CHEMICAL REACTION ( Rating The Un released and Bonus Cuts )

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Re: CHEMICAL REACTION ( Rating The Un released and Bonus Cuts )

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:22 pm

A Bad Situation: It's ok. I think it would sound better live. I think the rhythm guitar needs to be a little louder and harder sounding. The vocals seem to be a little loud in the mix too. I've only heard this on Youtube so I may be misjudging it. 7/10.

Because: I don't really care for the original. I think this cover improves on it slightly. I think it's more interesting than it is good though. I still think it would make a cool intro to Brutal Planet. 6/10.

Can't Sleep, Clowns Will Eat Me: Fun and very catchy. I can understand why it wasn't included on the album though. 8/10.

Chemical Reaction: As it is I'd give it a 6/10 but it has the potential to be a lot better. I think it would be better if it was trimmed down to around 3 minutes instead of 5.

Eleanor Rigby: Hell, I thought it was Paul McCartney singing when I first heard it. Since Alice stuck so close to the original vocally, I wish they had done something a little different with the music. If I heard this live I'd give it a 10/10. Hearing it on cd I can only give it something like 7/10. I don't know if that makes any sense or not.

For Britain Only: Not a great song, but a nice gesture. 6/10.

Hands of Death: Too much Zombie, not enough Alice. Rob has some good songs, but he's produced a lot of songs that I find mediocre and almost indistinguishable from one another. This one fits into that category. 4/10.

Hard Rock Summer: Pure cheese. I like the guitar parts at least. 3/10.

Hey, Bulldog: Alice has done a lot of great Beatles covers live, so I'm surprised that I didn't enjoy this one more. I think I would have liked it better if he hadn't played it for laughs. Though maybe that was the intent of the album. 6/10.

Identity Crisises: Good track. I think the low-fi production really fits it. The chorus really has a great 60s garage rock sound. 8/10

If Fourth Street Could Talk: I just listened to this one for the first time a few minutes ago. My first reaction is that it sounds like a song on From the Inside if that album had come out in 1991. Not crazy about it, honestly. 5/10.

I Got a Line on You: Great riff. I'm not crazy about the bridge of the song, but it rocks nevertheless. 9/10. I would like to hear a live version with Chains of Love replacing the bridge.

I'll Still Be There: Should have been on the main album. It's great. 9/10.

Is Anyone Home?: The lyrics almost seem like placeholders, but it's not a bad song. 7/10.

It Rained All Night: The song itself has potential, but the keyboards, organ, finger snapping, and added vocals are all pretty bad. As it is it gets a 4/10, but I think a reworked version of it could be very good.

Keepin' Halloween Alive: I love this song. 10/10

King Herod's Song: Boy, do I ever hate musicals. This is very well performed, but this type of music is just not my cup of tea. 10/10 for the performance. 1/10 because the only musical that I like is the Blues Brothers.

Look at You Over There, Ripping the Sawdust from My Teddybear: Pretty bad. 2/10

Mankind: 8/10. I'm not really a fan of this type of music but I really like this song. The only thing that keeps me from giving it a 10/10 is the movie dialog that was shoehorned into it. There's a version on youtube that edits out most of that bit if anyone is interested.

Midnight Crawler: I think it's about as good as most of the tracks on ACAS. 6/10.

Nobody Likes Me: Really fun. 8/10

No Tricks: Great song. I like it better than any track on the album. 10/10

Santa Claws Is Coming To Town: Some incredibly talented people involved in this, but at the end of the day it's a not so good cover of a not so great Christmas song. I wish that they had covered a different song or come up with something new. 3/10. FWIW the Dio/Tony Iommi cover of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" on this album is awesome.

Shadow of Yourself: Very good. The bonus tracks on ACAS are as good as anything on the album. 8/10.

The Sharpest Pain: Great song that should have absolutely been on the album. 10/10. Why is this track so hard to find?

