PFY Levity Ball Question.

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

PFY Levity Ball Question.

Post by steven15322 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:02 pm

Anyone's thoughts on why the band used the live version of this song which sounds like crap? Was the studio version recorded at the time of recording the album?

I prefer the studio version. I got PFY on vinyl long before the life and Crimes boxset came out. When I first heard the studio version I couldnt believe it was passed over this live terrible sounding version. But now am wondering if the studio version was available.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Re: PFY Levity Ball Question.

Post by scotty » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:16 pm

I prefer the box set version too...I always thought if this is a live version,it must have been the night everyone went running out the door,because I hear no audience at all!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:22 pm

From Steven15322:
"Anyone's thoughts on why the band used the live version of this song which sounds like crap?"

According to Dennis Dunaway, they preferred it to the studio recording.

>Was the studio version recorded at the time of recording the album?

Yes.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:23 pm

From scotty:
"I always thought if this is a live version,it must have been the night everyone went running out the door,because I hear no audience at all!"

It was recorded during a rehearsal rather than during a concert.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:36 am

I actually prefer the live album cut but the studio version was a great inclusion for the box.

Funny, upon hearing the bleed through on Levity Ball, I wondered if it was a jukebox playing that night at the Cheetah. Having read the stories about how the band was hated, I imagined the regular customers at The Cheetah had dropped a dime in the jukebox to drown out the band. Anyway great cut and an obvious nod to Syd's Floyd :8):

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:39 am

It has been pointed out to me that my statement that "It was recorded during a rehearsal rather than during a concert." was incorrect and that the live version is actually the same recording which appears on the "Live At The Whisky-A-Go-Go 1969" (the recording of which I think actually happened in 1968) and if that's the case (and I haven't compared them), I don't mind being wrong but my information was based on this quote from Dennis Dunaway: "Even though "Levity Ball" sounds very similar, the "Pretties For You" version was recorded during a rehearsal at the Cheetah in Venice Beach - you can hear the Watusi chanting during the quiet section."

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:40 pm

LB on the Whiskey recording is definitely not the same version on PFY. I've A/B's the two, and the guitar phrasing and singing do not match

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:LB on the Whiskey recording is definitely not the same version on PFY. I've A/B's the two, and the guitar phrasing and singing do not match
I'm pleased if that's the case, as I have both PFY and Live at The Whisk on CD and therefore wouldn't want to have the exact same recording of LB on both.

Ted

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:45 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:LB on the Whiskey recording is definitely not the same version on PFY. I've A/B's the two, and the guitar phrasing and singing do not match
Hmm.. I thought this had been done some years back confirming they were the same. I was going from memory thought, and would never claim that to be particularly reliable.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:20 am

Si wrote:
Hmm.. I thought this had been done some years back confirming they were the same. I was going from memory thought, and would never claim that to be particularly reliable.
They are not the same. I A/B'd them a couple of years ago and I'll do it again today but I'll bet my hat I'm correct!
If the rest of you guys confirm that they are the same all I can say is that Toronto Bob and I are the lucky owners of the rarest copies of PFY out there!

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:10 am

Just listened to both versions, most definitely not the same even if you account for track not being included the vocal is different

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:22 am

And so is the lead guitar