El Paso Album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

El Paso Album

Post by concolz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:44 am

Some weeks ago a Russian 'reissues' label (Lilith), released a 30-track, remastered(!), MP3 album of the El Paso radio broadcast show. Amazon UK have now listed a September release, for a 20-track CD version, on a different label (Zip City). As far as I'm aware, it's the first time this has ever been released as a 'grey area' album. https://goo.gl/Hb9AUR

As I understand it, the original broadcast omitted some of the El Paso songs, mixing in ten tracks from 'The Alice Cooper Show' instead. All/most of those titles are featured on the MP3/CD. Unless these labels have sought permission from Warner Brothers (or doubly substituted the same titles from a prior 'grey area' album), I'm puzzled how they can even semi-'legitimately' release those particular tracks.

Maybe I'm just being obtuse. Are the laws different for live albums; even ones owned by 'proper' record companies?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: El Paso Album

Post by Si » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:08 pm

concolz wrote:Some weeks ago a Russian 'reissues' label (Lilith), released a 30-track, remastered(!), MP3 album of the El Paso radio broadcast show. Amazon UK have now listed a September release, for a 20-track CD version, on a different label (Zip City). As far as I'm aware, it's the first time this has ever been released as a 'grey area' album. https://goo.gl/Hb9AUR

As I understand it, the original broadcast omitted some of the El Paso songs, mixing in ten tracks from 'The Alice Cooper Show' instead. All/most of those titles are featured on the MP3/CD. Unless these labels have sought permission from Warner Brothers (or doubly substituted the same titles from a prior 'grey area' album), I'm puzzled how they can even semi-'legitimately' release those particular tracks.

Maybe I'm just being obtuse. Are the laws different for live albums; even ones owned by 'proper' record companies?
As far as I know this one isn't even a "grey area". It's a bootleg at best, or even a pirate version if it includes officially released material from The Alice Cooper Show.
This isn`t the only one that has turned up on Amazon in this way either.

I think it's happening because Amazon aren`t bothering to check the legitimacy of what they allow people to list.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:07 pm

We had a big discussion on here, last year, regarding the three AC, '75-79, radio broadcast 'grey area' albums. This 'El Paso' release seems to be 'pushing the envelope' even further though. (I suppose their 'defence' would be that the 'ACS' tracks aren't directly lifted from the album, but from the radio show that broadcast them!)

There's an interesting 'Pitchfork' article about the recent explosion of bootleg vinyl, and legitimising of 'grey area' albums. http://goo.gl/rBxRi2

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks for that. Great read. In the case of El Paso ( great boot ) I doubt anyone cares ( well maybe Amuk ) and it's probably not worthing paying attorneys to shut it down.

The mystery and excitement of the live bootleg has almost evaporated due to first the cd and then the internet and then streaming. Dime A Dozen is probably the best named site ever.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:00 am

pitkin88 wrote:Thanks for that. Great read. In the case of El Paso ( great boot ) I doubt anyone cares ( well maybe Amuk ) and it's probably not worthing paying attorneys to shut it down.

The mystery and excitement of the live bootleg has almost evaporated due to first the cd and then the internet and then streaming. Dime A Dozen is probably the best named site ever.
On Dime a dozen you NEVER find official released material.If something is getting released officially they take it off. I think this is the reason they are "allowed" to keep the site running. A great site btw.
I have the official El PAso radioshow on vinyl and the sound is very good.
So if you wanna buy do it now because you never know how long it lasts.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:01 am

Too bad Warner/ Rhino doesn't acquire and release the King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcasts of some of the shows like San Diego 1979. A while back, several King Biscuit titles were released like Todd R and Utopia. The El Paso show and the Special Forces tour would also be great to have released legitimately with sonic upgrades.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:37 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:Too bad Warner/ Rhino doesn't acquire and release the King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcasts of some of the shows like San Diego 1979. A while back, several King Biscuit titles were released like Todd R and Utopia. The El Paso show and the Special Forces tour would also be great to have released legitimately with sonic upgrades.

