Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

qbertnernie74
Trash
Trash

New "Alice Cooper Eras" Podcast - Special 6 Part Series

Post by qbertnernie74 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Hello!

I wanted all of you to know about a great new 6 part podcast series covering the entire AC discography that will pop the buckle off your Bible Belt. (Thanks Sick Things for posting this as part of your 4/2 news update!)

It is broken down into 6 eras.

Part 1 and 2 are out now. The rest are already recorded and coming out over the next few weeks.

It has been put together and edited with care by lifelong AC fans and I am sure it will be appreciated by the forum.

Please see the iTunes and Soundcloud links below.

Era 1: OG
SoundCloud

iTunes

Era 2: Concept
SoundCloud

iTunes

Sincerely,

LC

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Re: New "Alice Cooper Eras" Podcast - Special 6 Part Series

Post by mestreech » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:00 am

sounds interesting.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:22 pm

Sounds great and look forward to it. It will be nice to hear discussion about the early 80's Alice period.

qbertnernie74
Trash
Trash

Post by qbertnernie74 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:15 am

Update - NEW EPISODE!

Alice Cooper Ep 3: The Lost Era 80-83 | We discuss the era the public and Alice doesn't remember. Albums - Flush the Fashion, Special Forces, Zipper Catches Skin, DaDa. Chris of Decibel Geek Podcast and Joey of Rock Strikes Ten join in on the fun with Bakko and Loose Cannon.

iTunes

SoundCloud

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Thank you. I've enjoyed listening to all three episodes. From each of the 'eras' so far, my track & album choices are:-

ACG
Best - 'HoF'/'Killer'
Worst - 'Woman Machine'/NONE!

AC '70s
Best - 'The Quiet Room'/'WTMN'
Worst - 'Damned If You Do'/'L&W'

AC 'Lost'
Best - 'Pass The Gun'/'Dada'
Worst - 'I Am The Future'/'ZCS'

I'll be really struggling for any 'bests' in the hair-metal years!

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:00 pm

I'll be really struggling for any 'bests' in the hair-metal years!
Just throw a dart, you cant help but find gold (gorilla thrills not withstanding)

:)

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:26 pm

The early 80's episode was great. Look forward to the next one.Raise Your Fist and Yell is one of my favorite Alice albums.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:26 am

I'm enjoying it to.
I think my choices might be

ACG
Best. Blue Turk / Killer
Worst. Really hard but I'll go with Raped n Freezing / BDB (I like it it's just my least favorite)

Solo Alice
Best. Steven / FTI
Worst. Damned if you do / L&W

Lost years

Best. Pass the Gun Around / Dada
Worst. Prettiest Cop on the Block / Flush The Fashion

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:32 am

Babysquid wrote:I'm enjoying it to.
I think my choices might be

ACG
Best. Blue Turk / Killer
Worst. Really hard but I'll go with Raped n Freezing / BDB (I like it it's just my least favorite)

Solo Alice
Best. Steven / FTI
Worst. Damned if you do / L&W

Lost years

Best. Pass the Gun Around / Dada
Worst. Prettiest Cop on the Block / Flush The Fashion
I might have to change my opinion on FTF as I just put it on (hasn't listened to it in years) and I really enjoyed it.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:56 am

Really enjoyed the latest episode, thanks guys :)

qbertnernie74
Trash
Trash

Post by qbertnernie74 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Ep 4 - 80's Comeback Era

We've got an ep that will Thrill Your Gorilla and make you think: If our Podcast was a lollipop ..would you lick it? We debate the 80's Comeback Era when a newly sober Alice (He's Back!) returns after many lost years.

The albums Constrictor, Raise Your Fist, Trash & Hey Stoopid are discussed along with a deep analysis of the track Wind-Up Toy and we highlight many of Alice's great ballads.

Hosts Bakko and Loose Cannon are joined by Joey of the Rock Strikes Ten Podcast and Rob of the pop culture site Criticult.

Criticult: criticultredux.wordpress.com
Rock Strikes Ten: rockstrikesten.cnjradio.com

Listen to Ep 4: Comeback Era via Soundcloud

Listen via iTunes

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:46 pm

I've just listened; very telling that it's the only episode (so far) to play a number of songs from previous 'eras', implying that there's not enough good stuff from '86-'91 to fill a programme!

I hated 'Constrictor' from the moment I first played it: tinny, thin production; one dimensional lyrics; THAT guitar sound, plus a crap cover. It soon went to the local charity shop, and I didn't bother buying 'RYFAY'.

Getting caught up in the excitement of 'Poison' charting, I did buy 'Trash' - BIG mistake! Along with Bowie's 'Let's Dance', it's one of the most cynically calculated albums I've ever heard; certainly the most aptly titled. I ended up chucking it in the bin!

Initially I thought 'Hey Stoopid' was quite a good album, but ultimately realised that much of it is as contrived, and soulless, as the previous three records; another candidate for the charity shop.

Best track/album - 'Poison'/None!
Worst track - most of them, but I hold a special contempt for 'Trash' and 'I'm Your Gun'.

qbertnernie74
Trash
Trash

Post by qbertnernie74 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:03 pm

For fans of Alice's "Lost Era" you should check out the spectacular Dada "Unleashed" interview with Dick Wagner by Decibel Geek. Chris of Decibel Geek also did the intro to our Lost Era ep. "Albums Unleashed" covers the stories behind the songs, circumstances, and creative process from a major player in an album's creation. And to start things off, we're covering Alice Cooper's DaDa album with special guest Dick Wagner.

Released in 1983, DaDa was, for all intents and purposes, dead on arrival due to being the final album in Cooper's contract with Warner Brothers as well as the out-of-the-box style of songs. Part art-rock, part esoteric/theatrical concept, DaDa's synthesizer-infused production combined with a healthy amount of humor crossed with dark subject matter left 1983 audiences confused; and they weren't the only ones.

The early 80's were a self-professed "blackout" period for Alice Cooper with the rocker going as far as saying that he barely even remembers the songwriting process or production of this album. Cooper's lack of recollection has led many die-hard Cooper fans to create their own theories as to the concept behind DaDa. Guitarist/composer Dick Wagner, a longtime collaborator of Alice's, was the principal songwriter on this album and was kind enough, while in Nashville in May of 2014, to sit down with Aaron and Chris to discuss the entire album track by track and memory by memory.

You cand find this as ep 134 of Decibel Geek on iTunes, Stitcher, etc and at this link:

http://dbgeekshow.blogspot.com/2014/04/ ... er-ep.html

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:44 pm

concolz wrote:I've just listened; very telling that it's the only episode (so far) to play a number of songs from previous 'eras', implying that there's not enough good stuff from '86-'91 to fill a programme!

I hated 'Constrictor' from the moment I first played it: tinny, thin production; one dimensional lyrics; THAT guitar sound, plus a crap cover. It soon went to the local charity shop, and I didn't bother buying 'RYFAY'.

Getting caught up in the excitement of 'Poison' charting, I did buy 'Trash' - BIG mistake! Along with Bowie's 'Let's Dance', it's one of the most cynically calculated albums I've ever heard; certainly the most aptly titled. I ended up chucking it in the bin!

Initially I thought 'Hey Stoopid' was quite a good album, but ultimately realised that much of it is as contrived, and soulless, as the previous three records; another candidate for the charity shop.

Best track/album - 'Poison'/None!
Worst track - most of them, but I hold a special contempt for 'Trash' and 'I'm Your Gun'.

While I certainly respect your opinion, I have to respectfully disagree. I loved this period of Alice. "Crawlin" and "Might As Well Be on Mars" are two of Alice's best songs ever in my opinion and Raise Your Fist and Yell and Hey Stoopid would both probably crack my Top 10 list of Alice albums ever. I personally enjoyed Constrictor as well but would have liked to have heard real drums on that album and Trash was a good straight ahead record in my opinion. It got Alice back on the charts and won him a new fanbase. Hard to complain about that. I still listen to RYFAY and Hey Stoopid on a regular basis. Though they played some songs from different eras, this episode was the longest episode they have had on Alice so that is part of the reason as well.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Just finished the 4th one. All of these have been great. I liked the last one the best because that is probably my favourite era (or at least by far the #2 after the original), and because I thought that was the most in-depth one. I really liked how you guys ended up going through pretty much every album sequentially on that one, whereas with the other 3 podcasts it felt kind of sparse on certain albums (Love it to Death, Goes To Hell, and Special Forces didn't seem to get a lot of discussion on the first 3 podcasts). Nevertheless, I really enjoyed all of them, and learned a couple of things along the way too.

