Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: who played what on Muscle of love.

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:48 am

Toronto Bob wrote:
Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
I have the Metal Blade version. Is there a noticeable difference? Just wondering if it's worth rebuying.
I have the Metal Blade cd and a vinyl rip of the MoL quad but I pulled the trigger on this 4.0 mix simply because it's the quad version and I figured it would be nice to have a pristine version of this unique mix.

I would have gone for the B$B SACD if Hoffman had used the quad mix.
Good point. Sounds like it's worth the investment.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:57 am

mestreech wrote:Hi,

as this title is just released as a SACD there are on the Hoffmanforum some questions as who is playing the guitarparts on the tracks.
As I don't know all the info can someone help me and put me in the good direction.
Many thanks.

After all these years I still don't understand and regret the descision not to release Never Been Sold Before as a single. I could have been a huge hit.
I've mentioned this on another thread a few years ago

The guitar solos on Big Apple Dreamin and Workin up a Sweat were played by Dick Wagner. All the other guitar work was by Michael Bruce and Mick Mashbir who trade solos on Hard Hearted Alice.
Mick Mashbir does the solos on Never Been Sold Before and Woman Machine.
Michael Bruce does the solo on Teenage Lament.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:50 am

steven_crayn wrote:I've mentioned this on another thread a few years ago

The guitar solos on Big Apple Dreamin and Workin up a Sweat were played by Dick Wagner. All the other guitar work was by Michael Bruce and Mick Mashbir who trade solos on Hard Hearted Alice.
The above post seems 100% correct to me.

Ted

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:23 am

steven_crayn wrote:

as this title is just released as a SACD there are on the Hoffmanforum some questions as who is playing the guitarparts on the tracks.
As I don't know all the info can someone help me and put me in the good direction.
Many thanks.

After all these years I still don't understand and regret the descision not to release Never Been Sold Before as a single. I could have been a huge hit.

Never knew Michael did the solo on TL. Love that solo, kind of reminds me of Glen's style of slowly bending and sustaining notes like on Ballad of DF. Very cool how the end of the solo bends higher ( either through a varispeed control or a tremolo bar). Also, some really nice rhythm playing(the very clean sounding guitar). Just a great song overall.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:36 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:

Many thanks.

Never knew Michael did the solo on TL. Love that solo, kind of reminds me of Glen's style of slowly bending and sustaining notes like on Ballad of DF. Very cool how the end of the solo bends higher ( either through a varispeed control or a tremolo bar). Also, some really nice rhythm playing(the very clean sounding guitar). Just a great song overall.

I always thought that solo was Mick as Michael complained that Mick played too many creamy solos on the album and that solo ( it's great ) I would think was creamy. It was definitely the standout song for a single.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:05 pm

pitkin88 wrote:I always thought that solo was Mick as Michael complained that Mick played too many creamy solos on the album and that solo ( it's great ) I would think was creamy. It was definitely the standout song for a single.
In his book No More Mr. Nice Guy, MB says that it was the slide guitar parts that Mick Mashbir played on Working Up a Sweat that were creamy.

Ted

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:20 pm

Ted Sallis wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:I always thought that solo was Mick as Michael complained that Mick played too many creamy solos on the album and that solo ( it's great ) I would think was creamy. It was definitely the standout song for a single.
In his book No More Mr. Nice Guy, MB says that it was the slide guitar parts that Mick Mashbir played on Working Up a Sweat that were creamy.

Ted
To quote Dick Wagner

"Jack Richardson brought me in to play on 'Big Apple Dreamin’ and 'Workin’ Up a Sweat'

http://www.wagnermusic.com/discography.htm
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV