This Pink Floyd Orchestral Album

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mr.barlow

Re: This Pink Floyd Orchestral Album

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:48 am

I don't think Alice has ever used auto-tune as there is no need for it as he can actually sing. Also, in his live performances you can hear some flaws the occasional off-key notes.

I'd be surprised to learn if Ezrin would even allow it to be used in his productions.

Now..I've been a fan since 1980-1981 and I must say that this Pink Floyd tribute album has to be the WORST thing I have ever heard Alice record. I'd go so far to say it's embarrassing. Roger Waters should sue the producer!

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:27 am

On some of the more recent albums/projects it does sound like Alice's vocals are "sweetened" in some places. So he might not rely on autotune but it's possible some "fixes" are done here and there.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:42 am

patrick wrote: Tried to listen to Welcome to the Machine....and stopped halfway..
I don't think Alice's voice suites this music..
WOW that's horrible - I didnt even make half way - will be saving my money on this one

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:26 pm

Let's see Gails Friend defend this one.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Si wrote:Have A Cigar is on Spotify (as a single) but strangely is instrumental...
Think Alice might have sung this one well- trouble is the line about which one's Pink would probably have brought back conspiracy theory discussion re Alice Cooper the group splitting up- mind you he could have sung " by the way which one is Alice" - only kidding folks lol

As for Welcome to the Machine, I couldn't listen all the way through either which is rare for me but not end of the world. Alice can sing anything he wants- some of it I still like after 40 odd years.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:54 am

Yeah I agree with others, it sounds as if the vocals were done fairly quickly and autotune has been used to speed up the process. Same thing happened with that Beatles track which had way too much note placement on it.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:38 am

mr.barlow wrote:I don't think Alice has ever used auto-tune as there is no need for it as he can actually sing. Also, in his live performances you can hear some flaws the occasional off-key notes.

I'd be surprised to learn if Ezrin would even allow it to be used in his productions.

Now..I've been a fan since 1980-1981 and I must say that this Pink Floyd tribute album has to be the WORST thing I have ever heard Alice record. I'd go so far to say it's embarrassing. Roger Waters should sue the producer!
Yes he definitely used it as an effect in I Am Made of You.
Sadly autotune is very common it studio recordings these days (and has been for a while). The same with click tracks (and looping). The beat and the pitch have to be exact ( or so the record companies, a&r men and producers believe. Theres no room for looseness anymore. We've gone back to the eighties with cold, clinical but perfect recording techniques but it's ok cos we'll stick the mix through a tube limiter at the end and that'll give it 'soul' .
I worked with a singer a couple of years ago who requested auto tune and when listening to a playback was more concerned about how well the autotune was working than how his vocal actually sounded.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:06 pm

Babysquid wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:I don't think Alice has ever used auto-tune as there is no need for it as he can actually sing. Also, in his live performances you can hear some flaws the occasional off-key notes.

Sadly autotune is very common it studio recordings these days (and has been for a while). The same with click tracks (and looping). The beat and the pitch have to be exact ( or so the record companies, a&r men and producers believe. Theres no room for looseness anymore. We've gone back to the eighties with cold, clinical but perfect recording techniques but it's ok cos we'll stick the mix through a tube limiter at the end and that'll give it 'soul' .
I worked with a singer a couple of years ago who requested auto tune and when listening to a playback was more concerned about how well the autotune was working than how his vocal actually sounded.

That effect wasn't used to cover up an off key vocal it was meant to make him sound like a crap R n B artist.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Babysquid wrote:

This is why nearly all popular music absolutely sucks. The reason autotune is common these days is that the artists have no talent. Why learn to sing when the computer will do it for you? Why educate yourself or learn when all you need is a smartphone? For a large majority of young people (and quite a few old people too) their brain is their phone. Take it away and they can't function. The same goes for a large part of today's artists. Take away the computers and technology and you have an empty talentless shell. It's sad.

It's really starting to hit home as we are losing the true artists at an alarming rate. There is no one to replace them. Who is out there to replace Bowie? Glen Frey? Lemmy? Paul Kantner? What are we left with? What type of musical legacy are they going to leave behind?

You are correct in saying that Alice used Autotune on I Am Made Of You. As Pitkin said, it was used as an effect and not to cover up any singing deficiencies. It was used to add a "current" feel to the song and in my opinion completely destroyed an otherwise decent song. I can't listen to the song as every time I hear it I think of Cher singing "Believe".

But even all of the Autotune in the world could not save the train wreck of the Pink Floyd Orchestral Tribute album. How did this ever get the green light to release? I'd love to know the back story to this album and how Alice got involved. It is one of the most awful things I've ever heard on all levels, not just Alice, but the whole album. It's not even laughably bad. It's tragically bad!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:05 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Babysquid wrote:

This is why nearly all popular music absolutely sucks. The reason autotune is common these days is that the artists have no talent. Why learn to sing when the computer will do it for you? Why educate yourself or learn when all you need is a smartphone? For a large majority of young people (and quite a few old people too) their brain is their phone. Take it away and they can't function. The same goes for a large part of today's artists. Take away the computers and technology and you have an empty talentless shell. It's sad.

It's really starting to hit home as we are losing the true artists at an alarming rate. There is no one to replace them. Who is out there to replace Bowie? Glen Frey? Lemmy? Paul Kantner? What are we left with? What type of musical legacy are they going to leave behind?

You are correct in saying that Alice used Autotune on I Am Made Of You. As Pitkin said, it was used as an effect and not to cover up any singing deficiencies. It was used to add a "current" feel to the song and in my opinion completely destroyed an otherwise decent song. I can't listen to the song as every time I hear it I think of Cher singing "Believe".

