When will there be a Paranormal album review

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: When will there be a Paranormal album review

Post by AliceFan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:01 am

guttertrash wrote:Based on what I got from Si's synopsis of the few tracks that they heard, it sounds like Paranormal is a great name for the album, because they were consistently possessed by Alice's friends which led to what sounds like more of an extension of the Hollywood Vampires than anything else. I also like that it has been stated that Alice was in fact saying that the ACG tracks were being written in a Killer vein and not the whole album, but even that seems to be untrue. I will be at the shows, but I think my buying of Alice records are done. Better yet, just record all new albums with the Hollywood Vampires that way I will know not to buy it and continue to tour the hits solo.
Hey fella, just because the album may not sound exactly like a 70s style killer type vein doesn't mean it won't be a good album, you know? Don't you know killer was recorded 46 yrs ago? ?? It's absolutely impossible to recreate that sound of that album or replicate it many yrs later in our present day,no one band has done or achieved this that have said this many have promised this very same thing though.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:13 am

Alicefan, I didn't expect the album to sound just like Killer, but I expected there to be a swagger to it. The first single does not have ny swagger at all, and based on what Si said, it sounds more like it will be an album replicating other bands other than sounding like Alice Cooper. I have no desire to listen to that. It's why I have no interest in the Hollywood Vampires. I had already cancelled my preorder for the cd, but as a vinyl completist, I kept my preorder in for that until today, and it is now cancelled.

And albums can still be made to sound like those great 70s albums, but very few bands and producers take the time to record live basic tracks much less analog. Sweden is delivering albums with classic rock vibes in spades however

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:17 am

AliceFan wrote:
guttertrash wrote:Based on what I got from Si's synopsis of the few tracks that they heard, it sounds like Paranormal is a great name for the album, because they were consistently possessed by Alice's friends which led to what sounds like more of an extension of the Hollywood Vampires than anything else. I also like that it has been stated that Alice was in fact saying that the ACG tracks were being written in a Killer vein and not the whole album, but even that seems to be untrue. I will be at the shows, but I think my buying of Alice records are done. Better yet, just record all new albums with the Hollywood Vampires that way I will know not to buy it and continue to tour the hits solo.
Hey fella, just because the album may not sound exactly like a 70s style killer type vein doesn't mean it won't be a good album, you know? Don't you know killer was recorded 46 yrs ago? ?? It's absolutely impossible to recreate that sound of that album or replicate it many yrs later in our present day,no one band has done or achieved this that have said this many have promised this very same thing though.

And based on that I wish Alice would stop comparing any of his new work to the past, who is he trying to convince lol

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:36 am

Somwhere In Auckland wrote:
AliceFan wrote:

And based on that I wish Alice would stop comparing any of his new work to the past, who is he trying to convince lol
I personally don't care if it sounds 70s or not but it will definitely not sound like a Hollywood Vampires album and si, was just comparing the songs to these bands he never said that they were going to sound exactly like the bands he mentioned, it still has Alice's voice though. You'll be the one disappointed though for cancellation of your order, a month before the release date, how stupid ? The rest of us fans will be enjoying the heLl out of it and it will be your loss.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:57 am

You make these blanket idiotic statements. How do you know the rest of us will be enjoying the hell out of it? There has been one single and most of us are mixed on it. No one wants the live tracks either.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:14 am

It wipl be on spotify before it would be in my mailbox, so I will listen to it for free and then probably never again, because the more I hear about it, the more I am disinterested in it.

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:29 am

pitkin88 wrote:You make these blanket idiotic statements. How do you know the rest of us will be enjoying the hell out of it? There has been one single and most of us are mixed on it. No one wants the live tracks either.
most of us are not mixed about the new album, the only people here mixed about it are you and guttertrash, cause both of you think alIke and are very hard to please on anything when it comes to Alice and are very not what I would call true Alice Cooper fans,nether one of you are. If you were you'd like and appreciate anything Alice releaseS not complain about it all the time like you both do.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:28 am

I don't automatically like an album just because it is created by a certain band or artist. I Have thousands of albums that are not subpar, so I have no desire to spend money on something that I will shelve immediately. Wish I would have not wasted the money on W2MN or ACAS either.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:29 am

AliceFan wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:You make these blanket idiotic statements. How do you know the rest of us will be enjoying the hell out of it? There has been one single and most of us are mixed on it. No one wants the live tracks either.
most of us are not mixed about the new album, the only people here mixed about it are you and guttertrash, cause both of you think alIke and are very hard to please on anything when it comes to Alice and are very not what I would call true Alice Cooper fans,nether one of you are. If you were you'd like and appreciate anything Alice releaseS not complain about it all the time like you both do.

