Paranormal Personality - the first single

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Re: Paranormal Personality - the first single

Post by Spiner202 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Definitely a cool song but very different from what I was expecting. For some reason I thought he'd be going heavier (not even Brutal Planet/late 80s heavy, but at least some of the heavier tracks on ACAS), but this feels much more modern/clean. The verse definitely has a huge Enough's Enough vibe, which isn't one of my favourite Alice tunes but I still enjoyed this. I'd be happy if the album is in this vein, but it probably won't be up there with my favourite Alice albums.

Curious to see how the whole record turns out in either case.

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:05 am

Spiner202 wrote:Definitely a cool song but very different from what I was expecting. For some reason I thought he'd be going heavier (not even Brutal Planet/late 80s heavy, but at least some of the heavier tracks on ACAS), but this feels much more modern/clean. The verse definitely has a huge Enough's Enough vibe, which isn't one of my favourite Alice tunes but I still enjoyed this. I'd be happy if the album is in this vein, but it probably won't be up there with my favourite Alice albums.

I've heard from someone on Alice's Facebook page that Met him at a meet and greet at his shows and Alice played him most of the album and even sang to some of the lyrics. An he told me when I asked him about it, he said it's heavier than usual, heavy as in heavy rock guitars and it's classic Alice style and says it's a great album from what he's heard. Does that make you feel alot better about the album now??

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:12 am

AliceFan wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:Definitely a cool song but very different from what I was expecting. For some reason I thought he'd be going heavier (not even Brutal Planet/late 80s heavy, but at least some of the heavier tracks on ACAS), but this feels much more modern/clean. The verse definitely has a huge Enough's Enough vibe, which isn't one of my favourite Alice tunes but I still enjoyed this. I'd be happy if the album is in this vein, but it probably won't be up there with my favourite Alice albums.

I've heard from someone on Alice's Facebook page that Met him at a meet and greet at his shows and Alice played him most of the album and even sang to some of the lyrics. An he told me when I asked him about it, he said it's heavier than usual, heavy as in heavy rock guitars and it's classic Alice style and says it's a great album from what he's heard. Does that make you feel alot better about the album now??
Wonder how he compares the lead single with the rest of the songs when he mentions the album being "heavy rock guitars and classic alice"

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:17 am

AliceFan wrote:

Oh I'm going to love the album no matter what. But I come from a metal background. Alice is pretty much the only non-metal artist I listen to, so I'm always in favour of him returning to a Raise Your Fist and Yell sound, even if I know it's not realistic.

JoeyBananagoose
Trash
Trash

Post by JoeyBananagoose » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:22 am

I like it. It doesn't blow me away, but it's good. Reminiscent of Go To Hell to my ears. Tempted me enough to pre-order the vinyl at least.

JoeyBananagoose
Trash
Trash

Post by JoeyBananagoose » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:24 am

It's now available on Spotify. The intro and production is better than the radio versions let on. It also has 18 live in Dallas as a B-side.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:33 am

The full song with the intro is much better.
Last edited by Somwhere In Auckland on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:34 am

Spiner202 wrote:
AliceFan wrote:

Oh I'm going to love the album no matter what. But I come from a metal background. Alice is pretty much the only non-metal artist I listen to, so I'm always in favour of him returning to a Raise Your Fist and Yell sound, even if I know it's not realistic.
Same re the metal backround and Alice being the only non-metal artist I listen too, but i'm always skeptical when a rock fan says the guitars are HEAVY :laugh:

AliceFan
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by AliceFan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:41 am

Why are you skeptical about the guitars being heavy on the album? ?

JoeyBananagoose
Trash
Trash

Post by JoeyBananagoose » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:47 am

I read it as 'what your general rock fan considers heavy guitar is not heavy compared to what your average metal fan is used to'.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:52 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
GailsFriend wrote:Really....let's let the whole "original band" concept go.....because that ship has sailed. Alice has moved on and performed with some admirable musicians since 1975....over 40 years ago.

Robert Plant has moved on from Led Zeppelin
Paul McCartney has moved on from The Beatles
Ozzy has moved on from Black Sabbath
and don't get me started on KISS....
Peter Gabriel has moved on from Genesis
Tina Turner left Ike in the dust......a long time ago

If you don't like the new music....just stop bitching and go away....because other people are just moving on and enjoying the ride and the new creativity. This argument is so....so....tired.
Who in the world are you talking to?

Alice actually worked with the original band on this album (and the last) and did some live shows with them, so it sounds to me like you're somewhat confused.

You saved me from saying it.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:56 am

It's ok. The sound does harken back to GTH as someone mentioned. It doesn't sound like a single to me.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:00 am

pitkin88 wrote:It doesn't sound like a single to me.
I kinda agree, but maybe there isn`t anything that fits as a single better on the album? Maybe all the rest is classic Alice with 7-8 minute songs like My Stars, Juju etc....

Hey, I can dream!

JoeyBananagoose
Trash
Trash

Post by JoeyBananagoose » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:39 am

The last Alice single that actually sounded like a single was Novocaine and there was no push made behind it at all. I guess this is it at least very recognizably Alice.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:02 am

JoeyBananagoose wrote:The last Alice single that actually sounded like a single was Novocaine and there was no push made behind it at all. I guess this is it at least very recognizably Alice.

That was a great song and smart not dumbed down Alice too.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:29 am

Wow, One song, a playlist & one month to go...
Whatever are we going to talk about?
Hang on every word & song during NWAC? Oh, Joy!
Just release it & start dissecting the album itself instead of a song here & a soundbite/teaser there
Will buy it anyway, bring it on!!! :rock:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Model Citizen
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Model Citizen » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:58 am

I love it. When I heard the intro, not gonna lie, I was really hoping for that laid back Floydian groove to run a bit. I was expecting a deep Alice vocal like Desperado or I'm The Coolest but overall I really dig it. It sounds fresh, Alice sounds rock solid and the production is fantastic, as expected. I'm excited about what's next.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:24 pm

The song doesn't really do anything for me. I don't care for Alice's vocals on this one.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

homerx
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by homerx » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Looks like it will be out on a 7" vinyl as well. Wonder what the bside will be.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:51 pm

I laid down my $1.29 and bought the song today. It's 6:50am....and I couldn't be happier. Alice Cooper rules.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"