Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream.

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Si, Gorehound, SickThings, Devon, Shoesalesman

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:36 pm
Location: holland

Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream.

Post by mestreech » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi,

as there is not a separate topic for this I create one.
In here we can discuss / dream / thoughts over / possible tracklists etc. etc. over the upcoming reissues.

First of all : I don't know if they ever will be released but I suggest speculate what you want. And please let this be a friendly topic so not too serious.

First I want to mention the School's out album.
It's strange that almost all of the early titles now have been reissued on vinyl but still NOT School's Out, at least not with the deskcover / pantys / card etc.
Maybe they are planning a super de luxe box with all content like : replica of the original vinyl / remastered cd and extra live concert / bonustracks like outtake(s) or demo (s) / luxe book / replica tourposter and program.
That would be very welcome.

Any thoughts?

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by Ted Sallis » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:54 pm

First of all, since you mentioned the SO album, in my view a reissue would be most welcome if it replicates everything in the original issue, plus the report card that came with the promo issue and additional photos, info. about the making of the album, etc. Also, bonus tracks (of course) not previously officially released need to be included, in which case I'm referring to a CD only reissue unless a 2 LP release is also made.

I don't know what the current status is re. the 2 ACG album reissues that I started my own topic about here early this year; both albums were supposed to come with a 2nd LP containing a live show by the original Group and maybe some other bonus tracks as well. There wasn't any reference to which albums would be reissued that I could find at the time of the announcement.

Ted

Babysquid
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 am

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by Babysquid » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:54 pm

Wasn’t School’s out reissued not too long ago by Friday Music? It was done as a gatefold and didn’t have the panties or fold out legs. Is there a modern B$B reissue with the cutouts and banknote?

User avatar
wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1020
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
Contact:

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by wind_up_toy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:07 pm

Babysquid wrote:Wasn’t School’s out reissued not too long ago by Friday Music? It was done as a gatefold and didn’t have the panties or fold out legs. Is there a modern B$B reissue with the cutouts and banknote?
Yup, School's Out was reissued on vinyl by Friday Music in 2009. It was gatefold (opening from the top rather than the side) but had none of the other goodies of the original. There has been a Japanese mini CD release that fully replicates the original vinyl (panties, report card etc).

B$B has been re-issued twice on vinyl with all the original goodies (a black disc in 2011 and green disc in 2016).
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:12 am

mestreech wrote:Hi,

as there is not a separate topic for this I create one.
In here we can discuss / dream / thoughts over / possible tracklists etc. etc. over the upcoming reissues.

First of all : I don't know if they ever will be released but I suggest speculate what you want. And please let this be a friendly topic so not too serious.

First I want to mention the School's out album.
It's strange that almost all of the early titles now have been reissued on vinyl but still NOT School's Out, at least not with the deskcover / pantys / card etc.
Maybe they are planning a super de luxe box with all content like : replica of the original vinyl / remastered cd and extra live concert / bonustracks like outtake(s) or demo (s) / luxe book / replica tourposter and program.
That would be very welcome.

Any thoughts?

Toronto Bob and I had a similar thread and gave ideas for bonus cuts. i think Amuk tried to derail. The search feature here makes it hard to find.

Babysquid
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 am

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by Babysquid » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:20 am

wind_up_toy wrote:
Babysquid wrote:Wasn’t School’s out reissued not too long ago by Friday Music? It was done as a gatefold and didn’t have the panties or fold out legs. Is there a modern B$B reissue with the cutouts and banknote?
Yup, School's Out was reissued on vinyl by Friday Music in 2009.
Was it really 2009? Wow how time flies.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:32 am

From pitkin88:
"i think Amuk tried to derail."

Your memory is probably faulty.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:01 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:25 am

I'd say Pitkin recalls things accurately.

A deluxe reissue of SO would be nice but for me to spend money on any AC reissues, it really needs to have quality music and video content. Coloured wax and baubles is not what I'm after.

Recent TB "Deluxe" set purchase

Zappa Halloween '77 (6 complete shows on a usb stick equivalent to 18 cd )
Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary (complete 1978 show, 5.1 remix assorted videos on blu ray)

on pre-order:

Jethro Tull Heavy Horses 40th Anniversary (3cd+2dvd)
Zappa - Roxy complete (complete December 1973 Roxy run 7 cds)

these bands have done such a better job of preserving their history and offering fans quality archival releases.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:49 am

From Toronto Bob:
"I'd say Pitkin recalls things accurately."

Where is your evidence?

