Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:51 pm
So what does Si think of the song?
Why does that matter haha?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Vampires Who's Laughing Now?

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:57 pm

Oh no you must be afraid of upsetting someone. I'm just interested in general what people here think.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:21 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:57 pm
Oh no you must be afraid of upsetting someone. I'm just interested in general what people here think.
Why would I be afraid? I've always said what I think.
I'm sure I've already said on here that the first HV album didn't exactly blow me away. It was okay but I don't remember the last time I even played it. I thought the originals were probably the best things on it and hoped the second album would have less covers.. and it does! Of course that doesn't guarantee a better album.

If you really want to know the new song doesn't really do much for me. It's okay but nothing special. The songs they played on the tour sounded quite interesting though. Maybe it will grow on me.

Must admit I laughed when I saw you really liked it, as I know we have completely different tastes in music haha!
But that's what's great about Alice Cooper. The music can and does appeal to a real cross section of people as he's hit so many bases over the years.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:54 pm

It's bloodless. Not for me.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:05 am

been listening now several times ... Seems it works better without looking at the vid :)
not really "sung" by Alice...
waiting now for the rest of it..
you really wouldn't understand..

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:06 am

This wasn't bad at all...nice heavy grind going on.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:01 pm

Si wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:21 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:57 pm
Why would I be afraid? I've always said what I think.
I'm sure I've already said on here that the first HV album didn't exactly blow me away. It was okay but I don't remember the last time I even played it. I thought the originals were probably the best things on it and hoped the second album would have less covers.. and it does! Of course that doesn't guarantee a better album.

If you really want to know the new song doesn't really do much for me. It's okay but nothing special. The songs they played on the tour sounded quite interesting though. Maybe it will grow on me.

Must admit I laughed when I saw you really liked it, as I know we have completely different tastes in music haha!
But that's what's great about Alice Cooper. The music can and does appeal to a real cross section of people as he's hit so many bases over the years.
I think he polarises fans here as a lot of people like the dumbed down metal Alice and a lot like the more rock with brains approach. Someone on the tour forum was salivating about possibly hearing Freedom and Snakebite which are just ham fisted, generic and atrocious. To be honest they could have been recorded by any two bit hair spray band.

I like to see Alice challenging himself and hopefully he will here as this is, odd as that seems, more of a band. Alice is an equal rather than being in total control which we haven't seen since the original band.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:42 am

I like WLN? however, it does seem to be a bit generic.
For an advance release from Rise, the single could get some airplay ahead of the actual album drop.
It contains a solid Bass/Guitar Riff. Catchy Sing-a-Long refrain could be a "Live" standout!
Bottom line is WLN? rocks.xjumpingx
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:24 am

" I think he polarises fans here as a lot of people like the dumbed down metal Alice and a lot like the more rock with brains approach. Someone on the tour forum was salivating about possibly hearing Freedom and Snakebite which are just ham fisted, generic and atrocious. To be honest they could have been recorded by any two bit hair spray band.

I like to see Alice challenging himself and hopefully he will here as this is, odd as that seems, more of a band. Alice is an equal rather than being in total control which we haven't seen since the original band."

And a lot of people like both as well. Fact is that without the hairspray years we wouldn't have had the comeback and we most likely wouldn't be here now. I'm not a huge fan of the period but:

- Although I had liked the wilderness years albums it was a one way street to oblivion in my eyes and I had been worried about what if anything would follow DaDa.

- I remember listening to Constrictor for the first time and thinking that there were clear signs of a future for Alice. It made me hopeful and I liked a number of the tracks.

- Raise Your Fist felt like a step forward at the time. A bit too metal for me then but I did love Freedon and Gail is still a stand out track for me.

- First time I heard Poison it was on breakfast TV. I completely flipped for the video and the song as it instantly felt that he had nailed it visually and musically at the time. I was nearly as excited as when I first came across Alice Cooper (School's Out on ToTP) Brilliant memory. Didn't like more than three tracks on the album though..

