Am I The Only One Who Liked W2MN?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Am I The Only One Who Liked W2MN?

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:23 pm

I liked it most the first time I heard it, especially for the nostalgia when the original was referenced. But other than that I hate that it wen't for more of the Weird Al type parody thing with both the lyrics and sound, especially considering how good Under My Bed was and knowing that was the original direction the album was gonna go. There are a few good songs but it could have and should have been a completely different album.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the picture on the booklet, where it looks like the WTMN cover except aged was supposed to be the cover instead of the one with the real Alice ?
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:33 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
AlongCameASpider27 wrote:I LOVE Nightmare 2...for me personally, it has his best ballad, I love Something to Remember Me By....
So you're saying that you like "Something To Remember Me By" more than "Only Women Bleed"?

:rotfl:
Whenever I hear him singing he wants to give her "something to remember me by" I can't help thinking..gonorrhoea!

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:56 pm

W2MN is a great album and I think why a lot of people give a snub is because it's compared to the first.......Don't!!!! look at it as it's own separate entity.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:47 pm

evil syd wrote:W2MN is a great album and I think why a lot of people give a snub is because it's compared to the first.......Don't!!!! look at it as it's own separate entity.
That would be easier if it weren't for all of the musical tie-ins, like I am Made of You (which is literally made of the Steven melody), Nightmare Returns, the Underture, and to some extent Under the Bed.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:50 am

W2MN really should have been called 'Love It 2 Death' or 'KiIIer'...it's just that good.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Goes to Hell 2. Which was a drop off from the first Nightmare just like W2MN.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:11 pm

patrick wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:20 pm
agree with Comus, adding that the Congregation would be better without the spoken part by Rob Zombie.

Totally. It's a really good song other than that one part.

I really don't like concept albums in general so this one kind of started behind the eight ball with me. There are some good songs here, but even some of those have flaws, imo.

What I like:

The Congregation (It's great minus Rob Zombie's spoken portion)
When Hell Comes Home
A Runaway Train
I'll Bite Your Face Off (A good song with a weak title and chorus. Much better live)
Last Man on Earth
The Underture (It's just neat. I'd like to hear some full length versions of Alice songs done in this style.)

Not sure about:

Ghouls Gone Wild. It's pure fluff, but it's catchy. I think I would have a higher opinion of it if it was on a Halloween themed EP along with songs like Keeping Halloween Alive and Nobody Likes Me instead of an album like W2MN.

What Baby Wants. I'm old and I have no clue who Keisha is, but the song is catchy and I think it works in a weird way. It would have been cool to have Devil in a Blue Dress placed on this album just prior to this song instead of on Breadcrumbs.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:48 am

I love W2MN, i don't think it is really a "welcome to my nightmare" sequel (though could have been with some tweaking and more horror) but its a great album.
Tracks i love:
I am Made of You - Epic.
Caffeine - great rocker always makes me think of nightmare on elm street
The nightmare returns - fluff but its cool
Under the bed - on my MP3 player it is listed as track 4 in the album and works great! why this was left off is anyones guess. crazy
A runaway train - (or the dunaway train as we call it) great rocker
Last man on earth - brilliant vaudville track that really expands the album (kinda like some folks)
Disco bloodbath boogie fever - brilliant funny and superb when john 5 kicks in on the final third.
When hell comes home - brilliant dark and brutal
What baby wants - great slice of macabre pop rock
Underture - brilliant.

average - Congregation (good solid rocker), I gotta get outta here (good track that is an underwhelming last track)

Poor -
Ghouls gone wild - decent track but not for this album. its a B side plain and simple
I'll bite your face off - just run of the mill , a bit dull and not good enough for the album
Something to remember me by - dull as dishwater. I dont know when alice forgot how to write ballads but boy is it evident on this song! (actually i do, Brutal Planet)

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:50 am

Also, am I the only one who thinks the picture on the booklet, where it looks like the WTMN cover except aged was supposed to be the cover instead of the one with the real Alice
100% i have no idea why they went full camp instead. a bizzare choice indeed. i remember getting it and before id opened it i told my mate how disappointed i was with the cover and what i would do with it.....then i open it and boom there it is! exactly what i would have done to it!

Vlad the Impala
Killer
Killer

Post by Vlad the Impala » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:11 am

I love it.
His best since 'Dragontown'.
School's out FOREVER!!"
Speaking as an ex-teacher, I can confirm that it really is!!

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:20 pm

I don"t like it.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:51 pm

Wanted to like it but the vast majority of it was silly fluff. My rocker friends thought it was horribly lame. I couldn’t argue the point.

MonsterDog
Dada God
Dada God

Post by MonsterDog » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:16 pm

I really like a lot of it. Obviously, it's not my absolute favorite, that would be a very strong statement to make. But I think it's quite good.
I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not!

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:57 pm

revinkevin wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:18 pm
Goes to Hell 2. Which was a drop off from the first Nightmare just like W2MN.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:38 am

evil syd wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:56 pm
W2MN is a great album and I think why a lot of people give a snub is because it's compared to the first.......Don't!!!! look at it as it's own separate entity.
I snub it because I think it's a very terrible album. It's fine that you like it, it's all just personal taste - no right or wrong. What is wrong is stating it is its' own separate entity. If Alice wanted everyone to think of it that way, it would have a different title, artwork and none of the musical tie-ins. No Alice very much wanted the fans to think of WTMN when buying and listening to this album.

IMO, it's among his worst records, maybe only the dreadful Along Came a Spider is beneath this.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:03 am

W2MN is one of Alice's best post 70s albums and it, and the return of Ezrin, promised so much for the future. No, it isn't perfect, but as a whole it's probably his best since at least 'The Last Temptation'.
Unfortunately everything that was great about W2MN was abandoned for 'Paranormal' and 'Detroit Stories'. Such a disappointment.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:07 am

I think it has about 5 really decent songs on it. The rest is pretty much filler. The makings of a great record. I also thought the bonus track 'Under The Bed' should have been on the actual album. Great Desmond Child era sounding tune.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:32 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:07 am
I think it has about 5 really decent songs on it. The rest is pretty much filler. The makings of a great record. I also thought the bonus track 'Under The Bed' should have been on the actual album. Great Desmond Child era sounding tune.
Couldn’t agree more with all that

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:04 pm

I prefer it to the original although I’d agree that the cover is rubbish

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:14 pm

Anybody else prefer Neil Smith's "Evil Voodoo Moon" to "I'll Bite Your Face Off"? It would have been interesting to have had a cover closer to the original, but with better production values.