New album update

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

New album update

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Tue May 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Ultimate Classic Rock has a nice article about the new album. Sorry I couldn't get the link to work.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Re: New album update

Post by concolz » Tue May 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Tue May 09, 2017 8:38 pm

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue May 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Two song titles revealed then: I've Fallen In Love & I Can't Get Up plus I Wanna Be A Genuine American Girl.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Tue May 09, 2017 9:30 pm

Well, with that news, I am guessing this will not feature the touring band unless they brought Mullen in because Glen was too busy. I was really hoping this one was going to feature his band. I really like the roll out for the album, and I am curious to hear it, but I think I will be standing by my words after the last two albums and not preorder this one unless they release a track that is just massively interesting to me.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue May 09, 2017 11:55 pm

I don't get the Mullen Jr thing when you have Glen Sobel and The Platinum God Neal Smith a phone call away.

Mullen is a good drummer and his playing on U2 records is often good and he has a "sound" that fits U2 perfectly.

I just fail to see where he belongs and what he brings to an Alice Cooper record.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed May 10, 2017 1:11 am

concolz wrote:Two song titles revealed then: I've Fallen In Love & I Can't Get Up plus I Wanna Be A Genuine American Girl.

Sadly this not very encouraging. More comedy stylings.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed May 10, 2017 2:14 am

ugh....that is all.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed May 10, 2017 7:55 am

I'm getting really excited now, the roll out is superb! I have a feeling the Mullen will only be on one or two tracks. There was a curious statement about 'the basic track' for his drumming!

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Wed May 10, 2017 8:08 am

Hey, its a new album, he is changing a few things, nobody said the band isn't on the album at all and he clearly says he is making this for the fans. All cool in my view and certainly better than no album at all. The days of exciting anticipation are long gone but I'm still getting a tingle of interest and still several weeks away from release too.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed May 10, 2017 1:02 pm

The quote actually says "basic tracks," and Alice goes on about how his stylemof drumming creates a whole different kind of album. Maybe it will be fine, but his drumming is boring as hell to me, so that alone is leaving me with little hope. The silly song titles leave me wishing Alice would go back to when he had dark, biting lyrics with some humor thrown in at times and not the silly, cartoonish, scooby doo horror self-parody of himself that he has become. Ezrin doesn't seem to be much help either. When Under The Bed is left on the chopping block as a bonus track, the producer is not being the assertive force he should be or doesn't have an ear for what is good and not good, because that album at one point was going in a direction that could have been good. Somewhere it became a joke, and I feel like Ezrin has a lot to do with that. Glad the album was sonically listenable compared to ACAS (anything would be), but the rest of the purpose of a producer was left by the wayside on W2MN (and the HV album). At some point, it's time to leave behind making new music. Slayer, Metallica, Aerosmith, Marilyn Manson, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, and a ton of other bands all should have years ago. Sadly none of them have realized it, and they turn out music that is lame. Alice has done quite well considering his age, but it may just be time to look back and be proud of what has been accomplished.

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Wed May 10, 2017 1:22 pm

del wrote:Hey, its a new album, he is changing a few things, nobody said the band isn't on the album at all and he clearly says he is making this for the fans. All cool in my view and certainly better than no album at all. The days of exciting anticipation are long gone but I'm still getting a tingle of interest and still several weeks away from release too.
Bingo.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed May 10, 2017 1:56 pm

guttertrash wrote:The silly song titles leave me wishing Alice would go back to when he had dark, biting lyrics with some humor thrown in at times and not the silly, cartoonish, scooby doo horror self-parody of himself that he has become. Ezrin doesn't seem to be much help either. When Under The Bed is left on the chopping block as a bonus track, the producer is not being the assertive force he should be or doesn't have an ear for what is good and not good, because that album at one point was going in a direction that could have been good. Somewhere it became a joke, and I feel like Ezrin has a lot to do with that.
The silly song titles don't get me excited, whatsoever. When did they decide this was a comedy act?

