Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Vampires UK dates with the Darkness and the Damned

Post by Si » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:06 am

SickThings wrote:
Saint&Sinner wrote: What makes it worse is depp is the main attraction for 90% of people. Who is, a piss poor guitarist with zero stage presence. How sad.
One can argue "stage presence," but when I saw them perform, Depp was totally engaged with the crowd the whole show. I was rather surprised, as I had expected him to be too "cool" to interact, but he was constantly engaging with the audience: high-fiving people, pointing at them, making eye contact with them, playing to the crowd. He looked like he was having fun, and he gave the Depp fans in the audience exactly what they wanted. I came away a bigger Depp fan than I went in....

Hunter
My attitude to it all, despite what it may appear from what I say, is that Depp has a perfect right to be up there on stage. He's obviously a decent guitarist at the very least (some say he's very good). He co-wrote the original tracks on the album, both of which I like a lot more then the covers, and I think it's obvious he's having a great time doing what he always wanted to do. It's well known he went to LA to be a musician, not an actor, and now he is getting to play the big stages and live that dream. More power to him. Many of us in his situation would do exactly the same if they could.

My issue with it all, and I wouldn`t be surprised if Depp is uncomfortable about it as well, is the way the media are presenting it. It is all about Depp and what he is wearing and who he's dating etc, the gossip, and the music is barely mentioned in many of the articles.
Plus many of the people going to the shows it seems are fans of Depp the actor and no nothing about the music or even appreciate it. They go to gawk at Depp and couldn`t care less what he is playing which is a shame. I would bet many of them have hardly listened to the album (many of US have barely listened to it!) and would normally be listing to top 40 pop. If they own it it is only because Depp's name is on the credits.

At this point the HV are basically a cover's band and would be playing clubs etc for fun if it wasn`t for Depp being there forcing them into bigger venues than their sales probably justify. Seeing them in a club would probably be awesome under most circumstances. Seeing them in the biggest halls in the UK loses that feel completely, and the ticket fiasco just makes it all that much less appealing.

I've yet to get a ticket to any show as I have found nothing I'm prepared to pay the price for. I admit I'm being very picky here as I don`t want a crappy seat in a horrible venue. If it was standing I would be doing three shows and be all sorted by now, looking forward to meeting up with people and having a good time. With the seats that won't happen as so many friends are only doing one show and those there won`t be seated together. That to me isn`t worth the cost of tickets, hotels and other expenses, and the hours of driving.

My hope is that the new HV album is the reverse of the first. All original material with maybe a couple of covers, heavily reworked into their own style. Assuming the material is as good as the two tracks on the first album it would give them more validity as a true band and make them a more attractive proposition (to me). Of course even if it was the best album in years the mainstream press would still ignore it and we would still have the same issues, but at least there would be something to be excited about.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Si wrote: My issue with it all, and I wouldn`t be surprised if Depp is uncomfortable about it as well, is the way the media are presenting it. It is all about Depp and what he is wearing and who he's dating etc, the gossip, and the music is barely mentioned in many of the articles.
Plus many of the people going to the shows it seems are fans of Depp the actor and no nothing about the music or even appreciate it. They go to gawk at Depp and couldn`t care less what he is playing which is a shame. I would bet many of them have hardly listened to the album (many of US have barely listened to it!) and would normally be listing to top 40 pop. If they own it it is only because Depp's name is on the credits.
so what? if that name introduces more casuals to pick the album, that's all good. maybe they'll look ito Alice too and generate sales for him. this seems to be much the same argument we all have about Alice pandering to the casual fans and playing the same 15 songs every tour etc etc. None of us hardcore long-time fans like it but nothing's going to change and in this case it might actually give Alice a lot more press coverage than normal.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:19 pm

killer wolf wrote:
Si wrote: My issue with it all, and I wouldn`t be surprised if Depp is uncomfortable about it as well, is the way the media are presenting it. It is all about Depp and what he is wearing and who he's dating etc, the gossip, and the music is barely mentioned in many of the articles.
so what? if that name introduces more casuals to pick the album, that's all good. m
I agree that could be an upside to it all

