Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice Cooper's “Muscle of Love” On 4.0 Quad SACD

Post by mestreech » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:43 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Si wrote:
Toronto Bob wrote:Well I should have listened to my own advice, but seeing the 4.0 mix I tricked myself into thinking that the Quad version was going to used on this issue. Nope. What we have is, I assume (because I just listened through headphones on the computer) a 4.0 mix of the original stereo version of MoL. Quick A/B comparison to the Metal Blade cd. The AF comes in about 3 db quieter than the Metal Blade version, with a mild hit on the highs over 20k. Since my hearing doesn't detect frequencies that high, I notice no difference. It's a wash with the Metal Blade disc and no Quad mixes to be found. I read the promo release incorrectly - my bad I guess. IMO, an unnecessary purchase if you have the Metal Blade disc.

My copy #1634.

At some point I will listen to the whole thing and post any new findings.
Interesting, I ALSO read it as using the original Quad mixes.
Weird to do a NEW Quad mix of one of only two (?) albums already available as Quad and which features different takes..

Maybe Mestreech or someone who is not banned on Hoffman's site can ask the question.

I will do.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:51 am

And done. Now waiting for someone to answer.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:43 am

mestreech wrote:And done. Now waiting for someone to answer.

Saw that. I have to say I don't understand the difference between 4.0 and Quad.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:48 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Saw that. I have to say I don't understand the difference between 4.0 and Quad.
4.0 = 2000s
Quad = 70s

Same thing, different names as far as I know. Basically 4 channel audio as opposed to 2 channel (stereo).
I suppose once things got to 5.1 surround sound (5 speakers plus sub woofer) there wasn't a "quad" type word to use so it all became numbers.
Just assuming/guessing.

Steven Allan
Killer
Killer

Post by Steven Allan » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:54 am

I got this for Christmas. It is pretty good. I tried out the 4.0 version but I prefer the stereo version. Seems I've done that with all multi-channel remixes in my collection (Talking Heads & Nick Cave in particular).

I find the Metal Blade remixes a bit harsh.

BTW Muscle of Love is my favorite album :)

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:13 pm

From pitkin88:
"I have to say I don't understand the difference between 4.0 and Quad."

I thought Toronto Bob explained it quite well - just because the new version is separated into four channels doesn't mean it's the old quadrophonic mix. I don't remember what the original press - release for this new version stated but it's possible it was unintentionally misleading.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:37 pm

A_MichaelUK wrote:From pitkin88:
"I have to say I don't understand the difference between 4.0 and Quad."

I thought Toronto Bob explained it quite well - just because the new version is separated into four channels doesn't mean it's the old quadrophonic mix. I don't remember what the original press - release for this new version stated but it's possible it was unintentionally misleading.
I suppose the confusion could be simply that WE know there was already a Quad version and so assumed that the listing of this as 4.0 meant they had used that version. The people putting together the cover/press might not even know that.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:36 pm

From Si:
"I suppose the confusion could be simply that WE know there was already a Quad version and so assumed that the listing of this as 4.0 meant they had used that version. The people putting together the cover/press might not even know that."

Yes, that's plausible.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:12 pm

I'm not throwing a fit or anything, but I think that that press release is carefully worded. Anyone putting the work into revamping MoL and not be aware of a quadraphonic version is extremely unlikely. Doing a google I see that AF has done a few titles in 4.0 but they specifically state QUAD for some (Best of Judy Collins, Best of Guess Who, Loggins & Messina, Blood, Sweat & Tears, Best of The Doors) and others just state 4.0 like MoL and Sly & The Family Stone Greatest Hits. Both the Sly Stone and MoL did have quad releases back in the day so the difference in labeling is telling.

Just looked at some threads regarding AF Sly and the Family Stone GH ad there seems to be a variety of issues so much so that AF re-issued the disc another 2 times correcting previous errors. Could not ascertain if they used the original quad version though - too much to wade through - but that disc definitely had issues.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:53 am

Cool, I noticed on page 3 of that thread, an image posted by Blastproof, of the front of the SACD - clearly states top left pink circle "QUAD Multi-channel 4.0" But my copy has a reverse colour scheme circle saying "Multi-Channel 4.0" no mention of the word Quad. I am starting to think slight of hand here.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:44 pm

I cant see the bearded one responding somehow.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:09 pm

Yeah, not really interested in his version of reality either. I just wanted people who haven't bought this yet, to have a better idea what they will be getting if they decided to purchase.

I just posted a comment over there but I have my doubts on whether it'll get and stay posted

Here it is
Yeah I'm the guy with the initial question about MoL

See here's the thing, I'm not questioning if this is a 4.0 mix, what I'm saying is that the Quad version from the seventies was not used for this disc. It is the regular stereo version used and then I guess made into some 4.0 upmix. But a person must have a version of the seventies Quad to be able tell the difference. Just like the Quad B$B was different from the stereo version - even if listening to a stereo fold down of the B$B Quad, you would know it is different from the regular stereo version, so it is with MoL. Of course the differences in the quad MoL from the stereo are not as extreme as B$B but they are there. I have since listened the the AF 4.0 in surround, no headphones and no, it is not the quad version of album. If you are not familiar with the vinyl quad of the album it is pointless to offer up a contrarian opinion about this, you will have no point of reference.

When I saw the pic on page three of this thread, on the top left there is a pink circle with black text reading "4.0 QUAD", when I received my disc, the same place the circle reads "Multi-Channel 4.0" the word Quad does not appear anywhere. So something changed along the way, just thought people should have a heads up.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:02 pm

I dont see your post TB.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:04 pm

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:32 pm

pitkin88 wrote:http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/a ... 495/page-6

If anyone wants to follow.
Some people there don`t seem to quite understand mestreech's question.
One says "is there some way that listening to 4.0 through stereo headphones is going to reveal to you whether or not it's a quad mix? Seems doubtful."
It would be easy as they are (slightly) different version of the songs. You just need to compare the new 4.0 mix to the stereo at a few key parts to know if the Quad mix was used. The obvious point to check is the changed lyric in 'Working Up A Sweat'.

He also says "What the other poster seems to be describing - a 4.0 mix created from a stereo source (old Metal Blade stereo remix) is what is typically called an "upmix" which suggests he doesn`t even believe there already was the Quad version back in 1974.

There's also nothing weird about wanting to listen to the 4.0 mix in stereo IF it is taken from the original Quad. It's different.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:22 pm

Si what is the lyric change?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:00 am

pitkin88 wrote:Si what is the lyric change?
From memory, the most obvious one is "the Blisters on my... nose" which is different. Andy may recall better.
I did have a list of comparisons but can`t find at anywhere. Actually thought it it was on the site somewhere but apparently not!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:54 am

Si wrote:
From memory, the most obvious one is "the Blisters on my... nose" which is different. Andy may recall better.
I did have a list of comparisons but can`t find at anywhere. Actually thought it it was on the site somewhere but apparently not!
Scrap the above. My memory is faulty it seems.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:38 am

Si wrote:
Si wrote:
Scrap the above. My memory is faulty it seems.

yeah just listened and Alice's nose is still there.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:13 am

One difference is that on the song MOL after the first:
Holy muscle of love
Yeah, I got a muscle of love
Yeah
Ooh

On the original you can just about hear Alice say "the birds and the bees". On the Quad it's clearer.
http://sickthingsuk.co.uk/molclip.mp3

Not the biggest difference I agree but it's the one Renfield used to point to (with thanks to Hunters list archive where I finally found what I was looking for :) )