What is it you love about Alice?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

What is it you love about Alice?

Post by rgallie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:46 pm

A new song out has drawn its criticisms, for me I'm happy for new music that is (I personally think) better than anything since 2000.

Anyway this thread is about the title. What is it you love about Alice?

For me its at 69 he is belting out Brutal Planet and making it look so casual!

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: What is it you love about Alice?

Post by guttertrash » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:55 pm

My dad had Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits on vinyl, and it got listened to often. I got all those early albums when I was a young teenager, and I always liked how he could sound menacing and creepy and humorous all at the same time, and how the music really made the same impression. It wasn't just straightforward rock music. There was great satire and darkness in the songs that was and is completely different than what has come since. It was very punk rock in it's performance and attitude, but it wasn't trapped in the posturing nor political, and the musicianship was much more stellar. School's Out blew my mind when I heard it, and it's musical elements mixed in with the rock n' roll.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:06 am

His teeth.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:13 am

That he has been able to sell the same character for nearly 50 years. His ability to change and roll with the times and his ability to adapt and sell the same old schtick to new generations. A master salesman/businessman.

But, the thing I always loved most about Alice was the fact that he never took himself too seriously. Also I always loved his honesty as to why he got into it in the first place and that was to become filthy rich!

As I get older I have come to admire Alice as much for his business abilities as I have for his musical abilities.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:14 am

pitkin88 wrote:His teeth.
Didn't they almost lose a fight to a big sandwich in Pitsburgh?

bw301
Trash
Trash

Post by bw301 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:41 am

I gravitate towards musicians with unique sounds. For the most part, when an Alice Cooper song comes on, there's no question it's him.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:55 am

mr.barlow wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:His teeth.
Didn't they almost lose a fight to a big sandwich in Pitsburgh?

He was told to stick to the Megadeth Meatloaf.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Ahem. What I love about Alice Cooper:

1. The image. He is the quintessential rock star. The make up was revolutionary, but as an individual, Alice stands out. The "Cool" just revolves around him.
2. The name. ALICE COOPER. It's one of the coolest names in rock. It serves as a definition of an attitude, and as the description of a style.
3. The music. There is an Alice song for just about every occasion. Weddings? Yep. Funerals? Yep Yep. Dinner with your girl? Sure, why not? He rocks with the best, and he rolls with the finest.
4. The show. Each performance is a spectacle. I have never seen a dull review of an Alice Cooper concert.
5. The history. Such a legacy. It makes me proud to be a fan.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Dannorama wrote:3. The music. There is an Alice song for just about every occasion. Weddings? Yep. Funerals? Yep Yep. Dinner with your girl? Sure, why not? He rocks with the best, and he rolls with the finest.
I hope it's okay if I expand on the above. Dannorama, what do you (and others, if they want to chime in) consider to be good Alice Cooper songs for the occasions you mention? Here are mine:

Weddings - actually I need to think about this one.
Funerals - the song Killer.
Dinner with your girl - Be My Lover, Is It My Body.

Obviously I've gone with what I consider thematically proper songs over songs which are musically appropriate.

Ted

bw301
Trash
Trash

Post by bw301 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:33 am

Ted Sallis wrote:
Dannorama wrote:3. The music. There is an Alice song for just about every occasion. Weddings? Yep. Funerals? Yep Yep. Dinner with your girl? Sure, why not? He rocks with the best, and he rolls with the finest.
I hope it's okay if I expand on the above. Dannorama, what do you (and others, if they want to chime in) consider to be good Alice Cooper songs for the occasions you mention? Here are mine:

Obviously I've gone with what I consider thematically proper songs over songs which are musically appropriate.

