Advertising and ticket sales

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Advertising and ticket sales

Post by dadascot » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:37 am

Each week I have a cursory glance through the usual rock magazines and I've noticed a complete lack of advertising or even mentioning of the tour! Classic rock had a full back page two months ago but nothing since, not even in the tour listings. Kerrang don't mention it anywhere, never seen an advert! When I checked the ticket website they said that the glasgow gig was nearly sold out. Now I know that can be a marketing ploy, or maybe their quota of tickets is nearly sold out. At 12000 tickets I find that hard to believe. Does anyone know the. Real state of play? I do find the lack of advertising very strange, although there is still quite a while to go I suppose.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Advertising and ticket sales

Post by VinceRaven » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:28 am

I've no idea about why there's a lack of advertising, but the claim that the Glasgow gig is nearly sold out is as credible as the pronouncements of the current President of the United States. If more than a third of the tickets have been sold to actual punters at this time I'll be very surprised.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Two things

1. Just because a venue holds 12,000, that doesn`t mean they will be using the whole room. We've had this argument before. If they decide to only use half the room (and curtain off the rest) then the show can technically sell out. It all depends on how many tickets they put on sale. Yes, I know it's a little silly but that is how it works.

2. The shows are months away. They did the original adverts, and I'm sure there will be more closer to the actual shows. As to Kerrang does the average AC fan read that any more? I know I don`t. They stopped covering the music I liked decades ago. Were there adds in Mojo or similar mags? I don`t know but maybe that is more the target audience then Kerrang nowadays.
Basically, there is little point advertising the shows every month. That just wastes money.

3. As to the CR listing, they almost went out of business over Christmas and are only now putting themselves back in order. Quite possibly they just forgot to include it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:29 pm

From dadascot:
"I do find the lack of advertising very strange, although there is still quite a while to go I suppose."

Shows are also advertised in the local press and online also, not just the publications you mentioned.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:33 pm

From Si:
"It all depends on how many tickets they put on sale. Yes, I know it's a little silly but that is how it works."

This is a common practice. Sometimes, a smaller venue might not be available. Also, it gives the option of making more tickets available if the demand is high enough as happened in 2002 for example.

tommycooper
Trash
Trash

Post by tommycooper » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:06 pm

I think there's something in what dadascot is saying. Like many of us, I suspect, I get quite a few e-mails from ticket sites. Ticketmaster/ See Tickets/ AEG and the like seem very keen on reminding me that Deep Purple, for example, are playing the UK at the end of the year- but if I hadn't already got my Alice tickets during the brief initial fanfare I'd be none the wiser

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:45 pm

tommycooper wrote:I think there's something in what dadascot is saying. Like many of us, I suspect, I get quite a few e-mails from ticket sites. Ticketmaster/ See Tickets/ AEG and the like seem very keen on reminding me that Deep Purple, for example, are playing the UK at the end of the year- but if I hadn't already got my Alice tickets during the brief initial fanfare I'd be none the wiser
Exactly. I have never seen any local advertising. Glasgow is covered in kiss posters but I've never seen anything from Alice. The ticket master site showed tickets available from every area of the arena. I'm not getting hung up about I just find the seeming lack of advertising or even mentioning a bit strange. No doubt it will pickup nearer the time, a big push perhaps when the album comes out. I was just curious if anyone knew the true state of ticket sales.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:26 pm

I have to say the lack of advertising isn`t anything new. How often have we been to a show and there has been virtually nothing at the venue advertising the show. Maybe a few flyers but not posters outside.
Not always, but it's not uncommon.
Doen`tr seem to have really hurt ticket sales here haha

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:24 pm

I have an idea to boost ticket sales...finish the next album!!
Just read that Deep Purple are releasing their new one on April 7th!! What a novel idea ahead of a tour!! :smack:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:41 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:I have an idea to boost ticket sales...finish the next album!!
Just read that Deep Purple are releasing their new one on April 7th!! What a novel idea ahead of a tour!! :smack:

Aye but he'd only play two songs from it anyway so why bother.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:44 pm

In SouthAmerica the lack of advertising for Alice's previous shows was a reality. Lots of people didn't know he was performing until a week before the show. On the other side, entire cities are covered in posters for others shows, with Alice that was not the case

I do think this affects ticket selling but, is it the artist's management fault or the local producers?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:20 pm

From Lucius Morthem:
"I do think this affects ticket selling but, is it the artist's management fault or the local producers?"

