Your Favorite Alice album rankings from 2000 to Present

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Your Favorite Alice album rankings from 2000 to Present

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:27 pm

This is more of a poll I suppose but thought this might bring up some discussion on the general discussion board, so I apologize if this is misplaced. My question is taking only Alice's albums from 2000 to the present, list in order from favorite to least favorite. I am curious to see where Paranormal ranks in everyone's list. If you aren't a fan of any of the modern albums, just simply ignore this question.

1-Brutal Planet-Not only my favorite since 2000 but one of my favorite Alice albums ever.
2-Welcome 2 My Nightmare-I know I am in the minority but love this album.
3-The Eyes of Alice Cooper
4-Dragontown-love the heavier direction Alice albums but this album was 50/50 for me. Loved the first half of DT but the second half not nearly as much.
5-Dirty Diamonds
6-Paranormal-I like the new album but don't love it.
7-Along Came a Spider-the production on this album ruined it for me.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Your Favorite Alice album rankings from 2000 to Present

Post by concolz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:15 pm

1. BP Easily his best post-WB album. He's got something to say, and says it magnificently. A five star affair.
2. DT A more eclectic version of BP; some filler, but still good.
3. ACAS I like the amateurish production; mostly great stomping songs.

4. DD Some good, some meh. Title track, and Jesse Jane, are standouts.
5. Paranormal 50/50 album. Too much bombast, and slickness. Rubbish decision to make it 2 CDs.

6. W2MN Mostly good beginning, then collapses into a self-satisfied mess.
7. TEOAC Tries to be White Stripes... and fails miserably. Rotten production.
8. HVs Every scintilla of creativity is ruthlessly steamrollered out. Crap.

Live albums? Apart from Brutally Live, the rest are redundant cash-ins.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:18 pm

1/ paranormal : no real weak spots, even Holy Water has a catchy tune

2/The Eyes
3/ WTMNM2
4/ BP/
5/Dragontown
6/Dirty Diamonds
7/ACAS

actually , I would make a super record with the best songs (imo) of BP DT and DD , cause i find it difficult to chose between them . Each of them has at least one song that I don't particularly like ( eg women of mass distraction, or eat some more... )

of course , the selection could be different next week , but ACAS won't reach the top I am afraid ..
you really wouldn't understand..

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Dirty Diamonds - Probably my favourite Alice album since B$B. Brilliant from front to back.
Welcome 2 My Nightmare - Diverse with a load of great songs
The Eyes of Alice Cooper - Good, energetic rock 'n' roll with one or two weak spots.
Paranormal - Solid effort, no massive standouts but no duds either.
Dragontown - Prefer the slightly looser feel this has over BP, but this wasn't one of my favourite 'eras' of Alice.
Brutal Planet - Decent but, as above, not a sound I was big on with Alice.
Along Came a Spider - a big disappointment.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Ok here goes
1 paranormal, great rocking album, not a bad moment
2 the eyes of Alice Cooper, great garage sound, great melodies and good fun
3 W2mn some brilliant tracks, I am made of you, caffeine, when hell comes home, but two absolute stinkers and a couple of middling tunes.
4 DD again some great melodies, great rockers a couple of poorer tracks
5 HV much maligned on here but I find it great fun classic rock but the choices too obvious
6 brutal planet never liked that sound, too heavy and not enough melody with some redeeming track like pick up the bones
7 deagontown, took the worst aspects of brutal planet and pushed it even further
8 ACAS couple of decent ballads, great video and publicity but atrocious production and too much growling and not enough singing

sumorider
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by sumorider » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:41 pm

1 Dirty Diamonds-I love Rock'n'roll more than HR or HM
2 Along Came a Spider-All songs are like Killer's demo version!
3 Paranormal-Now listening
4 Dragontown-His most ambitious work since 2000
5 Welcome 2 My Nightmare- A few songs are outstanding
6 Brutal Planet-Great album,but not my favorite.
7 The Eyes of Alice Cooper-Not listened for years,no favorite song

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:02 pm

1. W2MN - The most "Alice" album in the years covered.
2. DT - Just like it. Sadly overlooked by many including Alice. Some great songs.
3. DD - Some great tracks and diverse
4. Eyes - The band get to write an album proving they can do it, easily.
5. BP - A bit of a shock at first but some great songs especially live.
6. Paranormal - Still on the fence. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing shouts "wow" to me. Will maybe need longer to "get it".
7. ACAS - Everything was great except the music on it, and even then they could have been great songs with better producers and arrangements.

3-5 could really be in any order

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:38 pm

1. Brutal planet. I was 13 years old and it was the first cd ever bought. Great songs and great memories from that time. I lovet it.

2. Paranormal. Also great memories, because I love this time, this summer and this is the soundtrack of this summer for me. Great songs and great lyrics. Maybe You and all of your friends is a little bit weaker but still not very bad.

3. Dirty Diamonds. I was 18 years old and I remember when I heard the Steal that car on a radio show. I found it a great but easy song. There are many great songs here but thy lyrics are..."she's a woman, some kind of woman, I got a woman...".