Ted

Weddings: "You and Me", "Be With You Awhile"
Funerals: "Grand Finale", "Going Home"
Dinner: "You're My Temptation", "Adaptable(Anything For You)"

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:46 am

Ted Sallis wrote: I hope it's okay if I expand on the above. Dannorama, what do you (and others, if they want to chime in) consider to be good Alice Cooper songs for the occasions you mention? Here are mine:

Ted
bw301 said it - Be With You Awhile is a very swooshy love song. Your other picks are perfect.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Comus
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Comus » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:23 am

I originally discovered Alice mostly because of his name. I'd heard of this guy, liked the look and thought I'd check it out. I loved the stage show and the uniqueness.

What I have since grown to love about Alice is the sheer variety of musical styles. He's touched upon so many genres - and I would argue - successfully. I like the lyrics. He can be dark and sinister but light-hearted and funny at the same time. I really liked W2MN because it jumped around from style to style - and if Paranormal is similar in it's range of genres, I will be similarly happy.

I still would like to hear him to a jazz-influenced album, actually. Or something old-timey. Blue Turk, Crazy Little Child, Some Folks, Last Man on Earth - that kind of thing.
Is someone calling me?
...No
I think I hear a voice
It's outside the door!!

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:04 am

His tight glutes.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Drella
Trash
Trash

Post by Drella » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:16 pm

Alice Cooper changed my life when I was an impressionable teenager! I discovered Alice, Bowie (Ziggy Stardust era) and The Rocky Horror Picture show at the same time and they all warped my fragile mind! Alice fascinated me as I saw him as Jekyll and Hyde personified! As a child I grew up obsessed with Hammer Horror and Vincent Price movies and then I discovered "Welcome to my nightmare" and I've never been the same since!
I have formed life long friendships because of Alice, I have had long-term relationships because of a mutual love of Alice, I have introduced friends to Alice and taken them along to witness the undeniable excitement of his live shows. Alice Cooper's music has pretty much formed the soundtrack of my life. I am now middle aged and still feel like a pumped up teenager when I hear his music or see him live. I have always lived by the Rocky Horror mantra of "Don't Dream it be it!" and Alice is that dream, he is the showman in my nightmares, he is the greatest Rock Star of all time and life would be pretty dull without him!!! :alice: :alice: :alice:

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Now I would say the lyrics.

Initially, in early 1970s what appealed to me was that he was decadent looking and when he sang he really let his voice go like a free spirit- the free spirit bit was probably something I was trying to develop in myself as a teenager. Over the years I have liked his lyrics when sarcasm and social comment involved. As a teenager, I had a blue lit poster of him on stage above my bed and somehow my imagined connection with him kept me going forward in a world populated with wannabe hard men in the estate outside. Not many people I knew stuck with Alice solo where I lived but somehow I think I must have loved his image(s)and stuck with him even when the albums disappointed me. For me, Alice Cooper was the concept not the album or any story associated with it.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Voodoo Revolution
Killer
Killer

Post by Voodoo Revolution » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:26 pm

For me, pretty much everything that has been said in this thread thus far.

I also admire Alice as a person and consider him to be a great role model. He was able to kick addiction and help others in the process and continues to do so (Solid Rock).

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Comus wrote:I originally discovered Alice mostly because of his name. I'd heard of this guy, liked the look and thought I'd check it out. I loved the stage show and the uniqueness.

What I have since grown to love about Alice is the sheer variety of musical styles. He's touched upon so many genres - and I would argue - successfully. I like the lyrics. He can be dark and sinister but light-hearted and funny at the same time. I really liked W2MN because it jumped around from style to style - and if Paranormal is similar in it's range of genres, I will be similarly happy.

I still would like to hear him to a jazz-influenced album, actually. Or something old-timey. Blue Turk, Crazy Little Child, Some Folks, Last Man on Earth - that kind of thing.
Diana Diana kick your feet up.....

Totally agree

James1981
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by James1981 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:03 am

I think for me just the variety of it all. There's an Alice album for each of my moods, wheather it be 60s psychedelia, pure classic rock, 70s schmaltz, 80s cheese, heavy metal, ballads, anthems of necrophillia or dark and doomy stuff like brutal planet. It's all there, tied together by the common thread of one of the greatest lyricists of our times.
Boomshanka