March 25 1967 Concord Armory, Concord CA

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

PFOLGORE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

March 25 1967 Concord Armory, Concord CA

Post by PFOLGORE » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:45 am

The Spiders played the Concord Armory, which is close to my home. Never knew they once held concerts there. A local rock historian states that the Spiders were a local band that inspired members of the Tower of Power. That contradicts this site and others are under the impression it was Alice Cooper at that time known as the Spiders. On the following day they played a music festival in Southern Cal, even though it is just a 5 hour drive I am having trouble with the logistics. Also nobody thinks of Concord when they think of the Bay Area, why would they do a gig here, when San Francisco is just a few minutes away with a lot of small venues. For this reason I think the Spiders were a local band and not Alice Cooper, please edit your website accordingly.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: March 25 1967 Concord Armory, Concord CA

Post by Si » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:30 am

The distances are really an issue. The band played all over the place, sometimes quite long distances apart. It's the fact there was another band of the same name in the area that makes it more likely it wasn't them. I've added a note.

PFOLGORE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Re: March 25 1967 Concord Armory, Concord CA

Post by PFOLGORE » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:58 am

For what it is worth, this is the original article.

March 25, 1967 Concord Armory, Concord, CA: Sir Douglas Quintet/The Spiders/Little Jimmie and The Goodtimers
Doug Sahm had been exiled to San Francisco due to an untimely pot bust in March, 1966. Possession of marijuana was a serious crime in Texas at that time. He found a performing home at the Avalon. In 1967, his Quintet was probably full of Texans, but the original band members were still on probation and would not rejoin him for another year. The Spiders were a tight, popular East Bay band, and a huge influence on the young musicians who would become Tower Of Power.

http://rockprosopography101.blogspot.co ... rd-ca.html