That would be the responsibility of the promoters who book the show. Again, though, you no longer need to rely only on posters on a wall or magazine advertisements to announce a forthcoming show.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:34 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Lucius Morthem:
"I do think this affects ticket selling but, is it the artist's management fault or the local producers?"

That would be the responsibility of the promoters who book the show. Again, though, you no longer need to rely only on posters on a wall or magazine advertisements to announce a forthcoming show.
No, you don't, but it doesn`t hurt to do it. I remember going around a whole UK tour and seeing barely any mention of him playing at the venues... I guess they figure they can sell out anyway and save the money/don`t bother, but you won`t get much walkup trade that way.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:06 pm

From Si:
"No, you don't, but it doesn`t hurt to do it."

I agree but again, things have changed.

> I guess they figure they can sell out anyway and save the money/don`t bother,

Exactly.

>but you won`t get much walkup trade that way.

I am not sure that advertising at the venue itself is that important when you can advertise online, or in the local press or on local radio stations.

Phil
Trash
Trash

Post by Phil » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Just as further evidence,
I bought my Tickets for the Manchester arena gig at the box office and when I enquired about flyers, posters and such like,
I was told they had recievid no promotional material from the Alice camp at all, didn't know why, as it was certainly the anomaly.
Seems a common issue these days, I mean, the new album is supposed to appear in a few months and I know next to nothing about it.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:09 am

From Phil:
"I was told they had recievid no promotional material from the Alice camp at all, didn't know why, as it was certainly the anomaly."

As has been already explained, that isn’t the responsibility of “the Alice camp” and as has also been already explained, things have changed. What used to be advertising printed on paper and put on display has been replaced by http://www.manchester-arena.com/events/ (scroll down).

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11 am

Most artists these days rely on social media to spread the word to the fans. Most older artists like Alice have a "built in" audience that they market to directly. The venues that are booked and the amount spent on the tour is based on the numbers of these "built-in" audiences factored with an estimate of casual fan turnout.

It's pretty safe to say that Alice will draw the same amount of fans in any given city as he did the previous tour. Most hardcore fans are tied into social media/websites, fan sites etc, and get the information they need. There is really no need for tons of traditional promotion. Especially for an artist like Alice. I'm going to see UFO this weekend and there wasn't one iota of traditional promotion and the show is nearly sold out. It's a different world.

I think what has a lot of fans rankled is that due to this new era of promotion it cuts down on collectibles. Gone are the days of tour posters, flyers, adverts, etc. There is still some of it--but nowhere near what it used to be.

My question is---if everyone on here knows there is a concert, knows how to get tickets, and is tuned into Alice's web presence than why are they upset with the lack of these items?

Also, please keep in mind that the lack of free promotional materials for any given tour leads to a greater demand for "official" merchandise for each tour. Why give out a three color flyer with great graphics as a souvenir when you can charge $20.00 for an "official" poster?

Once again--it's a business and the whole point of business is to make money.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:53 am

Phil wrote: Seems a common issue these days, I mean, the new album is supposed to appear in a few months and I know next to nothing about it.
I knew next to nothing about the recent Metallica album
I know next to nothing about the upcoming U2 new album
I knew next to nothing about Sixx AM's double release last year

(Oh I knew they were all being recorded but that was about it)

AND

I knew absolutely nothing about David Bowies last 2 albums until they actually hit the shelves

I don't know what we want to hear about the album until its released , we all know its being recorded , we all know Dennis , Neal & Mike *may* be on it , we all know Ezrin is producing , we all know its being recorded in Nashville , actually we know a fair bit - well that's enough info for me - Im sure when its closer to release date we will find out its title and release date and whether or not Larry Mullen guests on it !