4. Dragontown. Good but not as good as Brutal Planet. 12 songs were too much. I love it but it's not an essential record like the Brutal Planet.

5. Welcome 2 my nightmare. Very overproduced, and for me it's not really Alice. His voice sounds in more songs not like Alice, and he often try to be somebody else. Beach boys song with silly lyrics, 2 Rolling Stones type of songs, Tom Waits song, disco parody, Kesha. I am made of you, When hell comes home, The Nightmare returns, and I gotta get out of here are real Alice songs and maybe Caffeine but the rest is like the Hollywood Vampires. Something good but not really Alice.

6. The eyes of Alice Cooper. A good garage rock record but not essential. The sound is terrible, and there some fillers. The lyrics are often very pointless "Bye bye baby, bye bye girl" "I stucked somewhere between high school and old school". Spirits rebellious is a classic song.

7. Along came a spider. A big disappointment. I heard the first single abd I was out of me. A classic new Alice record. Hurray. And I got the cd...goofy lirycs, terrible dry sound, average songs and plastic ballads. 3-4 good songs and a very good video clip, not more. The best song (Vengeance is mine) was horrible when he played it live. It wasn't a good concert track.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

RealEyes
Trash
Trash

Post by RealEyes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am

1. Welcome 2 My Nightmare. Musically diverse and delivered with spirit (who else would be daring enough to ape a Glitter Band sound - as on The Congregation - but Alice?). Just a lot of fun from start to finish.

2. Brutal Planet. Rarely as Alice sounded so angry as he does here. Born-again Christian Vincent Furnier has looked around the world and he doesn't like what he sees. I don't think he's used his alter ego to express his personal feelings on the issues that really bother him as effectively as he does here.

3. Along Came A Spider. A brave attempt at a concept album about a serial killer. While some of the songs suffer from sounding a bit too similar too each other, there are still enough stand-out tracks and twisted lyrics to satisfy.

4. Eyes Of Alice Cooper, Dragontown, Dirty Diamonds. These three are a tie for me because they each have one or two shining moments but, as a totality, none of them are that special.

5. Paranormal. Could've been done by anyone, really. Very disappointing.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:40 am

1. Dirty Diamonds - a real rock n' roll album with a few hints of classic Alice
2. Brutal Planet - don't dig the style, but put together and thought out better than anything he has done since Goes To Hell
3. The Eyes Of... - A few good rock songs, some alright power-pop...not very Alice
4. Dragontown - decent follow-up to Brutal Planet, but the filler is atrocious.
5. Paranormal - 6 well-written songs, 6 turds...production makes them hard to enjoy
6. Along Came A Spider - Hints of Alice genius, mired by everything else made amateur
7. Welcome 2 My Nightmare - As many embarrassing moments as good ones. Mostly just blah.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:27 am

Instead of ranking, I'll assemble a super-duper album by selecting tracks from this period (along with my ideas to improve said album).

In no particular order:

Cold Machines/Dragontown pre-chorus and chorus
Pick Up The Bones
Novocaine (with some work on the 2nd verse lyrics)
Spirits Rebellious
Sunset Babies
Saga of Jesse Jane (don't dig the cross-dressing stuff at all)
Zombie Dance (polish the lyrics)
The Sharpest Pain
I Am Made Of You
I'll Bite Your Face Off (scrap lyrics for better ones)
Fireball
Private Public Breakdown
Dynamite Road
You And All Of Your Friends

Noticeably heavy on the Paranormal tracks, most likely because it's the newest album. Nothing from ACAS, because I've only heard Vengeance and Salvation, which I didn't particularly care for. I remember when BP was released, I thought it had 7 or 8 great songs. Time changes perspective. The sounds of the bass drums on the DD album are top notch.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:10 am

1) Brutal Planet -The last real time Alice toured an album - no real weaknesses - great album

2) W2MN - Yeah I like it too , even the polarising songs on side 2 - loved the albuma nd still listen to it regularly

3) Eyes - A Good Rock albu symbolic of the times

4) Dragontown - Some great - some poor overall pretty good - Sister Sara would make any Alice compilation I put together

5) Paranormal - Im thinking when the new album novelty wears off this will slip down the list - feeling its a fairly Stock Alice record

6) Dirty Diamonds - Slightly weaker version of Eyes

7) ACAS - Great concept - but hate the handclaps - I may be one of a very small minority of fans who loves Salvation

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:16 am

sumorider wrote:1 Dirty Diamonds-I love Rock'n'roll more than HR or HM
2 Along Came a Spider-All songs are like Killer's demo version!
3 Paranormal-Now listening
4 Dragontown-His most ambitious work since 2000
5 Welcome 2 My Nightmare- A few songs are outstanding
6 Brutal Planet-Great album,but not my favorite.
7 The Eyes of Alice Cooper-Not listened for years,no favorite song
I would recommend giving eyes another good listen!

