Glen’s secret harmonics on schools out

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

PFOLGORE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Glen’s secret harmonics on schools out

Post by PFOLGORE » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:40 am

If you isolate the guitar on schools out you can hear Glen playing harmonics on the bridge of the song. It is a magical experience, it’s a revelation about Glen that has been secret all theses years.

They must have gotten drowned out in the mix by the rhythm guitar on the album because I have never notice them before. There is a version of the isolated guitar on Schools Out on YouTube if you want to hear it.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Re: Glen’s secret harmonics on schools out

Post by Devon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:06 am

I always thought that was added for "Guitar Hero."

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:58 pm

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:09 pm

What is the source for this? The only way to get this recording would be to have access to the original master reels surely before they were mixed.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:53 am

Thanks for the link. Apparantly requesting one gets your post deleted here.

Seriously
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Seriously » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Si wrote:
What is the source for this? The only way to get this recording would be to have access to the original master reels surely before they were mixed.
Sorry Si, can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone could here.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Seriously wrote:
Si wrote:
Sorry Si, can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone could here.
Sorry, but this is not the original track.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Others seem to suggest that on the guys other posts.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:39 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Sorry, but this is not the original track.
I thought the same thing but it's very close and very well done. However a) I can`t see how the poster would have got hold of the original Warners tapes (if it is supposed to be GB), and b) I certainly can`t hear those harmonics on either the original, the Alice Does Alice version of the song, or the Hoffman remaster, and I would have though if it was there Hoffman wouldn`t have made sure you could hear it?

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:21 pm

This is a composite track of two or three guitars. Doesn't sound like the 1972 SO tones to me.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Wasn't there are program a few years back where you could remix School's Out?

PFOLGORE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by PFOLGORE » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:01 pm

When I listen to the original I can hear the harmonic notes a choir chorus bleed through under the feed back either from Glen playing the harmonic notes or a second guitar.

The YouTube track is too clean and too compartmentalized just to be some dude doing a redention of schools out and they would never do the harmonic notes in a stand alone rendition because frankly they only make sense in the full context of the song with bass and he medoldy of the chorus.

Let suppose that it is not Glen, and that is was just some super talented amateur guitarist, do his interpretation or School’s Out, why would he include the harmonics, that most people would not recognize, as opposed to playing a few bar chords that follow the melody of the song like ever other guitarist on YouTube.

So maybe it was not the final take, or mostly got washed out in the final mix, but I am like 90% sure that is Glen or Michael playing those notes, and judging from the unconventional style I would suspect that it is strongly suspect that it is Glen. Thank you Glen for the belated treat.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:41 am

The main riff does bare a striking resemblance to the original, particularly with the vibrato which gets missed or done incorrectly by many guitarists. I can only assume those harmonics were buried or omitted from the final mix. It's quite common for ideas like these to be layered in the recording process only to be forgotten about later on.

But I do agree with Si, I would be very interested to know where this isolated track came from. To my knowledge, the multi tracks have never been made available for it. Could this have been Hoffman? If so, then he's been a bit of a naughty boy here.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:23 pm

This is from Guitar Hero and the song was re-recorded for the game (I've played the game several times.) This is not the original recording. There are A LOT of "isolated" tracks on YouTube that come from that game since you can mute other instruments. The harmonics were probably for the game's purpose.

I have a copy of guitar tracks from the actual multi track through a program called "Jammit" and those harmonics are not present.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:27 pm

If anyone is interested, here is the full track from the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuP4yrK_U1w

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Devon wrote:This is from Guitar Hero and the song was re-recorded for the game (I've played the game several times.) This is not the original recording. There are A LOT of "isolated" tracks on YouTube that come from that game since you can mute other instruments. The harmonics were probably for the game's purpose.

I have a copy of guitar tracks from the actual multi track through a program called "Jammit" and those harmonics are not present.
Well that solves that. Thanks.
What is interesting is that I thought the Guitar Hero versions were the "Alice Does Alice" versions, but while the harmonics are clearly audible on that video, they still aren`t there on the ADA version (unless my hearing is worse then I though!). Two different mixes I suppose.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:16 pm

Si wrote:
Devon wrote:This is from Guitar Hero and the song was re-recorded for the game (I've played the game several times.) This is not the original recording. There are A LOT of "isolated" tracks on YouTube that come from that game since you can mute other instruments. The harmonics were probably for the game's purpose.

Well that solves that. Thanks.
What is interesting is that I thought the Guitar Hero versions were the "Alice Does Alice" versions, but while the harmonics are clearly audible on that video, they still aren`t there on the ADA version (unless my hearing is worse then I though!). Two different mixes I suppose.
The harmonics are probably there to give the player something to do in that section

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Yes that was the one I remembered. Here is a link with some info

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... ice_Cooper

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 pm

Make sure you read the comments as Dennis offers some insight.