New album update

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: New album update

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sat May 13, 2017 10:48 am

None of us have heard even a half minute of music from this upcoming album and some are already writing it off based on a couple of song titles and I wouldn't be surprised if they had already decided a rating for it. This is absolutely crazy. Song titles often don't reveal anything about musical direction, structure of the song or even style and approach of the lyrics.

I give you for example two almost identical song titles by two different artists: Lana Del Rey's Love and Strapping Young Lad's Love? Former is atmospheric pop song and latter brutal and chaotic extreme metal. Lyrical style is also completely different on these songs.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat May 13, 2017 12:51 pm

The album is now being listed on Amazon :)

Box Set (which appears to be on CD) is £26.99
Vinyl £23.04
Standard CD £14.70

I'll let Si sort a link out that enables the site to receive some commission.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat May 13, 2017 1:53 pm

As far as I remember, nobody has said anything about the direction of the album. It could be garage rock, power-pop, heavy metal, etc. We do not know except for the fact that they claim fans of early Alice will enjoy it. This to me is something to be happy about it. However you can't sit and tell me that the two song titles mentioned do not give away clues about the concept of those two songs. We know that one of them is abiut crossdressing, and we know the other has a silly play on words, so the lyrical direction of both is pretty obvious if you have ever listened to Alice before. Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever, Ghouls Gone Wild, Woman Of Mass Distraction, Between High School and Old School, Thrill My Gorilla among others jump out as being humor-filled songs just based on the titles, so yes, I feel like conclusions can be drawn based on information we have been given so far and looking back at previous releases. I didn't say my conclusion was correct, but it isn't just some blind guess.

Blue Turk and Yeah Yeah Yeah and a whole host of song titles give nothing to draw conclusions from, but with Alice saying that I Wanna Be A Genuine America Woman was originally I Want A Genuine American Woman, you can see the type of humor Alice wanted to go forba tongue-in-cheek humor...same with I've Fallen In Love And Can't Get Up. I definitely don't see it being a sentimental ballad. Sorry if drawing conclusions is a bad thing, but I am constantly forming opinions about everything and let them evolve as more information continues to be revealed.

Even if I don't like the lyrical approach as with I'll Bite Your Face Off for example, I still like the song, because if it's music, so I'm personally not writing the album off as a whole until I hear it. I do however have my opinions formed on what to expect, and I hope my expectations are proven wrong.

schinkengott
Killer
Killer

Post by schinkengott » Sat May 13, 2017 2:08 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:The album is now being listed on Amazon :)

Vinyl £23.04
Standard CD £14.70

Seems like the Box Set includes 4 discs

Gesendet von meinem D6503 mit Tapatalk
Thats what a good spider does...you trap....you kill....you eat

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sat May 13, 2017 2:14 pm

4 discs. Two for the cd and two vinyl?

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat May 13, 2017 2:41 pm

mestreech wrote:4 discs. Two for the cd and two vinyl?
That would be great, price seems a little low for that though?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat May 13, 2017 3:14 pm

From guttertrash:
"This to me is something to be happy about it. However you can't sit and tell me that the two song titles mentioned do not give away clues about the concept of those two songs."

Who cares about "the concept of those two songs"? Is it not more important that they are good?

>so yes, I feel like conclusions can be drawn based on information we have been given so far and looking back at previous releases.

None of that tells you if the songs are any good. All they do is give clues about the subjects of those songs and the subjects alone won't indicate whether or not they are good songs.

>Even if I don't like the lyrical approach as with I'll Bite Your Face Off for example, I still like the song, because if it's music, so I'm personally not writing the album off as a whole until I hear it.

Exactly.

>I do however have my opinions formed on what to expect, and I hope my expectations are proven wrong.

I think having a view on something based on almost nothing isn't particularly productive.

ianmac
Trash
Trash

Post by ianmac » Sat May 13, 2017 3:39 pm

Twenty seven quid for the box set is a total 'flipping' rip off.
Did I order it ? Of course I did. That's what I do - I'm an Alice Cooper fan. I don't like this one little bit but unfortunately it's the price I have to pay nowadays to feed my long-time addiction.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat May 13, 2017 3:44 pm

ianmac wrote:Twenty seven quid for the box set is a total 'flipping' rip off.
Did I order it ? Of course I did. That's what I do - I'm an Alice Cooper fan. I don't like this one little bit but unfortunately it's the price I have to pay nowadays to feed my long-time addiction.
How do you know if it's a rip-off when we don't know what's included?

