Re: More tracks to hear...

Post by Mr. Skull » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:15 am

James Bond ?

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't like 'PP', and didn't think much of the title track (snippet); too bombastic; too Dad Rock. I loved 'Genuine American Girl' - sounds like The Undertones-meets-Doo Wop.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:13 pm

Mr. Skull wrote:James Bond ?
I think its Electric Prunes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7KxShixE-A

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:02 pm

Only listened Genuine American Girl since it's not on the album proper. I liked to doowoppy sound, but I felt that the song was missing something musically. Reminded me a bit of Dirty Diamonds ala Perfect / Jesse Jane.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Must say, I like the tracks a lot so far. I liked Paranoiac Personality overall but these sound better.
I'm pleasantly surprised that the lyrics to "Genuine American Girl" doesn't seem to be that jokey or transphobic, with the only real joke being that it's a man singing them. It just seems like a simple, happy song (in a good way).
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Paranormal sounds like it could fit nicely next to "I am made of you"....and the mention of "Lace" makes me think of...."Roses...."....I love it.

I love the "Genuine American Girl"....

Can't wait.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:00 pm

I really liked "Paranormal." Genuine American Girl was a decent song, but I don't like it as much as the other two tracks I have heard.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Genuine American Girl has an undeniable groove that works well and is infectious to me even though I'm not a huge fan of the Beach Boys element. Not the kind of surf that I enjoy, but it has grown on me.

Paranormal just gets worse for me. The arrangement just feels half-baked and not completely thought out. It comes off copied and pasted to me. The guitar leads have odd effects on them that sound noticeably added and not organically recorded which makes it sound unnatural (much like the distorted guitars on Nirvana's Nevermind to me which had a ton of added compression and effects to tone down the rawness of the original mix). I am also not a fan of the effects used on the vocals especially the background vocals. It mostly sounds like a Ghost song without the meticulous execution. If it had been filled out with an approach that gave Under The Bed it's eeriness, this song would have been a winner to me. So as with my thoughts on ACAS, I like what it is shooting for, but I think it's execution detrimentally misses the mark.

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:50 pm

I prefered Paranormal as a track to Genuine American Girl, the latter being very uninspiring and dull!! As much as I like Neal Smith as a drummer,his drum work on Genuine American Girl is nothing to write home about.
I will listen again, but I think I would rather wait for the release of the album and then listen properly!
I did like Alice's vocals on both tracks!!!

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:39 am

GailsFriend wrote:Paranormal sounds like it could fit nicely next to "I am made of you"....and the mention of "Lace" makes me think of....

Lace and Whiskey :evil:

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Si, I tried to apply Shazam on that track, never know it would recognize something.
It said .... Paranormal, Alice Cooper :alice: :alice:
(shazam is an app that "recognizes" songs)
you really wouldn't understand..

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:39 pm

I would love to hear an interview with Bob Ezrin and Guttertrash....."So, Bob, I feel your execution on this album really misses the mark as a producer and arranger..."
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:05 pm

I'd also like to ask him "why did you make such a terrible album with W2MN?" and "What was Deep Purple thinking working with you? Their two weakest sounding albums were the last two that just happened to be produced by you." I also did not say on this albuk since I have only heard two songs. I was referring to the title track. A song that fails in comparison to other bands that have written compositions like that. Even Si said the song sounds disjointed. But yea, your right, from what I have heard, I am unimpressed. Ezrin should stick to making awful albums with awful bands like 30 Seconds To Mars, because his heyday died around 1984. He should stick to working with Fefe Dobson, 30 Seconds To Mars, and the Deftones, because all of that is already awful to begin with, so he can't really make it worse.

Paul
Killer
Killer

Post by Paul » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:35 pm

I have to disagree with you about Deep Purple's last 2 albums. I love them. Their best albums in 20 years IMO. Also Infinite was their highest charting album since their 'reunion' album Perfect Strangers in 1985. Both albums have been very well received by Purple fans.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:42 pm

The ACG song is one of the catchiest songs he/they ever recorded. Much better than the plodder and the stilted one. Musically I wasn't expecting it to sound like that. Everyone sounds like they are having fun. It might have been an idea to throw some money behind it and the Billy Gibbons one and make some videos and put it out as a double A side.

I am wondering if we are going to have an obligatory ballad on the album. Let's hope not.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:55 pm

Paul wrote:I have to disagree with you about Deep Purple's last 2 albums. I love them. Their best albums in 20 years IMO. Also Infinite was their highest charting album since their 'reunion' album Perfect Strangers in 1985. Both albums have been very well received by Purple fans.
Glad you like them. Bananas was the last one I really cared for. I preferred ABandOn and Purpendicular over anything else they made since the 80s. Those two were self-produced just like all their earlier albums, and the 80s albums are fine, but they got bogged down by Blackmore taking them into the AOR territory that he had moved Rainbow towards during the period after Dio.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03 pm

pitkin88 wrote:The ACG song is one of the catchiest songs he/they ever recorded.
pre·dict·a·ble
adjective

able to be predicted.
"the market is volatile and never predictable"
synonyms: foreseeable, (only) to be expected, anticipated, foreseen, unsurprising;
informalinevitable

"Guido's reaction was predictable"

- derogatory
behaving or occurring in a way that is expected.
"the characters were very stereotyped and extremely predictable"
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:54 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:The ACG song is one of the catchiest songs he/they ever recorded.
pre·dict·a·ble
adjective

able to be predicted.
"the market is volatile and never predictable"
synonyms: foreseeable, (only) to be expected, anticipated, foreseen, unsurprising;
informalinevitable

"Guido's reaction was predictable"

- derogatory
behaving or occurring in a way that is expected.
"the characters were very stereotyped and extremely predictable"

I don't see how it is predictable musically as they have never done anything like it before. He has lyrically as I pointed out awhile back if that is what you are referring to.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:18 pm

I would consider it quite unpredictable, and it's catchiness is very infectious. I will buy that song and anything else that I may like from itunes to at least support the parts that I do like.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Pitkin, maybe what RemarkablyInsincere was meaning is that it is predictable, because Alice's best stuff has pretty much always been recorded with the ACG.