Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice Coopergroup - Record Store Day release

Post by Si » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:05 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:30 pm
All that was said to say, how in the world can a person not open the shrink wrap to see what's inside? It would drive me crazy. :D
Get two :)

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:48 pm

I just don’t see how it is an issue. Most albums are released on vinyl, CD, and digital today, and there are plenty of albums with limited vinyl pressings that fetch more or around what you can get for most of your mass produced 70s and 80s albums, and those original vinyls resell prices haven’t been hurt by the newer technologies especially with the vinyl craze of the past decade. What tends to hurt the resell price of vinyl is repressing new vinyl editions. Many labels and bands repress albums on vinyl that are fetching high prices, because they know there is a demand there, and it puts money back into the pockets of the band or label while lowering the price of the original. Even then however, many of the represses have been so subpar that the resell price of the original has gone back up.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:29 pm

guttertrash wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:36 pm
Let’s also be honest, you can find pretty much anything ripped and given away digitally these days, so why take money out of the artists pocket by not releasing something digitally?
You've answered your own question. If the copy code protection isn't enabled & in the USA you're allowed by law for a copy for you personal use. So what's to really stop the bootleggers from cashing in? Are they scared about the Feds catching them ? Not likely. A Limited Vinyl release makes their enterprise a little more difficult. But, if down the road it's released digitally it's "Payday!" All digital releases are available to be ripped & offered "en masse" :( No return for the artist at all. :nono:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:21 pm

Except that there would be people who purchase the digital copy and don’t just grab it on a file sharing network.

So what would make more money for the artist? 3,000 vinyl only or the vinyl release plus some digital sales on top? Yes, the album would end up on file sharing networks, but I guarantee there would be people who buy it through itunes and the like, as well as, some people who actually buy the vinyl will still pay for the digital also, so they could listen to it elsewhere. There would also be streaming service royalties which are not much, but that along with digital sales will still add up to more than just selling 3,000 pieces of vinyl alone.

This is the nature of the beast. It’s why most bands and artists have given into the digital age, because while there are drawbacks to having people give away your music, such as it being a detriment on widescale sales when involving a major album release. An established artist would end up making more by also releasing the music digitally than just selling a limited vinyl release of a few thousand pieces.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:41 am

guttertrash wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:21 pm
Except that there would be people who purchase the digital copy and don’t just grab it on a file sharing network.

So what would make more money for the artist? 3,000 vinyl only or the vinyl release plus some digital sales on top? Yes, the album would end up on file sharing networks, but I guarantee there would be people who buy it through itunes and the like, as well as, some people who actually buy the vinyl will still pay for the digital also, so they could listen to it elsewhere. There would also be streaming service royalties which are not much, but that along with digital sales will still add up to more than just selling 3,000 pieces of vinyl alone.

This is the nature of the beast. It’s why most bands and artists have given into the digital age, because while there are drawbacks to having people give away your music, such as it being a detriment on widescale sales when involving a major album release. An established artist would end up making more by also releasing the music digitally than just selling a limited vinyl release of a few thousand pieces.
And what about U2's "Songs Of Innocence"? A digital release give-away dropped into devices w/iTunes that no one needed or wanted to fill up their devices. ::((: Not saying that this would be a give-away but, once released digitally it would be. So, whatever profit to be had would be from a "Limited" vinyl release.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:59 am

Si wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:05 pm
padre_sliprat wrote:
All that was said to say, how in the world can a person not open the shrink wrap to see what's inside? It would drive me crazy. :D
I did that with a pair of Late '60's Hot Wheels cars that I found in the original packaging at a Flea Market.
I opened one & still found that the "Deora" still was lame. :hang: It had no weight in the rear & would alway's fly off track. ::((:

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:00 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:41 am
[quote=guttertrash post_id=300268 time=<a href="tel:1540588860">1540588860</a> user_id=999]

And what about U2's "Songs Of Innocence"? A digital release give-away dropped into devices w/iTunes that no one needed or wanted to fill up their devices. ::((: Not saying that this would be a give-away but, once released digitally it would be. So, whatever profit to be had would be from a "Limited" vinyl release.
[/quote]

Songs of Innocence cannot be used for this argument. U2 worked out a deal which got them paid well for the “give away” of their album. Whereas Paranormal was the number 1 selling album on the itunes rock charts in 12 countries, so I don’t see how that can be considered a mere give away since apparently quite a few people BOUGHT digital copies of the album for it to be on the itunes charts. This also did not stop sells of the physical copy either since it hit the top 6 or better on the charts in the U.S., Britain, Germany, Sweden, Belgium, and Australia. Vinyl collectors and those who prefer the usually superior sound of vinyl over digital are also not going to just opt for something they have no desire for, so there is a market for both.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:27 am

Also much of the time, an album leaks before it is released by a week or so which means that the original leak generally stems from a physical copy (generally a CD) that was given away for promotional purposes or somebody from a store getting a copy in advance and ripping it and then uploading it to a file locker or torrent site, because there is no way to obtain a copy earlier from a digital site.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:30 am

guttertrash wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:00 am
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:41 am
[quote=guttertrash post_id=300268 time=<a href="tel:1540588860">1540588860</a> user_id=999]Whereas Paranormal was the number 1 selling album on the itunes rock charts in 12 countries, so I don’t see how that can be considered a mere give away since apparently quite a few people BOUGHT digital copies of the album for it to be on the itunes charts. This also did not stop sells of the physical copy either since it hit the top 6 or better on the charts in the U.S., Britain, Germany, Sweden, Belgium, and Australia. Vinyl collectors and those who prefer the usually superior sound of vinyl over digital are also not going to just opt for something they have no desire for, so there is a market for both.
This is a little misleading, as the main UK and US charts at least (don`t know about the others) also INCLUDE numbers for digital sales AND streaming. They aren`t just physical copy sales.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:51 am

My point is that people are buying enough digital and physical copies to get Alice in the charts. Digital music does not equate to a free downloading bonanza. Free copies of music do end up in people’s hands, but it is generally started with a CD and once the album is released digital copies get shared, however many digital copies are bought.

So if you take for instance the original idea that this RSD vinyl was sold and then six months to a year later, it is released via digital means. The album would be long sold out on vinyl, and Alice would receive money for some digital sales, as well as, from the streaming sites such as Apple Music or Spotify.

My other point is that the economics of such a situation would be in favor of Alice and not against him. The only issue would be that possibly resell of the vinyl would not be as large for somebody who bought it to maje money off of later, but there is nothing that proves such considering that many limited vinyls fetch a nice resell even though there are CDs and digital listening available for most these days.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:59 am

ok, to change the subject, I am in a bit of a quandary. I signed up at a local vinyl store and they have informed me that a copy is available at £46. I am so tempted but not sure I can justify this outlay so close to Christmas. However it is a unique purchase. any thoughts or recommendations?

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:01 am

If you really want it, you should definitely buy it. It’s not going to get any cheaper unless you find a less than pristine copy down the road a bit.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:05 am

Make sure it is the full concert version which comes out in November and not the original two song version also.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:35 pm

good shout

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:25 am

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:59 am
Si wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:05 pm
padre_sliprat wrote:
I did that with a pair of Late '60's Hot Wheels cars that I found in the original packaging at a Flea Market.
I opened one & still found that the "Deora" still was lame. :hang: It had no weight in the rear & would alway's fly off track. ::((:
Wish I still had all my Hot Wheels. Started buying them in 68 when I was 8 years old. I must say that having them in the package would be nice, but the fun I had playing with them was worth it.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:33 am

I tried, gave up and placed an order with the dreaded Ebay for sixty. Fair price and I really don't care for the record thing since I don't have a player but since it's the old band and it's a collectable, I was sold LOL!
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:21 pm

just got my copy today from my cd store( that in the past delivered me the Battle Axe and the Halo of Ice cd that I had and have never seen elsewhere...)
Looking at the vid of Alice unfolding the package : the black sleeve isn't provided or was this just a package ?
To be continued tonight ! :alice:
you really wouldn't understand..

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:51 pm

I got mine today and it is a thing of absolute beauty. the packaging is superb. the booklet is wonderful, a foreword by DD. Lots of great glossy pics, a double sided poster featuring the gig on one side and the original group back in the day. The sound quality is really good. I was expecting the poor quality I heard on the youtube recordings but it is far better. The band are in excellent form and really enjoying themselves. Mike Bruce sings 'caught in a dream' and sounds really good. I am really happy with this. got it for £39. Bargain

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:27 am

I got one today at my local record store in Birmingham, AL for $32. They only had the one, but I was able to find one for my dad on ebay for $45.

I also agree with Dada. They did a great job on the whole package.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:42 pm

been listening to it : was great but one question : is there an issue with mono/stereo ( especially on Caught in a dream) or is it due to my system ? On the other side of the lp no problems..
you really wouldn't understand..