Happy 30th Birthday RYFAY!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Happy 30th Birthday RYFAY!

Post by andyrew » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:20 am

Although not considered one of Alice’s best albums, I still find it entertaining after all the times I’ve listened to it. In particular, the last 3 songs flow very well, and would have loved to see where an album with a similar tone would have sounded like collectively. RYFAY is not an album that takes itself too seriously, although at times it does with songs like Prince of Darkness, Time to Kill and Roses on White Lace. But I think as an album, it works in accomplishing its purpose of entertaining with a B movie type theme. Dark humour and violence/gore. One of the things I like about this album is that the humour is dark and subtle and even when it may verge on getting too comical, the next song reverts back to being dark again.

Any thoughts on your first listen of RYFAY? Where would you have liked to see Alice take the tone of Constrictor after hearing RYFAY?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Happy 30th Birthday RYFAY!

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:24 am

andyrew wrote:Although not considered one of Alice’s best albums, I still find it entertaining after all the times I’ve listened to it. In particular, the last 3 songs flow very well, and would have loved to see where an album with a similar tone would have sounded like collectively. RYFAY is not an album that takes itself too seriously, although at times it does with songs like Prince of Darkness, Time to Kill and Roses on White Lace. But I think as an album, it works in accomplishing its purpose of entertaining with a B movie type theme. Dark humour and violence/gore. One of the things I like about this album is that the humour is dark and subtle and even when it may verge on getting too comical, the next song reverts back to being dark again.

Any thoughts on your first listen of RYFAY? Where would you have liked to see Alice take the tone of Constrictor after hearing RYFAY?

Another nail in the coffin after the sheer crap of Constrictor. One of the worst album covers ever. It looks like a stupid sock puppet or an oven glove. There is NOTHING subtle on this ham fisted excuse of an album. This was not the Alice Cooper I loved. These two albums caused me to wake up and stop the blind adulation.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:34 am

pitkin88 wrote: It looks like a stupid sock puppet or an oven glove.
:rotfl: brilliant I love it

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:39 am

I bought it back in 1990 from a mall in Vermont . I was just getting into Alice at the time and I got it on cassette with GTH, B$B and erm.. Freak Out at the same time. I think it was a bit heavy metal for me, I liked Gail though. I don't mind it so much now. I do like the cover though. I bring it out along with the temptations puzzle people and solid rock when I want to demonstrate how awful lp cover art can be.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:18 am

I'm saying it, for once and for all... I HATE this album. Not only is this NOT an Alice Cooper album (in my estimation), it is also very much not listenable. This record sucks. Love ya, Alice!
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:35 am

I think RYF is a real dividing line that helps show how diverse the fan base is, or more precisely where their tastes differ.
It's a heavy metal album. You can't honestly describe it as anything else. The problem with that is that Alice isn't, and never really has been, a heavy metal artist. Sure, there have always been elements of that in the mix and an album like 'Killer' is almost a blueprint for what would later become metal, but it isn't metal itself.

Having associated with all sorts of fans for years, there are clearly many different routes to 'Alice Cooper' musically. Pop, Punk, Glam, goth, garage, hard rock. In the end it doesn't really matter how you got here, just that you did.

But RYF is so far into the metal camp I think non-metal heads, like Pitkin, unsurprisingly don't like it. Nothing wrong with that but not that surprising.
Personally I grew into music at the very end of the 70s/early 80s just as bands like Maiden, Van Halen etc were coming through, so it wasn't such a problem. While the first side is a little goofy at times, side 2 is a masterclass in mid 80s heavy metal, mixed in with some Cooperesque horror themes. It has the metal riffs but also has a little 'I Love The Dead', and Alice's voice is fantastic.
It certainly is hurt but the terrible terrible cover though. Embarrassingly bad.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Well having been a Coop fan since I was a kid and I am now 37, I can safely say that for me, RYFAY is my all-timie favorite Coop album...Freedom is a perfect song, lyrically, musically it just captures Alice...however its side 2 especially the "trilogy" that captures the horror side of Alice perfectly...I never get tired of it and its still my biggest request to see these songs added at some point into the current live show....
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:09 pm

