When will there be a Paranormal album review

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Re: When will there be a Paranormal album review

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:28 pm

guttertrash wrote:and if Alice did not have the background that he already had and Trash was instead a debut by some new band, it would have gotten little to no promotion and would have been swept under the rug along with 85% of the other bands of that era...if lucky, it would have been in the same realm as Trixter or Britny Fox.
Yea, because those Desmond Child hit songs never did anything for anybody.

:eye roll:
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Desmond Child was just horrible. Sanitized bland corporate vomit. He is about as rock n roll as Celine Dion.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:54 pm

pitkin88 wrote:Desmond Child was just horrible. Sanitized bland corporate vomit. He is about as rock n roll as Celine Dion.
Didn`t he write for her as well? Rings a bell haha

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:57 pm

I got to say the reviewer is right on the mark about Ezrin. He has become the sanitizer. Sterile was the first word that came to mind when I heard the first song released. When you listen to the early stuff he did with Alice or Pink Floyd and listen to Paranoid I just scratch my head.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Alice released 4 singles off Trash. Poison hit #7. The others didn't even crack the top 50 in the U.S. The only reason Poison hit #7 was because the label promoted Alice because of who he was. If it had been a new band releasing that song in 1989, it would have gotten lost in the sea of mediocrity just like the rest of his singles from that album.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Bob Ezrin has been sterile since Billion Dollar Babies, and some say School's out. I agree that it was slick, but I think BDB was the first that was a over-the-top. I don't blame the band for working with Jack Douglas either. He is a killer producer. Sadly Muscle Of Love just sounds rushed or not fully realized. And considering that it was their 5th release in 3 years and was recorded on the heels of their largest release and tour, it makes sense that they were exhausted and not in top songwriting form.

As far as Ezrin, he also sterilized KISS with Destroyer and Pink Floyd with The Wall. Those albums as well as School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies all have songs that overcome his production though. I can't think of an album he has produced outside of Killer that is produced all that great actually.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:39 pm

guttertrash wrote:Alice released 4 singles off Trash. Poison hit #7. The others didn't even crack the top 50 in the U.S. The only reason Poison hit #7 was because the label promoted Alice because of who he was. If it had been a new band releasing that song in 1989, it would have gotten lost in the sea of mediocrity just like the rest of his singles from that album.
Not because of the topless chick in the video?
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:13 pm

I know a lot of people don't like Trash, but I listen to a ton of glam metal, and Trash is easily one of the best albums in the style. There's maybe 3 albums that are better in that style (first two Skid Row + Dokken's Under Lock and Key). Most other bands don't even come close to how brilliant Trash is.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:06 am

Spiner202 wrote:I know a lot of people don't like Trash, but I listen to a ton of glam metal, and Trash is easily one of the best albums in the style. There's maybe 3 albums that are better in that style (first two Skid Row + Dokken's Under Lock and Key). Most other bands don't even come close to how brilliant Trash is.
Here are 20 albums of cheesy rock from 1989 alone that I'd listen to over Trash.

1. Tesla - The Great Radio Controversy
2. Roxx Gang - Things You've Done Before
3. Great White - ...Twice Shy
4. Skid Row - Skid Row
5. The Cult - Sonic Temple
6. Disneyland After Dark – No Fuel Left For The Pilgrims
7. Blue Murder -Blue Murder
8. Junkyard - Junkyard
9. Badlands - Badlands
10. Shark Island - Law Of The Order
11. Britny Fox - Boys In Heat (Even though it sounds like a Cinderella ripoff)
12. L.A. Guns - Cocked And Loaded
13. Faster Pussycat - Wake Me When It's Over
14. The Dogs D'Amour - Errol Flynn
15. Michael Monroe - Not Fakin' It
16. Sea Hags - Sea Hags
17. Rock City Angels - Young Man's Blues
18. Sleeze Beez - Screwed Blued & Tattooed
19. The Almighty - Blood, Fire, & Love
20. Backstreet Girls - Party On Elm Street

A ton of people would more than likely throw Aerosmith's Pump and Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood in there also.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:25 am

Spiner202 wrote:I know a lot of people don't like Trash, but I listen to a ton of glam metal, and Trash is easily one of the best albums in the style. There's maybe 3 albums that are better in that style (first two Skid Row + Dokken's Under Lock and Key). Most other bands don't even come close to how brilliant Trash is.

Paging Mr Barlow. Mr Barlow to a telephone.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:37 am

guttertrash wrote:Bob Ezrin has been sterile since Billion Dollar Babies, and some say School's out. I agree that it was slick, but I think BDB was the first that was a over-the-top. I don't blame the band for working with Jack Douglas either. He is a killer producer. Sadly Muscle Of Love just sounds rushed or not fully realized. And considering that it was their 5th release in 3 years and was recorded on the heels of their largest release and tour, it makes sense that they were exhausted and not in top songwriting form.

