Kane Roberts

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mr.barlow

Kane Roberts

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:07 am

I've been highly critical of some aspects of the Constrictor album so I thought I'd start a thread to get other members opinions on the Kane Roberts years.

Lets hear it--the good, the bad and even the ugly.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Kane Roberts

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:00 am

Kane was a guitarist of the times ( '80's style of overplaying) although a good player. The lame drum machine on Constrictor always bothered me as well. "Guts" was a great tune, but better live with Ken. "Simple Disobedience" was also really good. The rest ranged from forgettable to horrible. RYFAY was much better especially side 2. Some real duds on the album, too but some real cool tracks. Kane sounded better live than on the albums, he had a good guitar sound, and always seemed like a nice guy in interviews. He did play on one track, I believe, on Trash. He definetly is part of Alice history and deserves credit for assisting Alice in his comeback.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:18 am

His playing was hokey at the time and time has not been kind to it. I can't think of a decent solo he played and the noodling was just horrible. In fairness the playing on those two turds is probably better than the absolutely appalling lyrics. There is barely a trace of Alice in that drivel. The godawful album cover of RYFAY was fitting for what was inside.

Two albums was certainly enough with Kane though what was about to come was not much better.

Live his limitations were covered up by his steroid bulk, flaming guitar et al. I did wonder at one point if Alice got rid of him as he was getting a lot of the attention.

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:24 am

The live shows were great though ofcourse he was backed up by Arthur Funaro and that helped..for example wtmn was a blast, never sounded better before !

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:13 am

Although it's not really my cup of tea, Kane's playing was exceptional. All of the live footage i've seen he's bang on the money in terms of tightness so i'm surprised by the comments from pitkin88.

Constrictor would have been much better with real drums and a beefier guitar sound. RYFAY was an improvement but was let down by Side A a bit.

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Post by recoop » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:20 am

Just say that I attended the Wembley Arena Nightmare Returns show and would have no complaints about any of the players including Kane. The sound on Elected that day has never been surpassed live based on what I have heard.
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

hurricanenita
Trash
Trash

Post by hurricanenita » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi guys :) I always really liked Kane's playing! He's an undeniably great musician and his phrasing has personality... for me personality goes a long way in a world where there are too many generic guitar players. When it's Kane playing, whether you like it or not, you know it's him.

Most of you guys probably know this, but I didn't know until recently that Kane sang background vocals on the Sex & Religion album by Steve Vai. Cool little piece of shred trivia.
-HURRICANE-

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:26 pm

When Constrictor came out I was just psyched seeing the cover & all I had to hear was Teenage Frankenstein & I was sold (Suprisingly though I didn't care much for the single "He's Back"). I was a fan of Kane Roberts (as he fit in great with the times)after seeing the MTV Halloween Night concert. At that time I was into the whole metal scene whether it was Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Anthrax, or Metallica so I was just so psyched with Alice going metal. Raise Your Fist was a much heavier album & I loved it especially side 2. I got to see the In the Flesh Tour & I thought it was phenomenal & would've rather seen an official concert video for that show rather than Nightmare Returns(Nothing against this one as I love it but I preferred the In the Flesh tour with the Gallows). I picked up Kane Roberts solo album which was decent especially Out for Blood.

Overall while I really love those early 80's albums I was happy that Alice took the Metal route at that time (I actually prefer those early 80's albums to Constrictor & Raise Your Fist). In my opinion I felt the classic Alice Cooper tunes sounded much better with the metal crunch than those tunes sounded on the Special Forces Tour

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Hair-metal hokum, channelling Spinal Tap. KR manages to ruin one of the very few good AC songs from this period: 'Prince Of Darkness'. Lyrically head and shoulders above 99.9% of that '86-'91 nonsense, 'POD' has a great start, until KR tramples all over it in a manner that would put several bulls in a china shop to shame. He never thrilled my gorilla.