I like all eras of Alice but my favorite time frame is from 1986-2000. Raise Your Fist and Yell was a masterpiece in my opinion. One of my favorite Alice albums ever.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:11 pm

Si wrote:I think RYF is a real dividing line that helps show how diverse the fan base is, or more precisely where their tastes differ.
It's a heavy metal album. You can't honestly describe it as anything else. The problem with that is that Alice isn't, and never really has been, a heavy metal artist. Sure, there have always been elements of that in the mix and an album like 'Killer' is almost a blueprint for what would later become metal, but it isn't metal itself.

Having associated with all sorts of fans for years, there are clearly many different routes to 'Alice Cooper' musically. Pop, Punk, Glam, goth, garage, hard rock. In the end it doesn't really matter how you got here, just that you did.

But RYF is so far into the metal camp I think non-metal heads, like Pitkin, unsurprisingly don't like it. Nothing wrong with that but not that surprising.
Personally I grew into music at the very end of the 70s/early 80s just as bands like Maiden, Van Halen etc were coming through, so it wasn't such a problem. While the first side is a little goofy at times, side 2 is a masterclass in mid 80s heavy metal, mixed in with some Cooperesque horror themes. It has the metal riffs but also has a little 'I Love The Dead', and Alice's voice is fantastic.
It certainly is hurt but the terrible terrible cover though. Embarrassingly bad.
Good points throughout, Si. I certainly understand and appreciate the love for this album!
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:56 pm

I personally love this album, Alice at his most energetic!

The cover doesn't bother me at all, Along Came A Spider had a great one...
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:11 pm

Si wrote:I think RYF is a real dividing line that helps show how diverse the fan base is, or more precisely where their tastes differ.

Well said Si, I fully appreciate the vastly different tastes on this site. It seems that the albums that first got you into Alice are the ones people identify most with. I got into him through the greatest hits album followed by the special forces tour and I love both these eras. RYFAY is just painful to me! Painful to listen to and painful to look at THAT cover. Not Alice for me! Along with dragontown and ACAS an absolute pig in a poke! But if you like it more power to you!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:36 pm

I remember when I first listened to the album how thrilled I was to hear the power of it all after the very limp Constrictor. God how I wish "The World Needs Guts" got the production of RFAY.

I like this album quite a bit and I'm not much of a true "heavy metal" fan. My tastes are quite varied in music. With rock , I'm a huge fan of Motorhead (whom I never considered heavy metal), UFO, MSG (some call it metal) Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple and so forth. The reason that Alice has always been my favorite rock artist is due to his ability to try different styles. Also, Alice opened my ears to other genres that I as teenager I would never have considered "cool" to listen to. I credit Alice for opening up my musical world!

I think Alice was pumped after the success and energy of The Nightmare Returns tour and successfully harnessed the energy and power on RFAY. The Nightmare Returns tour was the first time Alice took total control of the stage and the character became more menacing than ever. Gone was the stumbling drunkard victim and in it's place came a dominant character that grabbed you my the throat!

The "Live In The Flesh" tour took the character even further making him for ruthless and vicious. I saw a few shows on that tour and I must say it was something to see. I watched one from the photo pit and made eye contact with Alice during the show when he was literally about a foot away from me. It's something I will never forget--the man looked possessed. Man was he into it on that tour!

I met and talked with him after that show and you would never have known it was the same guy that was on the stage. It was then I totally understood the whole "playing the character" thing. It was at that point I understood it was all showbiz---not to be taken too seriously!

The tours for Constrictor and RFAY were what made the comeback to the top possible. The albums not so much--but again--they are important milestones in his career. You have to remember it was "He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask)that started the rebirth. It did more for Alice's career than anything since probably "You & Me" which did more harm than good in the eyes of most Alice fans.

