Clever Clever Clever

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Clever Clever Clever

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:40 am

The opposite to the Stupid Stupid Stupid thread. The bargains and amazing finds.

My Top 3 and I didn't have to even leave the house. I'm guessing it was 73 and there was a knock at the door. There was a kid there holding Pretties For You and Easy Action. He said he had heard I was a big Alice Cooper fan and did I want to buy them. I looked them over and they were in vg plus shape. I said I could give him 5 pounds for both ( a new album was around two pounds fifty pence ) which he agreed to. I ran into the back room and begged my parents for the cash telling them that these albums where so hard to get, Thankfully they agreed.

Biggest score was the Paracidal Slumbers bootleg. A friend's girlfriend was telling me her brother was selling his Alice Cooper records. I told her I pretty much had them all. She said she'd find out what he had. I think this was 1976. Anyway she says he has a bootleg called Paracidal Slumbers. I think I offered two pounds fifty again ( or close ) and she said she'd tell him. Another knock at the door and there is a cute girl holding the red cover album. Sadly, I needed the cash years later and sold it in 91 for 75 pounds. Huge profit but still.

mr.barlow

Re: Clever Clever Clever

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:39 am

My first edition copy of the Billion Dollar Baby book. I was a teenager hanging out at the local city library (yes--I used to hang out at the library--and I LOVE them to this day.) At any rate, thanks to this library I got what amounts to a huge box of reference on Alice. They had an incredible periodical room and microfilm records. (for you younger folks---this was my day's version of google). I spent a small fortune on their copy machine (for you younger folks--this was before everyone had a printer).

At any rate--I checked the card catalog and saw they had the book in their stacks. Well...I nearly fainted when I saw it there sitting on the shelf. Well, I checked out the book and it just never happened to find it's way back!

They used to send me letters and the librarian would occasionally ask me about the book and I just said I dropped it in the after-hours book return.

You could say I'm both a liar and a thief --but hey--I was a teenager! Plus the donations I have made to the library in the last 20 years has made up for my moment of weakness---or genius--whichever way you want to look at it :)

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:44 am

mr.barlow wrote:My first edition copy of the Billion Dollar Baby book. I was a teenager hanging out at the local city library (yes--I used to hang out at the library--and I LOVE them to this day.) At any rate, thanks to this library I got what amounts to a huge box of reference on Alice. They had an incredible periodical room and microfilm records. (for you younger folks---this was my day's version of google). I spent a small fortune on their copy machine (for you younger folks--this was before everyone had a printer).

At any rate--I checked the card catalog and saw they had the book in their stacks. Well...I nearly fainted when I saw it there sitting on the shelf. Well, I checked out the book and it just never happened to find it's way back!

They used to send me letters and the librarian would occasionally ask me about the book and I just said I dropped it in the after-hours book return.

You could say I'm both a liar and a thief --but hey--I was a teenager! Plus the donations I have made to the library in the last 20 years has made up for my moment of weakness---or genius--whichever way you want to look at it :)

I got my first BDB book in the library too!! Checked it out and then told them I lost it. I think they charged me around $10. I gave to to a good friend, at the time, who was a die-hard Alice fan. The book was in good shape but minus the pics.

damiennalice
Bouilliabase
Bouilliabase

Post by damiennalice » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:29 pm

In the early 80s a friend of mine had a friend who worked in radio. One day my friend came over and said he had mentioned to his friend I was an Alice fan. The guy gave him all the Alice records he had and said I could pick out the ones I wanted. I ended up keeping all of them. Here is why:

LITD - white label promo, thumb, no "18"box, dj timing sticker
BDB -- white label promo, all goodies in tack
Killer - white label promo, calendar
Killer - white label promo but missing calendar
MoL -- white label promo, all goodies in tack
SO -- white label promo, pink panties
"Radio issue only" stamped copies of FTF,SF,FTI and Alice Cooper Show.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:13 pm

in a tiny little cd shop I happend to find 1 copy of Battle Axe (the 3 cd, ltd edtion) and a bit later, 1 copy of Halo of Ice.
The only time I have ever seen copies of those, and this time I was smart enough to buy them :alice:
you really wouldn't understand..