But even all of the Autotune in the world could not save the train wreck of the Pink Floyd Orchestral Tribute album. How did this ever get the green light to release? I'd love to know the back story to this album and how Alice got involved. It is one of the most awful things I've ever heard on all levels, not just Alice, but the whole album. It's not even laughably bad. It's tragically bad!

There a plenty of full shells out there with almost no way of reaching there full potential with no labels to get behind them and almost no money to be made from record sales. There is a lot of great music out there if you search for it. Rock will never be as big as before with the labels and radio etc focusing on Rap, R n B and boy bands, Swift and the like. Rock is alive and well just not like it once was.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:57 am

I worked with a singer a couple of years ago who requested auto tune and when listening to a playback was more concerned about how well the autotune was working than how his vocal actually sounded.[/quote]

I think in a previous thread (I am made of you..) it was said that it was not Autotune but a square wave effect on I am made of you and someone added it was more like a vocoder.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:15 am

recoop wrote: I think in a previous thread (I am made of you..) it was said that it was not Autotune but a square wave effect on I am made of you and someone added it was more like a vocoder.
I think it was Ezrin who stated that after people assumed it was an auto-tune.
I think the end result was about the same, but the reason for using it wasn`t to correct the vocal, but as an effect.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:15 am

Yep Si, I think the use of it as an effect is the important point. When I listen to Alma Mater on Schools Out, there seems to be some kind of vocal effect there-perhaps he is singing through an old sock as far as I know- its only done for effect and we either like it or not. A bit too sugary for me on I am made of You though.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Here's a review of the full album, although I wouldn`t hold much weight in a reviewer who things Rick Wakeman plays guitar on it.....

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/musi ... um-review/

"The album starts off with the title song which features Rick Wakeman on guitar and Alice Cooper providing vocals. "

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:26 pm

Si wrote:Here's a review of the full album, although I wouldn`t hold much weight in a reviewer who things Rick Wakeman plays guitar on it.....

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/musi ... um-review/

"The album starts off with the title song which features Rick Wakeman on guitar and Alice Cooper providing vocals. "
An album this bad does not deserve a review with that many words. This album deserves the same review that was given to Spinal Tap's "Shark Sandwich" release.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:51 am

Si wrote:
They appear to have corrected this now. I wonder how long before they correct the bit about comparing him to Roger Waters original lead vocal when it was David Gilmour. You've got to hand it to a lot of Rock journos, knowing nothing about their subjects but writing about them anyway.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:53 am

mr.barlow wrote:This album deserves the same review that was given to Spinal Tap's "Shark Sandwich" release.
I think this album might be 1 sh**ter than that

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by bigbradwolf » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:52 am

There a plenty of full shells out there with almost no way of reaching there full potential with no labels to get behind them and almost no money to be made from record sales. There is a lot of great music out there if you search for it. Rock will never be as big as before with the labels and radio etc focusing on Rap, R n B and boy bands, Swift and the like. Rock is alive and well just not like it once was.[/quote]

Absolutely bang on! Unfortunately the majority of (younger) people embrace the rubbish that is produced by using computers and not guitars.
Back in the 70's guitars were prominent in pretty much everything, from rock to disco. Now they are generally frowned upon.
A lot of bands who have managed to break the scene are okay for an album or two but then people get bored of them. Fickle fans who appreciate artists for a short while, get bored and move on to something else.
Completely off topic but I noticed on Facebook a friend post a reference to The Enemy who broke onto the scene and I even recalled them being 'bigged up as the next Oasis'. They were massive for about a year/2 years and then they plummeted into the abyss of modern music appreciation.
Unfortunately these bands now often get pushed into (after having relative success) into working with rap and RnB artists to keep themselves in the limelight (most of the time selling out).

The rock scene is out there and there are bands to go and see but unfortunately people would rather go and pay £5 into a club to listen to rubbish such as Will I Am in the form of a disco.

Black Stone Cherry are probably an example of the biggest emergence of a new band in recent years selling out in Birmingham a couple of nights ago. They did this with the help of two (fairly big) rock acts to help boost ticket sales. This seems to be the way forward as per Manson/Alice, Alice/Crue.
Demand isn't there even for the huge legendary rock act so newer bands don't stand much chance in today's climate.
I often wonder how long Black Stone Cherry can keep up this 'big success'. There last album didn't do it for me and from what I've heard from their upcoming album I'm not convinced by that.
I've seen them a few times but overlooked their last gig primarily down to the price. I've also read reviews which didn't exactly set them up in a good light (which I find hard to believe as they are a real energetic band)

Is rock dead? Absolutely not! Is it dying? I would say it's grown tired. It probably needs something different to liven it up but how do you produce another Bowie, another Bolan, another Pink Floyd and another Alice?

As I write and record music I'd want to know what my fellow Alice fans would want to see for a new artist to get noticed and be appreciated? Would you want to see another make up wearing band? Do you want to hear music that is completely different to anything that's been produced before?

Devon
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by Devon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:13 am

Babysquid wrote:
I wonder how long before they correct the bit about comparing him to Roger Waters original lead vocal when it was David Gilmour.
Waters actually was the singer on "Shine on...." Gilmour sang it live after his departure though.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:37 am

Devon wrote:
Babysquid wrote:
I wonder how long before they correct the bit about comparing him to Roger Waters original lead vocal when it was David Gilmour.
Waters actually was the singer on "Shine on...." Gilmour sang it live after his departure though.
They weren't talking about "shine on" they were talking about ""wish you were here"