Can alice still shock?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Can alice still shock?

Post by Keith1980 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:11 am

I think his biggest shock hasnt happend yet. The ultimate SHOCK. And fits in so well with para normal. A tour dedicated to this album and tracks he hasnt played. And the GREATEST shock of all?? NO THEATRICS. Just a good soild concert.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Can alice still shock?

Post by padre_sliprat » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:27 am

Keith1980 wrote:I think his biggest shock hasnt happend yet. The ultimate SHOCK. And fits in so well with para normal. A tour dedicated to this album and tracks he hasnt played. And the GREATEST shock of all?? NO THEATRICS. Just a good soild concert.
2003's Bare Bones Tour was basically no theatrics, although he still relied on hand props.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:06 pm

First and foremost, I love Alice's music but the Bare Bones tour was my least favorite tour he ever did. I expect theatrics at an Alice show. I would, however, love for Alice to do a tour where he plays many more rare tunes.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:00 pm

cooperrocks wrote:First and foremost, I love Alice's music but the Bare Bones tour was my least favorite tour he ever did. I expect theatrics at an Alice show. I would, however, love for Alice to do a tour where he plays many more rare tunes.
Are you saying this would be " the " shock?

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:50 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:
Keith1980 wrote:I think his biggest shock hasnt happend yet. The ultimate SHOCK. And fits in so well with para normal. A tour dedicated to this album and tracks he hasnt played. And the GREATEST shock of all?? NO THEATRICS. Just a good soild concert.
2003's Bare Bones Tour was basically no theatrics, although he still relied on hand props.
Also the Flush the Fashion Tour, although there is no video of it.
To forgive is divine, but vengeance is mine

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:08 pm

Spot and Jerome wrote:
padre_sliprat wrote:
Also the Flush the Fashion Tour, although there is no video of it.
I would settle for them leaving the modern lighting at home. Par cans fit the creepiness of a Coop show much better. But - that's not gonna happen.

PFOLGORE
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by PFOLGORE » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:42 am

Nowadays, it's hard to shock. the local barista with the enlonged ear lobes, nose rings, neck tattoo and spiky hair makes Alice seem pretty tames

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:21 pm

No

Next question
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:47 pm

The meet and greet prices are pretty shocking.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 am

He hasn't shocked people (and I do think the term 'shock' is too strong of a descriptor), en masse, since the early 70's. They were a creative rock band, more than anything else. The black and white Love It To Death footage looks dangerous and unsettling, but after that, the show was pure Hollywood. I don't believe he would disagree, and again, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Look at the Billion Dollar Babies tour - it's a direct takeoff on the Golddiggers of 1933, stage set and all.

http://pre-code.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 50x488.png

And...does this 60's TV footage look familiar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8k6fVe25k

That's showbiz!

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:32 pm

No and I don't think he is looking to do that. The shock value of any band has limited staying power because most fans after a few years have a "been there, seen that" mindset when it comes to something "shocking." Even the original band had lost that factor toward the end. What many people overlook was most of Alice's music was commercial.

That doesn't mean that once a band loses that "wow" factor they can't still put out great albums and have a great fanbase (And Alice has). You have to have the songs to back it up because if all a band can do is shock audiences they aren't going to be around very long.

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:45 pm

I don't think he, or really anyone else can shock, but you never know. Alice has been saying for years that everyone is pretty jaded and already overexposed to anything remotely shocking.
However, he can offend. I have seen a few people on this board being offended by Disgraceland (which I love). And others simply by his religious or political views. Even though the latter are usually forcefully extrapolated from offhand comments.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:20 pm

No, outside of doing something really absurd what would be the point?

He would shock me if he brings the old guys back and they record a bonified great album. Yeah that would be shocking.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:No, outside of doing something really absurd what would be the point?

He would shock me if he brings the old guys back and they record a bonified great album. Yeah that would be shocking.

I think we are closer to that than we have ever been.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:40 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:No, outside of doing something really absurd what would be the point?

We are, but I think the important words there were "bonafide great album". That will be the hardest part. Is it even possible for them to do that? Anything they would do will be compared to the original albums, and so far, with all respect, nothing they have done together has come close to that. Personally I think what a lot of people crave just simply isn`t possible anymore, but I would be ecstatic if it happened!!

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:51 pm

Si wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:

We are, but I think the important words there were "bonafide great album". That will be the hardest part. Is it even possible for them to do that? Anything they would do will be compared to the original albums, and so far, with all respect, nothing they have done together has come close to that. Personally I think what a lot of people crave just simply isn`t possible anymore, but I would be ecstatic if it happened!!
Break out the Ouija Board, channel Glen & ask him to contribute! :rock: Now, that would be Shocking!!!
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:54 am

I think it would be great if he let his hair go to it's natural gray and give the character the look of a very demented old tranny. A geriatric version of the Special Forces character.

Maybe bring back the red cod piece worn over a black leather adult diaper. That would shock a few!

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:14 am

mr.barlow wrote:I think it would be great if he let his hair go to it's natural gray and give the character the look of a very demented old tranny. A geriatric version of the Special Forces character.

Maybe bring back the red cod piece worn over a black leather adult diaper. That would shock a few!
He's been white-headed since he was at least 38, when he began coloring his hair with henna. I thought it would be a great piece of theater if he cut it, let it go natural - kind of an Einstein look. Then get a chamber orchestra to perform the whole of Dada behind him.

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:09 am

Nope. Cooper is like an established restaurant in a good location. People know what to expect when they go there, and he delivers. But Shocking? Hell no.

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:38 am

Alice becomes more and more of just being a character with age.
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......