Finally - The Nightmare special official on dvd

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Finally - The Nightmare special official on dvd

Post by SickThings » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote: It's a Sony and not a very expensive one in the 1st place. From the beginning it had these issues. Maybe an upgrade is in order. Pretty much just stopped buying DVD's & focused on Blu-Ray - both formats hit the bargain bin eventually!
When I first started buying Blu-rays, I swore I wasn't going to replace all of my DVDs (which had replaced all of my Laserdiscs, which had replaced most of my VHS tapes). But over time, I have, and the vast majority of them were purchased for under $10, which is what made it easy to re-purchase them again. :alice:

Hunter

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:53 pm

VinceLeeRose wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:This should be worthwhile and it doesn't matter a bit if there's no blu ray version. Original tv show shot on 1975 technology video and the concert shot on 16mm film and then blown up to 35 mm. There are no quality enhancements that blu ray can bring.
I always thought Good to See You Again was shot on 16mm and blown up to 35mm. Was that the case with the Nightmare concert film as well? I saw a 35mm print of it in LA last October, and besides the color being faded, it didnt look like it was a 35mm blow up to me. The TV special was definitely shot on video.
Well I read that so many years ago (pre-internet) and just took it for fact. I always thought the picture looked a bit fuzzy too so that re-enforced the idea. That could very well be inaccurate maybe the credits would give us the answer.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:32 pm

When can we order a Region 1 USA version ?
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:33 am

Will it be available to download or stream?

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:04 pm

I've had the Nightmare TV Special on DVD for years. Of course, I made the DVD myself from the original VHS.

Always nice to get an upgrade, I do wish it were from the pristine original source though.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Glad this is coming out...got on VHS back in 1986 :bam: . remember it was kind of silly, but picture quality was top notch.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:29 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:Always nice to get an upgrade, I do wish it were from the pristine original source though.
I don't think there is a pristine original source. I'm 90% sure it was originally shot on videotape, so there's a limit to how good even the master source would look. I'll be surprised if it's noticeably better than the VHS version, but I hope it is.

Hunter

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Does anyone know if their has been any kind of "work" done to this dvd?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:23 pm

From Keith1980:
"Does anyone know if their has been any kind of "work" done to this dvd?"

I believe so but within the limitations of the copy that was used.

Suspiria
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Suspiria » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:15 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:Original tv show shot on 1975 technology video and the concert shot on 16mm film and then blown up to 35 mm. There are no quality enhancements that blu ray can bring.
That's quite inaccurate as regards to the concert show. Here's an example - Sam Raimi's Evil Dead 1 was shot on 16mm and blown up to 35mm. And it looks absolutely stunning on blu-ray and is a huge upgrade over dvd format. There are many quality enhancements that blu-ray can bring, as long as the original source is film and not video. The Good To See You Again blu-ray didn't show too much improvement over dvd as that was a lazy upscale and not a true high definition master.

btw I don't think the Welcome To My Nightmare wembley shows were actually shot in 16mm anyway. They don't look like it.
Neil Harrison.

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:12 am

I saw a 35mm screening of Welcome to my Nightmare last October in LA. The color was a little faded, but other than that it looked amazing on the big screen. A lot better than the full screen DVD.

Suspiria
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Suspiria » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:33 pm

VinceLeeRose wrote:I saw a 35mm screening of Welcome to my Nightmare last October in LA. The color was a little faded, but other than that it looked amazing on the big screen. A lot better than the full screen DVD.
Was the 35mm print in widescreen or was it also 4:3 like the dvd?
Neil Harrison.

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Suspiria wrote:
VinceLeeRose wrote:I saw a 35mm screening of Welcome to my Nightmare last October in LA. The color was a little faded, but other than that it looked amazing on the big screen. A lot better than the full screen DVD.
Widescreen

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Suspiria wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:Original tv show shot on 1975 technology video and the concert shot on 16mm film and then blown up to 35 mm. There are no quality enhancements that blu ray can bring.
That's quite inaccurate as regards to the concert show. Here's an example - Sam Raimi's Evil Dead 1 was shot on 16mm and blown up to 35mm. And it looks absolutely stunning on blu-ray and is a huge upgrade over dvd format. There are many quality enhancements that blu-ray can bring, as long as the original source is film and not video. The Good To See You Again blu-ray didn't show too much improvement over dvd as that was a lazy upscale and not a true high definition master.

btw I don't think the Welcome To My Nightmare wembley shows were actually shot in 16mm anyway. They don't look like it.
There's also great assumptions you have used to prove your point. Your Evil Dead 1 blu ray/dvd comparison would need to be verified that the dvd used the same source as the blu ray and the transfer paid attention to quality. Maybe the dub house for the initial dvd release of your movie was rubbish, who knows? Too many variables to be able to state unequivocally that blu ray will improve 42 year old tv and concert footage - it may, it may not but "quite inaccurate"? Please

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:06 pm

I found an entry for the WTMN movie, in the book "British Film Catalogue" - filmed on Kodak Eastman 16mm film

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:35 am

Even if it is 16mm, that would still look amazing on blu-ray. The shot on video Nightmare TV special, not so much. But yeah, it's possible it was shot on 16mm and blown up to 35mm, but if so, it wasn't as noticeable as it was with Good to See You Again, Alice Cooper

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:11 pm

September 8th release? :clap:

Happy (just barely) belated birthday to me! :8):
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Suspiria
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Suspiria » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:56 pm

VinceLeeRose wrote:
Suspiria wrote:
Widescreen
Thanks. I suppose that it's too much to hope, that we will finally see a widescreen dvd.
Neil Harrison.

Suspiria
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Suspiria » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
Suspiria wrote:

There's also great assumptions you have used to prove your point. Your Evil Dead 1 blu ray/dvd comparison would need to be verified that the dvd used the same source as the blu ray and the transfer paid attention to quality. Maybe the dub house for the initial dvd release of your movie was rubbish, who knows? Too many variables to be able to state unequivocally that blu ray will improve 42 year old tv and concert footage - it may, it may not but "quite inaccurate"? Please
Yeah, facts are stupid things.
Neil Harrison.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:15 pm

For what it's worth, IMDb says this:
Runtime 1 hr 24 min (84 min)
Sound Mix 4-Track Stereo (Western Electric Recording)
Color Color (Eastmancolor)
Negative Format 35 mm
Printed Film Format 35 mm
It doesn't say what the original aspect ratio was.

Hunter