ACG Nashville reunion

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: ACG Nashville reunion

Post by darkmenace » Sun May 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Alice is a performer that feels he needs to be doing something with his hands or literally to be "doing something" not just singing. Note how he always holds a crutch for 18 even though the song is so great it doesn't need any props. So when he came onstage without makeup or costume with MM in front of MM audience to sing a song he didn't know that well he got nervous and wasn't sure what to do so he put his hands in his pockets.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed May 31, 2017 3:53 am

Here's a crazy comment someone posted at another site that'll have steam coming out of some people's ears.

Lets hope they do this right and tour it a bit!!!

Not gonna happen, and the reason issss . . .

Shep Gordon.

If you saw the great recent documentary Super Duper Alice Cooper, you learned that in the early 80s, after relapsing from his In the Inside rehab for alcoholism, AC became a raving cocaine/ freebase addict (look at any Flush the Fashion-era pics and you'll see he's rail thin, even for Alice Cooper). Long story short, Shep (and Sheryl) saved him from his cocaine addiction . . . literally saved his life. Well, apparently Alice Cooper's life indeed *does* have a price tag (congrats if you got *that* reference): instead of getting his usual manager fee, maybe 15 or 20 percent (not sure of Shep's exact vig), Mr. Gordon now takes a whopping *50 percent* of what Alice makes.

The original ACG guys plus GB's estate split their royalties for their original ACG work and such equally — 20 percent to each band member, and AC even pays the other four guys a yearly license to use the name "Alice Cooper" professionally. If the original ACG were to tour now, they would still split things equally. But since Shep doesn't manage the rest of the guys, he would get 50 percent of the 20 percent Alice the person would get instead of 50 percent of the 100 percent Alice the person gets with his current bands (the folks in Alice's band now are salaried employees).

So the reason there will be no widescale ACG tour is because Shep Gordon won't make enough money off it. Thanks, Supermensch!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:39 am

Is Andy Michael out of bed yet?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed May 31, 2017 9:51 am

From Toronto Bob:
"Here's a crazy comment someone posted at another site that'll have steam coming out of some people's ears."

Does this person state how he or she knows what the financial arrangements of the individuals concerned are?

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed May 31, 2017 11:00 am

I'm going to guess this is an assumption based on the typical band arrangement. This definitely could be the situation, but I doubt anybody has concrete evidence except for those in the inner circle. So while it makes sense and is probably a fairly accurate assumption, I don't think it would be a rumor worth spreading without full knowledge.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed May 31, 2017 11:14 am

From guttertrash:
"So while it makes sense and is probably a fairly accurate assumption,"

I don't think the assertion that because Alice was saved from death it meant that "Mr. Gordon now takes a whopping *50 percent* of what Alice makes." can be described as "a fairly accurate assumption".

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed May 31, 2017 11:29 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:From guttertrash:

I don't think the assertion that because Alice was saved from death it meant that "Mr. Gordon now takes a whopping *50 percent* of what Alice makes." can be described as "a fairly accurate assumption".
Thanks for correcting me on that. I do agree that 50% is inaccurate, but my comment was meaning to say that it is a fair assumption that since the original members would probably be looking for an equal split that Shep would not be happy with only getting part of Alice's 20% or so since he is getting a percentage of a much larger cut from Alice solo. I still do not think it is fair to assume that this is the major reason for lack of a reunion without any real knowledge.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed May 31, 2017 11:56 am

I think the quote is massive speculation and I don't think that is the reason an ACG reunion hasn't taken place. Would be a terrible let down if there is any truth in it.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed May 31, 2017 11:58 am

guttertrash wrote:
A_MichaelUK wrote:From guttertrash:

Thanks for correcting me on that. I do agree that 50% is inaccurate, but my comment was meaning to say that it is a fair assumption that since the original members would probably be looking for an equal split that Shep would not be happy with only getting part of Alice's 20% or so since he is getting a percentage of a much larger cut from Alice solo. I still do not think it is fair to assume that this is the major reason for lack of a reunion without any real knowledge.
I have no inside knowledge, but I would have thought (or would like to think) that rather then the band making any specific demands, that Shep and Alice would just assume that equal shares WOULD be the case if the show was a full Alice Cooper Band show, Five way split, and because of that the numbers don`t add up.
I think you may be doing Shep and Alice a disservice in suggesting they would go to the band with a "hired hand" contract under the circumstances, unless such was suggested by the band themselves. I think they (Shep/Alice) have more respect for DD, MB and NS then that.
But as I say, that is what I would like to believe. Reality could be very different. In the end such details are between those involved and not us.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed May 31, 2017 12:34 pm

