Re: Alice writing with Mike, Neal, Den.

Post by dadascot » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:20 pm

That's sounding really promising

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:23 pm

A few songs is better than nothing and actually a few more than I thought would happen.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:30 pm

Alice is truly in denial or tries too hard to sugarcoat things to the public as the "spokesman" for Alice Cooper. His constant insistence that there has never been bad blood between him and his former partners is flat-out untrue. It would demonstrate greater character on his part to not patronize the frustrations showed by his former band mates by at least acknowledging them.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:44 pm

During last nights "Nights with Alice Cooper" broadcast he played a new Santana track which was their first song recorded together with the original band since 1971, he commented, "I tried that but someone didn't wanna come along for the ride". Take from that whatever you can I guess.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:57 pm

I've long since stopped believing what Alice says in interviews. It's the same old tales and 'misrememberings'.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:26 pm

jacknifejohnny wrote:During last nights "Nights with Alice Cooper" broadcast he played a new Santana track which was their first song recorded together with the original band since 1971, he commented, "I tried that but someone didn't wanna come along for the ride". Take from that whatever you can I guess.
That may be true but there are a few things at play here. He may have tried "that" but maybe someone wants absolute equal footing, or maybe someone feels they need a full accounting of the past and maybe some amends and apologies are in order. I'm speaking in a general sense not to anyone or about anything specifically. Everyone seems to have a different reality - it's tough dealing with someone if they invent or re-write the past. Again not singling anyone out.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:03 pm

In the interview I read he mentions writing with Michael Bruce. As to where it leads from here it will have to be seen. Like I have said in other threads, I don't expect to ever see a full-blown reunion but rather occasional shows or guest apprearances by orginal members.

I would also suspect that any new songs from the original band will wind up on Alice's new solo album. However, I don't think it matters much as to where the songs end up as the days of the long play album are just about over and we have gone back to the days of the single. I could see an original band song being released as a single and marketed as such.

I think the Grammy appearance and the release of "As Bad As I Am' as a download demonstrates it perfectly. I am not sure of the number of downloads bought, but I would be quite assured in saying that it likely outsold every other cut and quite possibly the album itself. Maybe someone --Steven Crayn--can post the sales numbers if they have access to them.

I think that "As Bad As I Am" could be a pivitol point in this late career resurgence of Alice. He is getting TONS of press and the song has been very well received. This bodes well for anything being done by Alice and the original band members.

I was one of the people who was none-too thrilled with the whole Hollywood Vampires project----namely the whole cover songs idea. But, it may turn out that it could be the project that brings Alice to yet another generation. Who would have ever thought?

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:18 pm

I agree, overall this is excellent news. An album of new material by HV is promising, especially with songwriting divided among the band including Joe Perry.

I'm not as excited about 2-3 songs on the next solo album by the original band. The reason I was hoping for a full band album is the sound of the album would have been defined by a cohesive band approach. Instead, like W2MN, it looks like we'll see a splintered approach, music all over the place, which dragged down that album.

Lucius Morthem
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Lucius Morthem » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:39 pm

I Only hope... and please don't kill me... That Bob Ezrin could step aside...

I think he is no longer doing anything great along Alice...
Just My Honest Opinion

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:58 pm

Lucius Morthem wrote:I Only hope... and please don't kill me... That Bob Ezrin could step aside...

Just My Honest Opinion
I agree

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:23 am

Lucius Morthem wrote:I Only hope... and please don't kill me... That Bob Ezrin could step aside...

Just My Honest Opinion
Me too

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:50 am

Obviously, Alice & the band had a falling out period after the breakup. Egos were bruised, divergent plans for their future albums/ tours, and all that goes with a band disbanding. To their credit, it was never a nasty feud played out through the media like Tyler/ Perry, Jagger/Richards, Lennon / McCartney. In the past few years, they've all seem to embrace their past accomplishments and relationships, a benefit of older age which makes one realize that time is precious. There was no point in reuniting, say in 1980 as an example, but now, I'm sure they're enjoying the renewals of their friendships and working relationships. We all know that the original band was phenomenal and Alice wouldn't have had a solo career if not for that fact. On the other hand, the other guys have enjoyed royalties on albums and songs due in large part from Alice performing non-stop for all of these years.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:43 am

mr.barlow wrote: However, I don't think it matters much as to where the songs end up as the days of the long play album are just about over
I think this was said about vinyl in the late 80's early '90's. The album is far from dead. It's maybe not the commercial force it was at its peak but as a creative canvas for artists it remains potent.
It's great that they're all writing together again.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:17 pm

I am happy to hear this news. I think it could make for a good album if they are indeed truly collaborating and not pulling ideas from the other guys previous albums "made to fit Alice" like on W2MN. They were pretty much the only songs I liked, but that album just felt completely disjointed. If they actually have collaborated though, he could steer the songs into fitting a cohesive album. If he had the songs with the original members done before the solo band's writing begun, he could steer them into writing songs that fit with what has already been written.

I also agree that Ezrin isn't needed. If Alice wants to keep him around, he can do it for the second HV album which I have not one ounce of desire to hear.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Good news- I think there was bad blood at one time- evidenced by MB's No More Nr Nice Guy ist edition book and there have been a few acidic comments towards Alice but that is the past. On the subject of Bob Ezrin's involvement if not him who as producer Desmond Child, Foster? lol (I would go for Jack White myself)
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:36 am

I am happy for the band doing three songs but wish it was a full album. As someone said at least we would have a uniform sound. I am tired of too many guest musicians and too many guitarists on one song. I hope for no more comedy songs too.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:18 am

pitkin88 wrote:I am happy for the band doing three songs but wish it was a full album. As someone said at least we would have a uniform sound. I am tired of too many guest musicians and too many guitarists on one song. I hope for no more comedy songs too.
Not happy with band doing 3 songs but better than nothing- agree re uniform sound and I have never got the joke with Alice comedy records! Looking forward to new stuff :rock:
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:30 am

Whilst W2MN has diversity in it's style, I can't quite hear a lack of uniformity when it comes to the sound.
In fact, I get a sense it has it's own rather strong production taste that's unique and consistent throughout the album, despite how much the style of music changed.

andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by andyrew » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:39 pm

Always exciting news when Alice announces he is working on a new album. Even better when we get two...mind you, it's been almost 5 years since his last solo album and Hollywood Vampires took a while to actually be released.

I agree that an album should stay consistent with the same musicians playing on every song. I have a feeling this album is going to be a straight up rock record since Alice has stated he wants to create a "band record", but who knows. Since there will be another Hollywood Vampires album there will probably be mostly original songs with some covers. He may want to have 2 contrasting albums, one that continues to show the creepy side of the Alice persona (with the original band members and his current ones playing on a few songs),and the Hollywood Vampires album showing his hard rock edge. I wonder where that song he recorded with Marilyn Manson fits in all this.

I don't have a problem with Bob Ezrin helming again, as long as he doesn't go into the "overly humourous" territory that makes it seem like Alice is being a parody of himself. This one needs to be serious. I really like Megadeth's new album - Dystopia...it's catchy and it balances the humourous and the serious songs well. It would be great to hear a concept album about an apocalyptic world - similar to Brutal Planet, but different enough with new takes on the dangers of our actions. Alice has the creepy voice to make it all work.

If not, I would love for him to release an album similar to Hey Stoopid. If he wants to get different musicians on his solo album, maybe the Night Shift concept would work...