Favourite album/song and least favourite for each era:

OG
Favourite: Killer / I'm Eighteen
Least: Muscle of Love

Solo Alice
Favourite: WTMN / Steven
Least: From The Inside (or Goes to Hell, can't really decide)

Lost Era
Favourite: Flush the Fashion/Pain
Least: Special Forces

Comeback Era
Favourite: Hey Stoopid / Dangerous Tonight
Least: Constrictor

As a metal guy, I love the comeback era. All 4 albums are amazing, and have tons of underrated songs. I can't remember who said it, but one of you guys called out Hell Is Living Without You as being one of his better songs and that is completely on point. I disagree on the point about Hurricane Years being a weaker track though. Easily one of my favourites from that record.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:50 am

Favorite album/song and least favorite for each era:

OG
Favorite: Billion Dollar Babies/Billion Dollar Babies
Least: Muscle of Love (but not bad)

Solo Alice
Favorite: From the Inside/Wish You Were Here
Least: Lace and Whiskey

Lost Era
Favorite: Dada/Clones
Least: Zipper Catches Skin

Comeback Era
Favorite: Trash (but none of these albums ranks high) / Dangerous Tonight
Least: Constrictor

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:31 am

Favorite album/song and least favorite album/song for each era

ACG
Favorite: School's Out/ My Stars (It was difficult to choose)
Least: Muscle Of Love/Mary Ann(or maybe Woman Machine)

Solo Alice
Favorite: From The Inside/Steven
Least: Lace And Whiskey/Ubangi Stomp

Lost Era
Favorite: Dada/Pass The Gun Around
Least: Special Forces/You're A Movie
(Special Forces is still the crappiest and most underwhelming album ever released by Alice Cooper. There are so many misfires on that album)

Comeback Era
Favorite: Raise Your Fist And Yell/Roses On White Lace
Least Favorite: Trash/I'm Your Gun (yet still better album than Special Forces)

qbertnernie74
Trash
Trash

Post by qbertnernie74 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:40 am

Thanks for all the feedback. The great thing about Alice is how many styles And eras that everyone has as a favorite. Yes we played less music in the beginning because were just pretty much focusing on our pics but it's been a lot of fun adding other songs from the eras. Expect that more on the last two episodes. Also here's a fun fact. We recorded all this in one night and then edited it all together and added others for the intros. Share with your friends!

qbertnernie74
Trash
Trash

Post by qbertnernie74 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:29 am

New ep!

Era 5: Alice Cooper - Morality Era (94 -01) We discuss the albums Last Temptation, Brutal Planet & Dragontown in this super-sized ep loaded with great music and banter. Rob Kern of Loud, Drunk & Angry and From Out of Nowhere joins along with Joey of Rock Strikes Ten.

In the first part of the ep we begin discussing the Morality Era with Rob Kern, a man who lacks a moral compass. We had a structured plan for a 20 minute intro but quickly turns into madness. And podcast gold.

The second part with Joey we get more detailed about the era but is just as ridiculous.

SoundCloud

iTunes

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:27 pm

I thought the 'Morality Era' episode was the least interesting so far; not because of Alice's music, but due to the broadcasters. It was akin to one of those awful triple albums - sprawling, self-indulgent tedium.

As for AC's music from this TLT/BP/DT period, then my choices are:-

Best Brutal Planet/Wicked Young Man
Worst Dragontown/Sister Sara

There was a time when I thought 'Dragontown' was a (mostly) good album; but no more. Not having heard it for some time, I gave it a spin a few months ago - and was underwhelmed. The more I've played it since, the less I've liked it! Now, quite a lot of it sounds stodgy, plodding and dated.