See Me in the Mirror: I have no idea what genre of music this fits into, and I would never have guessed it was an Alice Cooper song, but I like it. 8/10

Under the Bed: Very good. It would have been one on the best on the album. That's one of my biggest gripes about concept albums. Good tracks are either weakened to fit the "story" or are completely left off the album entirely. 9/10

We Gotta Get Out of This Place: Good cover. I like it more than the original. 8/10

Wish You Were Here: Surprisingly, not very good. I don't know what went wrong, but this should have been great. 3/10.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:27 am

I really like the hey stoopid demos/b sides.
it rained all night is a 9/10 for me, absolutely great little riff with a brilliant feel to it.
4th street could talk is pure class 8/10 and i really like it. Its harder to rate etc as it is just a demo but it sounds great.
Chemical Reaction 8/10 - another great rocker. I dont know what other songs they have in the vault but going by these 3 tracks hey stoopid could have happily been a double album and i would have loved it! hahaha

I think the ACAS left over tracks are much better than the album songs but the bar isnt high tbh.

Love transfusion - i havent heard the alice version but i love the iggy pop one (where he is essentially doing a alice impression) its just good sleezey fun

as i have moaned elsewhere i really want to hear the demos/unreleased tracks etc from the 80s to 00s
its incredibly frustrating to have so much audio gold sitting in vaults and we dont get to hear them :(
And i know people say "oh you dont need to hear the songs, they are not that good" (it is mentioned in the comments on this thread) but as is demonstrated by Mr. Misdemeanor he dislikes the hey stoopid songs and i love the songs so one persons opinion on what we need to hear is incredibly subjective.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:24 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:27 am

And i know people say "oh you dont need to hear the songs, they are not that good" (it is mentioned in the comments on this thread) but as is demonstrated by Mr. Misdemeanor he dislikes the hey stoopid songs and i love the songs so one persons opinion on what we need to hear is incredibly subjective.
Exactly right. De gustibus non disputandum est - or, in other words, one man's (Unfinished) Sweet is another another man's Poison. And who knows these songs may grow on me. There are a ton of Cooper songs that I initially disliked but eventually grew to love.

Agrophile in Texas
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Agrophile in Texas » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:31 am

I thought y'all must have a thread for this subject, lol.

So, I was thinking of how nice it would be if they released a Life and Crimes: Part 2, for things that were left off of the original, and things that have shown up since, in movies/TV or as bonus material, maybe some demos and outtakes.

Even the tunes I dislike, I'd want it included in the set. Even if it was a raw demo, or something recorded on an old cassette, preserve it, if only for historical context

Aside from that: The non-album tunes I listen to the most (that are not on Life and Crimes - for example, I enjoy the Monster Dog tracks, so I'm happy I have them there).

* "Next, Next" from Sextette - I really should not like this, it's not really my style, but I do, it's catchy and Alice sings it well. Don't know why it wasn't included on the original box, but in my mythical "L&C: 2", it'll be there.

* "Under the Bed" and "The Sharpest Pain" are two I play frequently on YouTube, they'd have place of honor in the collection.

* Also, those acoustic versions of classic songs from the "Who I Really Am" audiobook. I enjoyed several of those, and if not on a future boxset, how about releasing an EP?

I don't have clear ratings for you, suffice to say, I think highly of them.

forglasgowonly
Trash
Trash

Post by forglasgowonly » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:18 am

Slick Black Limousine ?

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:55 pm

forglasgowonly wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:18 am
Slick Black Limousine ?
In his book Dennis wrote about how Coal Black Model T (the original version of SBL) was the first song the ACG worked on for the BDB album and that the song originated with him. TBH I've never considered SBL to be good enough for the album but I do like the song.

Ted

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:50 pm

Ted Sallis wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:55 pm
forglasgowonly wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:18 am
Slick Black Limousine ?
In his book Dennis wrote about how Coal Black Model T (the original version of SBL) was the first song the ACG worked on for the BDB album and that the song originated with him. TBH I've never considered SBL to be good enough for the album but I do like the song.

Ted

One of the best things they ever recorded. To be honest this was better than anything on Muscle Of Love.

zzz
Trash
Trash

Post by zzz » Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:38 am

Agrophile in Texas wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:31 am
* Also, those acoustic versions of classic songs from the "Who I Really Am" audiobook. I enjoyed several of those, and if not on a future boxset, how about releasing an EP?
I've never heard of these, can you fill me in?