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:39 pm

damiennalice wrote:In the early 80s a friend of mine had a friend who worked in radio. One day my friend came over and said he had mentioned to his friend I was an Alice fan. The guy gave him all the Alice records he had and said I could pick out the ones I wanted. I ended up keeping all of them. Here is why:

:clap:

nice haul wowzers!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:43 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:My first edition copy of the Billion Dollar Baby book. I was a teenager hanging out at the local city library (yes--I used to hang out at the library--and I LOVE them to this day.) At any rate, thanks to this library I got what amounts to a huge box of reference on Alice. They had an incredible periodical room and microfilm records. (for you younger folks---this was my day's version of google). I spent a small fortune on their copy machine (for you younger folks--this was before everyone had a printer).

I got my first BDB book in the library too!! Checked it out and then told them I lost it. I think they charged me around $10. I gave to to a good friend, at the time, who was a die-hard Alice fan. The book was in good shape but minus the pics.
that's funny - my copy of Me Alice came from the City of York library too. I signed it out and shortly thereafter Toronto amalgamated all the boroughs and the City of York Library closed - and I kept the book. Terrible condition, but no pages missing.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:22 am

Toronto Bob wrote:
damiennalice wrote:In the early 80s a friend of mine had a friend who worked in radio. One day my friend came over and said he had mentioned to his friend I was an Alice fan. The guy gave him all the Alice records he had and said I could pick out the ones I wanted. I ended up keeping all of them. Here is why:

nice haul wowzers!

Yeah this is stellar. The School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies are a real Coop. The LITD with the time stamp I had at one point.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:23 am

Toronto Bob wrote:

nice haul wowzers!

Yeah this is stellar. The School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies are a real Coop. The LITD with the time stamp I had at one point.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:27 am

patrick wrote:in a tiny little cd shop I happend to find 1 copy of Battle Axe (the 3 cd, ltd edtion) and a bit later, 1 copy of Halo of Ice.
The only time I have ever seen copies of those, and this time I was smart enough to buy them :alice:

The store I got these in had only one copy of each too. I'm guessing they probably only order one. I was very surprised by how much the 3 cd has increased in value and scarcity.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:44 am

Ok, this makes up for my earlier post! I got 'slick black limousine ' floppy free, for running a training course. I bought the original gate-fold sleeve calendar 'killer lp' and met Alice an hour later and he signed it for me!

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:51 am

pitkin88 wrote:
patrick wrote:in a tiny little cd shop I happend to find 1 copy of Battle Axe (the 3 cd, ltd edtion) and a bit later, 1 copy of Halo of Ice.

The store I got these in had only one copy of each too. I'm guessing they probably only order one. I was very surprised by how much the 3 cd has increased in value and scarcity.
Damn I had one and lost it!

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:48 pm

I was working in HMV when that 3cd Battleaxe album appeared mysteriously. It wasn't even on the invoice, no idea why it was sent to the store but the manager just let me have it. 3 days later the store received a memo insisting any copies be withdrawn from sale as it was technically a bootleg.

Sold it a few years back for £80 or thereabouts.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:21 pm

I picked up Billion Dollar Babies on vinyl, with the Billion Dollar Bill, for $10 so that's a massive profit right there of $999,999,990! I'm saving it for a rainy day!

A few things I'm happy to have found are:

The Signed Keepin' Halloween Alive CD Single - Was 'Buy It Now' on eBay for £300 (I kid you not) but the seller randomly accepted my offer of only £20.

The 'Signed and Remarked' hardback version of The Last Temptation comic books - Was £75 but got it half price last year at Forbidden Planet.

An excellent condition copy of Easy Action on the Bizarre label - Managed to beat the seller down to £175, which I think was good business.

The Billon Dollar Babies replica medallion - £20 on eBay.

The Battle Axe 3 CD Set - £30 on eBay.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:37 pm

I remember being chuffed to find a copy of 'For Britain Only' on 12" at a car boot sale for just 20p.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:45 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
I have the following:

- Complete Battle Axe (3 CD set)
- Halo of Ice
- Alive and Re-Cooperated - The Second Coming of Michael Bruce (Iceland import CD; only 200 copies issued)
- Michael Bruce - In My Own Way - The Complete Sessions (2 CD)
- Billion Dollar Baby (paperback, 1st printing)

Ted

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:19 pm

Hey Stoopid scarf and cap for ten bucks. Many bootlegs picked up here and there before prices got inflated into the ridiculous.
Clipping-coverage of the Vancouver stage-fall in '75; Alice in an Oilers hockey jersey holding his wrapped head from the next show in Edmonton.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...