"A deluxe reissue of SO would be nice but for me to spend money on any AC reissues, it really needs to have quality music and video content. Coloured wax and baubles is not what I'm after."

I don't disagree but as has been discussed here many times, the cupboard appears to be quite bare and in fact, I had a meeting a few weeks ago with the gentleman who has been hired to oversee the possible reissue under discussion (along with a reissue of one other album) and apart from alternative versions (which vary in how different they are) of songs which have already been released, there isn't very much left and he has been through all the vaults. I don't know how much work if any has taken place since that discussion of if there have been any new discoveries but we can all have a good guess about that.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:36 pm
Location: holland

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by mestreech » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:58 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Toronto Bob:
"I'd say Pitkin recalls things accurately."

Where is your evidence?

"A deluxe reissue of SO would be nice but for me to spend money on any AC reissues, it really needs to have quality music and video content. Coloured wax and baubles is not what I'm after."

I don't disagree but as has been discussed here many times, the cupboard appears to be quite bare and in fact, I had a meeting a few weeks ago with the gentleman who has been hired to oversee the possible reissue under discussion (along with a reissue of one other album) and apart from alternative versions (which vary in how different they are) of songs which have already been released, there isn't very much left and he has been through all the vaults. I don't know how much work if any has taken place since that discussion of if there have been any new discoveries but we can all have a good guess about that.
I don't expect much like outtakes or demo's but I am hoping on a good live show and if possible some live video.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:10 pm

From mestreech:
"I don't expect much like outtakes or demo's but I am hoping on a good live show and if possible some live video."

Those would be good but the best recordings from the "School's Out" tour might be the bootleg recordings from either the Hollywood Bowl or from Munich and as for footage, the best would be the "In Concert" footage or the footage from Paris but neither of those are complete and both of those are owned by others as has already been discussed.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:17 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From mestreech:
"I don't expect much like outtakes or demo's but I am hoping on a good live show and if possible some live video."

Those would be good but the best recordings from the "School's Out" tour might be the bootleg recordings from either the Hollywood Bowl or from Munich and as for footage, the best would be the "In Concert" footage or the footage from Paris but neither of those are complete and both of those are owned by others as has already been discussed.

Someone owns the bootleg recordings of Hollywood Bowl? How so if it's a bootleg?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:58 pm

From pitkin88:
"Someone owns the bootleg recordings of Hollywood Bowl? How so if it's a bootleg?"

I don't understand the question or even know if you're asking two questions.

User avatar
Si
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3395
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 5:47 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by Si » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:07 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"Someone owns the bootleg recordings of Hollywood Bowl? How so if it's a bootleg?"

I don't understand the question or even know if you're asking two questions.
I think Pitkin is suggesting that as it's a bootleg why can`t they use it?
The answer is probably yes they probably could, BUT the sound, while good, isn`t professional quality, and it's been out as a bootleg for decades, and so everyone has heard it or can get it easily. For that reason it isn`t exactly rare or new to collectors so not much of "bonus".

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:12 pm

From Si:
"I think Pitkin is suggesting that as it's a bootleg why can`t they use it?"

I didn't say it couldn't be released though.

>The answer is probably yes they probably could, BUT the sound, while good, isn`t professional quality,

Exactly and that's why I referred to is as being on of "the best recordings" available, as opposed to something that was professionally recorded.

>For that reason it isn`t exactly rare or new to collectors so not much of "bonus".

I agree although you could say the same about the St. Louis recording which was released although that was a better recording.

User avatar
Si
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3395
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 5:47 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by Si » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:42 pm

I think the main thing many people are still having trouble with when it comes to quality or deluxe reissues of the early band albums is that unlike many other bands whose back catalogue has be reissued there really isn`t very much unheard material in existence. Certainly not enough for multi-disc box sets.

With some bands (like floyd, Zep) there is endless outtakes and experimental stuff but Alice Cooper simply didn`t have the time in the studio to do much more then what is actually on the albums. They were doing 2 albums a year and touring the rest of the time. What they wrote was generally used and if it wasn`t it likely wasn`t recorded in a studio at all, and is just on some ratty old tape (like the rehearsals we have all heard).

The revelation that there was a recording of "the Sound Of A" does raise the question of if DD has anything else hidden away, and I'm sure that has been followed up on. A release of the original recording of THAT would have been cool on the forthcoming single.
But I'm guessing that even the bands own personal tapes offer little we haven`t heard. I would love to be proved wrong though and I'm sure Andy would too.

