Happy paranormal day!!!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Re: Happy paranormal day!!!

Post by Devon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:29 am

Just a side note, Paranormal is currently the #3 album on Amazon US. Not that I'm saying this would translate to anything on Billboard but it's just nice to see something like that for Alice.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:35 am

pitkin88 wrote:
padre_sliprat wrote:
homerx wrote:For those interested Pro Studio Masters offers a 88.2 kHz / 24-bit version of the Album.
http://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/14375
Sounds really good.
I was hoping it was going to lift some mud but to be honest I'm not sure I can hear too much difference from the MP3's I have.
I wonder if these tracks are mastered to the same levels as the CD or if they'll have the full dynamic range.

Not sure if any of you listen to vinyl, but on W2MN there is a noticeable difference in dynamic range between the CD and record. The CD is mastered to the max level. It stretches Alice's vocals and makes them sound thin and heavily distorted, particularly during loud moments. His voice sounds much more natural on the vinyl. Yesterday I played a side-by-side of the Spotify MP3 with a 24-bit vinyl rip of I Am Made of You for one of my coworkers and about a minute or two into the song, the difference in dynamic range was clear to him. And this was from the speaker of my iPhone. What Baby Wants is another good example. Always found Alice's voice painfully strained on that song but it sounds right on the record.

So... As someone who only bought he vinyl, I would consider buying these if they aren't mastered loud like the CD.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:46 am

Si wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote: Crack the vinyl open :)
I have no intention of doing that.
Also a warning to those unsealing their CD box sets (presumably almost everyone haha) - there is a one sheet track list glued to the back of the box that, unless you remove it and put it inside, will get destroyed when you store it or move it around. Couldn`t they have just printed it on the bottom of the box?!? Damn cheapskates.

Oh, and they only dispatched them late last night according to email I got yesterday. I really can`t complain this time.
Last time I ordered the HV direct from the record company and that took over a month to arrive!
From what I understand, it's generally black vinyl unless stated otherwise. Both variants are allegedly limited to 2,000 copies though.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 am

Has anyone looked at the wave files for the 88.2 kHz / 24-bit version to see if it's brickwalled like the CD?
Not going to spend more money on these until I know if it's actually worth it.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:51 am

padre_sliprat wrote:One could easily sample a 44.1/24 source onto an 88.2/24 system and it'd be like drinking the same brand of water from a different glass - there'd be no real difference at all.
Exactly. But it *could* be a different/better master. That's what I want to know.
If it's just the CD then it's a waste of money as yes, it'll be exactly the same.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:53 am

Si wrote:
padre_sliprat wrote:One could easily sample a 44.1/24 source onto an 88.2/24 system and it'd be like drinking the same brand of water from a different glass - there'd be no real difference at all.
Exactly. But it *could* be a different/better master. That's what I want to know.
If it's just the CD then it's a waste of money as yes, it'll be exactly the same.
Yes.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:57 am

Si wrote:
I just did a quick comparison of Genuine American Girl in Audacity.

http://imgur.com/a/8XRct

The ProStudioMasters (top) does sound a tad cleaner to me than Spotify (bottom) from doing a side-by-side listen and seems to have a tiny bit more dynamic range. Spotify seems to have a slightly softer volume. Note: I'm only recording the sample from the website, so this is not a perfect test.

It'll be interesting to see how the vinyl stacks up. I'll report back.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:44 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
Si wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote: Crack the vinyl open :)
I have no intention of doing that.
Also a warning to those unsealing their CD box sets (presumably almost everyone haha) - there is a one sheet track list glued to the back of the box that, unless you remove it and put it inside, will get destroyed when you store it or move it around. Couldn`t they have just printed it on the bottom of the box?!? Damn cheapskates.

Oh, and they only dispatched them late last night according to email I got yesterday. I really can`t complain this time.
Last time I ordered the HV direct from the record company and that took over a month to arrive!
From what I understand, it's generally black vinyl unless stated otherwise. Both variants are allegedly limited to 2,000 copies though.
Si, just checked and the red version has a sticker stating '2LP Coloured 180g' on it. The black one states '2 LP | 180g'.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:37 pm

My understanding is anything sold directly from Amazon is reported and would count in terms of a Billboard ranking.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:01 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
Si, just checked and the red version has a sticker stating '2LP Coloured 180g' on it. The black one states '2 LP | 180g'.
Lovely. Thank you.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:03 pm

TeresofBlood wrote:
Si wrote:
I just did a quick comparison of Genuine American Girl in Audacity.

http://imgur.com/a/8XRct

The ProStudioMasters (top) does sound a tad cleaner to me than Spotify (bottom) from doing a side-by-side listen and seems to have a tiny bit more dynamic range. Spotify seems to have a slightly softer volume. Note: I'm only recording the sample from the website, so this is not a perfect test.
No, not perfect as the spotify is compressed a lot anyway so not a direct comparison. The fact it sounds so close would suggest that there isn`t anything special about the HDversion.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Si wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote: C
should have done it through..Si's :laugh: :laugh: Goes faster appearantly :alice:

waiting for my packet..probably next week or so...
you really wouldn't understand..

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:37 pm

My amazon copy still hasn't arrived grrrrr but did get the free download so at least I'm getting to hear it! Didn't fall in love with it first time the way I did with dada and last temptation but it is really growing. But I wanted to sit back with the sleeve notes and really drink it in. Incidentally HMV has the vinyl for £19.99. And incidentally again! Kerrang gave a really good 4/5 review!

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:28 pm

andyrew wrote:Anyone receive their digital download from Amazon yet? I ordered the box set from Amazon.ca and I haven't received anything yet...

i got my digital copy woohoo second listen now :D :alice: :alice: :alice: :rock: :rock: :rock: :alice: :alice: :alice: :alice:

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:31 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
Si wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote: It's pretty rubbish that they hadn't even dispatched it by the release date though as that kind of defeats the purpose of pre-ordering it.

Not to worry though, I have the standard copy to hand and aren't bothered if all the other versions take a few days to come along.
My vinyl and box set from AmazonUK had already arrived when I woke up this morning (and I got an email late last night saying MP3s were available to download). Can`t argue with that service.
Now if there was just a way to tell if it was red or black vinyl without unsealing it.
Wierd that you got it in time, good for you though.

Crack the vinyl open :)
NOT WIERD AT ALL HE HAS CONNECTIONS :nono:

J/K

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Anyone catch Alice's gibberish lyrics during the live "Billion Dollar Babies" track?

LOL
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:34 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:Anyone catch Alice's gibberish lyrics during the live "Billion Dollar Babies" track?

LOL
LOL yup i thought that wasn't his night lol

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:51 pm

A few reference to Dada in here if im not mistaken

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:56 pm

i'm on my 3rd listen LOL

im skipping the live stuff

Paranormal & The Sound of A, really stands out for me!!

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:05 pm

Yhassss delivery just arrived, but Mrs. Is sick of hearing Alice all day so I'm going to have to sneak off. T shirt looks cool.