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:02 pm

1) Brutal Planet - Lyrically it's genius. So many highlights. Brutal Planet, Wicked Young Man, Blow Me A Kiss, Pick Up The Bones, Gimme, It's The Little Things, Take It Like A Woman, Cold Machines.
2) Paranormal - Still on the buzz of the new album. Difficult to place where it will be over time but I'd expect it to remain in the top half of the list for sure. I think because it isn't a concept album will help the longevity of the album.
3) Eyes of Alice Cooper - Some real raw rock n roll tracks. Most of the songs are fun to listen to. Always an album I come back to listen to quite often.
4) Along Came A Spider - Knocked for it's production but aside from that there are still some really good tracks on here. The fillers Wrapped In Silk and I'm Hungry are too tedious to listen to though.
5) Dragontown - Deeper is a song I can't stand but there are some very Brutal Planet-esque tracks on here which gets me listening. Sex, Death and Money, Fantasy Man and Its Much Too Late are just some of the highlights for me.
6) W2MN - I Am Made Of You, Caffeine and The Congregation are very strong tracks which are let down with the cheesy Ghouls Gone Wild and songs of that ilk.
7) Dirty Diamonds - Not a bad rock n roll album but at times I find it quite bland. Dirty Diamonds is an overplayed live track which really bugs me now. Perfect is my favourite track.

Freeze
Trash
Trash

Post by Freeze » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:15 pm

1.W2MN
2.Paranormal
3.Brutal Planet
4.Dragontown
5.The Eyes of AC
6.Dirty Diamonds
7.Along Came A Spider

Sent fra min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:55 pm

1. EOAC 85/100
2. Dirty Diamonds 80/100
3. Brutal Planet 75/100
4=Dragontown. 70/100
4= Paranormal 70/100
6. W2MN 65/100
7. ACAS. 40/100

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:27 pm

1 - Brutal Planet - A genuine classic. The only blip is the misplaced ballad but even then I don't hate it.
Best tracks - Brutal planet, Wicked young man, pick up the bones and cold machine are the top classics.

2 - Welcome 2 My nightmare - While a sequel in name only, Bob ezrin and alice really brought the thunder here. it has a cool "plot" and is wall to wall classics. A couple of minor blips (something to remember me by, bite your face off and ghouls gone wild) but nothing that offends you.
Best tracks - I am made of you, Under the bed, What baby wants, The Underture

3 - paranormal - A great return. Another bob ezrin classic. Short but sharp. Although with a 70's infused sound the album screams flush the fashion part 2 to me.Only 1 outright bad track (holy water) but it is over quick enough that it doesn't bother you too much.
Best tracks - Paranoiac Personality, Dynamite road, Rats and Dead flies

4 - Dragontown - A mixed album with a insanely strong start which falters through lack of direction (good songs that just dont fit - disgraceland, fantasy man). Although outright stinkers are rare (sister sara) the whole album just doesn't gel properly. (I have actually redone the setlist in MP3 and it works better but still not perfect.)
Best tracks - dragontown, deeper, sex death and money, triggerman

5 - The Eyes of alice cooper - Has a few gold moments but way too much rubbish. bad tunes include the WORST ballad he has ever done Be with you awhile, the Scooby doo "horror" of this house is haunted, nasal whine of Man of the year and the perennial B side the song that doesn't rhyme.
I like spirits rebellious but it should have been on dragontown (and I think was rumoured to be in the early workings...) Its solid rock and roll but nothing more.
Best tracks - Love should never feel like this, Spirits rebellious, I'm So Angry, Detroit City

6 - Along Came a Spider - Yes the production is horrible, yes it is very poorly written in places and some truly dreadful tracks (i'm hungry being the worst, but lets not forget wrapped in silk, killed by love) - but it has enough charm to keep me on board, it was a hard choice between this and diamonds but the songs I like from ALCAS I like more than diamonds -
Best Tracks - Catch me if you can, I am the spider, One that got away, vengeance is mine

7 - Dirty Diamonds - when I first got it I really hated it, now its a general distaste while I like the odd track, horribly dry production with no life at all, coupled with dire songs like Perfect, You make me wanna and Sunset babies (to name only a few) this album is best left forgotten
Best tracks - six hours, Dirty Diamonds(tho why it stays in the setlist I will never know) Zombie dance and yet another example of bonus track being better than most of the album - sharpest pain.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:45 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:Dirty Diamonds(tho why it stays in the setlist I will never know)
Though it hasn't been in the setlist for a while now, the answer to that is easy: it's a crowd-pleaser with the "diamond" necklaces he throws out. I assume it's a song Alice likes a lot, too, but it's really engages the crowd.

Hunter

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Exactly...its one of those rare songs that sounds better live than in studio and yes, I never get tired of it being done live, wish it was a constant....
SickThings wrote:
Saint&Sinner wrote:Dirty Diamonds(tho why it stays in the setlist I will never know)
Though it hasn't been in the setlist for a while now, the answer to that is easy: it's a crowd-pleaser with the "diamond" necklaces he throws out. I assume it's a song Alice likes a lot, too, but it's really engages the crowd.

Hunter
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:00 pm

1. Brutal Planet.
2. Dirty Diamonds.
3. The Eyes of Alice Cooper.
4. Welcome 2 My Nightmare.
5. Along Came A Spider.
6. Dragontown.
7. Paranormal.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.