darkmenace
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by darkmenace » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:49 pm

pitkin88 wrote:His playing was hokey at the time and time has not been kind to it. I can't think of a decent solo he played and the noodling was just horrible. In fairness the playing on those two turds is probably better than the absolutely appalling lyrics. There is barely a trace of Alice in that drivel. The godawful album cover of RYFAY was fitting for what was inside.
Couldn't agree more. By far my least favorite Alice albums were the Kane Roberts years.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:49 pm

hurricanenita wrote: Most of you guys probably know this, but I didn't know until recently that Kane sang background vocals on the Sex & Religion album by Steve Vai. Cool little piece of shred trivia.
Blimey I didn't know that! That was also the first studio album featuring Devin Townsend. Some great songs on that one.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:35 am

Mr.Bluelegs wrote:He did play on one track, I believe, on Trash. He definetly is part of Alice history and deserves credit for assisting Alice in his comeback.
Correct he played the solo on Bed of Nails
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:52 am

pitkin88 wrote:His playing was hokey at the time and time has not been kind to it. I can't think of a decent solo he played and the noodling was just horrible. In fairness the playing on those two turds is probably better than the absolutely appalling lyrics. There is barely a trace of Alice in that drivel. The godawful album cover of RYFAY was fitting for what was inside.

Two albums was certainly enough with Kane though what was about to come was not much better.

Live his limitations were covered up by his steroid bulk, flaming guitar et al. I did wonder at one point if Alice got rid of him as he was getting a lot of the attention.
[EDIT - Personal attacks that are against the rules of this forum - Moderator]

For the record it was Kane Roberts who was a major reason for a great comeback for Alice in 86.

People who know what they are talking about like Bob Ezrin recommended Alice see Kane live and he got the gig, Alice is no mug when it comes to choosing guitar players and unlike a lot of rock singers actually has a good knowledge of how a guitar player should sound on a record.

You idiotically say you can't think of one good solo he played and dismiss the albums as 'turds'

Freedom with an incredible well constructed solo from Kane was the 'Elected' of the 1980's not that you could ever comprehend that you moron.

Jesus this forum gets worse the way people just let your comments go unchallenged.

Side 2 of Raise Your Fist was a mini masterpiece ok so it isn't as good as what Alice did with the original band or Nightmare or From The Inside, but it's not the garbage you label it as.

Live Kane was great saw him with Alice 11 times and his standard was excellent every night.

Those who can do those who can't just criticise because they couldn't do it you clown.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:01 pm

lets get it out of the way.

I think Kane is great. Allow me to try and explain:

The nightmare returns tour (and what i have seen/heard of the live in the flesh tour) were amazing and the best i have ever heard/seen. The band were on fire and they adapted the old songs into the style of the time; heavy metal (i think trashes the world and nightmare returns are the best live shows he has put out) and i think its a shame that with brutal planet he didnt adapt the old songs to the newer heavier style.
I am obviously a fan of heavy metal and hair metal so i was over joyed with all of it.
I firmly wish that the raise your fist line up had re-recorded the old greatest hits material as they played it live. I loved the energy and excitement that kane and the band brought to the music.

I love kane's style and technical skill (anyone who says he cant play i would presume can not play guitar as he is very accomplished - just different) He plays in an unconventional way, this is true but in the same way that i love steve vai, buckethead, tracy G (of dio fame) reeves gabrels (david bowie guitarist) etc i also love kanes style.
He plays with excitement and i think you can really hear how excited alice is with it all.

I have seen that allot of people hate "step on you" personally i love that song, the lyrics are a bit daft yes, but the music is on fire! and when you hear alice yell "YEAH!" during the guitar break i feel you can hear the enthusiasm for it in his voice (likewise on allot of the bootlegs and obviously the DVD you can hear alices' excitement for it all).

It's true constrictor is ruined by the poor production/drum machine (wish they would pay Ken mary to go back and re record drum tracks on that bad boy!) but it has some great tunes. Life and death of the party, the world needs guts, teenage Frankenstein, crawlin, trick bag and of course the mighty he's back (always the movie mix version tho).