Also, it was great to get an album with The Nightmare Returns touring band as in my opinion it's one of the best bands he ever put together. I'm pretty sure they were going to do another tour and album but....the success of those two tours took Alice in a different direction.

Just remember--it wasn't Trash that was Alice's comeback. It was Constrictor and it's tour and RFAY and it's tour. Alice I'm sure will tell you that himself.

Also, I'm pretty sure Alice is quite fond of RFAY--bad cover and all!

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:35 pm

While I am really down on Constrictor, I think RYF&Y is a pretty good lp. I am not sure why the heavy metal format is a turn off to many. It seems people don't mind the nu metal of BP, which to me sounds even more derivative of said genre (it just oozes of Manson and Zombie).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:38 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Just remember--it wasn't Trash that was Alice's comeback. It was Constrictor and it's tour and RFAY and it's tour. Alice I'm sure will tell you that himself.
Also, I'm pretty sure Alice is quite fond of RFAY--bad cover and all!
Mr. B. You make some very good points here. May I elaborate where RYFAY sits w/me. Many here love DADA but after ZCS & DADA I knew Alice had gone off the rails & I lost contact. He was getting very little promotion a the time & I had purchased both of those Lp's as cut-outs @ Record Shows. It took until the "Prince Of Darkness" comp (on bargain cassette) that I bought anything again & purchased Constrictor (OK) & RYFAY (on CD) shortly thereafter. ROWL was awesome! I was Metal at the time w/many JP & Maiden tours under my belt. I enjoyed RYFAY better than Constrictor. But, Trash was the 1st album that I bought upon release since Special Forces. I haven't stopped buying the latest release since! :8):
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Agree with many of the points Si stated. Also agree with pitkin on the cover.

Far superior to Constrictor, only a couple of throwaways on this record and Side 2 is great. I liked this tour too. Saw it 2 or 3 times.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 pm

ThePainAddict wrote:While I am really down on Constrictor, I think RYF&Y is a pretty good lp. I am not sure why the heavy metal format is a turn off to many. It seems people don't mind the nu metal of BP, which to me sounds even more derivative of said genre (it just oozes of Manson and Zombie).

The Nu Metal of BP was coupled with well crafted songs with great lyrics. The humour and the power was there with that album. RYFAY was piss poor lyrics wrapped up in cliche ridden noodling predictable songs.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:03 pm

I am not a fan of heavy metal. I could have excused the music if the lyrics and songs were done with some skill and class. Sadly Alice wrote the worst lyrics of his career on RYFAY and Constipator. How did he go from the genius of Former Lee Warmer to crap like Step On You and Thrill My Gorilla?

I don't believe heavy metal has to be stupid. Iggy's Cold Metal ( I think this was around that time ) was just awesome. Thankfully Metallica and some others showed just what could be achieved.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:56 am

pitkin88 wrote:
ThePainAddict wrote:While I am really down on Constrictor, I think RYF&Y is a pretty good lp. I am not sure why the heavy metal format is a turn off to many. It seems people don't mind the nu metal of BP, which to me sounds even more derivative of said genre (it just oozes of Manson and Zombie).

The Nu Metal of BP was coupled with well crafted songs with great lyrics. The humour and the power was there with that album. RYFAY was piss poor lyrics wrapped up in cliche ridden noodling predictable songs.
Undoubtedly, the lyrics of BP were superior, but the music was more derivative. While RYF&Y was the metal of the times it didn't feel like it was exactly mimicking the riffs of other artists and there are some good lyrics: "back off preacher I don't care if it's Sunday" is a great line.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:16 am

The other huge turn off for me on this album is Alice's voice. The constant growl and strain in his voice. The lack of clear melody! Compare that to all the earlier albums where there is so much more variety in his vocals from song to song, even the power songs like public animal #9 didn't have that straining, rasping quality. To my ears that vocal performance coupled with the childish lyrics and screeching guitar just make it sound really amateurish! And, once again, THAT COVER!!

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:22 am

It's Poundland Alice: cheap; tacky; instantly disposable (as was 'Constrictor').