Broadcast Collection 1971 - 1995

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Broadcast Collection 1971 - 1995

Post by Si » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:26 am

Lucius Morthem wrote:Wow Chilean bootleg?

and No, it was not transmitted by radio, only on TV.

But remastered? Damn, I'm curious, that is a great show
Not sure how you can "remaster" something that has never really been "mastered" in the first place. I would have thought it's unlikely they have got hold of the original live broadcast tapes (would be great if they did), so all they could have done is tweak either the old silver CD bootleg, an old VHS tape transfer, or a Youtube vid!

On the other hand if I remember it did sound pretty good to start with, so it's a bonus to have it included.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:10 am

Well I checked out the track list for this set and yeah - waste of money for those who have these shows. Roostertail show omit ROTS, El Paso show includes the ACS tracks, the Wendler show doesn't include Lace and Whisky or It's Hot Tonight, and the San Diego show doesn't include either Dead Babies or BODF.

The inclusion of these rarer tracks would have made the set worthwhile. Now it would take a considerable sound upgrade on the 1971 show to make this set even remotely worthwhile.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:53 am

Toronto Bob wrote:Well I checked out the track list for this set and yeah - waste of money for those who have these shows. Roostertail show omit ROTS, El Paso show includes the ACS tracks, the Wendler show doesn't include Lace and Whisky or It's Hot Tonight, and the San Diego show doesn't include either Dead Babies or BODF.

The inclusion of these rarer tracks would have made the set worthwhile. Now it would take a considerable sound upgrade on the 1971 show to make this set even remotely worthwhile.

Agreed. For a newbie it looks a great deal though.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Yeah, for anyone who doesn't have the shows already or need hard copies, for sure it's one stop shopping for most of the radio broadcasts.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:33 am

Si wrote:
Lucius Morthem wrote:Wow Chilean bootleg?

and No, it was not transmitted by radio, only on TV.

But remastered? Damn, I'm curious, that is a great show
Not sure how you can "remaster" something that has never really been "mastered" in the first place. I would have thought it's unlikely they have got hold of the original live broadcast tapes (would be great if they did), so all they could have done is tweak either the old silver CD bootleg, an old VHS tape transfer, or a Youtube vid!

On the other hand if I remember it did sound pretty good to start with, so it's a bonus to have it included.
Oxford English Dictionary
Remaster (v,n) magic word that sells stuff even if you've already bought it before

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:41 pm

re-mastering these shows is nonsensical. The only thing that would be worthwhile is original, best sounding sources being used.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:08 am

Someone already got their set.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:29 am

mestreech wrote:Someone already got their set.

Let us know how it is when you get the chance to listen.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:08 am

pitkin88 wrote:
mestreech wrote:Someone already got their set.

Let us know how it is when you get the chance to listen.
No no. I still don´t have my set. It was a question.

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:57 pm

How is it possable that radio recorded the madhouse rock tour and no good recording of all straped up exsists?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:25 am

Keith1980 wrote:How is it possable that radio recorded the madhouse rock tour and no good recording of all straped up exsists?
Because 'All Strapped Up' was never aired, and the original tapes are likely long gone, so all that exists is copies of the aired material.

It's the same with the 'Strange Case of AC' film. I believe it was decided the 'All Strapped Up' section didn't work on video, so it was cut, and the footage lost.

There is an old TV news report that features footage of the track, but the quality it circulates in is very poor. It's conceivable the original footage exists in the TV station vaults, but to my knowledge no one has ever gotten access to it if it does.

If I recall Brian Nelson wanted to include the track on the 'Life And crimes' box set but there just wasn't a releasable version available.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:06 am

i have gone for a pre order. I don't own any of the material (I am not so bothered by the bootleg/radio circuit) but the 1995 show is of interest as is the 87 one.

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Si wrote:
Keith1980 wrote:How is it possable that radio recorded the madhouse rock tour and no good recording of all straped up exsists?
Because 'All Strapped Up' was never aired, and the original tapes are likely long gone, so all that exists is copies of the aired material.

It's the same with the 'Strange Case of AC' film. I believe it was decided the 'All Strapped Up' section didn't work on video, so it was cut, and the footage lost.

There is an old TV news report that features footage of the track, but the quality it circulates in is very poor. It's conceivable the original footage exists in the TV station vaults, but to my knowledge no one has ever gotten access to it if it does.