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:56 pm

For Alice to tour major venues and sell exceedingly well, and then return to the same venues six months later and (probably) sell them out is phenomenal under any circumstances! If I'm sitting next to some middle aged milf who is only there to swoon over Depp then I couldn't care less, I'll still be drinking in every moment of watching Alice perform a set of songs, the majority of which I have never seen him do before! I genuinely believe this is going to be a great show! I hope the new album is great. Whatever you think of Depp and the media coverage it is pushing Alice's name out there in a big way!

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:28 am

I don't think of this as an upside. For me the HV is the worst thing Alice has done in decades. Id this is someone's only exposure to him they are getting a lousy, and distorted, view.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:25 am

ThePainAddict wrote:I don't think of this as an upside. For me the HV is the worst thing Alice has done in decades.
He obviously enjoys it, though. If it helps him continue to enjoy what he does, I'm all for it.

MVS 1009
Trash
Trash

Post by MVS 1009 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:45 am

I risk the accusation of being slightly cynical here (I am actually not but just trying to raise a smile) bearing in mind Shep and his autobiography where he openly discusses the merits of 'Guilt by Association' I cannot help feel this might be a classic example, and this time working in the favour of Alice.

Whilst Alice needs very little introduction to the music and media public having Johnny Depp in the band will surely widen his profile further and gain more publicity than normal in the weeks prior to the concerts and I fully expect to see a far more varied audience than a normal Alice concert.

I have no opinion on the merits of Mr Depp and his ability with a guitar and I am sure he is a very capable player, however I cannot help feel that Shep will consider this as a dream career move for Alice...ha ha!

GAZZ
Trash
Trash

Post by GAZZ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:56 pm

ThePainAddict wrote:I don't think of this as an upside. For me the HV is the worst thing Alice has done in decades. Id this is someone's only exposure to him they are getting a lousy, and distorted, view.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Totally agree. HV holds no interest for me i will save my money for Alices next UK tour . But each to there own to those going hope you enjoy it .

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:15 pm

dadascot wrote:For Alice to tour major venues and sell exceedingly well, and then return to the same venues six months later and (probably) sell them out is phenomenal under any circumstances! If I'm sitting next to some middle aged milf who is only there to swoon over Depp then I couldn't care less, I'll still be drinking in every moment of watching Alice perform a set of songs, the majority of which I have never seen him do before! I genuinely believe this is going to be a great show! I hope the new album is great. Whatever you think of Depp and the media coverage it is pushing Alice's name out there in a big way!
Can't speak for other venues but Glasgow is clearly not selling as quickly as it did last year which to me is no surprise at all. I'm sure there will be a good crowd there on the night but it will need to be worked hard to get there.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:22 pm

del wrote:
dadascot wrote:For Alice to tour major venues and sell exceedingly well, and then return to the same venues six months later and (probably) sell them out is phenomenal under any circumstances! If I'm sitting next to some middle aged milf who is only there to swoon over Depp then I couldn't care less, I'll still be drinking in every moment of watching Alice perform a set of songs, the majority of which I have never seen him do before! I genuinely believe this is going to be a great show! I hope the new album is great. Whatever you think of Depp and the media coverage it is pushing Alice's name out there in a big way!
Can't speak for other venues but Glasgow is clearly not selling as quickly as it did last year which to me is no surprise at all. I'm sure there will be a good crowd there on the night but it will need to be worked hard to get there.
According to the hydro site there is only 13 rows (none of them full rows) left! I know touts will have snapped up tickets but this seems good going to me!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Viagogo is saying that they only have 200 left! Don't know how much of that is BS but everyone else is saying only a few left.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:53 pm

dadascot wrote:Viagogo is saying that they only have 200 left! Don't know how much of that is BS
They were saying things like that as soon as tikcets went on sale. It's to make you panic and buy an inflated ticket.
Note some of these companies also list "recently sold" tickets and "x people looking at these tickets", again to try and make you buy.
Don`t believe anything you read on these sites. It's all just marketing.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:13 pm