That leaves video as the only recourse for a deluxe release. ABC in Concert SHOULD be released but as has been mentioned before, it seems the owners what way too much money for it's use for it to be cost effective, a great shame.
Many other clips have been released before on other projects, and most of what I know of has appeared over the years, even if just on YouTube (thus reducing it's value to us).

There has been some evidence that a small handful of shows MAY have been recorded complete, but the likelihood of the footage still existing is very slim, and I know a few things have been looked into in the past with no success.

It's a great shame in many ways, but there's little anyone can do. If it doesn`t exist they can`t release it, so the only route they can go would be the fancy packaging with memorabilia etc, which then gets accused of having little substance and just an attempt to cash in, which of course at their heart all deluxe reissues are anyway!

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Toronto Bob wrote: Recent TB "Deluxe" set purchase

Zappa Halloween '77 (6 complete shows on a usb stick equivalent to 18 cd )
Rush A Farewell to Kings 40th Anniversary (complete 1978 show, 5.1 remix assorted videos on blu ray)

on pre-order:

Jethro Tull Heavy Horses 40th Anniversary (3cd+2dvd)
Zappa - Roxy complete (complete December 1973 Roxy run 7 cds)

these bands have done such a better job of preserving their history and offering fans quality archival releases.
I'm not familiar with the other titles you list above, but IMHO the Rush release (in addition to a previous Rush album Anniversary release, I believe) isn't good enough overall to convince me to buy it. Both the AFTK and previous release include several cover versions of Rush songs from the respective albums, which I definitely believe don't belong.

Fortunately the same doesn't exist on either The Life & Crimes... nor the Old School box set.

Ted

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:58 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:...as has been discussed here many times, the cupboard appears to be quite bare and in fact, I had a meeting a few weeks ago with the gentleman who has been hired to oversee the possible reissue under discussion (along with a reissue of one other album) and apart from alternative versions (which vary in how different they are) of songs which have already been released, there isn't very much left and he has been through all the vaults. I don't know how much work if any has taken place since that discussion of if there have been any new discoveries but we can all have a good guess about that.
I/we still don't know the 2 albums under discussion for possible reissue (I assume because they are still under discussion), but having stated that, I have/have heard demos of quite a few ACG songs which have not yet been officially released, i.e. from LITD, Killer, SO and MOL.

Of course there is a reason (or reasons) why the songs in question haven't been officially released in demo form; I don't know what the reason(s) are but some of the songs I'm referring to are Second Coming, You Drive Me Nervous, Public Animal #9, Hard Hearted Alice and Man with the Golden Gun.

Ted

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:06 pm

From Si:
"I think the main thing many people are still having trouble with when it comes to quality or deluxe reissues of the early band albums is that unlike many other bands whose back catalogue has be reissued there really isn`t very much unheard material in existence."

Exactly. It is impossible to release something that doesn't appear to exist.

>With some bands (like floyd, Zep) there is endless outtakes and experimental stuff but Alice Cooper simply didn`t have the time in the studio to do much more then what is actually on the albums.

Yes and also, that point has been made many times and yet it does sometimes appear as if there are those who don't know that. Also, Dennis Dunaway himself has made that point many times in interviews.

>The revelation that there was a recording of "the Sound Of A" does raise the question of if DD has anything else hidden away,

As far as I'm aware, that was lost a long time ago and he had to rely on his memory to make the new version which he brought to the sessions for the current album. I wouldn't be surprised if he had stuff he has forgotten about though and Neal did have a recording of the Madison Square Garden show which he lent to us for the last box - set. Brian Nelson had a cassette which must have belonged to be band during 1970 or so but it seems to have been repeatedly recorded onto so all that's on it is just snippets of different sessions. It would be very difficult to make something listenable out of it.

> I would love to be proved wrong though and I'm sure Andy would too.

As Dennis has said, a lot of the time, they couldn't even afford to buy tape to record onto, so lots of stuff would have been lost.

>There has been some evidence that a small handful of shows MAY have been recorded complete,

Which recordings are you referring to?
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 5373
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Re: Forthcoming expanded titles original group. Let us dream

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:18 pm

From Ted Sallis:
"I have/have heard demos of quite a few ACG songs which have not yet been officially released, i.e. from LITD, Killer, SO and MOL."

Those would not be very different to those that appeared on "Old School", in that they would still be quite close to their final versions. There were a few recordings for "Billion Dollar Babies" that might have been interesting but the decision was made (not by me) that they didn't add anything (although I disagreed). The most interesting one was an instrumental version of "Billion Dollar Babies" which doesn't have the famous drumming going through it but a different pattern instead (if I remember correctly).

Post Reply