Ultimate ACG Reunion album: Battle Axe - ReCooperated

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Ultimate ACG Reunion album: Battle Axe - ReCooperated

Post by Ted Sallis » Tue May 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Since we just had a new thread started hypothesizing about how popular an ACG Reunion Tour might be if it ever materialized, how about THIS idea:

Re-record the Battle Axe album with Alice on vocals and either Mick Mashbir or Ingo on lead guitar. Here is how a possible re-release could shape up:

CD 1: Battle Axe (original 1977 release)
CD 2: Battle Axe (brand new recording of entire album with Alice on lead vocals)
CD 3: Demos/outtakes (from 1976-'77), most of which appeared on CD 2 of the not quite official 'Complete Battle Axe' UK 3 CD release in 2001. Two additional tracks could be added: High Heels Hollywood and Only One Will Walk Away (instrumental).

- Any ideas for additional material to added, i.e. the bootleg quality live 3rd CD of Complete Battle Axe?
- Any other suggestions for a lead guitarist to play on the re-recorded album?

Ted

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Ultimate ACG Reunion album: Battle Axe - ReCooperated

Post by Ted Sallis » Tue May 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Ted Sallis wrote:Since we just had a new thread started hypothesizing about how popular an ACG Reunion Tour with a different singer might be, how about THIS idea:

Re-record the Battle Axe album with Alice on vocals and either Mick Mashbir or Ingo on lead guitar. Here is how a possible re-release could shape up:

CD 1: Battle Axe (original 1977 release)
CD 2: Battle Axe (brand new recording of entire album with Alice on lead vocals)
CD 3: Demos/outtakes (from 1976-'77), most of which appeared on CD 2 of the not quite official 'Complete Battle Axe' UK 3 CD release in 2001. Two additional tracks could be added: High Heels Hollywood and Only One Will Walk Away (instrumental).

- Any ideas for additional material to added, i.e. the bootleg quality live 3rd CD of Complete Battle Axe?
- Any other suggestions for a lead guitarist to play on the re-recorded album?

Ted
I can't seem to edit my original post and needed to alter the top sentence.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Wed May 03, 2017 6:14 am

CD 4 could be Lace and Whisky with only the original band backing Alice

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed May 03, 2017 8:16 am

I would have Alice and Michael re-write the lyrics and possibly even go for a new concept, and the band could rework some songs arrangements or scrap some of the lower end filler for some newly written songs or two or three re-writes of MB, DD, and NS songs as done with W2MN. I would have to go with Roxie on the second guitar. To me, he has the tone and style that fits the ACG material perfectly. He has built an arsenal of guitars and gear for that specific job.

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Wed May 03, 2017 8:54 am

For me a new project from the scratch would be far more interesting...

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Wed May 03, 2017 9:49 am

Mr. Skull wrote:For me a new project from the scratch would be far more interesting...
Menschen too. Sonething very new, no sequels and no rewrited old rarities.
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

JoeyBananagoose
Trash
Trash

Post by JoeyBananagoose » Wed May 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Yeah, I don't really have any interest in the Battle Axe material. Doesn't particularly seem worth revisiting. Out of the few people who even knew about the project, most were ambivalent to the material the first time around.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Wed May 03, 2017 11:17 pm

Pitta wrote:
Mr. Skull wrote:For me a new project from the scratch would be far more interesting...
For me too. Something very new, no sequels and no rewrited old rarities.
Sorry my phone corrected my text :x
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:54 am

I like Battle Axe a lot but there is little you can add to it. Maybe Neals original version of Rock N Radio. A version of that song with Alice on vocals would be great.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Thu May 04, 2017 3:25 am

Babysquid wrote:CD 4 could be Lace and Whisky with only the original band backing Alice
I like how the Battle Axe versus Lace and Whiskey debate in another thread has now distinctly manifested itself into this one.

For the record, I'd much prefer a new live recording of Battle Axe songs performed by the ACG for CD 4.

Ted

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu May 04, 2017 3:58 pm

I see no point in re-visting lackluster material.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Fri May 05, 2017 2:16 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:I see no point in re-visting lackluster material.
I agree, hence I would not include much from L&W, but emphasize the Battle Axe material.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon May 08, 2017 5:57 pm

ThePainAddict wrote: I agree, hence I would not include much from L&W, but emphasize the Battle Axe material.
As lackluster as L&W is, the Battle Axe is album is really really bad. The songs just aren't there, sadly.

So not sure what you're thinking unless you feel Alice could somehow magically elevate the Battle Axe material to quality stuff. I think that's probably beyond even his powers.

Regardless, music is written in times and places... those songs are 40 years old now and there's no point trying to resuscitate them.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Mon May 08, 2017 7:11 pm

listening to battle axe right now.... Not bad , but this one wouldn't have got me into AC the way BDB (my first AC lp) did..
Hard to imagine this would have been the final ACG album..
did it have any singles at the time ? (I miss you would have been my choice)
you really wouldn't understand..

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Tue May 09, 2017 3:28 am

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
ThePainAddict wrote: I agree, hence I would not include much from L&W, but emphasize the Battle Axe material.
As lackluster as L&W is, the Battle Axe is album is really really bad. The songs just aren't there, sadly.

So not sure what you're thinking unless you feel Alice could somehow magically elevate the Battle Axe material to quality stuff. I think that's probably beyond even his powers.

Regardless, music is written in times and places... those songs are 40 years old now and there's no point trying to resuscitate them.
We are hearing different records. I listen to Battle Axe and I hear so much of the Alice Cooper group sound, minus Ezrin. While Bob is great I also prefer MoL over WtMN for the same reason. In fact, I'll take EA over several of Alice's solo endeavors. I guess if I had to choose between ACG without Ezrin vs solo Alice with Ezrin, I'd take the group. Although I'd obviously prefer the whole package.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm Pain
Killer
Killer

Post by I'm Pain » Sun May 14, 2017 4:19 am

I think many fans are respectful of Battle Axe, but it's a challenging listen because of the piss poor production. There's potential there that wasn't properly fleshed out. Rerecording a few of those tracks would be worth it.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun May 14, 2017 1:38 pm

Mark me down as one of those not particularly interested in Battle Axe re-releases/re-recordings/revisitations. I didn't even hear about this album until about 1980/81, possibly the height of my Alice Cooper fandom. When I finally got a copy I guess I was expecting basically an Alice Cooper record minus AC's voice. What I heard was pop rock songs with no character - ordinary music. Title track was decent but not a lot to get excited about.