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:29 am

Who I Really Am: Diary of a Vampire is an Audible Original containing spoken words and music. In this case, acoustic guitar versions of several Alice songs.

https://www.audible.com/pd/Who-I-Really ... B09GZGQ64Q
About This Audible Original
Rock and roll in the BC (Before Cooper) era was a tamer, milder world. In Who I Really Am, Cooper’s latest addition to Audible’s Words + Music series, we learn how the boa-wearing (not the feathered kind) maestro arrived at a show and sound - let’s call it AC for After Cooper - that has entertained millions of kids while terrifying parents in equal measure. Cooper drew inspiration from Saturday matinee horror movies, applied a "no such thing as too much" attitude, and hitched it to a kick-ass rock and roll band. The shows were incredible, but the offstage antics might have been even more entertaining. Cooper generously shares you-had-to-be-there tales of the band’s early days in Hollywood and mythic all-nighters with rock’s premier luminaries. Also included are new recordings of the hits "I'm Eighteen", "School’s Out", and "Poison". Not many artists can claim credit for creating an entire style or genre. Don’t miss the chance to hear a consummate showman reveal that storytelling might be his greatest talent of all.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:08 pm

Has someone ever heard Nobody move from 1986? Is it a good song?
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:23 pm

I'm desperate to hear it, anything from constrictor up to last temptation i am desperate to hear demos/songs left off whatever.
I love chemical reaction and 4th street could talk. hard rock summer is a massive cheese fest but one i really, really enjoy. Man i love this era and so many tracks were left on the cutting room floor - the fact nobody move was finished and dropped at the last minute baffles me why it hasnt been put out on a special edition but thats a whole other problem.

If anyone has tracks off this era, i am desperate to hear them and a PM with links would be greatly appreciated.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:29 pm

i really enjoyed these versions too. Not just the basic acoustic version but a bit of thought seemed to have gone into the arrangements. i would like a cd of this stuff definitely

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:38 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:23 pm
I'm desperate to hear it, anything from constrictor up to last temptation i am desperate to hear demos/songs left off whatever.
I love chemical reaction and 4th street could talk. hard rock summer is a massive cheese fest but one i really, really enjoy. Man i love this era and so many tracks were left on the cutting room floor - the fact nobody move was finished and dropped at the last minute baffles me why it hasnt been put out on a special edition but thats a whole other problem.

If anyone has tracks off this era, i am desperate to hear them and a PM with links would be greatly appreciated.
Constrictor was not a big seller so it's unlikely to turn up anytime soon. It's on a test pressing that someone must have. More cheese I'm guessing.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:51 pm

More cheese I'm guessing.
i'm sure its what you class as more cheese, but i tell you what, its a prime bit of cheddar that i adore.
just frustrating when people like rock candy have expressed interest in doing these albums and they get refused. seems bizarre.

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:39 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:23 pm

I love almost everything between 1975 and 2005 (except Lace and whiskey) so I can understand you. I love Look at you over there, It Rained all night, Is anyone home? , Hard rock summer, See me in the mirror, Love transfusion, For britain only, The sharpest pain, Troubled love and every other special songs from this 30 years.
If somebedy would have this test pressing from Constrictor, he could share this song...or could sell his copy 😁
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

zzz
Trash
Trash

Post by zzz » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:19 pm

I've been dying to get my hands on a copy of Alice Cooper Presents Stoopid News for years. Most rare album/CD sites you come across don't have any info on it, I never see it on ebay or anything.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:10 pm

Probably a play once kind of thing.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:09 pm

cheers for the link, i kinda forgot all about this stoopid news promo thing. never heard it but would like to.
As you say pitkin, a listen once in a blue moon for sure, but nice to have and have heard you know?
And weirdly they might be cool as interludes on a compilation in the car :)

zzz
Trash
Trash

Post by zzz » Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:34 am

Sweet thanks for the link, I thought it wasn't on discogs for some reason. I'll keep my eye on that page

Yeah I have no doubt that I would very rarely listen to it, but I just think it's cool

There's also the recent Alice Cooper and the Tome of Madness spoken word album