Si wrote:
dadascot wrote:Viagogo is saying that they only have 200 left! Don't know how much of that is BS
They were saying things like that as soon as tikcets went on sale. It's to make you panic and buy an inflated ticket.
Note some of these companies also list "recently sold" tickets and "x people looking at these tickets", again to try and make you buy.
I realise that! It's all a huge con which is why I don't get del saying that it is selling slower! We can't know, except the official hydro site is saying that they are almost sold out! Not ticketmaster or viagogo but the venue itself! I guess we will see on the night!

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:57 pm

dadascot wrote:
del wrote:
According to the hydro site there is only 13 rows (none of them full rows) left! I know touts will have snapped up tickets but this seems good going to me!
I'm interested in the Hydro sales as, last November, blocks 324 to 335 (right at the back) were not used at all. They are currently all greyed out, but it would seem odd if they all sold out yet blocks in front of them still had seats. That suggests that they are either not going to be used or are on reserve and will only become available if it 'sells out'.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:48 pm

Hydro is not selling as well as last November. Blocks at the rear aren't on sale and they are filling the second tier from the middle out to the sides. Guessing maybe 5,500 to 6,000 max so far.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:04 am

I think the Hollywood Vampires sounded like a great idea on paper. I was really looking forward to the album, as I thought it had tremendous potential - as a tribute album. However, it's just kind of there for me, and I can't imagine there being a big demand for more of the Vampires at this point. The buzz from the media spectacle is over.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:14 pm

For me and this is obviously strictly an opinion but I am torn on the Hollywood Vampires thing. For me, I had no interest (though I did eventually buy the album) in the covers. I also disliked that four cover tunes that appeared in the middle of his solo set for multiple years. I would have much rather seen four songs of more obscure Alice songs played than that. However, Alice obviously should do what he wants to do and I respect that.

With the new Hollywood Vampires album allegedly being mostly new songs the project becomes a little more interesting to me but I hope that the HV tour schedule is very limited because I have no strong desire in the project overall.

I know it sounds like I am complaining and that is no my intention at all, but the Paranormal album for what is worth charted very well throughout the world. I know most people don't people for music anymore, but Alice's chart numbers were great overall for the Paranormal album (though I ironically it is not one of my favorite Alice albums and I actually slightly prefer solo Alice to to the original band. Based on what you read, it appears that there will be 3 or 4 songs possibly played off the new album this year on solo dates. I don't understand why it seems like pushing the new album live wasn't done last year when the album came out and was doing well on the charts.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:24 pm

cooperrocks wrote:it appears that there will be 3 or 4 songs possibly played off the new album this year on solo dates.
Alice to English translation:

"We will be playing Paranoiac Personality 3 or 4 times before it gets dropped, so we can play School's Out twice and extend the ever popular drum solo! Promoters are demanding three times, but maybe two will be enough if we throw in a second drum solo."
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:11 pm

dadascot wrote:
Si wrote:
I realise that! It's all a huge con which is why I don't get del saying that it is selling slower! We can't know, except the official hydro site is saying that they are almost sold out! Not ticketmaster or viagogo but the venue itself! I guess we will see on the night!
Trust me, it's selling slower than Alice last November. The top tier has not been made available for sale. As far as I know nowhere have they said they are nearly sold out. Many seats are not showing as available because they haven't been put on sale. exactly the same as in November. If sales go great they will release them but as yet there is absolutely no need. In this case some of the side seating in the second tier hasn't been made available yet either, presumably because the promoters have been cautious on numbers and don't want to pay for more than they need.

How do I know this? Easy, speak to folk I know...who know. It's actually just a more extreme (and digital) version of the approach most theatre venues or even stadiums have used for decades to sell seats for events which are not expected to sell out. Phased release.

As for the other sites, do as Si says and ignore them as it's just spin to make a sale.