Urban Myths

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Urban Myths

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:56 pm

Has anyone watched Noel Fielding as Alice Cooper on the urban myths programme?

Think it may only be available in the UK.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: Urban Myths

Post by KeithGale » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:40 am

I have watched it, didn't enjoy it, though I may try again.
Noel Fielding just didn't cut it as Alice, his accent was not very good.
The thing that really annoyed me was making Alice foul mouthed, as we know Alice avoids bad language, so that didn't sit with me well, a small point, but it really irked me!!
I think the other actors put in good solid performances, I won't say any more as I know there are plenty of people who will be watching it.

Dazdot
Trash
Trash

Post by Dazdot » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:47 pm

I thought it was crap,probably due to the surrealism! :bam:

Paul
Killer
Killer

Post by Paul » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:12 pm

KeithGale wrote: The thing that really annoyed me was making Alice foul mouthed, as we know Alice avoids bad language, so that didn't sit with me well, a small point, but it really irked me!!
That's what really annoyed me. I have never heard Alice swear or even quoted as swearing.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:20 am

In regards to Alice not swearing, I would agree however he has done so on stage at least once on camera...."and, that really pisses me off" - It's The Little Things intro on the Brutally Live DVD.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:02 pm

In Bob Greene's book, Alice was quoted as using the f-word when talking to Ken (a limo driver) about a televised football game. The swearing didnt really bother me, it was some of the subjects he and the band talked about that I found troubling. In "Me, Alice", he used the f-bomb a few times as well - I believe a pillow was involved.

Anyway, he's human and that was BC (Before Christ). BTW - piss isn't a cuss word.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:27 pm

rgallie wrote:In regards to Alice not swearing, I would agree however he has done so on stage at least once on camera...."and, that really pisses me off" - It's The Little Things intro on the Brutally Live DVD.
I don`t consider that swearing. It's a normal expression used by many people, certainly over here (where that show was recorded).
Swearing would be using words that wouldn`t be allowed, for example, on daytime family TV. We all know the sort of thing. Saying you're pissed off wouldn`t cause anyone to raise an eyebrow.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:30 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:In Bob Greene's book, Alice was quoted as using the f-word when talking to Ken (a limo driver) about a televised football game. The swearing didnt really bother me, it was some of the subjects he and the band talked about that I found troubling. In "Me, Alice", he used the f-bomb a few times as well - I believe a pillow was involved.

Anyway, he's human and that was BC (Before Christ). BTW - piss isn't a cuss word.
There are articles that feature Alice swearing in more recent years but in at least one case we know from someone who was there that the journalist had added the words to spice up his article. Alice never said them.

The same I think as been suggested about Greene's book, but I wouldn`t be surprised if Alice, in his youth, worried less about such things.

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Really enjoyed it, watch the series it's very funny, different sort of humour yes, similar to say 'Murder Most Horrid' or 'Ripping Yarns'. I thought Noel Fielding played the part very well. Give it another go, I will for sure. :rotfl:

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:37 am

In regards to swearing, Alice hearkens back to the glory days of the Borscht Belt comedians. I remember reading an article where he eluded to such, stating it's easy to swear, but it's much wittier when you can substitute a word in place of the swear word. Alice learned well by studying the masters.

One example, and it may be somewhere here in the archives is Alice talking about the added verse to Generation Landslide" on Special Forces. I believe it was written as "No one gives a fuc* about prom night or football", but Brian Nelson reminded Alice, that Alice never curses and it was changed to "Oink".

You can see Alice using this countless times in his career in his lyrics. Again--old school genius!

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:43 am

Si wrote: There are articles that feature Alice swearing in more recent years but in at least one case we know from someone who was there that the journalist had added the words to spice up his article. Alice never said them.

I read that article, and those words didn't ring true. It was obvious that some 'creative' editing was done to spice things up.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 am

mr.barlow wrote:In regards to swearing, Alice hearkens back to the glory days of the Borscht Belt comedians. I remember reading an article where he eluded to such, stating it's easy to swear, but it's much wittier when you can substitute a word in place of the swear word. Alice learned well by studying the masters.

One example, and it may be somewhere here in the archives is Alice talking about the added verse to Generation Landslide" on Special Forces. I believe it was written as "No one gives a fuc* about prom night or football", but Brian Nelson reminded Alice, that Alice never curses and it was changed to "Oink".

You can see Alice using this countless times in his career in his lyrics. Again--old school genius!
As a teenager I remember thinking this lyric was just lame and embarrassing, mind you at that time I probably thought the Trash lyrics were a stroke of genius so there’s no accounting for taste on my part!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:29 am

I forgot to add that Alice carried over the 'oink" to Zipper. At the end of "I like Girls" with "Oink off!".

Also, I think Alice, or someone involved at the time, maybe Brian stated that the only time Alice used a curse word on a recording was in the line "if you can use your brain like you use your ass" which was followed with Alice going "ohhh" as to say "what did I just say".

I'm glad Alice kicked his demons but my God how I loved those years!

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:00 am

mr.barlow wrote:I forgot to add that Alice carried over the 'oink" to Zipper. At the end of "I like Girls" with "Oink off!".

Also, I think Alice, or someone involved at the time, maybe Brian stated that the only time Alice used a curse word on a recording was in the line "if you can use your brain like you use your ass" which was followed with Alice going "ohhh" as to say "what did I just say".

I did, too.

I never took the "ohhh" to mean what you did. I took it as an appreciation of "your ass."

Hunter

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:15 am

mr.barlow wrote:I forgot to add that Alice carried over the 'oink" to Zipper. At the end of "I like Girls" with "Oink off!".

"The law's on my ass every time I stick it out of the door."

who knows about 'buck and buck to make a buck'...

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:03 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:

I remember Wagner saying that it was originally "go fuc* and fuc* to make a buck", but Alice changed it.

I forgot about "Guilty". The pre-oink days.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:17 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
padre_sliprat wrote:

I remember Wagner saying that it was originally "go fuc* and fuc* to make a buck", but Alice changed it.

I forgot about "Guilty". The pre-oink days.
I’m ppretty sure Wagner said it was always buck and buck, wasn’t there an ass on L&W as well. I’ll check.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:22 pm

No there wasn’t . Just me talking out of mine!

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Babysquid wrote:I’m ppretty sure Wagner said it was always buck and buck, wasn’t there an ass on L&W as well. I’ll check.
There's ass as far as the eye can see in Cooperland. :laugh:

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:59 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:
Babysquid wrote:I’m ppretty sure Wagner said it was always buck and buck, wasn’t there an ass on L&W as well. I’ll check.
There's ass as far as the eye can see in Cooperland. Therefore, I conted that these people are infringing on Alice's copyright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI2tJAcmlck

Caution: Not child or work safe.