These things should have happened years ago. Now they would hardly be money makers.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:59 pm

There are a couple of radio shows I'd love to see in pre-broadcast form. The Glasgow show from 1982 SF tour and the ABC radio broadcast of the Roostertail Club from 1971

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:01 pm

I just picked up this cd. I seen it on Amazon so I bought it & then after listening I came to the forum here & searched El Paso to read posts on it. My question is seeing that it's a radio broadcast were those tracks that are from the Alice Cooper Show actually played over the air when it was broadcast over the air or were they just added to the cd? If anyone has this cd...what's the deal with the way they spliced up Billion Dollar Babies/I Love the Dead? My final question is... was there a stage execution of Alice on the tour? I looked at other setlists from the tour & it don't look like I Love the Dead was played on the tour (I know on the cd it's from the Alice Cooper Show)...thanks just curious

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:36 pm

rtbuck wrote:I just picked up this cd. I seen it on Amazon so I bought it & then after listening I came to the forum here & searched El Paso to read posts on it. My question is seeing that it's a radio broadcast were those tracks that are from the Alice Cooper Show actually played over the air when it was broadcast over the air or were they just added to the cd? If anyone has this cd...what's the deal with the way they spliced up Billion Dollar Babies/I Love the Dead? My final question is... was there a stage execution of Alice on the tour? I looked at other setlists from the tour & it don't look like I Love the Dead was played on the tour (I know on the cd it's from the Alice Cooper Show)...thanks just curious
1. As far as I know that's the way it was originally broadcast. Tapes (an a vinyl bootleg) of the show have been in circulation for decades and included the AC Show tracks. I've never heard an authoritative reason why they did this and didn`t just air the full live show.

2. There wasn`t an execution on the FTF tour. I Love The Dead wasn`t played on the FTF tour.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:05 pm

Thank you Si! Yeah, when I got the cd yesterday I had high hopes when I looked at the tracklisting & Track #11 read this: 11)Billion Dollar Babies/I Love the Dead 9:24...I thought this might be an interesting medley but no...It was Billion Dollar Babies from the AC Show & right after Alice sings "Your little head will come off in my hands..." it cuts to the chorus from I Love the Dead from the AC Show then it starts ILTD from the beginning & after the guillotine snaps it goes back into Billion Dollar Babies again! LOL

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:24 pm

rtbuck wrote:Thank you Si! Yeah, when I got the cd yesterday I had high hopes when I looked at the tracklisting & Track #11 read this: 11)Billion Dollar Babies/I Love the Dead 9:24...I thought this might be an interesting medley but no...It was Billion Dollar Babies from the AC Show & right after Alice sings "Your little head will come off in my hands..." it cuts to the chorus from I Love the Dead from the AC Show then it starts ILTD from the beginning & after the guillotine snaps it goes back into Billion Dollar Babies again! LOL
That`s bizarre!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:07 pm

rtbuck wrote:Thank you Si! Yeah, when I got the cd yesterday I had high hopes when I looked at the tracklisting & Track #11 read this: 11)Billion Dollar Babies/I Love the Dead 9:24...I thought this might be an interesting medley but no...It was Billion Dollar Babies from the AC Show & right after Alice sings "Your little head will come off in my hands..." it cuts to the chorus from I Love the Dead from the AC Show then it starts ILTD from the beginning & after the guillotine snaps it goes back into Billion Dollar Babies again! LOL
Yeah that's the edit from the SGIC broadcast. They did all kinds of tricky editing on that show. Really butchered it. The seemingly endless loop of the WYWH instrumental is maddening.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:44 am

Toronto Bob wrote:

Yeah that's the edit from the SGIC broadcast. They did all kinds of tricky editing on that show. Really butchered it. The seemingly endless loop of the WYWH instrumental is maddening.
Wow...so it actually broadcasted like that!! WYWH was definitely maddening! Even that intro (which was from Elected) seemed to be on a bit of a butchered loop

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Yeah I think you're right - the Elected intro seems to be an editor's slight of hand.

What I did was take the El Paso tracks added the B-side Paris tracks and I Never Cry from Passaic NJ, jettisoned the ACS material and reordered the songs to match the Flush the Fashion tour set list. Voila! A complete FTF show (sort of) using my editing slight of hand but this makes more sense and is a far better listening experience.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:54 pm

Is there any version of this album with the genuine show?

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:25 am

I've never seen or heard of a full El Paso show existing.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:01 pm

Si wrote:
That`s bizarre!
It's really bizarre, and as rtbuck indicates the post-ILTD version of B$B is exactly the same as the first run.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:53 pm

In case anyone's not seen, the El Paso album is due for a vinyl release on 20th October. It's currently on Amazon UK for those interested.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by evil syd » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:07 am

I was fooled, BIG RIP OFF!!!! They should be sued!
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......