If I recall Brian Nelson wanted to include the track on the 'Life And crimes' box set but there just wasn't a releasable version available.
So radio recorded it but since it wasnt used it was left out of the broadcast and we are basicly screwed lol.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:43 pm

All strapped up wasn't the only non-album track they played when I saw the Madhouse Rock Tour. WTMN was NOT played in Indianapolis, but there was a straight ahead rock song which was maybe under 3 minutes with no theatrics. The show lasted 70 minutes.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:29 am

0o now I'm curious. What is that rocksong?

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:29 am

mestreech wrote:0o now I'm curious. What is that rocksong?
I have no idea, as I've mentioned it on forums for nearly a quarter century. Nobody has had a clue.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:18 pm

Just received an email saying this thing has been delayed yet again. Now November 14th...

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:42 am

Now November 22nd...

UPDATE: And now I have just got shipping confirmation... so we'll soon know what this thing is.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Well, surprise surprise this thing arrived this morning.

So here's what you get:

The discs come in a decent clam box with the details and track listings on the back in tiny print. Inside each disc has it's own card sleeve with photos that mostly match the contents of the disc (pretty sure the last one is a decade+ out).
There's also a 20 page booklet with text taken from various magazines (probably without permission) and decent photos throughout.
All in all it's pretty well done.

Now to what's actually in the box. I'll listen later and update this.

Disc 1: Rooster Tail, Detroit aka Paracidal Slumbers
Caught In A Dream / I'm Eighteen / Is It My Body / Sun Arise / Second Coming / Ballad Of Dwight Fry / Black Juju
This has been around forever of course and according to the track listing omits 'Return of the Spiders' and the studio 'Nobody Likes Me'.

Disc 2: LA Forum 1975
WTMN / NMMNG / B$B / 18 / Some Folks / Ethyl / OWB / Devil's Food / Black Widow / Steven / Nightmare Reprise / Escape / SO / DoY
Again, been around forever and has been released more recently unofficially.

Disc 3: Saginaw 1978
UMW / B$B / 18 / Body / Devil's Food / Black Widow / You And Me / OWB / Unfinished Sweet / Escape / ILTD / GTH / I Never Cry / School's Out
Possibly the most bootlegged show ever. Still not the complete show.

Disc 4: San Diego '79
Intro / FTI / Nurse Rozetta / The Quiet Room / I Never Cry / Devils Food>WTMN / B$B / OWB / NMMNG / 18 / Wish I were Born In Beverly Hills / It's Hot Tonight>Go To Hell / Wish You Were here Medley / How You Gonna See Me Now / SO
This looks like it's pulled straight from the Strange Case film, with
the same tracks missing.

Disc 5: El Paso 1980 part 1
DJ Intro / Instrumental / Grim Facts / Go To Hell / Guilty / Interview / You And Me / Pain / Talk Talk / I Never Cry / Interview / 18 / Gutter Cats / Clones / Nuclear Infected

Disc 6: El Paso 1980 part 2
Interview / B$B>I love The Dead / OWB / Interview / UMW / Instrumental / Dance Yourself To Death / Road Rats / Sick Things / Is It My Body / Interview / Devil's Food / Black Widow / Elected / SO
Looks like they have included the 'Alice Cooper Show' tracks in this which they surely don`t have the rights to.

Disc 7: Cincinatti Gardens 1987
Intro / Welcome To My Nightmare / B$B / NMMNG / Be My Lover / 18 / The World Needs Guts / Give It Up / Ethyl / OWB / Go To Hell / Ballad Of Dwight Fry / Elected / UMW / Sick Things / I Love The Dead / SO
Some of this has been released officially before.

Disc 8: Santiago 1995
Intro / UMW / Hey Stoopid / 18 / NMMNG / Desperado / B$B / It's Me / Lost In America / Cleansed By Fire / Go To Hell>Devils Food>Steven>Black Widow / Gutter Cats / Feed My Frankenstein / OWB / Welcome To My Nightmare / Ballad Of Dwight Fry / SO / Elected
Probably the most interesting of the bunch. TV broadcast rather then radio, which they note.

So there you go. It's all stuff most of us have already and much of it has been released on solo discs in the last few years. It's unlikely they actually own the rights to any of this material and obviously it's been released without official involvement. Having said that, and before I have listened to any of it and compared it to previous versions, it's not a bad deal for £20.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:07 pm

I'd be interested to know if the Rooster Tail show is from a better source and if the 1987 Cincinnati show has a better mix with both guitarists audible