As far as Ezrin, he also sterilized KISS with Destroyer and Pink Floyd with The Wall. Those albums as well as School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies all have songs that overcome his production though. I can't think of an album he has produced outside of Killer that is produced all that great actually.
Sure, Billion Dollar Babies was their "slickest" recording to date with "slickest" meaning "commercial-appeal production", however it was perfect to bring the band to the masses and top 40 radio. Yet the album sounds ferocious - the powerful reverb-drenched opening of "Hello Hooray", the punchy drum sound on "Billion" , and the great mix of acoustic and electric guitar on "Generation Landslide" to cite only a few examples. I think some of the more commercial songs like "No More Mr. NG" lead some people to believe the production was too slick. I would hardly call the production sterile. The album was a perfect combination of shock rock and bucking for the mainstream. The bombast would have been lost on "Sick Things" and " I Love the Dead" if the production was "dryer" and not produced the way it was when released. I think it's more of the arrangements and instruments used that make a recording sound slick. A good example is the Welcome to My Nightmare album where the title track utilizes a lot of horns and acoustic guitars (which lends to a slick sound) and on the opposite side, "The Black Widow" which just flat out rocks and uses electric guitars as the core sound.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:32 am

I feel like instrument tones are a major player in the sterility and During the pre-digital era, a lot went into recording compared to now even though, some people still do record analog. A big thing with tape is that you can get some insanely cool sounds out of it by the approach you use for recording. Such as with GB's guitar on School's Out for instance, they redlined the recording which made it clip, but on tape, it broke it up into a dirty, fuzzy crackling tone. It's still a pretty slick sounding album, but it still used some pretty interesting techniques that made for some gnarly tones. On Billion Dollar Babies, the tones are extremely clean and slick, and there is very little if any kind of raunchy sounds like you had on School's Out and before it. So in my opinion, it is more sterile. I love the album, but I think it could have had some gnarly moments with different tones.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:56 am

guttertrash wrote:I feel like instrument tones are a major player in the sterility and During the pre-digital era, a lot went into recording compared to now even though, some people still do record analog. A big thing with tape is that you can get some insanely cool sounds out of it by the approach you use for recording. Such as with GB's guitar on School's Out for instance, they redlined the recording which made it clip, but on tape, it broke it up into a dirty, fuzzy crackling tone. It's still a pretty slick sounding album, but it still used some pretty interesting techniques that made for some gnarly tones. On Billion Dollar Babies, the tones are extremely clean and slick, and there is very little if any kind of raunchy sounds like you had on School's Out and before it. So in my opinion, it is more sterile. I love the album, but I think it could have had some gnarly moments with different tones.
Regarding GB's guitar tone on School's Out do you know for sure that's how he got that sound? Have you heard it somewhere or are you making an assumption? I only ask because that doesn't sound like tape saturation to me. It sounds more like a fuzz box ( which we know Glen sometimes used) or overdriving the preamp on the desk.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:06 am

guttertrash wrote:
Here are 20 albums of cheesy rock from 1989 alone that I'd listen to over Trash.

1. Tesla - The Great Radio Controversy
2. Roxx Gang - Things You've Done Before
3. Great White - ...Twice Shy
4. Skid Row - Skid Row
5. The Cult - Sonic Temple
6. Disneyland After Dark – No Fuel Left For The Pilgrims
7. Blue Murder -Blue Murder
8. Junkyard - Junkyard
9. Badlands - Badlands
10. Shark Island - Law Of The Order
11. Britny Fox - Boys In Heat (Even though it sounds like a Cinderella ripoff)
12. L.A. Guns - Cocked And Loaded
13. Faster Pussycat - Wake Me When It's Over
14. The Dogs D'Amour - Errol Flynn
15. Michael Monroe - Not Fakin' It
16. Sea Hags - Sea Hags
17. Rock City Angels - Young Man's Blues
18. Sleeze Beez - Screwed Blued & Tattooed
19. The Almighty - Blood, Fire, & Love
20. Backstreet Girls - Party On Elm Street

A ton of people would more than likely throw Aerosmith's Pump and Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood in there also.
Who cares?

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:56 am

Dadascot, I don't think the reply mentioned you, so you could have just scrolled right on by. I guess you care more than you want to admit though, since you felt the need to make a comment.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:04 am

From Babysquid:
"Regarding GB's guitar tone on School's Out do you know for sure that's how he got that sound? Have you heard it somewhere or are you making an assumption?"

I think there is an interview out there with Bob Ezrin where he says that's what happened.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:07 am

Yes, there is an interview. I will see if I can find it again when I have time.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:51 am

So guttertrash, So we can only comment on posts that mention us by name? Mmmm don't think you have grasped the concept of a forum!! ::((:

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:51 pm

No, I did not say that at all. I said that you saying "who cares?" actually shows that you must care, because if you felt like it wasn't worth dealing with, you would have not taken part in it at all. Your "who cares?" is more along the lines of you telling somebody not to comment. Spiner gave his opinion, and I gave my objection and my difference of opinion. I'm pretty sure that is how forums work...not with somebody chiming in with a comment that is a thinly veiled guise for dislike of a comment when said comment was a counter opinion to an another person's posted opinion. So yet again, if you don't care, why even comment at all when you could have just ignored it? You definitely can comment, and it seems like it would have made more sense and actually been more in line of the purpose of a forum for you to actually have added your own opinion instead of a simple "who cares"...considering that at least two people already cared enough to comment on where the album stands in regards to other albums the era.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:25 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Babysquid:
"Regarding GB's guitar tone on School's Out do you know for sure that's how he got that sound? Have you heard it somewhere or are you making an assumption?"

I think there is an interview out there with Bob Ezrin where he says that's what happened.
If that's the case cool. My suspicion is that he was probably referring to overdriving the preamp on the tape machine which is not the same as saturating the tape. Getting that sort of distortion from tape saturation is really going the long way round and I don't think that's Bob's way.
Sorry to guttertrash if you thought I was trying to demean your post. I was honestly just interested.