When will there be a Paranormal album review

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tommycooper
Trash
Trash

Re: When will there be a Paranormal album review

Post by tommycooper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:12 am

I'd like to pose another question or two before the album sales discussion goes cold? If Trash was Alice's biggest selling album, and everyone from Forbes to the BBC has been confidently asserting for many years that his career sales are over 50 million, how has that been achieved? The stats we've seen for sales of many of his albums suggest that since Fistful 20 years ago new releases have rarely got above 6 figures. Given that the MCA and Epic albums other than Trash probably didn't outsell the latter when you add them all together, that requires a lot from the WB releases. If you then consider the chart failings from L&W through to Dada (especially the last three) and the first two group albums, that leaves LITD through to ACGTH (8 releases including Greatest Hits). I'm no statistician, but I reckon they'd have had to average at least 4 million each over their lifetime to justify the 50 million overall claim. If that's true, at least one of them must have outsold Trash?!
Of course I've ignored singles, but unless they've accrued sales of many millions, the 4 million assertion above probably still stands. In any event, many news stories talk about album sales of over 50 million, although I accept that might just be sloppy journalism.
It seems that AC/DC's Back in Black has sold as many copies as Alice has of all his releases since the 60s! As a big Alice fan, I've always been a bit disappointed at his lack of sales relative to those some might consider his peers (Aerosmith, Kiss etc. etc.)

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:22 am

with at least 36 legitimate releases (just counting the main ones on the discography page), most of which that were released when physical records still sold, plus many, many other compilations, some of which have sold solidly (a couple surprisingly well) over many years. Then add in all the countries outside the US where albums have been certified over the years (although gold/silver etc would be less in those countries)...
It DOES all add up to a huge number. What that number is I have no idea, but I can believe it could be 50mil or more worldwide.

But at the end of the day that number is likely just pulled from some press release and repeated for years, probably written by Shep haha

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:48 am

Very bizarre that we are on the cusp of a new album release after five and more years, two new songs released, a huge flurry of activity, the old group playing like a second coming.....and we have spent two pages arguing over the sales figures of an album released nearly thirty years ago! Today is music press day, anything new spotted by anyone?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:11 am

dadascot wrote:Very bizarre that we are on the cusp of a new album release after five and more years, two new songs released, a huge flurry of activity, the old group playing like a second coming.....and we have spent two pages arguing over the sales figures of an album released nearly thirty years ago!
It's not really that weird if you think about it.
The arrival of a new album brings up thoughts and questions, and conversations about current news evolve as people talk about related things. It's not like new stuff isn`t being discussed as well, when new info comes up.
When nothing is happening the forums tend to go quiet as people are thinking about other things.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:16 pm

tommycooper wrote:I'd like to pose another question or two before the album sales discussion goes cold? If Trash was Alice's biggest selling album, and everyone from Forbes to the BBC has been confidently asserting for many years that his career sales are over 50 million, how has that been achieved? The stats we've seen for sales of many of his albums suggest that since Fistful 20 years ago new releases have rarely got above 6 figures. Given that the MCA and Epic albums other than Trash probably didn't outsell the latter when you add them all together, that requires a lot from the WB releases. If you then consider the chart failings from L&W through to Dada (especially the last three) and the first two group albums, that leaves LITD through to ACGTH (8 releases including Greatest Hits). I'm no statistician, but I reckon they'd have had to average at least 4 million each over their lifetime to justify the 50 million overall claim. If that's true, at least one of them must have outsold Trash?!

You're forgetting that there's at least 50 million different versions of Freak Out to bolster up the claims

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Babysquid wrote:
tommycooper wrote:I'd like to pose another question or two before the album sales discussion goes cold? If Trash was Alice's biggest selling album, and everyone from Forbes to the BBC has been confidently asserting for many years that his career sales are over 50 million, how has that been achieved? The stats we've seen for sales of many of his albums suggest that since Fistful 20 years ago new releases have rarely got above 6 figures. Given that the MCA and Epic albums other than Trash probably didn't outsell the latter when you add them all together, that requires a lot from the WB releases. If you then consider the chart failings from L&W through to Dada (especially the last three) and the first two group albums, that leaves LITD through to ACGTH (8 releases including Greatest Hits). I'm no statistician, but I reckon they'd have had to average at least 4 million each over their lifetime to justify the 50 million overall claim. If that's true, at least one of them must have outsold Trash?!

You're forgetting that there's at least 50 million different versions of Freak Out to bolster up the claims
Post of the month!!

