Paranormal Personality - the first single

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Paranormal Personality - the first single

Post by guttertrash » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:18 am

pitkin88 wrote:To be honest the drumming can't be blamed for making this a bad song. That would really be a stretch. If it wasn't known to be Larry Mullen I doubt there would be much said at all.

Someone mentioned Living Colour's Cult Of Personality earlier and there is a lot of similarity in the sound and chorus.

I have listened to the song about six times now. The intro is excellent and eerie and I wish they had worked more with that than the dum dum dum plod. It's ok and nothing more. I'd really like to see Alice challenged by Ezrin and Ezrin challenged by Alice. There seems to be too much mutual respect and back slapping going on. It would be nice if they took some chances and let the insanity out a bit. Alice certainly doesnt sound paranoid or out of his mind here and I think that is what is lacking. It is also a bit sterile sounding.

I'm not an expert on auto tune but some people are saying it sounds like this or something else has been applied to Alice's voice. Anyone?
Stiff, plodding drumming is more or less the status quo today in mainstream rock especially with the rise of Tommy Lee (and he was on the better end of it) and the rest of the L.A. scene. Whoever played on most of the W2MN stuff sounds exactly the same as on the new single. The sterile sound is sadly just to be expected in the digital age without some time being taken to work in a semi-analog mode. Most bands in the scene that I am a part of record basic tracks live in analog and then transfer that to digital for overdubs of lead and vocal parts. The rhythm section and at least one guitar for most of us is always live, so that you get the warmth and bleed that you can only get from the live playing and analog tape. There are plug ins that can be used on digital recording equipment, but the producers around here tend to prefer 2" tape if they are going to record analog at all.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:49 am

LoveItToDeath82 wrote:I don't completely agree with guttertrash, but why does it seem to bother some people so much? People can just scroll on past his comments or ignore him or just not retaliate. It honestly seems like he is reiterating his views satirically in the same redundant fashion as those he is calling out.
8 posts in and you're telling us all how to behave. :/

Stick around a while and you'll see why it's tiresome.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:50 am

While Heaven Wept wrote:Repeatedly stating your dissatisfaction with something is trolling and i'm frankly sick of it.
There's certain a limit to it. Unfortunately, some people have no governor.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:57 am

patrick wrote:it could be the way he's singing it, hard to define though..
Yea, he's using the same clean singing style he's used on a couple of songs post-2000.

JoeyBananagoose
Trash
Trash

Post by JoeyBananagoose » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:03 am

I don't hear any pitch correction going on, which is what most people mistake for auto-tune these days.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:41 pm

JoeyBananagoose wrote:I don't hear any pitch correction going on, which is what most people mistake for auto-tune these days.
I'm sure there is pitch correction used.... but when used well it shouldn't be noticeable anyway.

Suspiria
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Suspiria » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:03 pm

Read someone describe the new single as "very unmemorable" and sadly, I have to agree. Nothing standout about it, is decent but incredibly generic and unexciting. Hoping for much better elsewhere on the forthcoming album (which I will still buy despite not being especially impressed with this debut track). Surprised that some people apparently seem to be loving 'Paranoiac Personality' but hey, different strokes for different folks.
Neil Harrison.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Suspiria wrote:Read someone describe the new single as "very unmemorable" and sadly, I have to agree. Nothing standout about it, is decent but incredibly generic and unexciting. Hoping for much better elsewhere on the forthcoming album (which I will still buy despite not being especially impressed with this debut track). Surprised that some people apparently seem to be loving 'Paranoiac Personality' but hey, different strokes for different folks.
As has been said many times here, to each his own. I find the song to be very memorable and I find enjoyable each time. There are lots of fun parts that make it memorable for me - the changes keep me glued to the core of the song. Then, on top of that you have those entertaining lyrics, some cool effects, and other dashes of interest. You may not have the same tastes as me, so there you go. In my opinion, this song rocks, and it's making me eager for what comes next. I am sold all the way. Also - hats off to Larry!
Danno has spoken.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:35 am

There's is a very short section where there is violin 'slashing' ala 'psycho'. I think if the riffs had been more 'bluesy' and the psycho feel expanded then this could have worked better instead of the, as someone described, twiddly widdly guitar playing.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Thought it sounded alright...nothing exceptional, but still worth giving a listen.
"I need everything the world owes me..."

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:59 pm

This single has lifted my hopes that this could be one of Alice's most significant albums in years.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:05 pm

I've now listened to it a dozen times and it's really grown on me, I think it's quite intelligent and quirkily delivered.

Comparing it to I'll Bite Your Face Off, I'd say this definitely has the edge.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

firstmanonmars
Trash
Trash

Post by firstmanonmars » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:22 pm

I liked it the first time. Now I love it. This is way better in many ways than any single from W2MN, which is a good Cooper album. In fact i like the non concept approach and the "sideshow" comments surrounding Paranormal. I think (and hope) that this will be a Cooper album for the books. Despite the cover of course. But I do like the background "snippets" in the "video". A real video would be nice!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:34 pm

darkmenace wrote:This single has lifted my hopes that this could be one of Alice's most significant albums in years.

Certainly not if the rest of the album is like this. It is just an ok song. You wait six years to record an album the first released song should have significant impact. This doesn't. As a barometer for what is to come it's not that encouraging.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:10 pm

tuneylune wrote:Thought it sounded alright...nothing exceptional, but still worth giving a listen.
If I can get a download of both the A + B sides of the 7" - I'll take both but so far, only Paranormal Personality is available on iTunes. :(
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
tuneylune wrote:Thought it sounded alright...nothing exceptional, but still worth giving a listen.
If I can get a download of both the A + B sides of the 7" - I'll take both but so far, only Paranormal Personality is available on iTunes. :(
That's odd, the B Side is downloadable to me (in the U.K.).

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:00 pm

It's Horror-endous...

Here's to hoping the rest of the record can be salvaged...

The album's picture could be the worst cover ever.

Extremely lazy, poorly "designed" and hints/reeks at what's inside...

Maybe Alice should have given a nod to his Hollywood Vampire drinking club and called the record "Har-binger"

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:37 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
Daggers & Contracts wrote:
That's odd, the B Side is downloadable to me (in the U.K.).
Even stranger, when I checked the other day the album was there with just the A side of single available. Now, I can't find the album but both sides of single are there for the U.S. Thanks for giving me the impetus to re-check. Got 'em now! :rock:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Excellent :8):

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God