Shep Gordon:They Call Me Supermensch.

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Shep Gordon:They Call Me Supermensch.

Post by KeithGale » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:39 pm

I am reading the Kindle edition and have got to the part of the band break up, which makes for interesting reading and how Joe Greenberg moved on from the band.

I have to say it is an entertaining read so far and great to have Shep's perspective on the events.

No spoilers from me, but it should make future discussions interesting!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Shep Gordon:They Call Me Supermensch.

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:49 pm

I'm sure somewhere GDMN aka Bob is frothing at the mouth. I don't intend reading but you are right it should make for some great discussion.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:07 pm

Will take a pass simply because Gordon has no credibility in my book and reading propaganda is not my idea of a good read. Oh and I couldn't care less about cooking for celebrities.

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:13 pm

It is very enlightening,yet again it's Shep's interpretation of what happened, but he does seem to give a honest appraisal of what he thought occurred, especially with regard to Joe Greenberg, earlier in the book he suggests Joe should write his account on what happened!!!

I think what I have gained from this, without too many spoilers is that Shep was open and honest with all concerned!!

To be fair though I have yet to finish the book, I would say it better written than Alice's Golf Monster!!

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:Will take a pass simply because Gordon has no credibility in my book and reading propaganda is not my idea of a good read. Oh and I couldn't care less about cooking for celebrities.

You have to read the book surely to form an opinion over whether you find it credible, Shep was there, I wasn't and to my knowledge you weren't, if you were then you have my apologies!!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:08 am

no apologies necessary, I was not there. Just in interviews he repeats the same false stories (chicken in toronto etc, Hendrix connection etc) but in addition to that, in my opinion, he engineered the breakup of the original band and his lack of interest in the music has led to the loss of control of the back catalogue which in turn has led to substandard releases and not maximizing the full potential of archival releases. Yeah, I lay all that at his feet and don't care if anyone agrees with me. I know amuk will swoop in shortly defending Shep but the facts remain.

Shep was a crafty guy and really spun that ragged ass bunch into a commercial success but his business plan (whatever it was) had no staying power and he didn't take the long view in regards to the revenue streams that the catalogue would have provided in the subsequent decades. He's done quite well in spite of these errors, but that's typical luck of people from his generation (baby boomers).

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:23 am

Toronto Bob wrote:no apologies necessary, I was not there. Just in interviews he repeats the same false stories (chicken in toronto etc, Hendrix connection etc) but in addition to that, in my opinion, he engineered the breakup of the original band and his lack of interest in the music has led to the loss of control of the back catalogue which in turn has led to substandard releases and not maximizing the full potential of archival releases. Yeah, I lay all that at his feet and don't care if anyone agrees with me. I know amuk will swoop in shortly defending Shep but the facts remain.

Shep was a crafty guy and really spun that ragged ass bunch into a commercial success but his business plan (whatever it was) had no staying power and he didn't take the long view in regards to the revenue streams that the catalogue would have provided in the subsequent decades. He's done quite well in spite of these errors, but that's typical luck of people from his generation (baby boomers).

If the book was solely Alice Cooper I would have some interest but agree somewhat with Bob. Do I want to hear the oft repeated press tall tales stuff again?. I believe he gives Cindy credit for the band introduction here which is due. I watched the movie but don't feel the book is a must read.

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:24 am

Trying to avoid spoilers:

Shep does acknowledge Cindy, the arrangement with Joe Greenberg for splitting up as managers, was something I had not heard before.

As for the group break up. I feel Shep explains his side of the case in a little more detail.

The only thing I did find bizarre and I will reveal this on here, though some people may know this already, is that Shep thinks the Billion Dollar Baby book is great!!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:16 am

KeithGale wrote:Trying to avoid spoilers:

The only thing I did find bizarre and I will reveal this on here, though some people may know this already, is that Shep thinks the Billion Dollar Baby book is great!!
Now that I find interesting and perhaps telling, cool tidbit

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:15 pm

From Toronto Bob:
"I know amuk will swoop in shortly defending Shep but the facts remain."

Unfortunately for you, there's very few "facts" there but anyone interested can check previous threads.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:29 pm

I would say it better written than Alice's Golf Monster!!
not much of an effort. I hated that book. neither one thing nor the other and full of celebrity name dropping.

