Constrictor. How much of the lyrics did Alice write?

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Constrictor. How much of the lyrics did Alice write?

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:40 pm

After recently looking at the lyrics for TWNG I am wondering how much of that album Alice actually wrote. It is juvenille, bland, sexist and just plain awful. How can someone go from Former Lee Warmer to Thrill My Gorilla? Was Kane resonsible for the bulk of the lyrics? Was this a Kane album that Alice attached himself to? It certainly has none of the classic Alice touches. No finesse, no subtle humour and no intellect.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Constrictor. How much of the lyrics did Alice write?

Post by Saint&Sinner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:00 pm

I disagree, thrill my gorilla is almost certainly a kane song, but life and death of the party, crawlin, give it up etc i think all shine with the alice sexuality, darkness and wry wit.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Leaving Thrill my Gorilla aside it is OBVIOUSLY an Alice Cooper Album...

Alice has always been a sexual being, not only dark and humorous but a reflect of America's State and Constrictor does that job pretty Well.

Give it up is one hell of a song which I love for that reason.

Some people, specially in this forum, tends to glorify the Alice figure... and deny everything that Alice did that "they" specifically" didn't like. I would say the only Alice album that is not an Alice album would be trash, but it still had many themes of the Alice Cooper persona, just from another comercial point of view

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:06 am

I know that Alice went out of his way to dumb it all down for the hair metal audience but I agree that some of the lyrics on this album are just beneath Alice.

The two songs I've always felt were 100% Kane were Thrill My Gorilla and Simple Disobedience. Although the line "where were you when monkey turned to man" reeks of Alice.

The World Needs Guts reminds me of something that could have been written, at least lyrically, for Special Forces. The mention of "balls" and "sack" are very un-Alice like as he prided himself on working around curse words as he always felt a curse was too easy. Much like the golden age comedians made an art of getting around profanities. To be honest--it's the only thing I dislike in the song--as Alice has always been more wittier than that.

I think "Back To School" was all Alice lyrically as it was meant for the film and the nod to Rodney Dangerfield's catch phrase in the lyrics is pure Alice.

I'm tired tonight and have had a long week so I'll end it here and just say that I think Kane had quite a bit of input on the lyrics on this album. I do think that as juvenile as this album is that it is still and Alice Cooper record. I think if they had more time and a better budget it could have been much better but again--I think the main objective of that album was to get Alice back on the road and the tour is where they put their main efforts. I think all involved hoped the album did better than it did--but in the end I think all were more than happy with the overall results.

I'd still rate this album light years better than Trash!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:06 am

I know that Alice went out of his way to dumb it all down for the hair metal audience but I agree that some of the lyrics on this album are just beneath Alice.

The two songs I've always felt were 100% Kane were Thrill My Gorilla and Simple Disobedience. Although the line "where were you when monkey turned to man" reeks of Alice.

The World Needs Guts reminds me of something that could have been written, at least lyrically, for Special Forces. The mention of "balls" and "sack" are very un-Alice like as he prided himself on working around curse words as he always felt a curse was too easy. Much like the golden age comedians made an art of getting around profanities. To be honest--it's the only thing I dislike in the song--as Alice has always been more wittier than that.

I think "Back To School" was all Alice lyrically as it was meant for the film and the nod to Rodney Dangerfield's catch phrase in the lyrics is pure Alice.

I'm tired tonight and have had a long week so I'll end it here and just say that I think Kane had quite a bit of input on the lyrics on this album. I do think that as juvenile as this album is that it is still and Alice Cooper record. I think if they had more time and a better budget it could have been much better but again--I think the main objective of that album was to get Alice back on the road and the tour is where they put their main efforts. I think all involved hoped the album did better than it did--but in the end I think all were more than happy with the overall results.

I'd still rate this album light years better than Trash!