- I'm a fan of Hey Stoopid as it felt less metal to me at the time. I'd far prefer to see him play Wind up Toy or Die For You but I'll be delighted if it's Snakebite.

He certainly does polarise some here but that's not surprising given the range of material and it's fine as long as there is respect for other opinions. As a body of work though it really is quite impressive for its breadth and depth is it not?

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:13 pm

It's a great song and would put money on it being Alice's lyrics here (don't ask me how much) but It has that playful quality in the rhyming, something I don't reckon Depp or Perry would do.
Depp's input too is great, I like how he's established a place for his voice and doesn't seem to strain it to be something that it isn't. It adds well to the song.
All in all, I really enjoy it and already has my interest moreso than what was on the first album. Even the artwork, whilst simple, is more appealing to me. Even if it turns out not to be as great as Alice's own, it has my interest given the amount of control the others seem to have over the project ... we'll be listening to Alice in ways he wouldn't normally
perform. Better or worse, I like how the freedom it affords him.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:48 pm

I love all eras of Alice but my favorite eras are from 1986 to 2000. Prefer those to the original band and the early solo bands. Just a matter of personal tastes and dont see all those songs as "dumbed" down. The hair band albums were what was current at the time. It is the music business and I loved what Alice was doing at the time.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:38 am

del wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:24 am
" I think he polarises fans here as a lot of people like the dumbed down metal Alice and a lot like the more rock with brains approach. Someone on the tour forum was salivating about possibly hearing Freedom and Snakebite which are just ham fisted, generic and atrocious. To be honest they could have been recorded by any two bit hair spray band.

I like to see Alice challenging himself and hopefully he will here as this is, odd as that seems, more of a band. Alice is an equal rather than being in total control which we haven't seen since the original band."

And a lot of people like both as well. Fact is that without the hairspray years we wouldn't have had the comeback and we most likely wouldn't be here now. I'm not a huge fan of the period but:

- Although I had liked the wilderness years albums it was a one way street to oblivion in my eyes and I had been worried about what if anything would follow DaDa.

- I remember listening to Constrictor for the first time and thinking that there were clear signs of a future for Alice. It made me hopeful and I liked a number of the tracks.

- Raise Your Fist felt like a step forward at the time. A bit too metal for me then but I did love Freedon and Gail is still a stand out track for me.

- First time I heard Poison it was on breakfast TV. I completely flipped for the video and the song as it instantly felt that he had nailed it visually and musically at the time. I was nearly as excited as when I first came across Alice Cooper (School's Out on ToTP) Brilliant memory. Didn't like more than three tracks on the album though..

- I'm a fan of Hey Stoopid as it felt less metal to me at the time. I'd far prefer to see him play Wind up Toy or Die For You but I'll be delighted if it's Snakebite.

He certainly does polarise some here but that's not surprising given the range of material and it's fine as long as there is respect for other opinions. As a body of work though it really is quite impressive for its breadth and depth is it not?

Well we've had the hair spray stuff saved Alice and he wouldn't be here today without it debate before. It's a crock of course. Him giving up drugs and alcohol is why he is here today. He could have easily gone the classic rock approach or the New Wave approach and still be around. He still sold out venues in the UK in 82 despite having played only a handful of dates there since 71 or so. His label had given up on him in the early 80s and didn't promote him. Sober Alice, record company backing and a stage show he would have been fine.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:47 am

cooperrocks wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:48 pm
I love all eras of Alice but my favorite eras are from 1986 to 2000. Prefer those to the original band and the early solo bands. Just a matter of personal tastes and dont see all those songs as "dumbed" down. The hair band albums were what was current at the time. It is the music business and I loved what Alice was doing at the time.
While I understand you liking this stuff it would be very hard to argue it was not dumbed down. Pull out the lyric sheets on those albums. Pitiful and pandering. That whole era was thankfully quashed by the speed metal bands, grunge et al.

It is hardly stuff he is going to be remembered for

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:44 am

Like it quite a bit, sounds more rock than the first HV album not that I don't like that album but this is more heavy rock than 1st one and I see it being quite successful for the band and I think they finally found their sound on this new album. Can't wait to hear the entire album.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:30 pm

https://genius.com/Hollywood-vampires-w ... now-lyrics
OK, perhaps more Depp like than Alice like, lyrics wise.
Eager to hear some more now... some interesting song titles - 'How The Glass Fell' .. 'The Wrong Bandage'. I have no idea what these could be like from the title alone!

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:54 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:47 am
cooperrocks wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:48 pm
While I understand you liking this stuff it would be very hard to argue it was not dumbed down. Pull out the lyric sheets on those albums. Pitiful and pandering. That whole era was thankfully quashed by the speed metal bands, grunge et al.

It is hardly stuff he is going to be remembered for
It is subjective though. You can make the same argument was something like "Sickthings," "Cold Ethyl", "I Love the Dead". I love those songs but they are fun, tongue in cheek songs but not particularly thought provoking. Music styles change. The Trash album was very commercial and it completely worked in terms of "Poison" being a big hit, it solds lots. For many fans "Poison" and to a lesser extent because of Wayne's World "Feed My Frankenstein" is kind of the definitive Alice song for them. Some of it depends on the age. Alice has always had those types of songs which is part of the charm in my opinion. I will also throw in for many the tour for Raise Your Fist and Yell was the best stageshow Alice ever had.

P.S. Let me throw in though I like a few speed metal bands plenty of their lyrics are cheesy.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:01 pm

AliceFan wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:44 am
Like it quite a bit, sounds more rock than the first HV album not that I don't like that album but this is more heavy rock than 1st one and I see it being quite successful for the band and I think they finally found their sound on this new album. Can't wait to hear the entire album.
Without having heard the album how can you say they finally found their sound?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:04 pm

ElectedPlus wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:30 pm
https://genius.com/Hollywood-vampires-w ... now-lyrics
OK, perhaps more Depp like than Alice like, lyrics wise.
Eager to hear some more now... some interesting song titles - 'How The Glass Fell' .. 'The Wrong Bandage'. I have no idea what these could be like from the title alone!
How The Glass Fell could be about the Amber Heard incident.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:59 pm

like it. not sure i'd be tempted for a concert ticket or to buy the album just yet, but i like the idea that it's mostly original material rather than covers - though i am looking forward to Peaople Who Died.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:18 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:38 am
del wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:24 am

Well we've had the hair spray stuff saved Alice and he wouldn't be here today without it debate before. It's a crock of course. Him giving up drugs and alcohol is why he is here today. He could have easily gone the classic rock approach or the New Wave approach and still be around. He still sold out venues in the UK in 82 despite having played only a handful of dates there since 71 or so. His label had given up on him in the early 80s and didn't promote him. Sober Alice, record company backing and a stage show he would have been fine.
The health issue is obviously acknowledged and had to be resolved to put him in a position to have any sort of a future.

I was focussing purely on the commercial career though which was tanking. A change was needed and the one he choose when cleaned up and thinking commercially ultimately delivered the turnaround spectacularly well. So, on a musical direction level I think it's obvious that we wouldn't be here today without it.

As to other options:

New Wave - I liked his music of the period but never saw him as as genuinely new wave act and didn't know anybody who thought otherwise. A long shot for a commercailly successful career for the next 30 plus years.

Classic Rock - yep, could have done that. Would it have got him back at the top of the charts and captured a new audience to boot? Another long shot in my mind, but potentially with more legs commercially.

Sure the '82 tour was great but also proved a point to me. People predominantly went to see the original Alice from '72 or '75. He was effectively a nostalgia act already by then. He clearly still had an audience but wasn't giving them what they wanted on vinyl as the the subsequent sales of Zipper or DaDa proved and they were certainly advertised in the music press at a reasonable level at the time.

A re-booted original Alice for the current generation of rock fans proved to be the winning formula and set up the future. I'm at a loss to understand why this is not the case.