Hey Stoopid Opinions?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Hey Stoopid Opinions?

Post by cooperrocks » Tue May 27, 2014 7:54 pm

I know a lot of fans claim they dislike the hair band years, but I have to respectfully disagree. While I thought the "Trash" album was kind of bland as a collective whole, I think "Hey Stoopid" is one of Alice's better albums. "Might as Well Be On Mars" is terrific and I love songs like "Wind-up Toy" and "Love's a Loaded Gun." I think one of the reasons I have always been critical of a lot of the "Trash" album was because I really liked the "Raise Your Fist and Yell" album. That being said, the hair band albums were bigger sellers than anything Alice had done in a long time.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Hey Stoopid Opinions?

Post by concolz » Tue May 27, 2014 9:39 pm

1. It's more of a transition album than a 'proper' hair metal record.
2. It's better than the preceding trio combined.
3. All but one of the songs are at least pretty good, with some, like 'MAWBOM', 'HS' and WUT' being excellent. ('Dirty Dreams' belongs on 'Trash', as it's utter garbage.)
4. Alice reclaims part of his musical soul, but will have to wait until 'TLT' before cashing in his Faustian pact altogether.
5. I'd give the original 6/10, but with the addition of 'It Rained ...' on the remastered version, I'd increase that to 7/10.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Tue May 27, 2014 9:52 pm

It's a great album, extremely under rated.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:36 pm

Not quite as crap as Constrictor or RYFAY.

boy/man
Trash
Trash

Post by boy/man » Wed May 28, 2014 1:34 am

Hey Stoopid? Alice mostly redeems himself from the abysmal Trash album. Couple of real stand out tracks Wind Up Toy, Snakebite.. Hell, even Desmond Child made decent contribution in Dangerous Tonight. :bam:
Not quite on par with RYFAY or TLT, but an album well wort owning :8):

Crazy Little Child
Killer
Killer

Post by Crazy Little Child » Wed May 28, 2014 2:01 am

concolz wrote:1. It's more of a transition album than a 'proper' hair metal record.
2. It's better than the preceding trio combined.
3. All but one of the songs are at least pretty good, with some, like 'MAWBOM', 'HS' and WUT' being excellent. ('Dirty Dreams' belongs on 'Trash', as it's utter garbage.)
4. Alice reclaims part of his musical soul, but will have to wait until 'TLT' before cashing in his Faustian pact altogether.
5. I'd give the original 6/10, but with the addition of 'It Rained ...' on the remastered version, I'd increase that to 7/10.
I would agree with all these comments (except i've not heard "It Rained..." yet, i'll have to get on that). MAWBOM probably his best song of the 1990s. Wind Up Toy maybe not the best, but good and definitely the "most Alice-y" Alice song in a while. The title song had a terrible lo-fi video.

Catching the last of the hair-metal days, there is lots of great lead guitar on this as well, for those that like that sort of thing. Vivian Campbell played on the leg of the tour that hit Toronto, which was exciting (although i was rather fond of the Al Pitrelli / Pete Friesen combo).

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed May 28, 2014 2:02 am

The title of this album was in my opinion a bad choice. I always thought it should have been titled "Wind Up Toy" with artwork to match----it could have been an incredible image (use your imagination). Alice was again playing it safe--and mainstream--yet stretching back a bit to regain the classic Alice image--especially ending the album with "Wind Up Toy". I agree with concolz that this was a "transition" album. The best track is Dick Wagner's "Might As Well Be On Mars" and it's one of the best songs Alice ever recorded. Dick Wagner can fart and it would be a great song! The man is a genius songwriter. "Feed My Frankenstein" is also a great track. The rest however is typical hair metal fare. Again-everyone has to remember that these albums were recorded with the sole purpose of getting Alice back to the top by riding the wave of the most popular rock genre at that time. Anything else would not have worked. It was the era of Bon Jovi and all of the older artists/bands of the time also resurrected--or held on to their careers by jumping on the bandwagon. Kiss, Aerosmith, Heart, Ted Nugent, etc. all did it and had great success. I'm not saying I like it as I loathe hair metal as it's all pure crap---but I understand why it was done. It was do it or die. In Alice's case--it took him back to the top--and pretty quick. Trash is the only Alice album that I truly hate--it's that bad. But again--I understand and respect why it was made. "Hey Stoopid" was a bit better and has also aged much better than Trash.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed May 28, 2014 7:28 am

I loved trash when it came out. At that point I had been an Alice fan for seventeen years and had watched him slide into virtual obscurity, so all the hype, seeing poison race up the charts etc was unbelievable. I loved poison , house of fire, bed of nails etc. I remember when HS came out I was a bit disappointed as I felt that it was more uneven than trash, I didn't like snakebite or dangerous tonight or hurricane years or at least found them formulaic but over the years my opinion has changed. I don't play trash as much but put HS fairly regularly. There is still a few songs I tend to skip but iti definitely contains some of Alice's best work, loves a loaded gun burning our bed and MAWBOM.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed May 28, 2014 8:29 am

Agree with Dadascot : Trash brought Alice back in the charts which was unexpected at the time and Hey Stoopid did not fulfill entirely the expectations, but, imo, it has indeed a couple of very strongs songs and ,again imo, there are no really weak songs (type ubangi stomp or no more love etc.. ) .
It rained all night should have been on it, and not somewhere hidden on a compilation cd (Freedom for Frankenstein).
you really wouldn't understand..