Alice has always had a bit of humor mixed in, but he didn't always hit you over the head with it except when you look at the 76-77 era where the comedy got downright silly musically and theatrically (dancing chickens anyone?). Is it just a coincidence that Ezrin was the producer during that era too?

I was excited when it was announced that Ezrin was back in the producer's chair, but I'm starting to wonder if he's lost his mojo. Instead of 71-73 Ezrin, it seems we're getting 76-77 Ezrin.

Oh well, I don't want to jump to conclusions here, but when the first two songs announced are stuff like this, it makes you wonder.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:27 pm

dadascot wrote:I'm getting really excited now, the roll out is superb! I have a feeling the Mullen will only be on one or two tracks. There was a curious statement about 'the basic track' for his drumming!

I think it was until we got these two stupid Weird Al Coopervitch song titles. This is so far removed from the promos that it makes no sense.

The Mullen thing confused me too. Maybe his crap drumming is meant to unsettle us like that horrible rappers effect on I Am Made of You.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Wed May 10, 2017 5:23 pm

I really hope this isnot a comedy album...

As for the one that said that some bands should've stopped making albums.... You're very wrong. Last Metallica and Marilyn Manson albums were CONSIDERABLY BETTER than their previous (not classic) works. Let's hope Alice can pull one great album again, or at least recover his unique style. Not that comedy-weird Al- kind of thing that doesn't suite hi at all.

Neither his fans or a new audience want that kind of stuff.... Who would?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 pm

The cross-dressing song would be great if he got Bruce Jenner to guest on it.

Maybe he could also include the song "Steal That Kardashian".

It looks like we are in for a few real knee-slappers!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed May 10, 2017 10:33 pm

Good for Alice to release another album for us. I'm sure it'll be great.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed May 10, 2017 10:45 pm

Lucius Morthem wrote:I really hope this isnot a comedy album...

As for the one that said that some bands should've stopped making albums.... You're very wrong. Last Metallica and Marilyn Manson albums were CONSIDERABLY BETTER than their previous (not classic) works. Let's hope Alice can pull one great album again, or at least recover his unique style. Not that comedy-weird Al- kind of thing that doesn't suite hi at all.

Neither his fans or a new audience want that kind of stuff.... Who would?

Considerably better than the awful albums they had graced us with for the last decade didn't make either really worth listening too for me. Metallica's isn't even worth downloading to piss them off. It sounds like "And Justice For Load," a bunch of meandering intros wrapped around Load and Re-Load song structures to make them 7 and 8 minutes long (or 4 minutes longer than necessary). I will say that the new Manson album was not a downright mess like his last couple, but it didn't grasp my attention for more than three or four listens.

I do agree that Alice needs to drop the silly, comedy schtick. It is not interesting, and it has become off-putting for me. That is why I liked ACAS in concept, because it had a dark element to it with some humor at times, but sadly that album was shambles in most every other department.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed May 10, 2017 11:23 pm

here, here.
Manson's last 2 albums were fantastic, hardwired by 'tallica was also really good so i disagree that some classic artists cant make it anymore.

For my 2 cents, alice seems to be talking like its eyes of alice cooper part 2 but the promos suggest something darker. I dont know, im excited either way tbh as its new alice. I loved W2MN (although it shouldn't have been a sequel to WTMN, not "horror" enough. it was great in isolation) I agree HV was rubbish but i dont count that as a proper alice album.

As long as the production is tight and he rocks im ok, my one hope is that he drops the obligatory ballad - they have stunk since last temptation (with the exception of every woman has a name which has a rather sad twist in the tale i always liked) The humour is fine and i think people forget songs like ...the entirety of zipper catches skin, even peoples beloved dada has several silly funny songs. they dont always work but im not ruling him out just because its funny.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu May 11, 2017 12:13 am

I think there has been a conspiracy in the music business since the turn of the century in which artists make two really awful albums or more in a row that way they can throw out a not quite terrible album, and people hail it as a return to form.