Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Re: The Complete Failure of Good To See You Again

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:03 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:32 pm
I think you make some good points Mestreech. There does seem to be evidence to support Michael's claim. A product was turned in that was basically un-releasable. It was little short of a crime. Imagine what Penthouse thought when that Turkey was delivered.

Again the blame falls on Shep. Done right the movie could have made way more than him pocketing the money for Alice's solo album.
back in those days it seemed Shep had a strip mining approach to many things. Over all it has served the artists and fans very poorly

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:29 pm

A couple of things you seem to be missing.
1) There wasn`t a big market for concert films in 1974. There was no home/retail market to speak of. Just theatre runs to recoup money.

2) Chances are when the idea to do the film came up Shep went around looking for anyone who would invest in the project. He went with Penthouse (presumably the best offer he got), who while being a sizable publishing company were not a film studio. They were prepared to put up some money to make the film, but it all likelihood it wasn't that much, as the likely return was limited (see point 1)

3. It was put together by Joe Gannon, a theatre/stage director NOT a film director. It's quite possible he didn't completely know who to light the stage for film. or the best way to film a show.

4. It's also possible the film was primarily made as a quality record of the B$B show, with the theatrical release aiming to cover the costs of making it. All concerned presumably realised the end result was lacking and that would explain why it wasn`t officially released commercial on VHS/DVD etc for decades.

5. It's unlikely that Alice/Shep knew they was going solo during the B$B tour when it was filmed. They did another group album and tour after it was filmed.

To suggest Shep just pocketed all the money, thus causing a poor film is very unlikely. There probably wasn't that much money to start with! If anything he saved the band money by getting Penthouse to pay for it!!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:44 pm

1) Alice Cooper was a trend setter. They could have easily made the movie an event. Huge concert crowds in the US and an audience starved and dying to see in the UK and Europe. The live show was not just a concert it was a SHOW! No one was doing anything remotely like it at the time.

2) Why would Penthouse even bother if they expected limited returns? Alice Cooper and Penthouse should have been a marriage made in heaven. Magazine tie in with the band come on! Imagine the controversy with the younger fans not being able to buy that issue. Publicity heaven.

3). Agreed on Joe. Probably a cheap choice though not a wise one. He would have been better as an advisor to a hungry up and coming director. According to AM in AS fanzine, Alice wrote the bulk of the sketches so the buck stops there in that one.

4) I'm sure Penthouse saw the finished product as garbage and pretty much in releasable.

5) It would be naive to believe Alice solo hadnt been discussed MANY times. Tour and MOL could have been contractual. Also albums were released very close together in those days. without MOL, the gap between bdb s and wtmn would have been very lengthy. A live album would have been the logical move to catch a breath and remain in the public eye.

5) Michael was there and I haven't heard of him being contradicted re where did the money go. I tend to believe him.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:48 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:44 pm
Michael was there and I haven't heard of him being contradicted re where did the money go. I tend to believe him.
MB was the first to admit straight up that they brought the chickens. He wasn't exactly a team player, because he'd tell the unvarnished truth, but he has always been very believable. I must say in Alice's defense that there was a point where he said (paraphrasing) "Who brings a chicken to a concert?" I knew then that he was trying to clear the air of a long-standing lie.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Glen called Michael's book " Lumpys Book Of Lies " or something of that nature. Side bar was Michael's pic erased off the cover of the DVD by someone in the Cooper camp or by Rhino?

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:24 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:02 pm
Glen called Michael's book " Lumpys Book Of Lies " or something of that nature. Side bar was Michael's pic erased off the cover of the DVD by someone in the Cooper camp or by Rhino?
Oh, yeah. I had forgotten that...and the ancient pottery which was stolen from an art gallery, painted over and sold to another gallery or whatever.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:00 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:36 pm
Does anyone know if Dennis addresses the movie in his book?
I have Dennis' book and yes he does. Dennis also describes the movie in less than flattering terms, criticizing such things as the lack of lighting (except on Alice and sometimes the stage show) and the skits.

Ted

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:45 pm

found some interesting facts on GTSYA on ... wikipedia ! they tell the story about the two versions and the failure at the box office.
As they call it : a glimpse of the far less family friendly AC , in comparison with the AC that was to appear a few years later on the WTMNM video.
I read about this movie in 1974 ( when Alice was at his peak, why such a title ?) , but had to wait till a few years ago to see it.. Must say it didn't meet the expectations..
you really wouldn't understand..

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Alice uses the term " GTSYA " when addressing the crowd during the encore. It really is a terrible title. " Sick Things " would have been much better.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:02 pm

Went to watch the concert element on Amazon prime only to realise that unlike the DVD you cant watch just the concert (duh)...i lasted about 10min.

The only reason anyone would wan't this is to watch just the concert feature, shall need to dig out my DVD

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:34 pm

I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed the concert footage despite the issues we have discussed. The Nixon ending was truly inspired. Lovely stuff.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:27 am

Since it's been on dvd I think I have only watched the concert footage option - I have no recollection if the dvd had the old film clips version included or the band comedy routines.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:45 am

Comedy routines.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:03 am

Toronto Bob wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:27 am
Since it's been on dvd I think I have only watched the concert footage option - I have no recollection if the dvd had the old film clips version included or the band comedy routines.
Same here-the "Comedy Sketches" are pretty bad to be charitible. Tend to watch only the concert footage and even though that footage could be better presented, the band sounds great.
Actually managed to snag a copy of the PENTHOUSE that had the Alice interview and they do mention the film and some good photos in there.Also recall Alice saying that the movie's beauty "...It's just so SILLY that it's refreshing" to interviewer Ken Kelley-was thinking KK might have been the illustrator for Warren publishing and KISS album covers, but probably not.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:48 am

Dennis condemns the film in his book and says all the band hated it. I understand the shep conspiracy theories but to me it was a case of handing too big a project to an amateur director and trying to squeeze as much money out of the band without the proper preparation. A wasted opportunity. A great concert film tied in with a double live album would have put the band in the stratosphere and given more time to polish MOL.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:08 pm

Watch the concert only version but with Alice's commentary. Superb.