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:22 pm

I know nothing about U2 or sixx AM and frankly dont really care for either band. I do know metallica and their pre launch promotion was spot on, making of videos, music videos and a big interview circuit pushing the album quite hard - and it sold bloody well. I know there is a big difference between metallica and alice but the principal is the same.
I had written of metallica as garbage (given their output ever since the black album) but they pulled me round with well placed promotional material.
Allot of you have sworn of alice, if he targets you guys with new vids (doesnt have to be blockbuster, tallica did vids for each song on their new album in vast differences of styles and budget, you can find something cheap and make it work - just a performance clip doesnt hurt) but if alice shows off 2 good songs maybe more, then this could help sway the neutrals/negatives and build excitement for the impending release.

Just hope he will have it out this year and it will rock.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:40 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
I know nothing about U2 or sixx AM and frankly dont really care for either band. I do know metallica and their pre launch promotion was spot on, making of videos, music videos and a big interview circuit pushing the album quite hard - and it sold bloody well. I know there is a big difference between metallica and alice but the principal is the same.
I had written of metallica as garbage (given their output ever since the black album) but they pulled me round with well placed promotional material.
Allot of you have sworn of alice, if he targets you guys with new vids (doesnt have to be blockbuster, tallica did vids for each song on their new album in vast differences of styles and budget, you can find something cheap and make it work - just a performance clip doesnt hurt) but if alice shows off 2 good songs maybe more, then this could help sway the neutrals/negatives and build excitement for the impending release.

Just hope he will have it out this year and it will rock.
I don't think you can compare these two situations at all. Metallica split with Warner to form their own label in 2012. Along with taking control of all of their copyrights and re-releasing everything under their new label, they have also been selling live soundboard downloads of all of their shows for close to a decade now. Add to this that they are not dealing with a traditional label that would have to split money among promoting albums for multiple bands, they had a stockpile of funding to put toward promoting their new album.

Once there is a label that has picked up the new Alice album or the album is in the bag. You will more than likely see some kind of promotions, but the labels that Alice has been working with are not major labels. The last two albums came out on Steamhammer and then two Universal subsidiaries: UMe (Universal Music Enterprises) in the U.S, and Spinefarm in the UK/Europe. Steamhammer being a traditional label put some promotion into their release with the video, the game, some magazine advertising, etc. UMe on the otherhand is the reissue division of Universal Music Group, so promotional funding is not the same with them as you would have with one of Universal's more traditional subsidiaries. UMe was also backing Nirvana's big 20th anniversary reissue of Nevermind which came out a month after Welcome 2 My Nightmare. In Europe, it was released by the more traditional subsidiary Spinefarm, but they also had releases by Michael Monroe, Children of Bodom, and The Answer along with some other bands too. The aforementioned bands would all have gotten a decent percentage of promotional funding, and it doesn't seem like it is an extremely large label, so I doubt their was a ton of money to go around to begin with.

These major differences between the two situations must be accounted for. Metallica is able to do as they please, because it is their money, and they have nobody else to worry about focusing on. They could put as much as they wanted to into it, because it was their money. A traditional label is first and foremost going to make sure they come out ahead. This is why many major labels are now taking percentages from merch sales and tours to put towards promotional funding for bands. The business has changed drastically over the last two decades. The traditional powerhouse labels and some bands such as KISS claim for the worst, but many musicians would claim for the better, because the trickle down economics of the old industry standard has shifted for bands and musicians who are willing to live outside of the traditional label realm and has been extremely beneficial for local and regional artists due to ease of production and marketing independently.