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat May 13, 2017 4:22 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From RemarkablyInsincere:
"It also diminishes any chance (no matter how small) of rock radio picking up on it, too."

While those are valid points, I would have thought we all knew by now that since say, "Brutal Planet", that has hardly been an objective.
It's always somewhere in the equation, otherwise why bother with any promotion at all? He might not have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a #1 hit, but a great song that's received well will gain traction in one form or another.

And it's not a matter of Alice "censoring" himself either, it's a matter of writing quality stuff and "I'll Bite Your Face Off" is a really silly lyric. I'm a huge fan, and the song title even makes me cringe.

Ezrin should have stepped in and said "You know Alice, we've got a really great song here, let's not dumb it down with a stupid title/chorus."

It's just so over the top silly compared to thought provoking titles like "Only Women Bleed", "Dead Babies" or even "Under My Wheels".
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat May 13, 2017 4:28 pm

The son of Don Quijote wrote:None of us have heard even a half minute of music from this upcoming album and some are already writing it off based on a couple of song titles and I wouldn't be surprised if they had already decided a rating for it. This is absolutely crazy. Song titles often don't reveal anything about musical direction, structure of the song or even style and approach of the lyrics.
Don't confuse commentary and discussion about silly song titles / concepts as "writing it off". I really hope the album is great. The last one wasn't and neither was the one before it, so it's fair for us to "discuss" some of things we're seeing in comparison.

I'll more than happy to admit I love the album if I do. Unfortunately, the last few times my Alice fandom has caused me to proclaim them great albums when they really weren't so I'm going to be a bit more reserved in making any sort of blanket statements on the album until I've lived with it for a while.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat May 13, 2017 4:33 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:Who cares about "the concept of those two songs"? Is it not more important that they are good?
Yes and no. "I'll Bite Your Face Off" is a prime example of a completely fabulous song undermined by juvenility.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sat May 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Vinyl £23.04
Standard CD £14.70

A local shop today tells me the box set is £37 and CDs are £20. No vinyl price.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Sat May 13, 2017 4:51 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:

Vinyl £23.04
Standard CD £14.70

A local shop today tells me the box set is £37 and CDs are £20. No vinyl price.
That would seem far more realistic as it would be on a par with the Wacken set. Well, it's reserved at the £26.99 price so that's what I'm paying :)

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Cant say im a hige fan of dirty diamonds and eyes of alice cooper. But ACAS &WTMN2. I absolutly loved. Looking forward to this one.

Spettro
Trash
Trash

Post by Spettro » Sat May 13, 2017 6:32 pm

I agree. Expect another Dirty Diamonds. Which is not a bad thing. Personally I'll take that over another bad Hollywood Vampires album anyday. :evil:

Actually, maybe it might be bad? If it's going to be another atypical garage rock album that's pretty much paint by numbers for Alice..I guess it's ok. I'll wait for a single to drop.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 pm

From RemarkablyInsincere:
"It's always somewhere in the equation, otherwise why bother with any promotion at all?"

By the time "I'll Bite Yourself Off" was released, you can be sure getting on mainstream radio stations was neither likely or a priority for all the reasons we have previously discussed. That doesn't mean you avoid the other promotional avenues and the title would not have been an obstacle there. One would have to wonder what an alternative title for that song would have been.

>And it's not a matter of Alice "censoring" himself either, it's a matter of writing quality stuff and "I'll Bite Your Face Off" is a really silly lyric. I'm a huge fan, and the song title even makes me cringe.

Well, originally I think you were referring to the title and as for the lyrics, they're by no means his worst. They work fine for that song.

>Ezrin should have stepped in and said "You know Alice, we've got a really great song here, let's not dumb it down with a stupid title/chorus."

As great as the song is, there are bigger issues with it than the lyrics.

>It's just so over the top silly compared to thought provoking titles like "Only Women Bleed", "Dead Babies" or even "Under My Wheels".

Is it any more silly than "I Love The Dead", or "Sick Things"? By 2010, all of that had ceased to matter.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat May 13, 2017 8:27 pm

From RemarkablyInsincere:
"Yes and no. "I'll Bite Your Face Off" is a prime example of a completely fabulous song undermined by juvenility."

I will take something great and stupid over something that's garbage and mature or serious.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat May 13, 2017 9:38 pm

Glad you can live with "great and stupid," but for me, the great riff was dragged down by stupid lyrics to the point that it really isn't fun to listen too, and it is just another reason that W2MN has not been listened too more than 5 or 6 times. The songs didn't grow on me, and the ridiculous, silliness just became more grating each time.