Raise your fist is one of my fave alice albums full stop (easy top 10 - possibly even top 5). i love every minute of it - even give the radio back :) the skill passion and excitement in that album bleed into every note and line. And i hardly need to mention the mighty "summer of blood" section on "side 2" but roses on white lace has one of my fave guitar solos of all time (along with songs like "the idol" from crimson idol and "Pass the gun around")

I know some of the old skool hate this style and fair play but it is a very important time for him and as you know, without it and all of us heavy metal fans you dismiss so easily he would most likely not be here now. And i think how dismissive some of you are is just bizarre especially all the little digs and snide remarks.

I have all kanes solo stuff and even tho the lyrics are mostly really bad the music is fun and shows a real flair in his guitar work and melody lines.

I did hear that alice asked kane to come back around 2000 sort of time but kane turned it down. not sure how true that is though.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:45 pm

steven_crayn wrote:

For the record it was Kane Roberts who was a major reason for a great comeback for Alice in 86.

People who know what they are talking about like Bob Ezrin recommended Alice see Kane live and he got the gig, Alice is no mug when it comes to choosing guitar players and unlike a lot of rock singers actually has a good knowledge of how a guitar player should sound on a record.

You idiotically say you can't think of one good solo he played and dismiss the albums as 'turds'

Freedom with an incredible well constructed solo from Kane was the 'Elected' of the 1980's not that you could ever comprehend that you moron.

Jesus this forum gets worse the way people just let your comments go unchallenged.

Side 2 of Raise Your Fist was a mini masterpiece ok so it isn't as good as what Alice did with the original band or Nightmare or From The Inside, but it's not the garbage you label it as.

Live Kane was great saw him with Alice 11 times and his standard was excellent every night.

Those who can do those who can't just criticise because they couldn't do it you clown.

I am certainly not the only one who dismisses the turds. Quite a few here do.

Freedom was the Elected of the 80's. Ha ha ha brilliant. " Freedom to talk ". Genius. Is the wig too tight?

People challenge my comments all the time. Not very successfully mind.

Which rock singers have poor knowledge of how a guitar player should sound on record?

What is it again that you can do?

Be careful the clown might eat you.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:33 pm

I wouldn't go so far as to call Constrictor a "turd" as I find it more to be like a bad fart.

Now calling Trash a "turd" is putting it mildly. I find it more to be like a big steaming pile left by a Great Dane on the living room floor!

Docwyoming
Trash
Trash

Post by Docwyoming » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:14 pm

steven_crayn wrote:

Why is he an idiot for not finding anything worthwhile in Kane Roberts? In my opinion the hair metal period was one of the worst in musical history, as cringeworthy as disco. Kane Roberts is a poster boy for that era. Pretty much the majority for what stood for lead guitar from that time is just horrible - up and down the neck for speed's sake.

If only those who "do" can criticize, then why even have a forum?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:16 pm

Thank you Doc :)

Docwyoming
Trash
Trash

Post by Docwyoming » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:18 pm

mr.barlow wrote:I wouldn't go so far as to call Constrictor a "turd" as I find it more to be like a bad fart.

Now calling Trash a "turd" is putting it mildly. I find it more to be like a big steaming pile left by a Great Dane on the living room floor!

When Constrictor came out, I was happy to have an Alice album - period. It had been three years. But at this point he should have joined up with the original band. That era offered nothing but hair metal and synth rock, and poor Alice sunk into both (although with only one synth song, fortunately.)

I would have loved to have seen a throwback album, it couldn't have done much worse than what Constrictor did... ( I think it hit around 59 on the charts...)

I will say that "Teenage Frankenstein" could have been a good song had it been recorded with a 70s sound.... that one had a good concept.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Docwyoming wrote:
mr.barlow wrote:I wouldn't go so far as to call Constrictor a "turd" as I find it more to be like a bad fart.

When Constrictor came out, I was happy to have an Alice album - period. It had been three years. But at this point he should have joined up with the original band. That era offered nothing but hair metal and synth rock, and poor Alice sunk into both (although with only one synth song, fortunately.)

I would have loved to have seen a throwback album, it couldn't have done much worse than what Constrictor did... ( I think it hit around 59 on the charts...)

I will say that "Teenage Frankenstein" could have been a good song had it been recorded with a 70s sound.... that one had a good concept.

Strangely enough Neal and Dennis were on some of the Constrictor demos. Not sure which ones.