His voice is too ugly to sing "Poison"

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Rocknroll
Trash
Trash

His voice is too ugly to sing "Poison"

Post by Rocknroll » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:44 pm

I really don't understand why "Poison" is among his most popular hits, his voice basically kills the song for me. His voice is far too ugly to sing a beautiful song like "Poison".

I think Trash is a good album, and I know his voice isn't supposed to sound attractive, yet Poison is a total miss and fail. I do think the melody itself is probably something of the best ever written -you know the song is beautiful.

Alice's best songs in my opinion are "Hell Is Living Without You" and "Hey Stoopid". Him singing about love don't do it for me. It's ironic because he's by far the best song writer out there.

mr.barlow

Re: His voice is too ugly to sing "Poison"

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:20 am

I hear it quite differently. Alice has one of the most distinctive voices in the history of music.

His "ugly" voice gave rock n roll some of it's greatest ballads in "Only Women Bleed", "I Never Cry" and " You & Me", and his voice is far from "ugly" on those songs.

What is "ugly" is the fact that Alice would lend his distinctive and original voice, along with his artistic credibility to such a cookie-cutter, lightweight hair metal turd like "Poison" and the whole damn Trash album.

I know it ended up being one his biggest hits and is loved by millions of fans, but it still is what it is---Alice Bon Jovi---not Alice Cooper.

I have a list of best Alice Cooper songs that changes from day to day--but never has any song from Trash ever appeared on my list. There is no way that anyone can ever make the case that any of those songs comes close to matching "My Stars", "Gutter Cat Vs. The Jets", "Go To Hell", "Steven", "Pass The Gun Around", etc. The best song from his foray into hair metal (1986-1991) would be "Might As Well Be On Mars" which was co-written by Dick Wagner.

I will say that "Raise Your Fist And Yell" stands out above the other Alice hair metal crap as it was more of an in-your-face heavy metal album. I look at that album as a stand alone album from that period. It contains some great writing both musically and lyrically.

"Posion" was beautiful for two reason---bringing Alice back to the very top and making him millions. That was beautiful!

Rocknroll
Trash
Trash

Post by Rocknroll » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:26 am

mr.barlow wrote:What is "ugly" is the fact that Alice would lend his distinctive and original voice, along with his artistic credibility to such a cookie-cutter, lightweight hair metal turd like "Poison" and the whole damn Trash album.

Alice's voice aside, I think Trash holds up very good compared to other 80's albums. The sound is high quality and there's a perfect blend between instruments and vocals. The album is from 1989 so that's probably the reason, I notice the same good quality with
Starship's Love Among The Cannibals -which was also from 1989.

I do agree however that Alice's work in the 70's is better. Pop rock isn't for him.
mr.barlow wrote:"Posion" was beautiful for two reason---bringing Alice back to the very top and making him millions. That was beautiful!
As I said, the song isn't great because of Alice's voice. It is however a excellent written melody, -just try and hum it for yourself and you'll see. It's by far my favorite non-singing melody.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:34 pm

You have a good taste Mr.Barlow. Steven, Pass The Gun Around, Go To Hell and My Stars are also my top Alice Cooper songs. I also think Trash is very Bon Jovi- esque. It doesn't have the sense or spirit of adventure that all his 70's albums have. In the 70's you never knew for sure what the next track on any Alice Cooper album will sound like unless you had already listened to an album from beginning to the end. There was an element of surprise when you heard jazzy tune like Blue Turk, aboriginal chant like Sun Arise, experimental horror of Killer or a musical parody like Give The Kid A Break.

Trash also has the most awful lyrics on any Alice Cooper album. "You had the fastest tongue in the west", ah okay. "Pull my trigger. I'll get bigger. Then I'm lots of fun. I'm your gun", yuck. His early 2000's industrial metal phase was way more intelligent. Songs had a message and lots of social commentary. I actually think some of Alice Cooper's best lyrics may be found on Brutal Planet and Dragontown.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:39 pm

From Rocknroll:
"Alice's best songs in my opinion are "Hell Is Living Without You" and "Hey Stoopid". Him singing about love don't do it for me."

The first song you refer to is "about love" though (and I agree with mr.barlow in empahasising the unintended irony in your original statement).

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:12 am

Rocknroll wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:What is "ugly" is the fact that Alice would lend his distinctive and original voice, along with his artistic credibility to such a cookie-cutter, lightweight hair metal turd like "Poison" and the whole damn Trash album.

Alice's voice aside, I think Trash holds up very good compared to other 80's albums. The sound is high quality and there's a perfect blend between instruments and vocals. The album is from 1989 so that's probably the reason, I notice the same good quality with
Starship's Love Among The Cannibals -which was also from 1989.