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed May 28, 2014 8:43 am

I feel the same about W2MN if under the bed had been in instead of ghouls gone wild it would have made a big difference for me.

E_maniac
Trash
Trash

Post by E_maniac » Wed May 28, 2014 10:25 pm

A fantastic album with only hey stoopid not really lighting my fire on this album.Just full to bursting with stand out tracks.
Loves a loaded gun
Snakebite,
Dangerous tonight
Might as well be on mars
Feed my frankenstein
Little by little
Wind up toy

its easily one of his best albums. Not as good as raise your fist and yell or last temptation but very close. Definately in my alice top 10 albums.
I know allot of people are down on trash but i like that album, one of the best hair metal albums out there! maybe not a great "alice" album, but great for what it is.
Hey stoopid just builds on everything and delivers a truly great alice cooper record.
Plus all the players on this album tear it up big style. great musicians on this album and alice is iin fine voice. What more could you ask for?

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Thu May 29, 2014 11:06 am

I love this album,even the ballad! lol. played it a ton back in the early '90's.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri May 30, 2014 3:21 am

It has some good material on it but is one of those albums that would benefit by dropping some tracks. Ditch Little By Little, Hurricane Years, Die for You and Dirty Dreams, add It Rain All Night and you have a better album.

Since I'm an old timer I still think of albums with "sides" and think the whole album idea suffered as a result of the increased capacity of a cd. All those classic albums ran between 35-45 minutes. With the advent of the cd, new releases regularly ran between 50-80 minutes. This allowed a bunch 2nd/3rd tier quality tunes to be included on a record. Chop HS down to 40 minutes - you have a pretty good record - oh and change the artwork too.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri May 30, 2014 9:00 am

Not crazy about HS, but find a big improvement over TRASH (despite the importance of it) with some really good songs, although I gotta agree with Toronto Bob that it could use a little editing.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri May 30, 2014 11:59 am

I think HS is excellent... a stronger album on the whole than TRASH. Yet I can't disagree with the suggestion that there might be a few too many songs on it and some might have been better served as B-sides instead of being on the album itself.

As far as TRASH, I think it is half brilliant but then the quality dips quite a bit on the remaining material.

Still, I lived through that era of Alice so it has a special place in my heart even though I missed the Operation Rock and Roll Tour ::((:
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Crazy Little Child
Killer
Killer

Post by Crazy Little Child » Fri May 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:It has some good material on it but is one of those albums that would benefit by dropping some tracks. Ditch Little By Little, Hurricane Years, Die for You and Dirty Dreams, add It Rain All Night and you have a better album.

Since I'm an old timer I still think of albums with "sides" and think the whole album idea suffered as a result of the increased capacity of a cd. All those classic albums ran between 35-45 minutes. With the advent of the cd, new releases regularly ran between 50-80 minutes. This allowed a bunch 2nd/3rd tier quality tunes to be included on a record. Chop HS down to 40 minutes - you have a pretty good record - oh and change the artwork too.

Yeah, i actually remember having *exactly* this conversation at the time with a couple of friends, actually.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri May 30, 2014 6:00 pm

I have some sympathy with TB's view re increased capacity-however at least CD quality allows one to program the tracks you want to hear-and just thought for that reason I might even buy a CD copy of Lace and W one day as I can miss about half out (still have vinyl copy)..Hey Stoopid I think was a diverse album MAWBOM to Hurricane Years to Snakebite..some great guitar playing although not fond of Little by Little, Dirty Dreams, Die for you or Feed my F(despite guitars) but would still give it 68.8% exactly...
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

larryelbows
Trash
Trash

Post by larryelbows » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Generally agree with the opinions here. Much better than Trash, which only had one or two good songs on it.

I think the title track is pretty awful. I would have ditched it, and do...

1. Love's a Loaded Gun
2. Dangerous Tonight
3. Might As Well Be On Mars
4. Feed My Frankenstein
5. Hurricane Years
6. Die For You
7. Wind Up Toy

Snakebite, Burning Our Bed, Little By Little, and Dirty Dreams only defining feature is Alice's voice. Everything else about those songs could have been slipped into a Skid Row/Bon Jovi/Poison track list.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:22 am

stonking album, imo. load of great song son here i wish he'd do live.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:27 am

HS is a great album! It's Cooper getting back his touch after a few really commercial albums, which were to get him back on the charts. Sure thisalbum still has the element of hair metal but also ventures into other realms. My favorite track on this album is "Dangerous Tonight", his most underrated song. I think it would make a great lead off song in concert. But to get back to the subject, this album is great to play while driving. This album would of even been better with "Rained All Night". :alice:
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......