More tracks to hear...

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Re: More tracks to hear...

Post by dadascot » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:24 pm

I really like it, to me it has a full ark, great story, atmospheric.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:48 am

Paranormal is a disjointed song but interesting nonetheless. I'm not wild about the guitar solo either, seems out of place, but overall I like the musical direction. Alice is stretching himself with the two songs released so far.

PP is a better opening single than IBYFO and P is a better album opener than IAMOY. A good start.

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:40 am

darkmenace wrote:Paranormal is a disjointed song but interesting nonetheless. I'm not wild about the guitar solo either, seems out of place, but overall I like the musical direction. Alice is stretching himself with the two songs released so far.

PP is a better opening single than IBYFO and P is a better album opener than IAMOY. A good start.
Oh man, of course it's all opinion but I think "I Am Made of You" is tough to beat. While I normally would never endorse anything that uses vocoder, it really works for that song. It's an amazing piece of music. The first time I sat and listened to IAMOY, I was in the dark with zero distractions and it hit me like a ton of lead. The melancholy in that song is palpable.

I'll agree with PP being MUCH better than IBYFO.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:22 am

Model Citizen wrote:Oh man, of course it's all opinion but I think "I Am Made of You" is tough to beat. While I normally would never endorse anything that uses vocoder, it really works for that song.
I think "I Am Made Of You" was a bad choice as an album opener. It would have better served the album if it was a shorter transitional piece and about 2 minutes shorter as it's far too long.

And the autotune effect was interesting around 1998, not so much in 2011.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:56 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Model Citizen wrote:Oh man, of course it's all opinion but I think "I Am Made of You" is tough to beat. While I normally would never endorse anything that uses vocoder, it really works for that song.
I think "I Am Made Of You" was a bad choice as an album opener. It would have better served the album if it was a shorter transitional piece and about 2 minutes shorter as it's far too long.

And the autotune effect was interesting around 1998, not so much in 2011.
I couldn't disagree more! It's a brilliant opener, one of the best guitar solos. It is one of Alice's most heartfelt songs, probably since 'pass the gun around' it sets the album up with a moving classic. My thoughts are it should have been followed with under the bed and then caffeine. Drop the scooby doo sounding 'ghouls gone wild'. And as said earlier, the effect that the auto tune is used for works really well.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:36 pm

dadascot wrote: My thoughts are it should have been followed with under the bed and then caffeine. Drop the scooby doo sounding 'ghouls gone wild'. And as said earlier, the effect that the auto tune is used for works really well.
"Under The Bed" should definitely have been on the proper album. And I've always said I thought "Caffeine" would have been a much better lead off single.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:12 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
dadascot wrote: My thoughts are it should have been followed with under the bed and then caffeine. Drop the scooby doo sounding 'ghouls gone wild'. And as said earlier, the effect that the auto tune is used for works really well.
"Under The Bed" should definitely have been on the proper album. And I've always said I thought "Caffeine" would have been a much better lead off single.
Yip, love caffeine, it reminds me of the best of the early eighties stuff!

E_maniac
Trash
Trash

Post by E_maniac » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:45 am

"I Am Made Of You" was a perfect album opener and a monster track. Absolutely stunning. Desmond child, bob ezrin and alice cooper - that's a triple bill I would love to hear more from.
I think one thing we can ALL agree on is that "under the bed" should have been on the album proper (after "the nightmare returns") but we cant have it all

Comus
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Comus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:41 pm

I really like Paranormal and the more I listen the better it gets. I like the story and the different moods throughout. It's an interesting album opener but I don't see why it can't work. And on the other topic I thought IAMOY was incredible-again an interesting one to use at the beginning of an album but that worked.
Is someone calling me?
...No
I think I hear a voice
It's outside the door!!

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Today was a quiet day here... I wonder what everybody's up to. I gotta say I'm very satisfied with my day. I'd say it tops the last 5 days plus yesterday, which doesn't really count as a "day" per se.

I'm literally counting the days until my vinyl copy of the new album arrives!

JoeyBananagoose
Trash
Trash

Post by JoeyBananagoose » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:39 pm

I just had to sell my Bat Out Of Hell the musical tickets for £40 on eBay on account of not being able to travel to London due to a slight case of dying soon, but I'm using the dough for the Paranormal boxset next Friday hopefully. Alice has been part of my life since I was 5. I'm excited. Gonna actually go to HMV and pick it up all being well. I think the last one I did that on was The Last Temptation.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 am

JoeyBananagoose wrote:I just had to sell my Bat Out Of Hell the musical tickets for £40 on eBay on account of not being able to travel to London due to a slight case of dying soon, but I'm using the dough for the Paranormal boxset next Friday hopefully. Alice has been part of my life since I was 5. I'm excited. Gonna actually go to HMV and pick it up all being well. I think the last one I did that on was The Last Temptation.
Well, that's an intriguing entry. Glad to share your enthusiasm and excitement about the new record. I just listened to the title song again, and I LOVE how it's a solid studio production. That stuff doesn't happen naturally.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 am

Well, I've heard the whole damn thing. I dig it. Alice's singing is great, the musicians all turn in excellent performances and there are some small nuanced surprises here and there that raised an eyebrow a few times. Standouts for me are "Paranormal", "Dead Flies", "Paranoiac Personality", "Dynamite Road" and the fantastic "You And All Your Friends". I give the album a B+, though my opinion might change over time I suppose.

I'd love to know if anyone will catch the "Devil's Food" reference on the album. It's subtle but instantly gave me a laugh. Clever, Alice!

Edit: "The Sound of A" IS great but man, it's such a major Floyd pastiche that I have to dock it a point or two. I hear "Welcome to the Machine", "Breathe" and "Hey You" all over the song.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:36 am

I like what I've heard of 'Private Public Breakdown' and 'You And All Your Friends'.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:38 am

But "The Sound Of A" was originally demoed in '67 when Pink Floyd were still a psychedelic band far from the band they were with those songs, right?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:09 am

guttertrash wrote:But "The Sound Of A" was originally demoed in '67 when Pink Floyd were still a psychedelic band far from the band they were with those songs, right?

Yes but obviously Alice has not straight copied a song from 1967.

Paulimo
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Paulimo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:24 am

I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but the new album has been Ken Bruce's Album Of The Week on Radio 2 this week.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:10 am

Alice played 'Fallen In Love' on NWAC last night. Watch for the rest to follow over the next week or so I would guess.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Tried to listen to NWAC on Planet Rock catch up and all that was there was Snakebite! Sounded great though!

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:55 pm

Heard these three on KB show:

Fallen In Love - Meh to Bleurgh. Guitar widdles & rotten chorus.
Holy Water - Is this the joke track?
Dynamite Road - Damp squib. Think Convoy, only worse.