The thing people have to keep in mind is that Shep and Alice's business relationship is not that of the normal client and manager. Putting the personal friendship aspect aside, Alice and Shep are business partners. It is Alice and Shep (or their business interests/companies) that are the basic financing for all things Alice. I believe this has been the case starting with the MCA years and then again after the Epic contract ended.

We will use The Nightmare Returns Tour as an example. That was financed by Alice and Shep. I believe Alice used whatever he personally had left after his professional and personal decline and with Shep picking up the rest. I'm sure their were a few other outside investors but the bulk of it was Alice and Shep.

That is why that tour was the pivitol point of Alice's career and why that was the true comeback--not Trash. Alice and Shep laid all on the line. If it was a failure it would have been a swift end to Alice and Shep would have lost millions of dollars and his reputation would have taken one hell of a hit.

Then it was basically every tour since then that was produced and financed by them. Also, I believe every recording starting with Brutal Planet was also financed by them. This is the reason why Alice has become an extremely rich man over the course of those years, even though the albums were not huge hits and the tours were playing to smaller houses---the profits were ALL his--and also Shep's. They got 100% of the profits with no money to pay back to a label, investors, etc.

Let's just say the 50/50 spilt is true. I would think it would be more of a case of splitting the profits 50/50 as there was an equal investment on any given tour, album or business venture. So if Alice and Shep equally finance a tour it would only be fair to spilt the take 50/50. Alice earns his cut performing and Shep earns his cut doing the promotion, etc. BUT--they both have money in the game and both equally share in the risk of losing a lot of money.

I would think that the best way to get a full-blown tour of the original band would be to have each member take an equal share of risk by investing an equal amount into the financing of the tour along with Shep and Alice. They then could spilt whatever profits are gained or share in the losses if the tour was a failure.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed May 31, 2017 5:44 pm

mr.barlow wrote: Let's just say the 50/50 spilt is true. I would think it would be more of a case of splitting the profits 50/50 as there was an equal investment on any given tour, album or business venture. So if Alice and Shep equally finance a tour it would only be fair to spilt the take 50/50. Alice earns his cut performing and Shep earns his cut doing the promotion, etc. BUT--they both have money in the game and both equally share in the risk of losing a lot of money.
It seems to me that Ezrin might now be a partner.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed May 31, 2017 6:30 pm

From guttertrash:
"I do agree that 50% is inaccurate, but my comment was meaning to say that it is a fair assumption that since the original members would probably be looking for an equal split that Shep would not be happy with only getting part of Alice's 20% or so since he is getting a percentage of a much larger cut from Alice solo.

No, that wasn't what I was referring to. Read the original words that were used. It wasn't even an implication but a statement that because Alice was rescued "from his cocaine addiction", he had to give up that particular amount of his earnings which is insulting to everyone involved.
Last edited by A_MichaelUK on Wed May 31, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed May 31, 2017 6:32 pm

From Toronto Bob:
"I think the quote is massive speculation and I don't think that is the reason an ACG reunion hasn't taken place. Would be a terrible let down if there is any truth in it."

You got it right first time because as you stated, it was a "crazy comment.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed May 31, 2017 6:35 pm

From mr.barlow:
"Let's just say the 50/50 spilt is true."

I can't and won't go into details, but everything I've heard shows that it is not.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed May 31, 2017 9:20 pm

Gotcha, Andy. I did not make the original statement, and I was only commenting on the split between the band and how it would effect Shep's pay making sense. This is why I assumed you were correcting me.

To me, it makes sense that Shep would not be happy with taking a cut of a mere 20% split when Alice as a solo member gets a much heftier share. This was the only thing that I was personally referring to out of the statement. I do not know how much or care to know how much the split is between Shep and Alice. Most reunion tours have been put together, because it catapults ticket sales, or because the band had been away so long, that there was a ton of money on the table for the reunion. Neither of these situations fit this conversation, so yes, it makes sense that Shep would not advise Alice to reunite with the ACG when they would have a much larger payday with the current situation.

