Alice & Bowie

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Gorehound, SickThings, Devon, Si, Shoesalesman

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1244
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:36 pm
Location: holland

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by mestreech » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:24 pm

mr.barlow wrote:I think I read somewhere that Bowie thought that "Thrill My Gorilla" was a work of genius.
haha I can't take that statement serious.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:01 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:27 pm

I agree with the op impression. Early glam rock days there would have been some comparing and competition perhaps but when Bowie discarded Ziggy in '73, they parted ways musically and aesthetically. I think Bowie had a curiosity about Alice in '71, he was always on the look out for what was new, cutting edge and Alice fit that description. But Bowie never stayed in one place too long. By 1974 he was onto other things and any interest in outdoing Alice would be a pretty remote thought.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:35 am

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:13 pm

http://youtu.be/hOAX3g_LAGk
Alice Bowie from 1974.

jacknifejohnny
Killer
Killer
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:44 pm
Location: florida, u.s.a.

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by jacknifejohnny » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:37 pm

Well, that's 5 minutes of my life i'll never get back

Babysquid
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 am

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by Babysquid » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:08 am

jacknifejohnny wrote:Well, that's 5 minutes of my life i'll never get back
Yeah I was wondering what it had to do with the price of fish until I looked it up. It's their character Alice Bowie.

Babysquid
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 am

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by Babysquid » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:09 am

Babysquid wrote:
jacknifejohnny wrote:Well, that's 5 minutes of my life i'll never get back
Yeah I was wondering what it had to do with the price of fish until I looked it up. It's their character Alice Bowie.
Doh!!!! Which of course is written on the op message! Sorry!

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 885
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:01 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:56 pm

ah kids today, probably don't even smoke Labrador

User avatar
MrD Returns
Killer
Killer
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:12 pm
Location: Scottsboro AL

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by MrD Returns » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:40 pm

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:http://youtu.be/hOAX3g_LAGk
Alice Bowie from 1974.

Dave's not here man.
When I die I hope I'm surrounded by burning gas and shattered chrome.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 261
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:35 am

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:35 pm

MrD Returns wrote:
Mr.Bluelegs wrote:http://youtu.be/hOAX3g_LAGk
Alice Bowie from 1974.

Dave's not here man.
Yeah, I know. Did you see it's from 1974?

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:16 am


User avatar
Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:47 pm

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by Mr. Skull » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:11 am

nice clip, liked that fellows reaction underneath :
. So many things bowie did just kind of were too coincidental on ziggy the fact that they used the name spiders (original alice cooper band name) In Lyrics 'he was the Nazz' (another early cooper name). The Similarites of Billion Dollar babies and Diamond DOgs as listed below by tom thrower and myself. Almost seemed Bowie couldn't quite be bigger than alice in u.s. so scrapped the whole glam thing, p.s. at the time seemed like he was trying to do horror/glam a little bit more and just wasn't working. Bowie then went to soul music alice already did that with backing vocals on teenage lament '74 in 1973 2 years

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3485
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:50 pm

Mr. Skull wrote:nice clip, liked that fellows reaction underneath :
. So many things bowie did just kind of were too coincidental on ziggy the fact that they used the name spiders (original alice cooper band name) In Lyrics 'he was the Nazz' (another early cooper name). The Similarites of Billion Dollar babies and Diamond DOgs as listed below by tom thrower and myself. Almost seemed Bowie couldn't quite be bigger than alice in u.s. so scrapped the whole glam thing, p.s. at the time seemed like he was trying to do horror/glam a little bit more and just wasn't working. Bowie then went to soul music alice already did that with backing vocals on teenage lament '74 in 1973 2 years

This is seriously stretching.

User avatar
Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:47 pm

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by Mr. Skull » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Thats why I liked it...

mr.barlow
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 917
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:03 pm

I think in the beginning Bowie was influenced by Alice but as time went on I think Alice was trying to follow Bowie's lead. Namely, with trying to reinvent himself. Bowie was able to successfully change his persona every so many years with great success. Alice tried but was never able to succeed too far outside the classic "horror" character.

All of the bands of the 1960s-1970s were all influenced by each other. It was a very competitive time and each was watching each other to see what was working. They would then take elements of it and take it to another level. A good example is Kiss and how they upped the whole Alice schtick to new levels.

It was the competition that gave birth to the great music. They all tried to out do each other-it pushed them to be the best they could.

Today all you need to do is rip off classic songs via sampling, write some first grade level lyrics, run it through autotune and you have a hit song. There's no need to compete as all of them are equally awful. Also, who has time to compete when there are more important things to do--like play video games and watch youtube--or better yet-- be a youtube star!

User avatar
Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1097
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: 340 Sanitarium

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:44 am

mr.barlow wrote: Today all you need to do is rip off classic songs via sampling, write some first grade level lyrics, run it through autotune and you have a hit song. There's no need to compete as all of them are equally awful. Also, who has time to compete when there are more important things to do--like play video games and watch youtube--or better yet-- be a youtube star!
A fairly blinkered view yet not far off of the mark. There's a lot of good stuff out there but it doesn't get the exposure & by then it's over.
I've Got The Answer To All Of Your Questions...

PFOLGORE
Trash
Trash
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by PFOLGORE » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:47 am

I think both acts evolved independently. In the sixties Bowie was doing gigs as a mime. His interest in theatrics was well established before Alice Cooper even was a blimp on the radar. A combination of Angela Bowie and Mick Ronson coming in to David's life did more to elevated his career than any other influences. Oddy, the one American that he did have a particular facination with was Bruce Springsteen. I don't believe that Daivd borrowed anything from Alice or vice a versa.

Alice claims to have been friends with everyone, he is the Donald Trump of Rock n Roll.

andyrushworth
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by andyrushworth » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Bowie used to drape a blue feather boa around himself as Ziggy which he did say was a nod to AC !

Post Reply