I do agree however that Alice's work in the 70's is better. Pop rock isn't for him.
mr.barlow wrote:"Posion" was beautiful for two reason---bringing Alice back to the very top and making him millions. That was beautiful!
As I said, the song isn't great because of Alice's voice. It is however a excellent written melody, -just try and hum it for yourself and you'll see. It's by far my favorite non-singing melody.
I think the production and overall sound of Trash doesn't even come close to matching any of Ezrin's work. "Billion Dollar Babies" is a groundbreaking album in many ways, including it's production. Trash sounds like a steaming pile when compared to B$B!

As far as "pop rock" not being for Alice, well in case you weren't paying attention, it was Alice Cooper that opened up the door for a lot of 1970s hard rock artists access to the pop music scene. Alice Cooper was the scourage of the music scene in the early 1970s, yet by the mid 1970s he was a beloved pop music celebrity. Alice Cooper WAS pop music! This opened up the door for a lot of other artists to follow and I'd make the argument led to the eventual popularity of hair metal and pop metal. A lot of that had to do with the hits on B$B and Welcome To My Nightmare and Ezrin's production and arrangements.

Also, I'd also make the argument that it was Alice Cooper that popularized hard rock bands doing love songs and ballads that were aimed at the pop rock market and which then became a staple of the genre.

Alice Cooper became a household name by entering the pop rock market, so to say "pop rock isn't for him" is just ridiculous.

My problem with "Poison" and "Trash" is that it was not genuine. Alice's albums however great, average or awful were always Alice Cooper records. They contained honest Alice elements in the sound and lyrics. They were all GENUINE. That can't be said for Trash. It was a contrived piece of crap that was meticulously researched, written and marketed with only one thing in mind--to get Alice back on top.

Alice and Shep thankfully succeeded and should be applauded for it. The only problem is--at least for me--Alice had completely lost his originality. He became just another face in the soulless camp of hair metal with an album that sounded like it could have been recorded by any one of those ridiculous bands of the era.

I will say that Poison is the best song on the album and not a bad song overall, but it doesn't even come close to matching even some of Alice's worst efforts. As far as the melody of "Poison" is concerned, it obviously was effective as it became such a huge hit and is easily memorable. Again--my problem with the song is it's just not genuinely Alice.

Here's something that proves my point. Listen to any live show Alice has performed since the Trash tour. Poison sticks out like a thorn in the set. I know it gets a huge response and is loved by the fans, and I agree it must be included as it's one of his biggest hits, but still--it just doesn't fit.

Any of the songs from hair metal albums like Constrictor or Raise Your Fist blend right in as do ones from Hey Stoopid, the reason being these were genuinely Alice Cooper. Trash on the other hand was Alice doing Bon Jovi. They lacked all things that make Alice so original and unique.

Rocknroll
Trash
Trash

Post by Rocknroll » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:48 am

mr.barlow wrote:I think the production and overall sound of Trash doesn't even come close to matching any of Ezrin's work. "Billion Dollar Babies" is a groundbreaking album in many ways, including it's production. Trash sounds like a steaming pile when compared to B$B!

My point was Trash sounds better because it was recorded at end of the 80's era. Had it been recorded in 1987 for instance, the sound quality wouldn't be as good.
mr.barlow wrote:Alice Cooper became a household name by entering the pop rock market, so to say "pop rock isn't for him" is just ridiculous.
Trash and Hey Stoopid = Pop rock

Pop rock is basically a more mainstream type of rock. Metallica and Pink Floyd for instance is not pop rock. Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Van Halen and Alice's Trash and Hey Stoopid on the other hand is pop rock.

Alice basically changed music style with Trash and Hey Stoopid -as he wanted to be put on the map again. However Trash wasn't really a success in the US. "Poison" was a #7 on the Billboard chart, not really impressive.

As I see it, Trash was more a European success, than a national success.
mr.barlow wrote:Poison sticks out like a thorn in the set. I know it gets a huge response and is loved by the fans, and I agree it must be included as it's one of his biggest hits, but still--it just doesn't fit.
It doesn't fit because Alice's voice is too ugly to sing such a beautiful song.
mr.barlow wrote:Any of the songs from hair metal albums like Constrictor or Raise Your Fist blend right in as do ones from Hey Stoopid, the reason being these were genuinely Alice Cooper. Trash on the other hand was Alice doing Bon Jovi. They lacked all things that make Alice so original and unique.
I find it interesting how you think Hey Stoopid was a better album than Trash. I think both albums are very similar. However Trash is much darker, with songs like- Hell Is Living Without You, Bed of Nails, Poison, Only My Heart Talkin' and House of Fire.