How much of the shep book is Alice related and how much is this cooking malarkey that he started?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:37 pm

From pitkin88:
"I believe he gives Cindy credit for the band introduction here which is due."

Well, actually she was interviewed for the book which cane with "Old School" which was at my suggestion because I thought it was important she be given a voice as she was an important figure and also at my suggestion, Bob Ezrin gave her a glowing tribute in his introduction to the DVD which came with "Old School" and she features in the bonus section of the DVD of "Super Duper Alice Cooper" as well.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:40 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
I would say it better written than Alice's Golf Monster!!
not much of an effort. I hated that book. neither one thing nor the other and full of celebrity name dropping.

How much of the shep book is Alice related and how much is this cooking malarkey that he started?

The title Golf Monster is enough to make you hurl. Spend the Night With Alice Cooper is dreadful too. The worst ever Cooper title though has got to be Good To See You Again. Sounds like a Bette Midler movie.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:42 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"I believe he gives Cindy credit for the band introduction here which is due."

Well, actually she was interviewed for the book which cane with "Old School" which was at my suggestion because I thought it was important she be given a voice as she was an important figure and also at my suggestion, Bob Ezrin gave her a glowing tribute in his introduction to the DVD which came with "Old School" and she features in the bonus section of the DVD of "Super Duper Alice Cooper" as well.

I have not read that but well done.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:52 pm

From KeithGale:
"The only thing I did find bizarre and I will reveal this on here, though some people may know this already, is that Shep thinks the Billion Dollar Baby book is great!!"

Well, it is well - written, entertaining and really puts you into the middle of that time and place even if one doesn't agree with the writer's agenda.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:49 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:Just in interviews he repeats the same false stories (chicken in toronto etc, Hendrix connection etc) but in addition to that, in my opinion, he engineered the breakup of the original band

Pretty much for the same reasons I don't plan to read the book. Had I felt it would be an honest account I would have been interested.

Shep did a lot of good things to promote the band, but he severely underestimated the power of their music and its importance in their success.

I admire the current re-invention of Shep as a wise and funny man who has perspective on success. But in the early 70s he was a different person.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:24 am

From darkmenace:
"Shep did a lot of good things to promote the band, but he severely underestimated the power of their music and its importance in their success."

While I know what you mean, I don't think that's the issue. His job (along with Joe Greenberg) was to sell it and promote it, irrespective of what he thought of it (and he admits rock music was not his favourite thing to listen to).

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:00 pm

I remember in college, reading a quote where someone said, "History is a set of lies agreed upon." I am interested in what Shep Gordon has to say because that is his memory and perception of what took place. The guys in the original group likely agree on some things, while disagreeing on others. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, it usually is. Alice is going to have his own perception because fans essentially assumed the lead singer was Alice Cooper (many casual fans like it or not, have always thought of Alice as a solo artist), so he became that and he was the only one to have any success as a solo artist. Shep was apparently closer to Alice than the rest of the band (or at least it evolved into that) so his view may come more from that perspective. We all are guilty of that. While on the other hand, there are some fans on this board that feel the original band was slighted (I don't agree with that personally but I can certainly understand that perspective) once Alice went solo.

My point is I look forward to reading the book because Shep Gordon is an interesting guy with an interesting career and I enjoy reading rock biographies. Very few rock biographies are 100 percent factual, but that doesn't mean there isn't truth in them and it doesn't mean we can't learn something new.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:33 pm

If there never was Shep Gordon no one would have ever heard of Alice Cooper.

If there never was Shep Gordon, what was left of Alice in 1982 would have simply faded away into either death or obscurity.

You can't have tremendous successes without tremendous failures.

It's 2016 and Alice Cooper is both a rock and a cultural icon who is still touring with great success. That would have never been possible without Shep.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:40 am

Oh my mr. barlow, that's written like you have a crystal ball into an alternative reality where the ACG never met Shep.

Who knows - you don't and I don't, but your writing is so definitive, it's as if you do know. Please let your fellow Americans know if Trump is going to be the president, so they can get a head start with their plans to move to Canada.

Oh and Shep was as lucky to hook up with Alice as Alice was lucky to run into him. My guess is that, as Shep mentioned in the B$B book, it was easier to promote 1 personality as opposed to 5, my guess it was also easier to manage 1 person (with an aversion to conflict) and not 5 different artistic personalities - some with their own ideas.