Alice and Big Country

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

jram
Killer
Killer

Alice and Big Country

Post by jram » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:27 pm

When did Alice tour with Big Country, was that the Special Forces tour?

Pete Wishart MP mentions it in this brief interview snippet, regarding his background playing for The Skids, Big Country, and Runrig.
https://twitter.com/JOE_co_uk/status/11 ... 8977996801

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice and Big Country

Post by Si » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:33 pm

jram wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:27 pm
When did Alice tour with Big Country, was that the Special Forces tour?
Yes, although they didn`t do the whole tour. If I remember they were thrown off the tour for some reason.

jram
Killer
Killer

Post by jram » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:36 pm

Pete Wishart does mention that that tour was the end of Big Country, or certainly his part in the band - which would be a very viable reason, if they imploded mid-tour.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:37 am

Odd choice for a support. I have no memory of them playing in Ardwick Green. I could well have been in the boozer though.

The Heavy Metal Kids supporting Alice in 75 where great. I was a life long fan after that.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:30 am

I remember the reports of the the tour at the time saying the support band were going down so badly they were getting bottles thrown at them. I was slightly disappointed it had been changed by the time of the Glasgow gig as I was looking forward to seeing what made this band so bad.

They featured two Alice tracks on their 2001 covers album Undercover, released many years later, so I guess it maybe didn't put them off their appreciation of the Coop much.

Here they are covering I'm Eighteen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RTV_62I8oI

And the slightly more surprising choice of Teenage Lament '74.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFs8f1z3-HM

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:33 am

jram wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:36 pm
Pete Wishart does mention that that tour was the end of Big Country, or certainly his part in the band - which would be a very viable reason, if they imploded mid-tour.
Took this from an article on Big Country...it was still a year or so before they had their first hit

"A support slot with Alice Cooper went disastrously too, the band’s half-baked sound grating on an audience looking for glam-metal thrills. By the second night of the tour, Cooper’s tour manager was on the phone to Grant: “Your band’s off the bill, no arguing”.