I've never ever liked a Bon Jovi song. I hate "Livin' on a Prayer" with a passion. It's pop rock yes, but way too cheesy.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:50 am

Rocknroll wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:I think the production and overall sound of Trash doesn't even come close to matching any of Ezrin's work. "Billion Dollar Babies" is a groundbreaking album in many ways, including it's production. Trash sounds like a steaming pile when compared to B$B!

My point was Trash sounds better because it was recorded at end of the 80's era. Had it been recorded in 1987 for instance, the sound quality wouldn't be as good.
The "School's Out" album was recorded in 1972 and "Billion Dollar Babies" in 1972-1973 and both sound light years better both in sound quality and overall production than "Trash" recorded in 1988.
mr.barlow wrote:Alice Cooper became a household name by entering the pop rock market, so to say "pop rock isn't for him" is just ridiculous.
Rocknroll wrote:Trash and Hey Stoopid = Pop rock
Rocknroll wrote:Pop rock is basically a more mainstream type of rock. Metallica and Pink Floyd for instance is not pop rock. Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Van Halen and Alice's Trash and Hey Stoopid on the other hand is pop rock.
You are correct--both those albums along with Constrictor were pop rock albums. However, Alice Cooper was a pop rock artist as far back as 1972. The song 'School's Out" could be considered the band's first pop rock hit. The original band and Erzin capitalized on moving the band into the mainstream and pop markets with B$B with "No More Mr. Nice Guy" and "Elected". The transition was complete when Alice went solo with "Welcome To My Nightmare" and the huge pop hit ballad of "Only Women Bleed".

Alice Cooper was then basically a pop rock artist up until the release of "Flush The Fashion". Even with that album Alice was trying to stay in the pop market with the new wave sound but was not successful. Fast forward to Trash which had him again finding mainstream pop success. So again--please explain how "pop rock isn't for him".

Rocknroll wrote:Alice basically changed music style with Trash and Hey Stoopid -as he wanted to be put on the map again. However Trash wasn't really a success in the US. "Poison" was a #7 on the Billboard chart, not really impressive.
Really? Poison was Billboard Top 10 hit is not success? The album made the Top 20 albums in the USA. What do you consider a success? It is certified Platinum--sold in exceess of 1,000,000 units in the USA alone. Again--what do you consider being a success in the USA?
Rocknroll wrote:As I see it, Trash was more a European success, than a national success.
Trash was one of Alice's biggest albums in the USA.
mr.barlow wrote:Poison sticks out like a thorn in the set. I know it gets a huge response and is loved by the fans, and I agree it must be included as it's one of his biggest hits, but still--it just doesn't fit.
Rocknroll wrote:It doesn't fit because Alice's voice is too ugly to sing such a beautiful song.
Poison is as beautiful as Roseanne Barr.

mr.barlow wrote:Any of the songs from hair metal albums like Constrictor or Raise Your Fist blend right in as do ones from Hey Stoopid, the reason being these were genuinely Alice Cooper. Trash on the other hand was Alice doing Bon Jovi. They lacked all things that make Alice so original and unique.
Rocknroll wrote:I find it interesting how you think Hey Stoopid was a better album than Trash. I think both albums are very similar. However Trash is much darker, with songs like- Hell Is Living Without You, Bed of Nails, Poison, Only My Heart Talkin' and House of Fire.
All of the songs you mentioned are in no way "dark" in lyrical content or theme. They all deal with love and sex. Typical hair metal awfulness aimed at horny teenagers.
Rocknroll wrote:I've never ever liked a Bon Jovi song. I hate "Livin' on a Prayer" with a passion. It's pop rock yes, but way too cheesy.
Well Trash was co-written by the guy who co-wrote ALL of those Bon Jovi songs. That's why Trash in it's entirety sounds like a cheesy Bon Jovi album.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:24 am

:teach:
:rock: :clap: :clap: :clap: :alice:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:32 am

From Rocknroll:
>Had it been recorded in 1987 for instance, the sound quality wouldn't be as good.

This makes no sense.

Rocknroll
Trash
Trash

Post by Rocknroll » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:59 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:From Rocknroll:
>Had it been recorded in 1987 for instance, the sound quality wouldn't be as good.

