New album sales

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: New album sales

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:29 pm

del wrote:Delighted with the chart positions so far. To me the charts will always have importance. They spur on the promotional activity and give some profile where it wasn't there before.

The big question for me now is, if enough copies are sold will this force a couple more tracks into the set list for the tour? Hope so because at this rate a reasonable % of the crowd might actually know the album pretty well.

i think you might be overestimating the sales for this to make any difference in the live set.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Hits Daily Double is showing a #7 debut in the US with 11,000 in sales (which is kinda pathetic.)

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:35 pm

Devon wrote:Hits Daily Double is showing a #7 debut in the US with 11,000 in sales (which is kinda pathetic.)
What chart? Is it the rock chart? That will most likely not be the Billboard 200, because I'm going to guess there a many more albums that have sold between the Arcade Fire's 95,000 unit debut and Alice Cooper's 11,000 or 12,000 (if this is correct. I saw 12,005).

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:29 am

Devon wrote:Hits Daily Double is showing a #7 debut in the US with 11,000 in sales (which is kinda pathetic.)
Why are you worried about or complaining about record sales being low? Didn't you know that it wasn't going to sell much anyways. Alice sure isn't worried about how much the album sells he says those days of selling albums in big numbers are over,and I make albums for my fans now,the many millions of Alice Cooper fans around the world.

Said by him in a recent interview. Just enjoy the album and be glad he's still giving us fans new music, I don't care about new album sales, why should anyone else. Just my opinion, though.
Last edited by AliceFan on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:45 am

AliceFan wrote:
Why are you worried about or complaining about record sales being low? Didn't you know that it wasn't going to sell much anyways. Alice sure isn't worried about how much the album sells he says those days of selling albums in big numbers are over,and I make albums for my fans now,the many millions of Alice Cooper fans around the world.

Said by him in a recent interview. Just enjoy the album and be glad he's still giving us fans new music, I don't care about new album sales, why should anyone else.
I will be the bastard as I just can't resist. Pitkin will be mad that I beat him to it :)

If Alice was making albums for "the many million Alice Cooper fans across the world" should that not translate to selling millions of albums?

If each one of his fans bought the album it would make sense. If he has "millions" of fans and only a portion of them bought the album it should still add up to at least a million in sales.

If 11,000 in sales gets you a #7 in the USA, I think I may put the band back together and give it another shot!

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:51 am

mr.barlow wrote:
AliceFan wrote:

Said by him in a recent interview. Just enjoy the album and be glad he's still giving us fans new music, I don't care about new album sales, why should anyone else.
I will be the bastard as I just can't resist. Pitkin will be mad that I beat him to it :)

If Alice was making albums for "the many million Alice Cooper fans across the world" should that not translate to selling millions of albums?

If each one of his fans bought the album it would make sense. If he has "millions" of fans and only a portion of them bought the album it should still add up to at least a million in sales.

If 11,000 in sales gets you a #7 in the USA, I think I may put the band back together and give it another shot!
Mr Barlow, Those were again Alice Cooper's words about making albums for the millions of AC fans around the world, I swear it's from a interview. Does make sense what you said though about selling a million copies.
Last edited by AliceFan on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:51 am

Despite what Alice may say only getting a 1st week sale projection of 11-12,000 in a country the size of America is pretty pathetic and further sums up his dying fan base there.

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:58 am

Somwhere In Auckland wrote:Despite what Alice may say only getting a 1st week sale projection of 11-12,000 in a country the size of America is pretty pathetic and further sums up his dying fan base there.
Alice doesn't have a dying fan base in America, he tours here every single year ,at least three times a year, if that's a dying fan base to you, then you don't know what you're talking about at all. I'll tell you a band who's fan base is definitely dead here w.a.s.p. hasn't tour the USA in over ten years and release their albums on only European record labels and only tour everywhere except the USA.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:08 am

Somwhere In Auckland wrote:Despite what Alice may say only getting a 1st week sale projection of 11-12,000 in a country the size of America is pretty pathetic and further sums up his dying fan base there.
While the fanbase may or may not be smaller then 10/20/30 years ago (or whatever) those sales numbers say more about the number of albums sold in general then anything else. Very few artists of any kind sell in the millions any more. While that isn`t a huge number you have to look at it in context. Probably 10x that downloaded it for free and/or just listen on streaming platforms now. It's a very different time and you simply can`t compare the numbers in isolation.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:21 am

AliceFan wrote:

Said by him in a recent interview. Just enjoy the album and be glad he's still giving us fans new music, I don't care about new album sales, why should anyone else. Just my opinion, though.

Post edited. Bugger I should have read Barlows post.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:21 am

Si wrote:While the fanbase may or may not be smaller then 10/20/30 years ago (or whatever) those sales numbers say more about the number of albums sold in general then anything else. Very few artists of any kind sell in the millions any more. While that isn`t a huge number you have to look at it in context. Probably 10x that downloaded it for free and/or just listen on streaming platforms now. It's a very different time and you simply can`t compare the numbers in isolation.
This.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:51 am

Alice Cooper is in the top ten for the first time since 1994's The Last Temptation, as Paranormal (Ear Music) arrives at No. 6.

Billboard
http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... bums-chart

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:43 am

Si wrote:
While the fanbase may or may not be smaller then 10/20/30 years ago (or whatever) those sales numbers say more about the number of albums sold in general then anything else. Very few artists of any kind sell in the millions any more. While that isn`t a huge number you have to look at it in context. Probably 10x that downloaded it for free and/or just listen on streaming platforms now. It's a very different time and you simply can`t compare the numbers in isolation.
Exactly. I haven't purchased it. I no longer have a cd player in my car and it was a free download for prime members through Amazon Music. No brainer right there. Plus I don't have to switch discs to listen to the two ACG songs. I do miss not being able to look at the booklet though so I may pick it up eventually. Not in any hurry. It does make me wonder how things like this are counted because I'm sure Alice doesn't just give it to Amazon for members out of the goodness of his heart.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:08 am

Feezle-Nuts wrote:
Si wrote:
Exactly. I haven't purchased it. I no longer have a cd player in my car and it was a free download for prime members through Amazon Music. No brainer right there. Plus I don't have to switch discs to listen to the two ACG songs. I do miss not being able to look at the booklet though so I may pick it up eventually. Not in any hurry. It does make me wonder how things like this are counted because I'm sure Alice doesn't just give it to Amazon for members out of the goodness of his heart.
Interesting point. As I asked earlier, although your download was free does that exclude it from the figures? After all it is Amazons choice to give it away!

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 am

Just to muddy the waters a little: The Official UK Charts have a physical chart as well and Alice is number 3!

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/ph ... ums-chart/

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:28 am

I DEEPLY apologize. I was on my cell phone looking at HitsDailyDouble's "Building Album Charts."

The full chart is here (physical + streaming) and it's projected to come in at #44

http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:40 am

From dadacot:
"It does make me wonder how things like this are counted because I'm sure Alice doesn't just give it to Amazon for members out of the goodness of his heart."

This has been discussed before but for most artists, sales are no longer as important as they were and why streaming figures for individual tracks are what now really matter.

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:52 am

First week sales for "Brutal Planet" through "Dirty Diamonds" were half that for the first week. This is actually his second highest charting album in 20 years in the U.S.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Just for clarity, what number is the album at in the US and what is the definitive source?
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:59 pm

These days if you sell 10,000 or more units in a week, your album is doing really well.