I said mixed on the one song. Apart from Si no one has heard the album. I could give two shits what you consider true Alice Cooper fans. Why would anyone appreciate anything Alice releases? You are an odd one Alicefan.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks for the report of the launch Si, sounds like a great event to be at and I'm looking forward to the album more now. Must be wierd hearing much of the album for the first time in that way.

On another note, and I never thought I'd say this, but I really enjoyed Alice's appearance with Chris Moyles. He spoke really kindly of Alice and it would have been a great listen to people who didn't know much of the history of Alice and rest of the Group.

The countdown begins :)
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:59 am

wind_up_toy wrote:Thanks for the report of the launch Si, sounds like a great event to be at and I'm looking forward to the album more now. Must be wierd hearing much of the album for the first time in that way.
It WAS a very cool event and a lot of fun, but yes, not the ideal listening experience really. To be honest I really expected a state of the art sound system in a darkened room, so you could really hear the songs in the best situation. The sort of situation I have heard described before about such events. It wasn't really like that though. As I say on the news page, don't consider my report a review of the album. It's just a write up of my scribbled notes as I was listening, that I hoped would maybe answer a few questions people have had and give an idea of what the album holds. I used other bands mainly to help give an idea of the flavour the songs have more than to say song A sounds exactly like band B. Others may here something entirely different when they hear it.
wind_up_toy wrote: On another note, and I never thought I'd say this, but I really enjoyed Alice's appearance with Chris Moyles. He spoke really kindly of Alice and it would have been a great listen to people who didn't know much of the history of Alice and rest of the Group.
I thought it was certainly one of the better interviews. He'd done some background research, unlike most journalists/radio jocks, and obviously had found the story interesting. I know nothing about Moyles at all, having never heard him before, but I get the feeling he isn't very popular in some circles from mentions I have heard on other shows over the years. I don't know what the deal with that is, but I thought he did a very good job.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:35 am

To Guttercat (and Pitkin to a degree) and Alicefan.

Could you guys calm down a little? You are obviously coming from completely different places and are unlikely to ever meet half way.

Yes, Alicefan's overwhelming positivity about all things Alice is a little over the top at times, but while he may say some silly things it's because he's excited about new material from his favorite artist. I don't see any real harm there, and he will either love or hate the album when he hears it. He isn't unique in automatically buying anything Alice releases just based on the name on the package. Many of us do exactly the same thing. We're just supporting an artist we love and have learnt through the years that there is always something to like about an Alice Cooper branded record, even ACAS!

Guttercat, and Pitkin are on completely the other side of the fence. They have sadly lost faith and feel they've been burned a few times to many after buying albums and not liked them. So they will 'try before they buy' with future product, and that's okay as well. It happens to everyone with one artist or another and we all have differing tastes in music, so what will please some won't impress others. But in the same way some of Alicefan's blind certainty that the album will be amazing and loved by everyone when they hear it is slightly mad, their conclusion that they won`t like it without having actually heard it is equally silly. While you can make a few educated guesses based on the single (which really isn't that representative I feel) you have no way of knowing that until you actually sit down and hear it. I've heard over half of it and I STILL don't know yet how much I like it, nor feel I can past judgement on it at this stage.

Both sides of this fence are extreme. I think you should both move back a little from that extreme and give the music a chance. It's fine to say 'I'm not liking what I've heard so far, I don't think this one is going to be for me', but to completely damn the album without hearing it doesn`t make much sense to me. You really don't have the key information to make that judgement yet.

Be a little more patient and wait until it's out. Then you can declare "nope, it's just not what I want to hear from Alice. I don't like it" or "this is the best thing ever, I love it!". BOTH are valid as music is purely taste, and we all have differing tastes in music. After a while a general consensus will emerge from the many differing views that are expressed, be it that it's a great album (eg BP), a bad one (ACAS), or completely split down in the middle (W2MN), but even then that doesn't really matter. It's all down to weather YOU like it or not, but surely you can only really decide that after having heard it a few times, and even then the fact you hate it doesn`t mean others are wrong if they love it, or vice versa.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:11 am