I would love to see the ACG play some full-fledged shows, and by full-fledged, I would be just fine with traveling a decent distance for as little as a 12 song set. I think if Shep and Alice thought it would be a payday on the scale of the Hollywood Vampires, they would be willing to fit shows in from time to time on short little jaunts, but until we see or hear news of such, we can only assume there is not a large enough outpouring for them to feel that such a tour is worthwhile for either of them. If they can reap something from the current situation, why take a chance of losing money on something that they may not see or hear enough buzz about? I don't see this as disrespect to the original members. It's just the nature of the business.

LoveItToDeath82
Trash
Trash

Post by LoveItToDeath82 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:45 pm

I would be happy to see it happen, but I feel like the logistics for an ACG tour would be a nightmare. I think this would have happened already if there was a promoter willing to put up money to make it happen, so without that, you have to assume that any possible tour would come out of pocket. Very few fans would be happy with a show that does not have theatrics involved, so you'd have to have a crew on the same level as Alice has now, and it would be unfair for Alice and Shep to front all the money if the band were to split everything evenly. So could it be possible that (an)other member(s) is not open to taking the time or possibly not willing to take the chance with their money? They all have their own daily lives, so I'm sure it is not a simple situation for somebody who hasn't been on such a tour to arrange, fund and go on the road for a month or two with no guarantee of a reward from it.
"I say I'm right, but I know I'm wrong"

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:50 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From mr.barlow:
"Let's just say the 50/50 spilt is true."

I can't and won't go into details, but everything I've heard shows that it is not.

That could be just heresay too.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:02 pm

LoveItToDeath82 wrote:I would be happy to see it happen, but I feel like the logistics for an ACG tour would be a nightmare. I think this would have happened already if there was a promoter willing to put up money to make it happen, so without that, you have to assume that any possible tour would come out of pocket. Very few fans would be happy with a show that does not have theatrics involved, so you'd have to have a crew on the same level as Alice has now, and it would be unfair for Alice and Shep to front all the money if the band were to split everything evenly. So could it be possible that (an)other member(s) is not open to taking the time or possibly not willing to take the chance with their money? They all have their own daily lives, so I'm sure it is not a simple situation for somebody who hasn't been on such a tour to arrange, fund and go on the road for a month or two with no guarantee of a reward from it.

Jesus. He could use the same crew and they could do theatrics. How hard is that? At the very worst the attendance would be the same as his regular tours. Shep and Alice took the goddamn brand and ran with it so don't talk to me about fair. The band could have shut them down and halted everything if they had wanted to after split.

LoveItToDeath82
Trash
Trash

Post by LoveItToDeath82 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:50 am

I'm not saying any of this is real. The purpose of my last post was because people are speculating that a reunion hasn't happened because of Shep and Alice, but I was just pointing out that the reason could possibly be due to one of the other members also.
"I say I'm right, but I know I'm wrong"

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:03 am

pitkin88 wrote:
LoveItToDeath82 wrote:I would be happy to see it happen, but I feel like the logistics for an ACG tour would be a nightmare. I think this would have happened already if there was a promoter willing to put up money to make it happen, so without that, you have to assume that any possible tour would come out of pocket. Very few fans would be happy with a show that does not have theatrics involved, so you'd have to have a crew on the same level as Alice has now, and it would be unfair for Alice and Shep to front all the money if the band were to split everything evenly. So could it be possible that (an)other member(s) is not open to taking the time or possibly not willing to take the chance with their money? They all have their own daily lives, so I'm sure it is not a simple situation for somebody who hasn't been on such a tour to arrange, fund and go on the road for a month or two with no guarantee of a reward from it.

Jesus. He could use the same crew and they could do theatrics. How hard is that? At the very worst the attendance would be the same as his regular tours. Shep and Alice took the goddamn brand and ran with it so don't talk to me about fair. The band could have shut them down and halted everything if they had wanted to after split.
And halt income for an "Out Of Work" musician?
However low (or High) the percentage was when it did arrive. To shut A.C. & Shep "down" would have taken top notch lawyers who don't work cheap. Pro Bono anyone? :teach: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...