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Some reviews to get us back on track!

http://powermetal.de/review/review-Alic ... 30848.html

Translated:

69 and not a bit silent! Alice Cooper shows again that he can still do it: Rock of the finest!

Yes! Since isser finally again and shows us that he still has it on it. With "Paranormal", his new studio album, Mr. Cooper surprised us with twelve excellent tracks, which make the feet of every Rock'n'Roll-fans highly struggling. The album was also produced by Bob Ezrin, and ZZ TOP guitarist Billy Gibbons, U2 drummer Larry Mullen jr, DEEP PURPLE bassist Roger Glover, as well as the ALICE COOPER BAND, were also produced.

Even though perhaps not such over-the-earworms like 'Poison' (one of my absolute favorites) or mega-hit earworms like 'School's Out' - to name just these two, I can not enumerate - So the record has a lot of bite and oblique lyrics on offer. There are twelve stories, spiced with a touch of horror and black humor.

From 'Paranormal' to 'Paranioac Personality', reminiscent of a Horrorfilm, to the slightly psychedelic and gloomy ballad 'The Sound Of A'. In between, there are really crass rock bands like 'Fireball', 'Dynamite Road' or 'Rats'.

All this was packed on two CDs, with the bonus CD featuring two special tracks: 'Genuine American Girl' and 'You And All Of Your Friends', both of which are ORIGINAL ALICE COOPER BAND.

Another six tracks are live recordings from Columbus / Ohio, from 6/6/2016, with the current ALICE COOPER BAND. Then there are six real classics in excellent sound: 'No More Mr. Nice Guy', 'Under My Wheels',' Billion Dollar Babies', 'Feed My Frankenstein' (always gladly heard and seen), ' Only Women Bleed 'and of course the inevitable bouncer' School's Out '.

The album is really fond of a live concert and it remains the exciting question how the new songs are implemented stage-technically. There are plenty of ideas.

https://polyprisma.de/review/alice-cooper-paranormal/

Translated:

Alice Cooper is a rocker from the old hit. With 69 years and 26 studio albums he has laid a nearly legendary career. His now appearing album Paranormal is not just another album on the list. In May, he met the original cast of the Alice Cooper band in Nashville and gave a concert in original capacity - or rather, with those who still live.

Shortly thereafter, he announced the album to Paranormal. Two of the new songs were written and recorded together with the "old" Alice Cooper band. Other songs include Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top , Larry Mullen from U2 and Roger Glover from Deep Purple . The first part of Paranormal will consist of twelve new studio recordings. The second part, however, consists of six recordings of his concert in Columbus, Ohio, from 6 May 2016 with the current cast of the Alice Cooper band. At the same time, Alice Cooper will be on tour in the US, including concerts with Deep Purple.

paranormal

Nashville is not any city. It is the city ​​in terms of music, especially for country and Western. This effect can be felt with Paranormal. It is terrifying that Alice Cooper is one of the last rockers of the 1970s, who is at least trying to be relevant to the music world even today. Even if it looks a bit strange, if an almost 70-year-old full of fervor "I'm Eighteen" is good, one should not underestimate its importance.

Paranormal is rock, yes, but it's more rock'n'roll than hard rock or heavy metal. Paranormal is very thoughtful, elegant and classy . It has class and size and at the same time this kick, this feeling that just an Alice Cooper can evoke. The lyrics are typical Alice Cooper, critical, humorous, pointed, up-to-date and yet somehow timeless. Emphasis is given to "Genuine American Girl" in which he deals with the gender and identity problem in his own way.

Colorful ostrich music

The style of the album is sometimes 70s, times 50s, times with country coloring, sometimes boogie, sometimes Blues, but always the very typical Alice Cooper Rock. Sure, it's not a second killer and not a second trillion. But it is solid and it works. As silly as it may sound, but one or the other song has the potential to become an evergreen.

The case of one's own expectations

Paranormal is a kind of musical miracle. Getting to know Gibbons, Mullen and Glover, reveals a little about the approximate orientation of the music. Nevertheless, the music always remains Alice Cooper, even if the coloring changes more times, sometimes less. On the other hand, this has always been the case with his albums: A colorful mix of different styles.

But just this "as always" can go wrong with Paranormal. It seduces an expectation that the album may not be able to meet or perhaps does not want at all. The album is very versatile, the style changes more often than some of their underwear. But no matter how you approach Paranormal, the music is final. The class, the skill, the untroubled size, with which Alice Cooper and the musicians rock, are phenomenal. Sure, a song like Dynamite Road may sound like "played for security", but still you have to bring the thing so solid and convincing.

