who played what on Muscle of love.

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: who played what on Muscle of love.

Post by darkmenace » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:42 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:Yeah, big misstep there. Greatest Hits should have been released in November of '73. Perfect Christmas release. Save the new album and proper tour well into the following year.
Great idea, this makes the most sense. The much needed time off might have saved the band.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:20 pm

darkmenace wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:Yeah, big misstep there. Greatest Hits should have been released in November of '73. Perfect Christmas release. Save the new album and proper tour well into the following year.
Great idea, this makes the most sense. The much needed time off might have saved the band.
Excellent points. A Christmas release of the greatest hits album would have kept up their profile while allowing Mike, Neal, and maybe Alice to release solo albums while also giving them a much-needed break from each other (and from Ezrin). Reconvene for a summer tour and summer release of the MOL album. In reality, I'm sure Warner Brothers wanted as much out of them as quickly as possible to capitalize on their massive success ($$$).

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:29 pm

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:In reality, I'm sure Warner Brothers wanted as much out of them as quickly as possible to capitalize on their massive success ($$$).
Interesting idea that the Greatest Hits album should have been released in November of '73. I refer though to the quote above for 1 possible reason why the MOL album was released when it was.

Ted

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:31 pm

Another reason WB might have wanted a new album instead of Greatest Hits is GH would have rehashed a lot of material from B$B, which was just released.

Let's face it, a lot of blame for burning out the band must fall on Shep. He pushed the band beyond natural limits to get that #1 album, causing stress and strain by playing so many dates in so little time. They got their #1 album, but a textbook case of be careful what you wish for.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:06 pm

That comment will upset the boss.

But yeah, traditionally Greatest Hits and Live albums have often been used as place markers to buy an artist or band sometime while they sort out their new found success, a new sound/direction, go into rehab, or recruit a new member because someone has got the boot.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:29 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:That comment will upset the boss.
Is that a bad thing? I believe it's a defensible position.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:52 pm

darkmenace wrote:Another reason WB might have wanted a new album instead of Greatest Hits is GH would have rehashed a lot of material from B$B, which was just released.

Let's face it, a lot of blame for burning out the band must fall on Shep. He pushed the band beyond natural limits to get that #1 album, causing stress and strain by playing so many dates in so little time. They got their #1 album, but a textbook case of be careful what you wish for.

In fairness to Shep many bands from that era put out two albums a year or thereabouts along with touring. Apart from the sleeper I don't think anyone minded the pushing too much.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:13 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
In fairness to Shep many bands from that era put out two albums a year or thereabouts along with touring. Apart from the sleeper I don't think anyone minded the pushing too much.
My comment was in reference to scheduling the B$B tour, not putting out albums.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:37 pm

From darkmenace:
"My comment was in reference to scheduling the B$B tour, not putting out albums."

I think you're a bit confused. Leaving aside the valid point which pitkin88 made, most of "Billion Dollar Babies" was actually recorded in 1972, so the "Billion Dollar Babies" shows can't have had a real or direct impact on "Muscle Of Love", the recording of which didn't start until around October of 1973 and if it turns out you're referring to "Muscle Of Love" and not "Billion Dollar Babies" as the "#1 album", then you're definitely confused. Also, your statement that "He pushed the band beyond natural limits to get that #1 album, causing stress and strain by playing so many dates in so little time." is factually inaccurate as "Billion Dollar Babies" actually went to number one pretty soon after they started touring to promote it. While, as we all know, there's no doubt the band's schedule was relentlessly strenuous and very tough, there was still almost three or four months from the last "Billion Dollar Babies" show to the start of the recording of "Muscle Of Love". Despite that, I agree with Toronto Bob that it might have been a good idea for a new album to have come out much later than "Muscle Of Love" did, but everyone's in expert retrospectively and as pitkin88 pointed out, the schedule the band was on was normal for that time and almost every major band or major artist at the time was doing the same thing.

