ELECTED 2016

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

ELECTED 2016

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:00 am

From the Home page ( thank you Si ). Pretty redundant IMHO. Not sure if this is Alice does Alice or Jagermeister or something new.

https://play.spotify.com/album/1IadYz4qxRsFvAM7yGgYRi

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: ELECTED 2016

Post by Lucius Morthem » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:33 am

it is Alice does Alice.... Why did they reupload this song???

What's the point?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:04 am

Lucius Morthem wrote:it is Alice does Alice.... Why did they reupload this song???

What's the point?
Thanks for the confirmation. As I said on the news page I hadn`t had a chance to compare but figured it probably was.
The "Vote Alice For Prime Minster" thing is what confused me most. If we were having an election it could be a good publicity angle but we aren't.
If it was "Vote Alice for President" then that would make more sense as there is an election in the US.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:14 am

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:49 am

Is this something to do with the theme for a new tour/album and the big annoucement?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:55 am

rgallie wrote:Is this something to do with the theme for a new tour/album and the big annoucement?
All we know is what has been posted.
I can`t see it is the new name for the tour, as they are still announcing shows under the "Spend The Night" banner and there has been "AC for president" merch on sale for a while now.
I think it's all just a new publicity thing.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:12 am

Am i missing something? What is this supposed to be promoting?

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:25 am

From While Heaven Wept:
"Am i missing something? What is this supposed to be promoting?"

The release (as a download or stream only, I think) of this version of "Elected".

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:43 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:From While Heaven Wept:
"Am i missing something? What is this supposed to be promoting?"

The release (as a download or stream only, I think) of this version of "Elected".
But isn`t that just the same version we have had for a few years now? The "Alice Does ALice" version? Which is turn is just an almost exact copy of the original.

I think it's just to promote the "Alice Cooper" brand. I don`t think they expect to sell a ton of "Elected" downloads, but it all helps to keep Alice in the public eye, which sells tickets and keeps things going.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:40 pm

From Si:
"But isn`t that just the same version we have had for a few years now? The "Alice Does ALice" version?"

Yes, I think so.

> Which is turn is just an almost exact copy of the original.

Well, that was sort of the point but that's a separate issue.

>I think it's just to promote the "Alice Cooper" brand. I don`t think they expect to sell a ton of "Elected" downloads, but it all helps to keep Alice in the public eye, which sells tickets and keeps things going.

Yes, exactly.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Why not just use the original classic instead of this sub par version?

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:38 pm

I enjoyed Alice Does Alice, but will happily admit that none of the tracks have toppled the originals on my 'Ultimate Alice' playlist.

I would have really liked to have seen him attempt this at the weakest part of his catalogue though.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:22 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:I enjoyed Alice Does Alice, but will happily admit that none of the tracks have toppled the originals on my 'Ultimate Alice' playlist.

I would have really liked to have seen him attempt this at the weakest part of his catalogue though.

The last thing we need is a remake of Trash.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:26 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
wind_up_toy wrote:I enjoyed Alice Does Alice, but will happily admit that none of the tracks have toppled the originals on my 'Ultimate Alice' playlist.

Trash definitely doesn't need revisiting (for 2 good reasons) ;)

I'd love to see him tidy up some of early 80's stuff though.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:17 pm

wind_up_toy wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:

Trash definitely doesn't need revisiting (for 2 good reasons) ;)

I'd love to see him tidy up some of early 80's stuff though.
There's nothing wrong with any of the early 1980s material. There is no need to "tidy up" any of it. Some of the material on those albums is the best of his career and is perfect just the way it is.

The only song that I think Alice should re-record is "Might As Well Be On Mars". It needs to be stripped of it's bloated, dated production and in need of a guitarist like Steve Hunter playing on it. I can still never understand why Wagner was not asked to play on the original recording. That song could have been legendary if it was done properly....but it's still not too late.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Also, I wouldn't complain if Alice re-recorded "The World Needs Guts" to give that song the justice it deserves. By far the best song on Constrictor, but completely gutted and destroyed by the ten dollar drum machine they used on the album.

Bring back Kane and the whole Nightmare Returns band for a proper treatment.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:42 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:Am i missing something? What is this supposed to be promoting?
I'm sure it has everything to do with the Presidential election in the USA. The election is sizing up to be an epic battle and come September will be wall-to-wall here in the USA.

I think Alice also is taking advantage of Cameron stepping down in the UK after Brexit, and although there is not an election, he is trying to take advantage of the political upheaval in the UK and tie it together with the USA...for promotion and to sell a few downloads.

Now it's been my belief that the whole "Alice Does Alice" recordings were done to free Alice and Shep from any contractual obligations to WB when it comes to royalties and licensing the original recordings of the songs. I'm sure Alice and Shep own these new recordings. It's also no surprise that he chose to record his biggest hits which would likely be purchased via download or picked up for licensing.

Warner Bros owns the original masters and rights to the original recordings. They would get a cut of each download of the original recordings or a contractually agreed amount for each licensing deal if the original recordings are used. With these new recordings being the sole property of Alice, Shep and I would also guess Bob Ezrin, they then get a bigger share of the pie and WB gets nothing.

The general public couldn't tell the difference between the two and some won't even care. Much has been made of how close these new recordings are to the originals, and that is by design. It's genius!

Alice and Shep are not the first to do it, but I think they have done it the right way in making almost exact copies of the originals. This is a perfect example of why Shep, Alice and Ezrin are very wealthy people. Again--genius!

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:58 pm

From mr,barlow:
"With these new recordings being the sole property of Alice, Shep and I would also guess Bob Ezrin, they then get a bigger share of the pie and WB gets nothing."

Yes, exactly.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:52 pm

Well I certainly appreciate where you're coming from Mr Barlow, and the material is indeed outstanding at times, but I'd personally love to hear a 21st centuary interpretation of some of these recordings.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:54 pm

Alice and Shep are not the first to do it, but I think they have done it the right way in making almost exact copies of the originals. This is a perfect example of why Shep, Alice and Ezrin are very wealthy people. Again--genius!
Perhaps it would have been more genius to own all the rights to the original recordings from the start.