Si wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote:Thanks for the report of the launch Si, sounds like a great event to be at and I'm looking forward to the album more now. Must be wierd hearing much of the album for the first time in that way.
It WAS a very cool event and a lot of fun, but yes, not the ideal listening experience really. To be honest I really expected a state of the art sound system in a darkened room, so you could really hear the songs in the best situation. The sort of situation I have heard described before about such events. It wasn't really like that though. As I say on the news page, don't consider my report a review of the album. It's just a write up of my scribbled notes as I was listening, that I hoped would maybe answer a few questions people have had and give an idea of what the album holds. I used other bands mainly to help give an idea of the flavour the songs have more than to say song A sounds exactly like band B. Others may here something entirely different when they hear it.
wind_up_toy wrote: On another note, and I never thought I'd say this, but I really enjoyed Alice's appearance with Chris Moyles. He spoke really kindly of Alice and it would have been a great listen to people who didn't know much of the history of Alice and rest of the Group.
I thought it was certainly one of the better interviews. He'd done some background research, unlike most journalists/radio jocks, and obviously had found the story interesting. I know nothing about Moyles at all, having never heard him before, but I get the feeling he isn't very popular in some circles from mentions I have heard on other shows over the years. I don't know what the deal with that is, but I thought he did a very good job.
It's safe to say that I was not a fan of Moyles in his Radio 1 days, all talk (about mostly drivel) and little music. That was probably due to the required format of the show though so it's good that he's now doing something a little classier these days.

I won't hold you to your initial comments about the new album, even if you have really wetted my appetite about 1 song in particular :)

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:16 am

From pitkin88:
"Apart from Si no one has heard the album."

I have as I was at the same event but I wasn't listening that closely. I did get to see the vinyl packaging before the event as well.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:42 am

wind_up_toy wrote: I won't hold you to your initial comments about the new album, even if you have really wetted my appetite about 1 song in particular :)
I have hopes that 'The Sound Of A' is going to be an absolute killer song. It felt like the standout track of the ones we heard. There is VERY interesting story behind that songs creation as well, that Alice told me at the end of the event, but unless Alice mentions it elsewhere first I'm not telling that until after the album is out and everyone has heard the song properly ;)

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:16 am

Si wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote: I won't hold you to your initial comments about the new album, even if you have really wetted my appetite about 1 song in particular :)
I have hopes that 'The Sound Of A' is going to be an absolute killer song. It felt like the standout track of the ones we heard. There is VERY interesting story behind that songs creation as well, that Alice told me at the end of the event, but unless Alice mentions it elsewhere first I'm not telling that until after the album is out and everyone has heard the song properly ;)
Look forward to hearing it.

The Sun has an article that covers the launch and Alice's little trip:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3 ... my-corbyn/

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:52 pm

wind_up_toy wrote: The Sun has an article that covers the launch and Alice's little trip:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3 ... my-corbyn/
I covered that on the news page this morning. Alice did not mention Glastonbury or Corbyn at all during the Thursday night event (where the reporter claims the quotes come from) so the heading is misleading at best. His words (or approximations at least) have been purposely placed into a very different context to create a story.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:29 pm

Si, your comments about the press release and listening party have driven me nervous! I can't wait for this album. I am so happy! Alice Rules!
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:09 am

guttertrash wrote:I don't automatically like an album just because it is created by a certain band or artist. I Have thousands of albums that are not subpar, so I have no desire to spend money on something that I will shelve immediately. Wish I would have not wasted the money on W2MN or ACAS either.
Oh, You mean like Guns & Roses Appetite for Destruction? When released all they had was "Welcome To The Jungle" & that I think it was used in "Dead Pool" by Clint. I shelved it because I felt it was redundant. They were wearing their influences on their sleeve & cashing in on it. It has since become a "Classic." They just got their videos on MTV at the right time & that's what a proper Record Company can do for an artist!! If they believe in the artist they're promoting. Times have changed. :devil:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:43 am

I want albums with grit and swagger. Not too sure of any bands that reinvent the wheel when it comes to rock n' roll, but the best add their own flair to it. If all you can hear are the influences, so be it, but Guns N' Roses met at the intersection of classic rock, punk, and metal and even had some r&b, funk, disco elements in the rhythm section. Who cares about the influence? The hooks and riffs are sharp and destructive. I like bands that play raw, primal rock n' roll. Alice Cooper did that until WTMN. It still has enough swagger along with some of GTH to hold it together enough for me to enjoy. After that, it is mostly gone.

I would rather a band be unoriginal and fall back on influences from the classic rock era instead of an influential artist fall back on the current state of the music scene. That being said, Guns N Roses did things in ways that no band before or after has done. You can talk about influences, but no other band married ideas and elements from such a vast array of influences into a concise, razor sharp album.

Talk about unoriginal, Alice had Desmond Child, Bon Jovi, and Sambora write most of an album. He moved into new wave and punk, and he made hair metal albums. None of these albums are close to being great, and they mostly fail, because they are forced and channel the cliches of what they are trying to be. Instead of making a strong album that is just being Alice, we get Alice trying to be what he is not, and his art suffers from it.