Cindy Lang
Trash
Trash

Post by Cindy Lang » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:34 pm

And on top on that WB Europe released School Days autumn 1973.
"Suddenly I realize I saw it all through real eyes"

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:41 am

Listening to the Steve Hoffman disc right now. Very clear as you would expect but nothing earth shattering. The end of Woman Machine is a little easier to understand and at the very end of HHA you can hear someone talking very very faintly. One thing that does stand out is that Dennis's playing is terrific but way too low in the mix. the standouts on this disc are HHA (Hoffman is better withe the quieter pieces )Bob Dolin's keyboard playing is awesome along with the great soloing. This song could have easily been lengthened to 7 minutes and Crazy Little Child slung in the dumpster. WUAS is great too with Michael playing that terrific fractured riff.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:32 am

[quote="pitkin88"]Big Apple Dreamin
Alice Cooper: Vocals
Michael Bruce: Rhythm Guitar
Dick Wagner: Lead Guitar
Dennis Dunaway: Bass
Neal Smith: Drums/quote]

You missed out Bob Dolin's Hammond on this one

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:40 am

Babysquid wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:Big Apple Dreamin
Alice Cooper: Vocals
Michael Bruce: Rhythm Guitar
Dick Wagner: Lead Guitar
Dennis Dunaway: Bass
Neal Smith: Drums/quote]

You missed out Bob Dolin's Hammond on this one

Thanks I was rushing a bit when I did this.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:30 am

pitkin88 wrote:Listening to the Steve Hoffman disc right now. Very clear as you would expect but nothing earth shattering. The end of Woman Machine is a little easier to understand and at the very end of HHA you can hear someone talking very very faintly. One thing that does stand out is that Dennis's playing is terrific but way too low in the mix. the standouts on this disc are HHA (Hoffman is better withe the quieter pieces )Bob Dolin's keyboard playing is awesome along with the great soloing. This song could have easily been lengthened to 7 minutes and Crazy Little Child slung in the dumpster. WUAS is great too with Michael playing that terrific fractured riff.
Did Hoffman remix the album or was it just remastered? Would you recommend purchasing it?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:01 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
pitkin88 wrote:Listening to the Steve Hoffman disc right now. Very clear as you would expect but nothing earth shattering. The end of Woman Machine is a little easier to understand and at the very end of HHA you can hear someone talking very very faintly. One thing that does stand out is that Dennis's playing is terrific but way too low in the mix. the standouts on this disc are HHA (Hoffman is better withe the quieter pieces )Bob Dolin's keyboard playing is awesome along with the great soloing. This song could have easily been lengthened to 7 minutes and Crazy Little Child slung in the dumpster. WUAS is great too with Michael playing that terrific fractured riff.
Did Hoffman remix the album or was it just remastered? Would you recommend purchasing it?
No it is not a remix. You could always sell down the line and get your money back if you purchase. His stuff is overpriced but they are limited runs.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:06 am

I just ordered the MoL disc due to them using the 4.0 mix. I didn't bother with BDB because I felt the LITD/Killer/SO discs were not worth the price tag. Had the BDB disc used the quad mix I would have bit. The e-bay prices for these discs are quite high.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:32 pm

darkmenace wrote:
Quite true..might have been a good idea to release a Live album of the BDB (the 2001 issue sounds just fine to me...despite the turmoil, they still brought it on) and then release MOL later in 1974 after some R/R, work, whatever they needed to do.
Sadly, all idle musing :(
"I need everything the world owes me..."

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:29 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
No it is not a remix. You could always sell down the line and get your money back if you purchase. His stuff is overpriced but they are limited runs.
I have the Metal Blade version. Is there a noticeable difference? Just wondering if it's worth rebuying.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:21 am

Don't have the Metal Blade sorry.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:41 pm

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:
I have the Metal Blade version. Is there a noticeable difference? Just wondering if it's worth rebuying.
I have the Metal Blade cd and a vinyl rip of the MoL quad but I pulled the trigger on this 4.0 mix simply because it's the quad version and I figured it would be nice to have a pristine version of this unique mix.

I would have gone for the B$B SACD if Hoffman had used the quad mix.