Paranormal will not work for those who have a fixed picture of Alice Cooper and his music. To this the album combines too many styles and influences, is too fragmented. For all the others, Alice Cooper - Paranormal delivers modern, modern Rock'n'Roll, which shows with wonderful unobtrusiveness, the skirt is still far from ending, if one times the whole new-fashioned nonsense and concentrates on the essentials.

https://www.metalinside.ch/2017/07/alic ... aranormal/

Translated:

CD 1

May the show begin! The title track is the beginning. Acoustic and electric guitars duel from the beginning. After that is very tender song to be heard. So I did not remember Alice's voice. But so slowly a certain recognition takes place. In the last third the whole story takes off. Now the queen of the queen can really start to cry. And the drums also press a bit more on the accelerator pedal. In the end, however, the tempo is already reduced. A thus altogether rather leisurely start. I'm missing the fire so far.

With a time of 02:22 minutes, the following "Dead Flies" already makes much more fun. A solid rock anthem of the Cooper brand. The instrumental fraction is at its best. And also the master himself makes a good figure on the vocals. For the sake of the track, however, the track could have been somewhat longer.

With "Fireball" we finally arrived in Alice's realm. Pleasant tempo and well placed riffs. This is definitely a big catch of this record. This track might also find the way to future live setlists. The breathtaking guitar wall around Nita Strauss, Tommy Henriksen and Ryan Roxie would certainly have been a delight.

This is followed by the already released single "Paranoiac Personality". There was surely also a little attention to the radiability. However, the catchy rhythm nails itself from the beginning in the hearings of the audience. Certainly also a song, which could be successful at concerts. I like Coop very much. I am reminded of his best times. A little more energy and energy would not have hurt. On the album itself, "Paranoiac Personality" is clearly one of the better numbers.

"Fallen in Love" starts with well-known Cooper riffs and is also quite fast. Billy Gibbons from the legendary ZZ Top also mixes. A very horny duet between him and Alice. That rocks! The result is the next set-up for "Paranormal". "Coop" has definitely not yet been tasted.

Directly from a Rock 'N' Roll textbook, the following "Dynamite Road" appears. Quick and uncompromising is the point. This anthem invariably animated. Alice almost tries to talk. Unfortunately the fun after 02:43 minutes is already over again. The end follows quite abruptly.

Actually, there is also not a lot of "Private Public Breakdown". In the overall picture, the song comes out soundly solid. It does not really matter to me this time really from the chair. The two above mentioned playing tips are yet again on a different level level.

The full rock 'n' roll dose can be found again at «Holy Water». The thing is funny, although it is actually a rather untypical Cooper number. Is this a problem? Not at all. The dancing leg could be swinged excellently. Sounds like a bit, as if Alice had called for help from a big band. Remember this song, dear people. "Coop" can also sing for something sacred. In real life, far from the terrible shock rock worlds, Alice is a believing Christian, by the way.

Then the rats rush up. "Council" also sets much pace. «Give the rats what they want!». This is actually all told. The master does not come without horror elements. Alice, however, is not the Pied Piper of Hamelin. He would rather let the hungry beasts go to mankind. Unfortunately, this otherwise appealing number is somewhat too short.

With "The Sound Of A", we are at the end of CD 1. Awe-inspiring guitar rush opens the track. Afterwards it's easy to go to and fro. Mister Cooper's singing is quite monotonous on this piece. A not really intoxicating album ending.

CD 2

Disc Numero two consists of two tracks with the Alice Cooper band in the original cast and some live recordings from a last year's performance in Columbus. "Genuine American Girl" and "You And All Of Your Friends" are two brand new studio songs. In particular, the second-named track has done quite well. The live recordings from the show in the US have the listener thoughtfully participate in a "Coop" concert and they do this in an outstanding manner. Especially "No Mr Nice Guy" and "Feed My Frankenstein" ensure the right mood. One is already looking forward to the next, real concert experience with Alice and his great troupe. Without a doubt a very cool bonus CD.

CONCLUSION
Former champion Alice Cooper announces again to the service! With "Paranormal" he has achieved a very solid album. But he will never be able to reach the great hymns. These are all already written. Nevertheless the album contains a few pretty pearls. You should pay attention to "Fallen In Love" (with ZZ Top-Leader Billy Gibbons) and the unusual but absolutely outstanding "Holy Water". The Bonus-CD trumps with ingenious live recordings of old-known Cooper hits and is definitely a nice "Zückerli".

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Thank you for taking the time and effort to do that for us!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:56 pm

"Fallen in Love" starts with well-known Cooper riffs and is also quite fast. Billy Gibbons from the legendary ZZ Top also mixes. A very horny duet between him and Alice.

This I have to hear.

schinkengott
Killer
Killer

Post by schinkengott » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:33 pm

For what it's worth, just scanned through the latest issue of German Metal Hammer magazine in the local supermarket. There's an interview and a review (which is very positive, 6 out of 7 stars). Two things from the interview were quite interesting: Alice said that he's open to collaborate more with the original guys if the UK shows go down well and even mentions that he wants to bring them to Germany as well on the tour following the Spend the night Tour. Second interesting thing is that The Sound of A was played to Alice by Dennis. Asked when Dennis wrote that he replied that it was Alice in 1967, so supposedly it's a Song that was completely written (words and music) ny Alice.

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk
Thats what a good spider does...you trap....you kill....you eat

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 pm

schinkengott wrote: Second interesting thing is that The Sound of A was played to Alice by Dennis. Asked when Dennis wrote that he replied that it was Alice in 1967, so supposedly it's a Song that was completely written (words and music) ny Alice.
Haha THAT is what Alice told me at the London album launch.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:39 pm

schinkengott wrote:For what it's worth, just scanned through the latest issue of German Metal Hammer magazine in the local supermarket. There's an interview and a review (which is very positive, 6 out of 7 stars). Two things from the interview were quite interesting: Alice said that he's open to collaborate more with the original guys if the UK shows go down well and even mentions that he wants to bring them to Germany as well on the tour following the Spend the night Tour. Second interesting thing is that The Sound of A was played to Alice by Dennis. Asked when Dennis wrote that he replied that it was Alice in 1967, so supposedly it's a Song that was completely written (words and music) ny Alice.

Good news for ACG fans. Confused about the song though. How did Alice write it if Dennis played it to him?

schinkengott
Killer
Killer

Post by schinkengott » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Dunno. But if he played it to him, it's likely that some sort of demo exists. Wouldn't be the first thing Alice forgot about.

Thats what a good spider does...you trap....you kill....you eat

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 pm

schinkengott wrote:Dunno. But if he played it to him, it's likely that some sort of demo exists. Wouldn't be the first thing Alice forgot about.

Ah yes that would make sense.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:46 am

Been reading the article in Aardschok mentioned by Hunter.most of it known except for one thing : Alice says that Died Flies covers the same theme as Generation Landslide.
For the rest nothing but praise for the man and his carreer.
you really wouldn't understand..

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:17 pm

It gets rubbished by 'Record Collector' magazine. Here's a summary:

Paranormal lacks the nostalgia factor of W2MN; a concept, such as the one behind ACAS; and can't claim a return to the heaviness of DT. So, what does it offer? Not much, other than a moderately listenable set of songs. 'Genuine American Girl', plus 'You & All Of Your Friends', are the best songs. The rest? Listen once, and forget.

Two stars.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:51 pm

concolz wrote:It gets rubbished by 'Record Collector' magazine. Here's a summary:

Paranormal lacks the nostalgia factor of W2MN; a concept, such as the one behind ACAS; and can't claim a return to the heaviness of DT. So, what does it offer? Not much, other than a moderately listenable set of songs. 'Genuine American Girl', plus 'You & All Of Your Friends', are the best songs. The rest? Listen once, and forget.

Two stars.
Does guttertrash work for record collector? :)

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:00 pm

concolz wrote:It gets rubbished by 'Record Collector' magazine. Here's a summary:

Two stars.

Wonder if Remarkably will ask them to swallow their pride?

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:21 pm

That was funny, babysquid! :) I do not think the album is all that terrible. Much better than W2MN and the HV album, although I feel like it is closer to the Hollywood Vampires in spirit due to the majority of the songs outright copping the styles or bits from other bands or artists. I can see how people can enjoy it, because it is a mostly solid batch of songs, but I just can't get into it because the obvious bits pulled from other artists or songs just hinders me from enjoying them. The production also strips it of any kind of dirtiness or bite, and it is rather unengaging and suffers from the typical issues that makes me dislike most modern and digitally produced albums.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:33 am

concolz wrote:Paranormal lacks the nostalgia factor of W2MN; a concept, such as the one behind ACAS; and can't claim a return to the heaviness of DT.
None of these comparisons matter to me. In fact some of his comparisons make me look forward to P even more. This reviewer uses W2MN and ACAS as some sort of barometers of greatness, which tells me his tastes and mine are probably opposites.

Look forward to the release and (potentially) Alice's best album since BP or TLT!