Re: When will there be a Paranormal album review

Post by guttertrash » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:42 pm

No offense taken

Suspiria
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Suspiria » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:28 pm

guttertrash wrote:Alice released 4 singles off Trash. Poison hit #7. The others didn't even crack the top 50 in the U.S. The only reason Poison hit #7 was because the label promoted Alice because of who he was. If it had been a new band releasing that song in 1989, it would have gotten lost in the sea of mediocrity just like the rest of his singles from that album.
Not much of a fan of the Trash album but I do think that Poison is a great track. It may have just been #7 in the US, but it was #2 over here in the UK (if memory serves me properly). I wouldn't ascribe it's success to promotion only, it was a very catchy song that even non-Alice fans enjoyed hearing.
Neil Harrison.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Frm Babysquid:
"If that's the case cool. My suspicion is that he was probably referring to overdriving the preamp on the tape machine which is not the same as saturating the tape. Getting that sort of distortion from tape saturation is really going the long way round and I don't think that's Bob's way."

The quote from Ezrin is at http://www.emusician.com/artists/1333/b ... ucer/37850 but whether his explanation is the same as "saturation" (which I don't think guttertrash mentioned) I will leave to you and guttertrash to decide.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:16 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote: The quote from Ezrin is at http://www.emusician.com/artists/1333/b ... ucer/37850 but whether his explanation is the same as "saturation" (which I don't think guttertrash mentioned) I will leave to you and guttertrash to decide.
Thanks for posting this article, Andy M. Very informative and interesting info. I love reading about the recording process, especially from masters like Ezrin. SM 57 on vocals, stereo phasing, and plugging one ear were fascinating revelations. As for the guitars on SO, I never knew amps weren't used. The Beatles did the same thing on "Revolution". Not sure on the "tape saturation" debate- Ezrin didn't mention that, but it's still a possibility.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:37 pm

Have anymore reviews surfaced?

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:06 am

guttertrash wrote:The only reason Poison hit #7 was because the label promoted Alice because of who he was.

You like to make things up and state them as fact. I knew people that liked the song before they even knew it was Alice, so there goes your theory.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:11 am

Spiner202 wrote:I know a lot of people don't like Trash, but I listen to a ton of glam metal, and Trash is easily one of the best albums in the style.
I like a lot of the TRASH album. The best tunes on it are great songs.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:34 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
guttertrash wrote:The only reason Poison hit #7 was because the label promoted Alice because of who he was.

You like to make things up and state them as fact. I knew people that liked the song before they even knew it was Alice, so there goes your theory.

Yeah the multitude of people you know blows his theory right out of the water.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:39 am

Spiner202 wrote:I know a lot of people don't like Trash, but I listen to a ton of glam metal, and Trash is easily one of the best albums in the style.
I like a lot of the TRASH album. The best tunes on it are great songs.

Aside from Poison non of these great songs would ever make any best of Alice lists. Contrived sterile songs from a middle aged man pretending he's some sex god.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:08 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:Frm Babysquid:
"If that's the case cool. My suspicion is that he was probably referring to overdriving the preamp on the tape machine which is not the same as saturating the tape. Getting that sort of distortion from tape saturation is really going the long way round and I don't think that's Bob's way."

The quote from Ezrin is at http://www.emusician.com/artists/1333/b ... ucer/37850 but whether his explanation is the same as "saturation" (which I don't think guttertrash mentioned) I will leave to you and guttertrash to decide.
Thanks for posting this

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:25 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote: The quote from Ezrin is at http://www.emusician.com/artists/1333/b ... ucer/37850 but whether his explanation is the same as "saturation" (which I don't think guttertrash mentioned) I will leave to you and guttertrash to decide.
Thanks for posting this article, Andy M. Very informative and interesting info. I love reading about the recording process, especially from masters like Ezrin. SM 57 on vocals, stereo phasing, and plugging one ear were fascinating revelations. As for the guitars on SO, I never knew amps weren't used. The Beatles did the same thing on "Revolution". Not sure on the "tape saturation" debate- Ezrin didn't mention that, but it's still a possibility.
Yes having re read guttertrash's original post he doesn't actually say that the sound was created from overloading the tape. My bad!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am

pitkin88 wrote:Aside from Poison non of these great songs would ever make any best of Alice lists.
Who cares? We all know which songs make most Alice Cooper 'Best of" lists. There are many great Alice songs that wouldn't make any 'best of' lists including many from the original band.
Last edited by RemarkablyInsincere on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Yeah the multitude of people you know blows his theory right out of the water.
To say that Poison was only successful because of promotion might be the most laughable thing I've ever read on here next to most of your posts.

Desmond Child has written a zillion hit songs for many different artists and actually made and saved many careers.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:51 pm

How do you think the song was on the radio for people to hear it? Because the label put money behind it. People would have never heard it otherwise, and it would not have been a hit otherwise. You can like the song, but it was a hit and a resurgence for Alice, because it was not a lost gem as with a ton of songs that could have created careers for musicians but was given no label support.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:33 pm

guttertrash wrote:How do you think the song was on the radio for people to hear it? Because the label put money behind it. People would have never heard it otherwise, and it would not have been a hit otherwise. You can like the song, but it was a hit and a resurgence for Alice, because it was not a lost gem as with a ton of songs that could have created careers for musicians but was given no label support.
The label puts money behind plenty of songs that aren't hits.

Now stop being stupid.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:43 pm

guttertrash wrote:How do you think the song was on the radio for people to hear it? Because the label put money behind it. People would have never heard it otherwise, and it would not have been a hit otherwise. You can like the song, but it was a hit and a resurgence for Alice, because it was not a lost gem as with a ton of songs that could have created careers for musicians but was given no label support.
The label puts money behind plenty of songs that aren't hits.

Now stop being stupid.

You are very tetchy today.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:58 pm

Somebody who worked for epic at the time posted on here recently and did say that there was a ton of promotion behind "Poison" and "Trash".
I'd never heard of Alice before this, in fact as I've mentioned before I wasn't even interested in music. Seriously I had to listen to the radio each day on the school run and nothing bothered me till this song. Now my listening tastes are miles away from "Trash" but like Mum's cooking it's always going to sound like home.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:01 pm

At the same time I completely understand how long term fans hate it

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:11 pm

pitkin88 wrote: You are very tetchy today.
I should have said, stop being stoopid.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:07 pm

pitkin88 wrote: You are very tetchy today.
I should have said, stop being stoopid.

There are a lot of things you should stop doing.