Alice & Bowie

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

tim10cc
Killer
Killer

Alice & Bowie

Post by tim10cc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:01 pm

I did read some of the context here on the Sickthings board that pertained to Bowie.

What was her name ..Elizabeth Cooper ....

IMO There must of been lots of competition between these artist in the early glam rock days.

I have never seen photos of them together and was wondering did they ever jammed together in the past?

Bowie had his 50th Birthday and invited folk to his stage. I always imagined this would of been a great gig for Alice & Bowie to jam together with something like Panic in Detroit of Suffragette City.

I guess as years past Bowie wasn't interested in what Alice was doing anymore. That was my impression.
The road to hell is littered with nice guys with good intentions.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice & Bowie

Post by tuneylune » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Don't know if they ever performed together, but deemed to be a mutual respect going on. Recall seeing a photo of the two at a party-along with Sheryl and Zowie-in a 1976 ROCK SCENE magazine. Alice had a black shirt and razor blade around his neck ("Very Gene Simmons" said the caption).
Would have been nice if they could have done some work together..
"I need everything the world owes me..."

tim10cc
Killer
Killer

Post by tim10cc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:14 pm

I have seen photos of Bowie 1990 & beyond with Iggy , Lou Reed,...these were Alice's buddies as well.

Perhaps they never crossed paths as time went on.
The road to hell is littered with nice guys with good intentions.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:37 pm

Gracious words by Alice on his Facebook page. Regardless of their relationship, there was clearly respect from his side.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:03 pm

tim10cc wrote: I have never seen photos of them together and was wondering did they ever jammed together in the past?
Bowie had his 50th Birthday and invited folk to his stage. I always imagined this would of been a great gig for Alice & Bowie to jam together with something like Panic in Detroit of Suffragette City.
I guess as years past Bowie wasn't interested in what Alice was doing anymore. That was my impression.
There's at least one photo of them together that is all over facebook at the moment.

I think the reasons there aren`t more is 1) they weren`t in the same place at the same time very often at all and 2) if they were there weren`t journalists around taking photos (ie a club or party they just happened to be at at the same time).

Also you have to remember when Bowie was becoming big in the seventies (say 72-75 especially in UK) Alice was rarely out of the USA, and when Bowie really hit the big time Alice was beginning his decline.

I don`t doubt they met on a few occasions (Andy would know better) but I don`t think there was a close friendship/relationship as there was with for example Iggy who he had known for years, and there still aren`t a ton of photos around of Alice and Iggy together either.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:19 pm

Just had a search for the Bowie/Alice pic on facebook or anywhere on interweb lol- no luck-any clues or a link please.ta
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:53 pm

Bowie made his condescending comments about Alice following Alice's hair metal years where I suspect Bowie lost respect for him as an artist.

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:16 pm

recoop wrote:Just had a search for the Bowie/Alice pic on facebook or anywhere on interweb lol- no luck-any clues or a link please.ta
The photo is on the Sickthings Facebook page ;)

SickthingsUK face book page :) - Si
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:49 pm

From si:
"I don`t doubt they met on a few occasions (Andy would know better) but I don`t think there was a close friendship/relationship

Yes, they did meet here and there in the seventies (there is at least one encounter described in the book "Stardust") and there was also that television interview in 1976 when Bowie said he and his wife were about to have Alice and Malcolm Bradbury over for dinner. I think they also ran into each other at that an awards show in 1989 when Bowie was with Tin Machine and they were both at The Juno Awards in 1999 but I don't know if they saw each other on that occasion. Bowie did ask to meet Alice after the show at The Rainbow in 1971 but I don't know if that happened.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:07 pm

I wrote "Yes, they did meet here and there in the seventies (there is at least one encounter described in the book "Stardust") and there was also that television interview in 1976 when Bowie said he and his wife were about to have Alice and Malcolm Bradbury over for dinner."

I now remember it was Ray Bradbury (I think Angie Bowie may have referred to this event as well).

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:13 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:I now remember it was Ray Bradbury (I think Angie Bowie may have referred to this event as well).
This isn't the same event, but this was posted on Facebook a couple of days ago by the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies.
Ray Bradbury recalling his 1974 encounter with David Bowie, from Sam Weller's book LISTEN TO THE ECHOES: THE RAY BRADBURY INTERVIEWS:

"[...] About twenty-five years ago, David Bowie was coming to Los Angeles to perform, and my daughter Alexandra came to me and said, "Do you know David Bowie?" I said, "No." "You know his music?" I said, "Yes, it's pretty good." She said, "Well, he's gonna have a concert next Saturday night, and the tickets are sold out. Do you think you could try to get us in?" So I called BMI and asked about Bowie's agent. They gave me his name and phone number, and they said, "He's in San Francisco with David Bowie right now.

"[...] I identified myself and said, "I want to buy two tickets for the concert. I don't want free tickets." They said, "Are you kidding? David Bowie's your number-one fan. You're gonna come and you're gonna see him after." So we go to the arena to attend the concert, and I take Alexandra backstage afterward. David Bowie comes out and embraces me, and then he introduces me to Ringo Starr. Ringo falls over a chair getting to me. Neil Sedaka, Bette Midler, and John Belushi are all there too, and they swarm. My daughter was standing there like, you know, "This is just my father."

"The next night we had dinner with David Bowie. It was fun because he liked to talk about certain essays and science fiction books. He was off on some discussion about Francis Bacon."
Hunter

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:52 pm

Go to Google images, type Alice Cooper David Bowie, 1st picture top left, from 1976.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:58 am

I remember a quote from Alice , dont ask me the source I've forgotten , where Alice said words to the effect of " we exchange xmas cards and if we are in the same city we catch up"

I also recall another photo with Alice and Bowie seated at a table in presumably a restaurant and both are turning around to face the camera

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:36 am

I think Bowie thought the music et al of Alice was without merit.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:43 am

Timely story
http://observer.com/2016/01/david-bowie ... d-my-face/

Possible dates (Bowie shows) this could have happened:
July 19th/20h
Oct 28th-Nov 3rd

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:49 am

From pitkin88:
"I think Bowie thought the music et al of Alice was without merit."

He liked some of the original band's stuff (there's a quote on the page about him on this site), apparently.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:49 am

I know on an episode of Innerview (a radio show hosted by Jim Ladd)in 1978 Alice claimed there was a rivalry between him & Bowie in the early 70's & then he said something like "We still have that old Gunslinger thing going on...What's he thinking?...I don't know...What's he thinking". The way he said that he was doing his voice & Bowie's voice like Alice is saying to himself "What's he thinking?... I don't know..." & meanwhile Bowie is saying to himself about Alice "What's he thinking" So I think at least from Alice's view there was a connection between the to(at least throughout the 70's)

That whole show was an hour interview show about From the Inside...wish I still had it...my friend & I listened to that so much we used to know the interview word for word & to this day we still quote parts from it

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:25 am

I think I read somewhere that Bowie thought that "Thrill My Gorilla" was a work of genius.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:22 am

mr.barlow wrote:I think I read somewhere that Bowie thought that "Thrill My Gorilla" was a work of genius.
Double A side single with Laughing Gnome perhaps
You are an individual, just like everybody else.