This makes no sense.
Yes it does. There's a big difference between an album released in 1987 and one released in 1989. With each year, studio album quality got better and better.
mr.barlow wrote:Really? Poison was Billboard Top 10 hit is not success? The album made the Top 20 albums in the USA. What do you consider a success? It is certified Platinum--sold in exceess of 1,000,000 units in the USA alone. Again--what do you consider being a success in the USA?
"Poison"

US Billboard Hot 100 - 7

Canadian RPM Top Singles - 39

Germany Singles Chart - 25

UK Singles Chart - 2

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:53 pm

From Rocknroll:
"There's a big difference between an album released in 1987 and one released in 1989. With each year, studio album quality got better and better."

So, you're saying that between those two years, the leap in technology was so huge that it would have made a "difference". At this point, I don't think anyone can take any of your future posts seriously.

Rocknroll
Trash
Trash

Post by Rocknroll » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:06 pm

"There's a big difference between an album released in 1987 and one released in 1989. With each year, studio album quality got better and better."

So, you're saying that between those two years, the leap in technology was so huge that it would have made a "difference". At this point, I don't think anyone can take any of your future posts seriously.

Then you're clearly deaf. I can easily hear difference between a song from 1989 and songs from 1980-1988.

What is your problem anyway? Does it bother you I have the ability to hear when a song was recorded? It's your loss, not mine.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:09 pm

Two great quotes- "Poison is as beautiful as Roseanne Barr" and " At this point, I don't think anyone can take any of your future posts seriously."
I agree with Andy, there was no giant leap in recording technology between those two years. Rocknroll, I think I see your point if you mean the overuse of reverbs, noise gates, synths, drum programming, etc..on albums recorded in '85 and '86 compared to 1989. Otherwise, the technology was almost certainly the same. Peace.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:22 pm

Ignoring the subgenre and sound quality discussion, I have to say that my appreciation for Trash grows more and more all the time, and I'd go as far to say it is reaching my top 5 favourite Alice Cooper albums.

I don't have a wide variety of taste in music compared to most people here. 99% of my listening is metal, with hard rock rounding out the rest, but I've always found that Alice can't be characterized as having one sound. Obviously the band got popular for doing a certain thing, but there was always variety in what they did, and if you follow it through his various eras, there has been a wide breadth of sounds across all of his albums. Sure, Trash was him doing Bon Jovi/glam metal in general, but I don't feel that it's disingenuous. He has often done similar things (look at 1980-1982 for one example, RYFAY is another as metal was getting heavier, then the significant shift in sound for TLT, and then again for the more industrial albums). Part of Alice's career is having a lot of diversity, and Trash is a fair representation of that.

In terms of quality itself, Alice is up there with any of the classic hair metal stuff. Only Skid Row can exceed him in that area, but otherwise, he can compete with Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Dokken, Motley Crue, Ratt, etc. The lyrics are a little cringy, only because Alice was in his 40s singing about this kind of stuff, and most of the other bands were young kids in their 20s, but that makes it funnier to me (I consider metal to be a pretty over the top/ridiculous subgenre, so I appreciate absurdity in music). The melodies are so on point in nearly every song, and everything is about as catchy as can be. The underrated facet of this album is the riffs. "Why Trust You" has some of the most lethal riffs in any metal song, and "Bed of Nails" has tons of great riffs too. "Spark In The Dark" is another one of my favourite riffs. Great album all around!

Edit: I didn't really address the topic at hand here: his voice is grittier and less virtuosic than a lot of similar bands of the era, but that just makes Trash a more unique record.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:40 pm

Rocknroll wrote:

Then you're clearly deaf. I can easily hear difference between a song from 1989 and songs from 1980-1988.

What is your problem anyway? Does it bother you I have the ability to hear when a song was recorded? It's your loss, not mine.
I once knew a guy who claimed that if he put a seashell up against his ear he could hear the ocean. The only problem was his hearing wasn't good enough to figure out which ocean he was listening to.

My hearing is so good that I hear voices that nobody else seems to hear! It's been driving me crazy for years!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:55 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Rocknroll wrote:

I once knew a guy who claimed that if he put a seashell up against his ear he could hear the ocean. The only problem was his hearing wasn't good enough to figure out which ocean he was listening to.

My hearing is so good that I hear voices that nobody else seems to hear! It's been driving me crazy for years!

I once put a seashell up to my ear and heard Billy Ocean. I immediately threw it backk into the water.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:16 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I once put a seashell up to my ear and heard Billy Ocean. I immediately threw it backk into the water.

post of the day!!

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:56 pm

Oh look, it's this months trash Trash thread.

:rotfl:

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:01 am

Maaki wrote:Oh look, it's this months trash Trash thread.

:rotfl:
:x
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - George Santayana :evil:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...