2017 is the 30th anniversary of Raise Your Fist and Yell

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

2017 is the 30th anniversary of Raise Your Fist and Yell

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:46 pm

I am very excited for this year as its the 30th anniversary of my personal favorite album of Alice's...anyone who knows me knows that I am always wishing some songs from that album would be added to the setlist. After the initial "Live in the Flesh" tour from 87-88, they disappeared off the setlist. Its only been in the last decade or so that Alice has decided to resurrect some songs from Constrictor, the previous album...since 2000 we have had He's Back, Teenage Frankenstein, and the World Needs Guts...and World Needs Guts ironically was added in last year, the 30th anniversary of Constrictor.

Now, I am sure the chances are small once again, but if there was ever a year a song from that album would get added to this setlist, I figure its this year.

As much as I want the whole trilogy done live and with the proper setpieces, I would just be happy to hear anything from it...preferably Freedom or Roses on White Lace...any one who likes this album, I would love your opinion...
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: 2017 is the 30th anniversary of Raise Your Fist and Yell

Post by Babysquid » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:57 pm

What's the trilogy?

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Babysquid wrote:What's the trilogy?
It's Chop,Chop,Chop/Gail/Roses on White Lace...it was nicknamed that since all 3 songs tell a loose story together
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:58 pm

100% would love the trilogy. i think Nita strauss could handle the guitar parts nicely, not that sure glen sobel could do it justice but thats only suspicion ( i am not a fan of his drumming style at all, way to stripped back for my liking)

Failing that i think that Prince of darkness or time to kill would be amazing.

But i adore RYFAY - one of my top 5 alice albums ever - so anything played from this album would have me flipping out, screaming every word and headbanging so hard i would give myself whiplash !

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:10 am

The second side of the album is his best of his comeback years.
I love the trilogy and I'm very glad that I saw that tour live for many times. Such great bloody memories.

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:59 am

One of my favorite albums of all time. Like most of you, I would LOVE to hear and see the trilogy performed live. Roses On White Lace is my favorite Alice song.
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

Phil
Trash
Trash

Post by Phil » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:27 am

I always thought lock me up would be a great opening tune for the live show,
The curtain being up and the lights going crazy during the drum intro, then falling away just as the riff kicks in.
The place would erupt!!!!

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:39 am

Phil wrote:I always thought lock me up would be a great opening tune for the live show,
The curtain being up and the lights going crazy during the drum intro, then falling away just as the riff kicks in.
The place would erupt!!!!
It wouldn't erupt though would it?!

Phil
Trash
Trash

Post by Phil » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Ok, I grant you that was rather clumsily put.
What I mean is, subjectivly it's a great show opener, it's pacey, loud, sing-a-long, it's a rare cut (as far as live performances go)
So infinitly more interesting than hearing Hello hurray open again.
And just has a great raucous vibe to introduce a hard rock show.
I think there could be a relative eruption.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:33 pm

The reality is, that bar a relatively small number of hardcore fans in the audience, playing those songs live would go down like a lead balloon..... let alone opening with one of them!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:51 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:The reality is, that bar a relatively small number of hardcore fans in the audience, playing those songs live would go down like a lead balloon..... let alone opening with one of them!
Actually I kinda disagree in that I think almost any song could be used as an opener, as the audience will just go with it, being as it's the first song. They haven`t had the chance to lose interest or attention. It would be harder to have a song like this mid set then as an opener. Just follow it up with a classic and it wouldn`t be a problem.

Phil
Trash
Trash

Post by Phil » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Exactly, the opening song is the best time to throw in a tune like lock me up, you are totally engrossed in the vision of Alice appearing.
getting somewhat lost in the backdrop, the band, the lights and Coop, a 'fist in the air', big chorus track like lock me up would totally work.
In fact, the more I think about it, I'm convinced it's the best choice possible as opening number!!!
Last week I would have said something different, next week I will say something different (I tend to binge listen to albums)
But this week, RYFAY is a masterpiece and every band playing live should cover lock me up as their opening number!!!!

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:35 am

Si wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:The reality is, that bar a relatively small number of hardcore fans in the audience, playing those songs live would go down like a lead balloon..... let alone opening with one of them!
Actually I kinda disagree in that I think almost any song could be used as an opener, as the audience will just go with it, being as it's the first song. They haven`t had the chance to lose interest or attention. It would be harder to have a song like this mid set then as an opener. Just follow it up with a classic and it wouldn`t be a problem.
That's a great point, SI. On the opposite side, I remember seeing Humble Pie and they opened with their biggest hit (which everyone expected to be their last song as an encore) "I Don't Need No Doctor". The place erupted (not literally). It was a great move and yet they kept the entire concert on a supreme level. My point being, what if Alice opened with "School's Out"? He has a huge advantage over Humble Pie because of his numerous hits and popular album cuts. But that would be quite interesting. As for RYFY, loved the album, saw the great tour, and would enjoy seeing him pull out "Time to Kill" and/ or the trilogy.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:42 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote: My point being, what if Alice opened with "School's Out"? He has a huge advantage over Humble Pie because of his numerous hits and popular album cuts. But that would be quite interesting.
He HAS opened with 'School's Out'. Well some of it anyway. Theater of Death tour.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:26 am

much as i would love to see the trilogy live again, as i've said several times i read somewhere that Alice had said that, due to his beliefs etc, he wouldn't perform songs of that nature again. having said that, after bits of trawls, i can't find that quote so i'm beginning to think i'm mistaken! i certainly hope so, but i don't think so.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:45 pm

It seems like we have covered this theme before (i.e. not playing songs due to religious belief/conviction). Of trying to avoid the taboo subject (on this board at least). It is clear Alice had some religious experience or reconnection to his faith. Afterwards, he did express qualms about performing some songs. However, as time has passed it seems there is nothing he minds performing so long as it is consistent with his character (i.e. Alice the villain). However, I don't think he wants to do songs with simply gratuitous reference to sex or other subjects that would be incongruous with a character he is portraying.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:09 pm

I seem to recall it was mainly songs off Trash that he's not comfortable with?

I agree with him, for different reasons.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:44 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:I seem to recall it was mainly songs off Trash that he's not comfortable with?

Christian American's are often very prudish and ashamed about sex so I could see that. ACAS was similar in nonsense to RYFAY so if he can write and record that piece of crap he should have no problem doing the RYFAY garbage.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:18 am

ACAS was similar in nonsense to RYFAY so if he can write and record that piece of crap he should have no problem doing the RYFAY garbage.
Lets not compare ACAS to the majesty of RYFAY. Just because both have horror themes. RYFAY is a tight, blistering exercise in high octane metal with everyone on top of their game, ACAS .....well its just plain boring :)
I get what you say but i dont believe alice ever had an issue with RYFAY, as has already been mentioned i think trash and to a lesser extent hey stoopid are the ones he had "issues" with.
But as also mentioned alice has since played trash, Bed of nails Poison and house of fire (maybe even more tracks i have missed) so i dont think he has an issue any more.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:52 am

pitkin88 wrote:
While Heaven Wept wrote:I seem to recall it was mainly songs off Trash that he's not comfortable with?

Christian American's are often very prudish and ashamed about sex so I could see that. ACAS was similar in nonsense to RYFAY so if he can write and record that piece of crap he should have no problem doing the RYFAY garbage.
I love you pitkin :grin: